[DIY DTG] T-Shirt Dryer - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] T-Shirt Dryer

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 5th, 2011 Apr 5, 2011 9:59:11 PM -   #31 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Default Re: T-Shirt Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
Jeff, sounds like the thermo plastic oven will fit the bill alright. I've heard different things and will have to test them. I believe that DTG printed shirts only need to reach 250. With forced air this should work like a charm... My only concern is that being off the grid might prevent this system from reaching its full potential.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with on the pre-treatment machine. I remember seeing you post the spray nozzles...

Blessings!

Bob ?;O)
Oh no.. Im not using my plastic oven for a t-shirt dryer its much to big!!!

waiting on your final testing of your unit.. plan on implementing your plan for a dryer.. the plastic oven was just a reference i use this thing alot and never thought of it in that respect..lol

it has the bulb deal like yours!! kinda looks like a giant pizza oven..lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2011 Apr 5, 2011 10:10:15 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My Bad...

Bob ?;O)

Old April 5th, 2011 Apr 5, 2011 10:45:18 PM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Dillon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Did you figure out all the electrical mumbo jumbo when you wired those lights? I wonder what ohm's law comes up with. Another question, how did you arrive at this style heat lamp? I've seen the red lamps like this and wonder what the hottest lamp could be?

So if yours works well, I wanna hook one up myself, because I'm dreading dropping 2 grand on a decent dryer. I priced a new belt for a 5'-6' table between 30"-36" wide and got prices around $300-350. Add that rotisserie motor and other parts for setup ~$100. We can still be pretty thrifty right?

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 7:12:10 AM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd
Did you figure out all the electrical mumbo jumbo when you wired those lights? I wonder what ohm's law comes up with. Another question, how did you arrive at this style heat lamp? I've seen the red lamps like this and wonder what the hottest lamp could be?

So if yours works well, I wanna hook one up myself, because I'm dreading dropping 2 grand on a decent dryer. I priced a new belt for a 5'-6' table between 30"-36" wide and got prices around $300-350. Add that rotisserie motor and other parts for setup ~$100. We can still be pretty thrifty right?
Ohms Law? Didn't bother to do any math. I just need to know a couple of things here. 1) What is my breaker rated for and 2) can the switches handle the wattage. Too many amps will blow the breaker. The wattage is easy to figure.

The photo on Amazon had the red lamps but they sent me the white. Amazon posted the wrong pic. I could send them back but these will generate heat as well... I will likely replace them with red when they go but reds are more expensive.

I found a rotisserie motor for $18.00 on Amazon (I'm pretty remote and like to order things online). The sides would be stainless steel struts $17.00..

Superstrut 1-5/8 in. x 10 ft. Metal Framing Channel - ZB14HS10PG at The Home Depot

I would make the frame of wood but the rollers would have to be as long as the dryer. So you would need about six rollers. I would make the belt of cloth wire or look for something that could take the heat. The fiberglass belts are rather expensive I would believe....

Just thinking out loud.

Bob ?;O)

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 7:22:42 AM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: [email protected]

Are you all thinking of incorporating some kind of air movement to increase the effectiveness?

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 7:46:40 AM -   #36 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry

thats what forced air means feclark.
Bob. would a cheap generator work for just when you have high loads like a dryer?

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 8:02:44 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I cut square holes through the thermal shield for the lamps to plug in. I have a hole drilled in the top of the unit and will place a hose in the top of this. The hose is attached to a cheap hand held leaf blower that I bought on Amazon... $27.00. The air will blow over the lamps through the remaining space directly onto the Tees. I think it will work real well.

I could use a small gasoline generator. My propane generator eats me out of house and home. But as summer approaches I will have plenty of sun and that means electricity in abundance my friend. So, I remain hopeful.

Man, I'm almost tempted to abandon the whole platen bench and go for the conveyor. I think it would be cheap to build. The only setback would be having to purchase new rollers. I have 13" rollers but those are too short...

Thanks,

Bob

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 8:06:07 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFuqua
thats what forced air means feclark.
Egg on face! I hate egg on face! I have to take a shower every time!

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 8:20:04 AM -   #39 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Bob,

check this out.. I like it especially the cure times if the advertised cure times are consistant.. Im assuming what your building is similar in nature (with the ir heat)

www.LawsonSP.com - Digi-Dry Box

Last edited by german13; April 6th, 2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 9:32:32 AM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
Bob,

check this out.. I like it especially the cure times if the advertised cure times are consistant.. Im assuming what your building is similar in nature (with the ir heat)

Well, It's actually more like a flash dryer but larger. You'll see this weekend. I'm really thinking hard how to build a conveyor using what I have this weekend. I like this idea better than the platen bench....

But, looking at that box, wouldn't it be kind of cool if the DTG could spit the T out directly into a box like this? Not practical but that would be cool automation.

Bob ?;O)

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 10:28:18 AM -   #41 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

Guys my understanding is that the shirt, for white underbase and color over would have to reach 350F for approx 3 min to dry and CURE the ink.
CMYK only is 1 min at 350F, you can use 330-350. Without that I am not sure the binders will activate.

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 11:10:02 AM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx1
Guys my understanding is that the shirt, for white underbase and color over would have to reach 350F for approx 3 min to dry and CURE the ink.
CMYK only is 1 min at 350F, you can use 330-350. Without that I am not sure the binders will activate.
Randy, It varies from Ink to Ink... Some will have to be brought all the way up to 350... Absolutely if we are talking plastisol ink. Now I'm talking water based textile inks. That's about 4 inches away for 2-3 minutes 250-350 degrees depending on the ink... You will have to check the manufacturer's recommendation. Everything changes when you add forced air because it causes the liquids to evaporate quicker.

I'm not absolutely sure what it takes for DTG ink but I do believe I read somewhere that the magic number was 250...

Bob ?;O)

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 11:18:45 AM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
Bob,

You know all that is is a flash dryer in an oven enclosure with a timer... One could turn this dryer into something like that. Your right, it depends on the heat and consistency.

Bob

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 11:23:06 AM -   #44 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
Randy, It varies from Ink to Ink... Some will have to be brought all the way up to 350... Absolutely if we are talking plastisol ink. Now I'm talking water based textile inks. That's about 4 inches away for 2-3 minutes 250-350 degrees depending on the ink... You will have to check the manufacturer's recommendation. Everything changes when you add forced air because it causes the liquids to evaporate quicker.

I'm not absolutely sure what it takes for DTG ink but I do believe I read somewhere that the magic number was 250...

Bob ?;O)
DTG Ink is what I am talking about.
330-350F.

Old April 6th, 2011 Apr 6, 2011 12:44:54 PM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx1
DTG Ink is what I am talking about.
330-350F.
Wehl, I be lettin' yew knowww matie! I'm optimistic we can get that kind o' heat! Not sure what the dynamic of the forced air is... Bob ?;O)

This is a discussion about T-Shirt Dryer that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in