[DIY DTG] T-Shirt Dryer - Page 10 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] T-Shirt Dryer

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 10th, 2011 Dec 10, 2011 8:45:09 PM -   #136 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: T-Shirt Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
Bob,

looks like this one was built with your inspiration/ and plan design..

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-...ml#post1021409
It's always a good feeling to be someone else's muse.

Bob ?;O)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2012 May 7, 2012 11:28:32 PM -   #137 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thats crazy...

Old July 25th, 2013 Jul 25, 2013 8:38:45 PM -   #138 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

I ran a test yesterday with a 300w heat lamp.

At 5" it reached 350.

However, the heat was extremely uneven, with one hot spot of 440 (which scorched my test target). The heat fell off quickly at the edges.

I noticed that the filament is shaped like a triangle, but with one leg of the triangle missing. The light emitted from this (both direct and reflected by the back of the bulb) is obviously going to be anything but even.

If there was a heat lamp with a centered light emitter (like a HID in a headlamp), then I think this approach would have great promise. However, with the typical heat lamp bulb, I think the output is too uneven for curing discharge/waterbase (my area of interest).

Last edited by NoXid; July 25th, 2013 at 08:58 PM..

Old August 2nd, 2013 Aug 2, 2013 3:07:38 AM -   #139 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Roman
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Hey NoXid,

Did You try this with just one lamp? I could imagine that with multiple bulbs the way the OP installed them, the space required to cure the print gets lighted/ heated pretty even, or not?

I am currently looking for a new method to cure my shirts, using mostly water based inks but planning on using discharge and plastisols as well. Until now i've been curing my water based prints in the kitchen oven, which actually worked pretty well. But i definately do not wanna cure other inks in there... especially not discharge inks. Also, i have neither space nor money for a professional conveyer dryer or a flash unit (these things are kinda expensive over here in europe...)

What i am planning to build is a stationary little curing oven, basically nothing more than a 20x20x20" box, with a removable heating element on top (which could serve as a flashing element as well). Front will be open or shielded, i have to see what works better. Distance from the garment to the heating element will be either adjustable by altering the bottoms height or the height of the heating element.

As for forced air, i want to solve 2 problems with one solution: Firstly, i want to install an exhaust fan (some kind of strong inline blower) at the rear, which is mostly for sucking the fumes out of the box, pulling them through a carbon filter (or something similar, whatever works best on formaldehyde contaminated fumes with discharge inks) and pushing the air outside the window. Secondly, it should pull the hot air from top to the bottom, so maybe it should be installed near the bottom rear, or maybe even underneath the bottom plate (which could be an aluminium net or holed plate or something) itself.

Leaves me with the most important question... what kinda heating elements could serve the purpose best. When i started using plastisol inks, i used a 1500W quarz infrared heater manually (the ones available for the bathroom/ baby-supplies) which worked quite well. One could install three of them as a heating panel, could be a pain to modify the switches and electronics though, as most of these have a kinda 3-way switch with a strip attached, which is kinda unhandy.

Other sources of heat could be: A modified 1500W 20x20 infrared heating oven for the living room, heating elements of an electric barbecue grill, or such heating lamps as the OP used. Any more ideas? Been searching around quite a lot. It should be able to heat a 15x20" space pretty evenly, should be rather cheap and relatively easy to modify.

Cheers!
gitano

Old October 27th, 2013 Oct 27, 2013 11:23:01 PM -   #140 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitano
Hey NoXid,

Did You try this with just one lamp? I could imagine that with multiple bulbs the way the OP installed them, the space required to cure the print gets lighted/ heated pretty even, or not?
Yeah, I tested with just one lamp. Having more lamps won't do anything to get rid of the hot spots created from the design of the elements.

For waterbase/discharge I think the best design would use only hot air and not have any direct radiation at all. A heat gun actually does a great job on discharge, but it is a bit tedious for any quantity of shirts. Imagine building an oven that works on the same principle... The exact nature of the heat source really becomes much less important if it only heats air and does not radiate directly on the shirt. All the professional ovens are based on designs first used to cure Plastisol with radiant heat... far, far from the best approach for waterbase.

All that said, I've settled on letting shirts air dry for a bit and then curing them with a heat press.

This is a discussion about T-Shirt Dryer that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in