T-Shirt Forums banner

Memjet Print Head

[DIY DTG] 
4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  102557 
#1 ·
has anyone tried using a Memjet Print Head (memjet.com) its outstanding from what i seen thusfar

#2 ·
I remember going through this company's website about 9 months ago or so and noticing they use a thermal print head. So depending on the ink chemistry, it might not be a good thing with the dtg inks.

From a DIY standpoint, you would also probably create all the firmware / drivers to use the print heads as well. This is what Kornit had to do with the Spectra heads that they use. Seems like it would be much easier to just use an Epson printer and only have to worry about driving the platen base (or the printer) in the Y-axis. But if you got the time and knowledge, more power to you.

Mark

#3 ·
has anyone tried using a Memjet Print Head (memjet.com) its outstanding from what i seen thusfar
I have been watching the memjet for along time... I originally posted the vids here of the prototypes..

im signed up for there news releases and there partner site.. im most interested in the pigment version that was mentioned they will be making..

may be awhile off yet, some of there printers have already hit the shelves...additionally they have some heavy hitters in place as far as executive staff and i think this will be one to watch closely for sure.. theres alot to be learned as far as knowing if this will work well for a dtg including drivers as mark has mentioned.. it would be one fast dtg and i think could change dtg printing overnight if it could be adapted;)

#4 ·
yes, i too have been watching them for several years now and have actually seen their a4 office printer in action this year, ITS GREAT it pumps the pages out like lollies, the only moving parts is the paper feed.

I can picture the future of printing turning on its head.

however the same old question WHITE INK?

#5 ·
The heck with white ink! Over 75% of the garments printed are not using white ink based on the numbers posted by one of the largest distributors of ink. (Using the calculations of white vs. color ink usage from the RIPs and the % of ink by colors sold, you can figure this out.) It is funny how many times you hear the need for white ink, but after the user gets knee deep into doing it they realize that CMYK prints are significantly more profitable and less of a P.I.A. that they actually sell the customers on a light garment print. Not to mention you would have to completely redevelop the white ink chemistry to make it dry much faster before the color ink is applied.

I think the best place for this print head (if you can get past the use of a thermal head with the current ink chemistry) is for CMYK prints at large numbers. Just my opinion.

Mark

#6 ·
The heck with white ink! Over 75% of the garments printed are not using white ink based on the numbers posted by one of the largest distributors of ink. (Using the calculations of white vs. color ink usage from the RIPs and the % of ink by colors sold, you can figure this out.) It is funny how many times you hear the need for white ink, but after the user gets knee deep into doing it they realize that CMYK prints are significantly more profitable and less of a P.I.A. that they actually sell the customers on a light garment print. Not to mention you would have to completely redevelop the white ink chemistry to make it dry much faster before the color ink is applied.

I think the best place for this print head (if you can get past the use of a thermal head with the current ink chemistry) is for CMYK prints at large numbers. Just my opinion.

Mark
Agree 100%:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.