[DIY DTG] Epson Pro 4000 DTG - DIY tips anybody - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Epson Pro 4000 DTG - DIY tips anybody

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 14th, 2013 Jun 14, 2013 4:11:47 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Rudy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Epson Pro 4000 DTG - DIY tips anybody

Nice sturdy build. I like to see when a person take a project seriously and go the extra mile to make your project look professional.

Here is where I see your first problem: Remember that the ratio of the timing wheel has to remain constant with the rollers that move the printer or platen. Meaning that if the timing wheel move one inch the the platen or printer has to move one inch too. I'm looking at the roller wheels that meet with the timing wheel shaft and see that the wheels will only rotate one fraction of a turn when the shaft has completed a full turn. That is the reason why a lot of builders rest the platen directly on the timing wheel shaft. Or use stepper motor to adjust the platen movement to match. Hope I was clear enough.

PS
If you put the same wheels on the timing wheel shaft, you will have made them equal. Remember that when you print a sheet of paper the paper is resting on the timing wheel shaft. So if the shaft spin three rotation to complete a half inch the paper would have moved a half inch.

Last edited by priest; June 14th, 2013 at 04:20 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2013 Jun 14, 2013 4:31:07 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ronnie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by priest
Nice sturdy build. I like to see when a person take a project seriously and go the extra mile to make your project look professional.

Here is where I see your first problem: Remember that the ratio of the timing wheel has to remain constant with the rollers that move the printer or platen. Meaning that if the timing wheel move one inch the the platen or printer has to move one inch too. I'm looking at the roller wheels that meet with the timing wheel shaft and see that the wheels will only rotate one fraction of a turn when the shaft has completed a full turn. That is the reason why a lot of builders rest the platen directly on the timing wheel shaft. Or use stepper motor to adjust the platen movement to match. Hope I was clear enough.
Thanks. There will be a conveyor belt (not installed yet) sandwiched between the segmented roller and the original drive shaft. This means it will only move media (paper or in this setup, the conveyor belt) the exact distance that the drive shaft pushes it. The big segmented roller that sits inside that conveyor will not change that gearing at all, but it will transfer motion from the bottom where it is applied to the top. The surface distance at the top of the segmented roller will remain constant to the bottom and in this case the conveyor replaces the paper/media that would be moved originally. The carriage/box sitting on top of the conveyor will travel the same true distance.

Old June 14th, 2013 Jun 14, 2013 4:36:43 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Great. I will keep looking for your first proof print.

Old June 18th, 2013 Jun 18, 2013 2:38:45 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Hey Customtshirt. That sounds like an interesting project! I like your conveyor belt idea. I look forward to seeing the results of your build.

Old June 19th, 2013 Jun 19, 2013 11:09:41 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Oooops!!!! Lovely conveyor belt, fits perfectly.... Shame about the Epson Motor. Not man enough to power it... Now I got something else to think about...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to customtshirt For This Useful Post:
dragonknight (June 23rd, 2013), goto74 (June 19th, 2013), martyw (June 19th, 2013), Smalzstein (June 19th, 2013)
Old June 20th, 2013 Jun 20, 2013 7:24:51 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Nice going! Now you can join me in the quest to program an arduino to control a stepper motor off the A/B decoder signal. I would like to add as much features as possible. Including limit switches with forward and back movement control. The bigest part of the programming would be to get the stepper to move the correct distance with each step off the decoder signal. But that shouldn't be too difficult.

How much do you know about micro controller programming?

Old June 20th, 2013 Jun 20, 2013 10:08:44 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Cool Re: Epson Pro 4000 DTG - DIY tips anybody

Quote:
Nice going! Now you can join me in the quest to program an arduino to control a stepper motor off the A/B decoder signal. I would like to add as much features as possible. Including limit switches with forward and back movement control. The biggest part of the programming would be to get the stepper to move the correct distance with each step off the decoder signal. But that shouldn't be too difficult.

How much do you know about micro controller programming?
Ahh no Priest... I no nothing about micro programming stepper motors.. I'm just a mechanical-electrical kind of guy...

With that severe limitation in my repertoire in mind, I have gone at the problem from a different angle.

First, I ordered a couple of relays and some diodes so I can rig them with 'no-noise'. Mind you there is already a Ferrite Toroid noise suppressor on the Epson feed motor line that I'm gonna hijack the trigger signals from. I'm gonna rig a brushless DC motor and use it to assist the Epson standard action. But first I gotta be able to fire this thing up so I can do some speed matching and test to see if I can actually get away with doing that.... So... I snatched an hour this afternoon and made a lightweight temporary conveyor belt. I used Banner-Material and created and endless-loop conveyor by laminating it with stone-chip vinyl. (Love that stuff!). Pig of a job to do I must say, wouldn't recommend it to anybody, but hey, when in trouble you gotta figure a way out!

Anyway, I put the new temporary (but actually not too shabby) conveyor belt on and tested to see if the little Epson motor would turn it ok using my extremely tired 18 volt dead cordless drill battery. EeeFukinHaaa the Epson Motor loves my banner/vinyl workaround and pushed it round and round easily enough.

So come the weekend I'm gonna try putting this thing together with the printer and see if it bites me.

Meanwhile, I will start thinking about exactly HOW I'm gonna mount my stronger motor so I can put the real-conveyor belt back on eventually if indeed I ever get the printer printing with the temp belt.

Old June 20th, 2013 Jun 20, 2013 3:14:29 PM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

I would like to see how that work out. Your cordless drill battery can still provide a hefty current source even when it's dying. If you're going to piggy back on the original motor you may increase the load to more than the board would allow and cause an error (paper jam) on the printer.

