[DIY DTG] New Gimp White Underbase with 3 Color Composite Printing - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] New Gimp White Underbase with 3 Color Composite Printing

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 8th, 2011 Oct 8, 2011 6:20:56 PM -   #61 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Gimp White Underbase with 3 Color Composite Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrada
Happy birthday Bob!

I found that using the "quality enhancement" option set to 2 actually works, but it does not make the print head pass twice over the same area and then move the PF. What it seems to be doing is making the PF movement half of what you would normally get at that resolution. It does print a little better but it takes at least twice the ammount of time. The best settings that I have found to work (for the color layer) are 2 passes of 720DPI (720x720).

I don't think that gutenprint is using the epson drivers at all. For example when I try to print in high resolutions from the epson driver. The PW always try to find the edge of the paper and since my platen is too low (or not at the exact distance from the PW) I usually get a paper jam. Even If I have disabled the "borderless" option. When I print with guten with that option disabled it does not look for the edges, the same as in EK.

I think that there are some settings in the guteprint printer driver that take precedence over the xmls or the controls in the print dialog. Any way, a lot of testing to do...

Bob, try to print in composite vs cmyk with the epson carts on paper before you dismantle your printer, you will see some big differences.
Luis, You're very busy today! I didn't try that option. I'll have to look at it next...

This is what I did find. See the three images I have posted. The first one is printed in CYMK with the Epson print driver. We needed a base line. The third image is the same image with values enhanced in Gutenprint. I printed 3 color composite from Linux without any tweaks and I got the same result but a little bit darker... Still too faint.

I forgot my Linux root password and could not change the definition files. I am currently reinstalling Linux so that I can get to it... I'll do more of a writeup when I am finished.

Bob ?;O)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windowsTest.jpg (205.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg windowsTest1.jpg (202.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg windowsTest9.jpg (217.1 KB, 67 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorfinger For This Useful Post:
estrada (October 8th, 2011), qqbob (October 13th, 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2011 Oct 8, 2011 8:57:30 PM -   #62 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Benny
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Happy Birthday Bob...and good progress

The Following User Says Thank You to dragonknight For This Useful Post:
colorfinger (October 8th, 2011)
Old October 8th, 2011 Oct 8, 2011 9:56:06 PM -   #63 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Bob, what I found out is that the changes to the xml are actually taken into account by the program. The thing is that what the "verticalPasses" parameter does, is to divide the feed steps. For example if you use 2 verticalPasses then the PF motor moves only half of what it would normally turn. So, the print head would print twice, but only half of the normal width. I know it is difficult to understand as it does not appear to increase the ammount of ink or detail on the picture. Using 4 verticalPasses the PF motor only moves 1/4 of what it would normally turn but you still get the same ammount of ink.

The Following User Says Thank You to estrada For This Useful Post:
dragonknight (October 8th, 2011)

Old October 9th, 2011 Oct 9, 2011 10:29:39 AM -   #64 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Bob, what I found out is that the changes to the xml are actually taken into account by the program. The thing is that what the "verticalPasses" parameter does, is to divide the feed steps. For example if you use 2 verticalPasses then the PF motor moves only half of what it would normally turn. So, the print head would print twice, but only half of the normal width. I know it is difficult to understand as it does not appear to increase the ammount of ink or detail on the picture. Using 4 verticalPasses the PF motor only moves 1/4 of what it would normally turn but you still get the same ammount of ink.
My Bad... Then setting it to 4 takes it two times longer to print? Then what if we set it to 1?

Hum...

Bob ?;O)

Old October 9th, 2011 Oct 9, 2011 12:20:49 PM -   #65 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:

Luis..

ek has just updated the rip using two channels of white... could you test this im down at the moment with cleaning carts installed regarding electronic testing..

Old October 9th, 2011 Oct 9, 2011 3:57:11 PM -   #66 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
My Bad... Then setting it to 4 takes it two times longer to print? Then what if we set it to 1?

Hum...

Bob ?;O)
Actually 4 times longer. 1 is the standard. Setting it to 1 would be the same as not including the parameter.

The Following User Says Thank You to estrada For This Useful Post:
colorfinger (October 10th, 2011)
Old October 9th, 2011 Oct 9, 2011 7:07:19 PM -   #67 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

I tried the quality enhancement = 2 in gutenprint and I am very satisfied with the result it is equal with 2 pass printing but it made the printing speed slower.

