[DIY DTG] T-Shirt Dryer - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] T-Shirt Dryer

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 18th, 2011 Apr 18, 2011 6:57:22 AM -   #61 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: T-Shirt Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Walker
Looking good! Keep in mind that when curing a large volume of DTG printed shirts in a tunnel dryer, the massive amount of evaporating moisture can actually cause the temp to fluctuate a great deal. We learned this the hard way, when we used to use a 16' tunnel dryer with our Kornit printer many years ago. Too many shirts passing through at once and the curing capability is greatly diminished!

Are you installing some sort of forced air system to evacuate moisture as the shirts cure? Very important for water-based inks, and DTG inks in particular!
Good points, If you look at the bottom of the printer you will see a small blue blower. The black hose sends air through the unit over the bulbs and onto the shirts. The moisture should be expelled out the sides (So you would think). I guess I won't know till it's actually working.

Thanks for the input.

Bob ?;O)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2011 Apr 21, 2011 10:58:49 PM -   #62 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Well, since my last post my computer was hijacked by a nasty piece of hostage-ware. I eventually had to rebuild my computer... so a day lost. I have finished the small tweaks I planned and have the screen laid out and glued... Tomorrow I'll hook up the motor and take this bad boy out for a ride! Saturday I will perform heat tests of the oven... I'll get back then.

Bob ?;O)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000293.JPG (4.83 MB, 268 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to colorfinger For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (April 22nd, 2011)
Old April 22nd, 2011 Apr 22, 2011 1:00:39 PM -   #63 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kyle
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Looking good, nice work.....

The Following User Says Thank You to kylelnsn For This Useful Post:
colorfinger (April 22nd, 2011)

Old April 24th, 2011 Apr 24, 2011 3:28:03 PM -   #64 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Don't try this without one of these!

Yes, there was smoke...

Bob ?;O)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg extinguisher.JPG (184.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by colorfinger; April 24th, 2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old April 24th, 2011 Apr 24, 2011 3:37:51 PM -   #65 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Well, the verdict is in... The oven works. Very well! I stopped once I got it to ~333 degrees. I believe it would have gotten hotter. I'm not sure how hot the walls were getting but they are rated only for 250. I'm only interested in getting it to 250 for water based inks but it will work for DTG prints as well as you can see.

I had to put some flashing on the side because I was concerned that the old 2X4s would catch fire! The flashes on each side serve to keep the heat in.

The heat wasn't completely even throughout the oven but it stabilized once I turned the forced air on. I was able to lower the heat down to ~250 degrees using the variable controller on the top of the unit.

I will post a video of the conveyor once the V-pulley I ordered arrives. I had some issues once I put the conveyor together. The screen wanted to travel past the rollers so I added 2" washers and added tension rods to pull the screen downward before it hit the end rollers. It works but my screen isn't pretty anymore as seen in the photo.

The V-pulley that I have on the drive rod is way too big and the tape I put to tighten it is getting loose.

Time to change gears and work on other things till the pulley arrives.

Bob ?;O)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flash.JPG (116.7 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg oven.JPG (93.6 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg laser.JPG (61.4 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg controller.JPG (75.4 KB, 265 views)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to colorfinger For This Useful Post:
alin3117 (May 17th, 2011), Arizona (April 25th, 2011), BearThreads (July 29th, 2011), Denmark_garments (April 30th, 2011), feclark (April 26th, 2011), Justin Walker (April 24th, 2011), orion001 (April 25th, 2011)
Old April 25th, 2011 Apr 25, 2011 12:05:48 PM -   #66 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

hello sir tnx alot for the posts. very informative. just wanted to ask do you have a bueprint of the plan? specially the heater part with forced air? really interested in making one too. tnx alot in advance.

Old April 25th, 2011 Apr 25, 2011 12:09:56 PM -   #67 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion001
hello sir tnx alot for the posts. very informative. just wanted to ask do you have a bueprint of the plan? specially the heater part with forced air? really interested in making one too. tnx alot in advance.
No, there are no blueprints but as promised I will provide a howto for making the oven... Providing a howto for the conveyor would take more time than I wish to spend but you should catch on if you watch the video (Still to be produced). I'll post the details of the oven howto once I have it finished.