Back to micro controllers: They are not that hard to work with and are just little computers that run small looping programs. They are in every thing you can think of. The one I have I bought on ebay for ten bucks.

Old June 20th, 2013 Jun 20, 2013 5:32:40 PM -   #24 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I'm down for helping with the Arduino controller research.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using T-Shirt Forums

Old June 21st, 2013 Jun 21, 2013 9:40:51 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefox2118
I'm down for helping with the Arduino controller research.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using T-Shirt Forums
Jump to this thread https://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t223428.html

The Following User Says Thank You to priest For This Useful Post:
customtshirt (June 24th, 2013)
Old June 23rd, 2013 Jun 23, 2013 9:26:55 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Bahhh.. stone walled... The Epson has bitten me a 0001001D 'carriage servo parameter error'... Darn..

I cleaned the encoder strip and checked to see if any of the carriage gearing was jammed. I checked to see if it was a complaint against the extended rotary encoder cable, gave a different error when removed after spinning the motor for a second. Have disconnected the conveyor entirely so no stress on the paper feed motor. Doesn't seem to make any difference. I have pushed the carriage all the way up the other end and switched on, carriage comes back at normal speed, clicks, hisses, clonks then gives the 0001001D error. Did that a few times as I read somewhere it sometimes clears this error.

I noticed the carriage isn't performing an up and down movement. I can move the gears manually and the carriage moves up and down. I removed the up-down servo and switched on to try reset it. It moves ok but the error is the same. I manually wheeled the pump motor, moves ok, but made no difference to the error.

Now wondering if I busted something when taking the thing to bits, but I was very careful not to tamper with anything other than removing the sheet-feed mechanisms.

Obviously, until I can get a 'ready light' I can't turn off all the sensors. Wish I had known to do that before dismantling, but didn't know until recently so many sensors could be turned off.

Anyway... I'm well and truly Stuck...

Later Edit:-

Been stewing over the problem in the background of my mind this evening. First conclusion is I have no choice but to continue the project even if I have to buy another print-engine. I need to do this for my business and survival as a small business. I do not see any other way forward financially or technically.

DTG is in my view important, but I do not believe it is worth the retail price. I'm surviving without it with an old versacamm and regular cad-cut machines. There's lasers and ink jet transfers for backup but really, they are not enough these days.

So... no matter what. I will push forward regardless of whether or not this 10 year old 160 quid print-engine wants to play ball. I must have DTG.. that decision is made.

One of my little regrets has been buying the 4000 before checking the machines current versions of popular RIP software supports. I have bought AcuRIP 8.1 from China and it arrives tomorrow Monday along with empty cartridges for the 4000, but the pro-4000 does not appear in the supported printers list. They have moved on but the supplier reckons the previous version 7.5.1 (which also does not show the 4000) should make it work on CMYK + WWWW. Said he was shipping both dongles (we'll see). But its enough to persuade me that maybe I bought a machine that's a bit just too old perhaps. Nonetheless, I want to earn my money back and at least get the 4000 to cover the costs of itself and the build so far if possible. Would really annoy me if it doesn't... but that said. I will strive to have a 4800 or 4880 at least sitting and controlling my conveyor system, producing printed t shirts for my business... Might take a while to get one at the right money, but it's gonna happen regardless, even if I get lucky and find a way to get the 4000 to stand-up and play ball.

Next week I'm busy, gotta stop fooling around with the machine and do some work. Might have a whole month ahead like that actually from the look of things maybe... But. I still will find time to really get into this 0001001D error. I'm prepared to take the whole printer down to tiny pieces... screws, washers and bits of plastic if necessary. I want to understand WHY and HOW I screwed up and then move forward. It's not a game... It's seriously about business and future work prospects. That's why I built the darn thing so rugged. It's gotta work like a dog while I still can...

Last edited by customtshirt; June 23rd, 2013 at 03:22 PM..

Old June 23rd, 2013 Jun 23, 2013 4:26:05 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

The carriage locking tab may be partially pushed in. Check that and see.

The Following User Says Thank You to priest For This Useful Post:
Old June 23rd, 2013 Jun 23, 2013 5:10:40 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mike

This may count as a completely useless post, but I'm planning to start my own DIY DTG project soon, and have been looking at buildyourcnc.com for ideas on the drive systems. I don't have anything worked out yet, but perhaps something on that site will spark an idea from someone else.

Old June 24th, 2013 Jun 24, 2013 2:23:23 AM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Marty

Hi Ronnie,
just found this information in an post from 2010, perhaps this may give you an insight in to what is going wrong.

Your CR Motor has too heavy a load on it, check:
1. The CR Encoder Sensor and the CR Scale must be free from dust and
dirt or any other foreign matters.
2. Execute encoder checking by the "Maintenance Mode 2".
3. The CR Timing Belt must be free from any defects and the belt must
be in proper tension.
4. The Carriage Unit must slide smoothly, free from undue load.
5. Measure the resistance value of the CR Motor. (19.3 ± 10% [Ω])
If the CR Motor is found in short mode, replace the BOARD ASSY.,
MAIN at the same time.
6. All the harness must be connected properly and free from short circuit
or broken wire.

Hope it helps and I have sent a PM to you with some information on a 4800.
Regards Marty

The Following User Says Thank You to martyw For This Useful Post:
Old June 24th, 2013 Jun 24, 2013 3:42:16 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
The carriage locking tab may be partially pushed in. Check that and see.
Priest you are correct. If I keep the lock tab depressed, the machine gets past that error, moves the carriage up and down, primes the pump. I have no idea why it is not unlocking itself correctly at this moment in time. But I'm grateful for the nudge in the right direction.

This is a discussion about Epson Pro 4000 DTG - DIY tips anybody that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in