The Following User Says Thank You to dragonknight For This Useful Post:
colorfinger (October 10th, 2011)
Old October 9th, 2011 Oct 9, 2011 9:34:59 PM -   #68 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Angel
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 959 Posts

Bob, Luis, what file are we looking at? Just downloaded the source and Mingw. Have not looked at C codes for many many years now.

Last edited by BroJames; October 9th, 2011 at 09:40 PM..

Old October 10th, 2011 Oct 10, 2011 7:02:12 AM -   #69 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroJames
Bob, Luis, what file are we looking at? Just downloaded the source and Mingw. Have not looked at C codes for many many years now.
James, We are not compiling Gutenprint. We are only editing the XML definition files for inks and model. If you download the "Gutenprint 4 Windows" files from the Wiki you can see which ones we are editing for the 1100 and 1400. You can use these as a baseline for experimenting with other models if you wish. If you do, please post the files so we can add them to the "Gutenprint 4 Windows" download.

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)

Old October 10th, 2011 Oct 10, 2011 7:04:31 AM -   #70 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Actually 4 times longer. 1 is the standard. Setting it to 1 would be the same as not including the parameter.
Luis, When I edited the original XML definition file it was set to 2. So, we should set it to 1 to ensure the fasted printing possible.

Dragon, that is encouraging news. Thanks for the update. When you say slower by about what factor do you think we are talking about? I wonder if setting the verticalPass to "1" if that would speed things up considerably. If you are using the set I created it is set to "4." I will change the definition files on the Wiki today to reflect this.

Bob ?;O)

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)

Old October 10th, 2011 Oct 10, 2011 7:21:42 AM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I have edited the model definition files so that the verticalPass is set to "1" for both the 1100 and 1400. This should speed things up a bit. Please download the newest "Gutenprint 4 Windows" files from the Wiki and apply them to your install. Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)

Old October 10th, 2011 Oct 10, 2011 8:21:56 AM -   #72 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
I have edited the model definition files so that the verticalPass is set to "1" for both the 1100 and 1400. This should speed things up a bit. Please download the newest "Gutenprint 4 Windows" files from the Wiki and apply them to your install. Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)
Yes Bob vertical pass to 1 is way better , the speed I refer to is the paper feed motor speed, if I change the quality enhancement = 2 it is the same speed when I put verticalpass = 2. I wonder if gutenprint can be use on Epson R2000 or epson 4900.

Old October 10th, 2011 Oct 10, 2011 8:54:09 AM -   #73 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonknight
Yes Bob vertical pass to 1 is way better , the speed I refer to is the paper feed motor speed, if I change the quality enhancement = 2 it is the same speed when I put verticalpass = 2. I wonder if gutenprint can be use on Epson R2000 or epson 4900.
Dragon,

Great news! We are making some REAL progress here. For anyone who needs a reference the list of available printers is here:

Gutenprint Supported Printers

I did not see the R2000 in the list but there is a Epson Stylus CX4900...

Bob ?;O)

Old October 10th, 2011 Oct 10, 2011 8:56:29 AM -   #74 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Team, I added another tweak and uploaded a second set of definitions. The new set bumps up the ink density so it will lay down even more ink. We can add or reduce this value to our liking. Please let me know how this works, especially with the white... You will find the second set on the Wiki.

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)
AllBread likes this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colorfinger For This Useful Post:
dragonknight (October 10th, 2011), Justin Walker (October 10th, 2011), pracaieiras (October 10th, 2011)
Old October 10th, 2011 Oct 10, 2011 9:51:23 AM -   #75 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

I am using the gutenprint to print on black t-shirts for now and the result is astonishing with quality enhancement = 4 (I wonder how the result will turn up, if I use quality enhancement = 4 + vertical pass = 4). If the time permitted I will take a video shoot when I am printing on black t-shirt, I am also in the middle of my new projectto make diy dtg with gantry style dtg printer (the printer is moving instead of the platen) and with gutenprint in software side using feed adjustment and gap adjustment option, I guess everything is possible now . Btw I was referring to Epson Pro 4900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragonknight For This Useful Post:
colorfinger (October 10th, 2011), Justin Walker (October 10th, 2011)

This is a discussion about New Gimp White Underbase with 3 Color Composite Printing that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in