Thanks!

Bob ?;O)

Old April 25th, 2011 Apr 25, 2011 12:20:57 PM -   #68 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

yey! tnx alot. really interested in the heater and the forced air.

Old April 26th, 2011 Apr 26, 2011 4:18:12 PM -   #69 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Dillon

Hey lookin great! I'm glad it's workin out for you. So your breaker never tripped? That's good news, what did it total when you wired em all up? I'm also curious about the dimmer, is that all it takes to control the heat? Marvelous! So, a dimmer on the lights, and on the motor would give a decent amount of control I'd say. I need to go talk to some guys about breakin some sheet metal for a surround for them lights and get started on my own already..

Old April 26th, 2011 Apr 26, 2011 4:29:30 PM -   #70 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Sheet metal would allow you to get higher temperatures but you would need to insulate it... I used this:

1 in. 4 ft. x 8 ft. R5.9 Thermasheath 3 Insulation - 787264 at The Home Depot

It's rated up to 250 degrees... I'll be posting a howto soon.

Bob ?;O)

Old April 26th, 2011 Apr 26, 2011 6:42:00 PM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
No, there are no blueprints but as promised I will provide a howto for making the oven... Providing a howto for the conveyor would take more time than I wish to spend but you should catch on if you watch the video (Still to be produced). I'll post the details of the oven howto once I have it finished.

Thanks!

Bob ?;O)
My Nephew Nick would love to draw them up in 3D if you wish he would just need a rough drawing.

Old April 26th, 2011 Apr 26, 2011 9:39:16 PM -   #72 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Jon

First off - this is my first post here (I think). I've lurked for a while, and used to be a regular on some of the other forums. I run a one man storefront shop and have been screen printing full time for 6 years now. Previous to that, I did a lot of lighting work for professional stages and videography. Anyway....

Nice job on the dryer. I'm looking to build one pretty soon. A couple big warning flags are going up concerning your dryer, though... I really don't want to burst your enthusiasm, but I don't want you to die in a fire, either!

First off, halogens are expensive to run! They use a ton of electricity. I would also get some cool air circulating around the bulbs, too. If you leave them on for any amount of time, those bulbs will blow out, and they are not cheap to replace!

Secondly, most light bulb dimmer switches like the one shown are rated for 100 watts max, maybe 200 for a commercial dimmer. I'd be VERY cautious with that. If you're pulling 1500 watts through it, it's gonna catch on fire eventually. If possible, a solid state relay (SSR) would be a good replacement. The only way I'd be comfortable using a regular dimmer is if each light fixture is on its own dimmer.

Again, not trying to burst your bubble... I really think it's great that you did this, and hope it works well -- just keep a VERY close eye on it when in use!

Old April 26th, 2011 Apr 26, 2011 9:47:32 PM -   #73 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

LOL Jon... Your not bursting my bubble... They are hot! And.. they are not halogen. They are regular 125 watt heat lamps! The dimmer is ratted for 800 watts.. only 750 watts on that leg. I have only half of them on the dimmer... On any account I'm glad your here...

The whole setup with the blower is 2000 watts... I have a fire extinguisher on hand.

Bob ?;O)

Old April 26th, 2011 Apr 26, 2011 9:48:58 PM -   #74 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by feclark
My Nephew Nick would love to draw them up in 3D if you wish he would just need a rough drawing.
Perhaps photos?

Bob ?;O)

Old April 26th, 2011 Apr 26, 2011 9:58:27 PM -   #75 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Jon

Bob - honestly, that made me feel much better! I've done quite a bit of electrical work (tinkering is a better term), and have seen some pretty scary stuff! Those details make it much easier to digest!

By the way - the drier I'm planning right now will be a beast. I'm really having to restrain myself from going too big. No more than 30" wide, but I was running number and I can build a 7000+ watt IR dryer that will outperform most "commercial" dryers for around $1500. I could pay someone $1000 to build it for me and have no more into it than I would to buy one of those Little Buddy Dryers!

This is a discussion about T-Shirt Dryer that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in