[DIY DTG] Epson Pro 4000 DTG - DIY tips anybody - Page 8 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Epson Pro 4000 DTG - DIY tips anybody

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 17th, 2014 Feb 17, 2014 9:03:42 AM -   #106 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Epson Pro 4000 DTG - DIY tips anybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by customtshirt
Remove Paper Error

I am in the process of doing a 200 t shirt run printing front and back with this DTG.

I found it was giving an erratic 'Remove Paper Error' and traced the error to a combination of sunlight and 'debris'

As I posted previously, my PE sensor is located so it reads a white strip on my long-board. I had paid alot of attention to the strip at page start so the black / white page start border was clearly defined. I hadn't paid any attention to the back edge of the board where the strip stops and it looks like I was just lucky that the PE sensor worked most of the time and was not permanently in error.

I found that sunlight coming through the window, combined with a bit of white cotton fluff/debris that was laying at the end of the 'white-strip' conspired to confuse the PE sensor and stop it from detecting a page end.

The answer was straight forward once I figured out what the problem was (which took a confusing frustrating couple hours). A bit of flat-black vinyl to create a definitive line/edge where I want the page to end for this board. Problem solved.

Actual production Process

At the end of a print, the machine spits the board out so it free-floats nicely on the rollers. The printer gives a Paper Out error at this point which I ignore as it's true. I then unload the printed t shirt which is easy to keep flat with this system and lay it straight on the heat press. I don't close the platen or put any silicon paper on it until I have loaded a fresh t shirt on the machine and sent the board back to the start position. Incidentally. All it takes is, a flick of the 8 pole switch. button depress the window switch and a gentle push on the board to get the back edge to touch/bite on the power-rollers. The start position I have found that works best for me is the sweet spot that the white strip achieves just behind the PE sensor before it disengages the Rear/Manual paper feed sensor which I have mounted just an about 4cm beyond. Flick the 8-pole switch and the printer then detects there is paper (because of the manual feed sensor being engaged) and it then automatically aligns the start position. By which time I am heat- pressing the t shirt that has just come off and I have hit 'go' on the computer for the next print.

By the way. I have adjusted my RIP settings to 760 x 360 with 130% ink 125% CMYK+CMYK Uni-Directional. I am getting the fastest-sharpest print speed out of the machine with that setting and very good ink saturation with resolution that's as good as the t shirt-material itself seems able to handle, with the advantage that the inks don't stay wet for too long which keeps the edges tight an no creep.

One of the reasons I immediately take the t shirt off the machine when printed and simply lay it on the heat press is I have found the heat that accumulates in the lower platen as you use the heat press, is enough to just flash dry the inks very quickly and keeps the print lovely and crisp during the proper curing. I have my press set for 175 C and am curing for 2 minutes. Obviously with the smaller prints, it does mean I have to batch the work a bit as the printer overtakes the heat press easily. I have another heat press I will set-up at some point if I really need to keep pace with the DTG. Don't want to plug a second heat-press in at the moment as I'm already ripping all the power I can out my workshop, what with the airconditioning running full blast, and various other machines switched on and or working simultaneously.

Edit:-

Nice shortcut on button pushing. Set the RIP to do a few copies. Printer starts printing on its own as soon as a fresh t shirt gets to the start position. Nice...
Hi Ronnie, what RIP you are using? did you know the ICC Profile of AcroRIP?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2014 Feb 17, 2014 9:15:27 AM -   #107 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ronnie

AcroRip 8.
No I am not using an ICC Profile. It has not been necessary thus far. Mind you, I am mainly running AcroRip with EPS files I generate with my normal signage software and generally get away with just tweaking Acrorips control of colour quantities plus light/dark/contrast.

Old February 17th, 2014 Feb 17, 2014 9:32:14 AM -   #108 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
AcroRip 8.
No I am not using an ICC Profile. It has not been necessary thus far. Mind you, I am mainly running AcroRip with EPS files I generate with my normal signage software and generally get away with just tweaking Acrorips control of colour quantities plus light/dark/contrast.
eps file? how you generate it?
which means you create a suitable colour profile? but every image would have different intensity, so how you tweak it? can you share? or what value you use?

Old February 18th, 2014 Feb 18, 2014 2:48:42 AM -   #109 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

What????

I take it you are not in the printing trade... Of course your images are going to be different intensities/gamut/resolutions/etc depending on where they come from. The machine you print with is only part of the equation. There are countless different methods that print shops like mine use to generate and digitize and manipulate images. Whole huge subject.. Sounds like you need to start with the basics. Sort out your origination software. If you are using anything decent you will be able to export EPS files. You might however decide to work differently and use jpgs or pdfs or tiff etc... Whatever works for you. AcuRIP reads loads of formats. It's a good RIP. I just use EPS because it's convenient for me to remain consistent with my other print-systems.

