T-Shirt Forums banner

Epson R1900 DTG thorough documentation, photo, and video forum

[DIY DTG] 
486K views 1K replies 152 participants last post by  epsom 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is for the purpose of deep documentation of the R1900 DIYDTG build. We welcome anybody that has an input to add, no egos here. Special thanks to the team that made the other DIYDTGs possible.

Admin note: this project was never completed. If you need help building a DIYDTG, please read through the active thread here: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t120740.html

#12 ·
So the process had started. I went shopping at the local Lowes. I needed wood, screws, drywall screws, nuts, drawer slides, aluminum angle and a drill bit.
My parts list:
Medium Density Fiberboard project panel ¾” X 4’ x 8’ Lowes Part number 37461 $29.00
24” Heavy Duty Drawer Slides item Lowes part number 72793 $16.48
Qty 2 Aluminum angle 1/16” x 3’ Lowes part number 31196 $4.67 each
Contractors bag of 10/24 Nylon insert lock nuts Lowes Part Number 117730 $7.07
Bag of 10 10/24 x ½” round head screws Lowes part number 57818 $1.18
Bag of 6 10/24 X 1 ½” round head screws Lowes Part number 57861 $1.18
Bag of 36 #8 flat washers Lowes Part Number 58122 $1.18
A 13/64 Drill Lowes Part Number 219735 $2.17
Box of 1 5/8” drywall screws Lowes Part Number 112599 $5.94

Attachments

#14 ·
I had the MDF panel cut into three parts at the store two 3 feet wide parts leaving a 2 foot part. Two cuts are free, it makes it easier to bring along.
I cut it up as follows.
Start by cutting the flatbed base to 33” x 36”
Cut two front supports to 5 ½” x 2 ½”
Cut back wall to 33” x 6 ¼”
Cut front lip to 14 ½” x 1 ½”
Cut two mother board supports to 8 ½” x 4”
Cut two tunnel side walls to 35 ¼” x 5 ½”
Cut two top wings to 35 ¼” x 9 ¼”

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
We looked over the clue book to gather what we could and my nephew Nick drew it up on Google Sketchup. For a young man the dude rules that program. This post is to give the man credit for a job well started. All 3d drawing’s you see now and in the future are produced by him.

Attachments

#17 ·
Next add your back, Tunnel Sides, and front part. I recommend using a brad nailer if you have one, use 1 ¾” brads. If not use the drywall screws and PRE DRILL! I split a few parts with the drywall screws. The brad nailer worked real well and is very tight!
NOTE If this is a keeper, paint all parts before assembly! This is a learning step for me for my next build for a different purpose in the art world, so no paint needed. You need to paint yours!

Attachments

#18 ·
OK let’s add some rails! If you are using the rails I used from Lowes place them on the floor of the box and draw a line above them. This is the rail mount line. Now place another rail on top of that rail and make it 4 1/2” from the back of the box. Mark your holes with a sharpie. See photos below. Drill the holes with the 13/64 bit. This bit gives a very snug fit. Repeat on the other side. Do not mount the rails yet.

Attachments

#19 ·
I want to restate this is my first build. I will be making corrections if they are brought to my attention, and or by the school of hard knocks as I go. So if you are building along you have been warned. I intend to document everything. Going to bed now good night all! More on Tuesday.

#25 ·
Hey just bought a new r1800 with out the printhead on ebay. Feel better about hacking on a junker to start and having parts just in case. Not sure if it is a good deal or not just works for me and my mission of documentation.

Epson R1900 Printer ~Broken~ Sold as parts ~ - eBay (item 160558900781 end time Apr-12-11 18:27:26 PDT)
A little costly, but better safe then sorry. Look closely you can get 2200, or r1900 cheep as well. have you figured where to cut the pe sensor slot. i just put the drawer together. I'm using the cheep wood to start just because don't want to mess up better practice cheap. you should try craigslist in your area. heck i just picked up a fully functional epson stylus pro 4000 for $150.

#30 ·
Thanks to ZANONE we now have a link to the exploded view of the R1900. I will have my nephew draw in to 3D CAD the relevant parts with dimensions.

[media]http://www.gedat-ersatzteile.de/ex/sty_photo-r1800.pdf[/media]

Wont show up just click to see it. It is a PDF file.

Any input you can give like this is so welcomed and helpful to everyone!

Thank you Zanone!

#31 ·
At this point you need to cut the angle aluminum Qty 2 Aluminum angle 1/16” x 3’ Lowes part number 31196 to 24”. I used my cut off saw it cut like butter.
At the end of the slider 24” Heavy Duty Drawer Slides item Lowes part number 72793 , the last one out, you can hit the release lever and it will come out. Take your angle aluminum and put it on the counter. Put the slider end on the table against the angle aluminum. Line up the back ends and mark the angle holes with a sharpie. Use a punch to center the hole. Drill the holes with the 13/64 bit. This bit gives a very snug fit. Repeat on the other side. Make sure you take note of the proper sides. When you’re done it is time to join the sliders to the angle aluminum. Note that I used the vertical holes on the sliders!

To do this you will use the Bag of 10 10/24 x ½” round head screws Lowes part number 57818 and Contractors bag of 10/24 Nylon insert lock nuts Lowes Part Number 117730. Screw the slider ends to the angle. The screws should come from the sliders with the nuts on the angle aluminum side. When it is done it should look like the photos below. Sorry I did not take photos of this process. I will be sure to take a lot in the future.

Attachments

#32 ·
Ok you have earned the right to mount your sliders! This is easy! You will need - 10/24 X 1 ½” round head screws Lowes Part number 57861 - 0/24 Nylon insert lock nuts Lowes Part Number 117730 – and #8 flat washers Lowes Part Number 58122 . So it’s time to mount the rear of your sliders to the tunnel walls. Take the screws and put them through the sliders, then the tunnel sides, then add the washer and lock nuts. Repeat the other side and slide the slider ends back into place. Refer to the photos below if you need help.

Attachments

#34 ·
Hold off on the mother board mounts as I am not so sure where to put them as of yet. When my printer arrives I will cover this portion. This is all until this weekend when I want to start on the drawer. Any heads up or ideas would be great on the drawer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.