Old February 18th, 2014 Feb 18, 2014 8:03:40 AM -   #110 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
What????

I take it you are not in the printing trade... Of course your images are going to be different intensities/gamut/resolutions/etc depending on where they come from. The machine you print with is only part of the equation. There are countless different methods that print shops like mine use to generate and digitize and manipulate images. Whole huge subject.. Sounds like you need to start with the basics. Sort out your origination software. If you are using anything decent you will be able to export EPS files. You might however decide to work differently and use jpgs or pdfs or tiff etc... Whatever works for you. AcuRIP reads loads of formats. It's a good RIP. I just use EPS because it's convenient for me to remain consistent with my other print-systems.
yes im just a beginner. I can import a lot format likes jpg png psd and others. I just confuse with EPS files. I do not know what is this. EPS is just one of the picture format?

Old February 18th, 2014 Feb 18, 2014 8:12:48 AM -   #111 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FulStory
yes im just a beginner. I can import a lot format likes jpg png psd and others. I just confuse with EPS files. I do not know what is this. EPS is just one of the picture format?
In that case just stick with the formats you know. Forget about EPS for the time being. AcuRIP works with the others anyway. Just get on and print and learn from there. You'll soon find out what you need or dont need.

Good luck

Old March 20th, 2014 Mar 20, 2014 6:00:50 AM -   #112 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Rudy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Hey Ronnie how’s the business going? I have come to realize that tshirt sales in the UK can be quite promising. Hope that conveyor belt is still doing wonders for you.

Old March 20th, 2014 Mar 20, 2014 6:46:15 AM -   #113 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by priest
Hey Ronnie how’s the business going? I have come to realize that tshirt sales in the UK can be quite promising. Hope that conveyor belt is still doing wonders for you.
Thanks... Start of a new season so hopefully sales will be good this year.. Machine is fine. Probably churned out close to 1000 pieces with it now. Just got a couple orders today which will add 250 to that tally.

Done no mods, apart from putting a physical table stop on it which helps it align automatically, spot on every time. For example I let it hit a test t shirt 3 times with a fine-line drawing recently,,, because I was bored and thought it wouldn't do it. Darn Perfect glad I didn't bet!!

Still runs without the conveyor belt. Never gonna put that back on. The rollers work lovely.

Going to make yet another table for it as the one I was using for towels-printing isn't great height-wise and I have a new customer looking for towel printing. I've found an electric scissor-jack device used for protecting parking-bays (see ebay UK and search for parking barriers). Gonna make a lovely raising table out of that probably in the next week or so when I get round to buying one.

Apart from that,,, have invested in some other non-garment printing technologies,,,, which of course I tinkered with myself saving a few thousand pounds.. (I just can't help it!!)..

So alls good!!

Hope all is well with yourself and all you folk out there. Have a good year!

Old November 2nd, 2014 Nov 2, 2014 8:32:05 AM -   #114 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Hi all, this is my first post so hopefully i'm posting in the right place. I bought an epson based printer from china acompany called brotherjet and unfortunately it turned out to be crap, and no help from them, usual stories i guess. i decided to tear it apart and rebuild it with my very limited knowledge of DTGS, i am now stuck with how to correctly connect it's micro limit switches to control the platen height adjustment motor and the forward/backward movement of the platen.
anyone with a fair grasp of how best i can go about it???, any help will be very highly appreciated, i'm at my wits' end.

Old November 2nd, 2014 Nov 2, 2014 1:06:06 PM -   #115 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Rudy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isenyonga
Hi all, this is my first post so hopefully i'm posting in the right place. I bought an epson based printer from china acompany called brotherjet and unfortunately it turned out to be crap, and no help from them, usual stories i guess. i decided to tear it apart and rebuild it with my very limited knowledge of DTGS, i am now stuck with how to correctly connect it's micro limit switches to control the platen height adjustment motor and the forward/backward movement of the platen.
anyone with a fair grasp of how best i can go about it???, any help will be very highly appreciated, i'm at my wits' end.
We can't help you if you don't state what problems you're having. Also provide any pictures you can of what problems you're seeing.

Old November 26th, 2015 Nov 26, 2015 5:44:45 AM -   #116 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Skip

Hey priest, Skip20 here agine.how that CNC table coming.
Just finished a 40/45 CNC table & CNC 4'X5' Plasma cutter.

Started a tare down of a 4880 for a UV printer for my business.
Getting a few errors because I didn't know to disable the sensors before hand.
Got pass the 00010033 , & now have the 00100034
It's in paper feed & not roller feed
Just finished reading this whole thread & though I would being it back alive.
Good reading but pictures are a million words.
Could find that elec. Scissor Jack on eBay.
Give up on the R2000 DTG printer.

This is a discussion about Epson Pro 4000 DTG - DIY tips anybody that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in