[DIY DTG] Epson R1900 DTG thorough documentation, photo, and video forum - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Epson R1900 DTG thorough documentation, photo, and video forum

Like Tree41Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 15th, 2011 Mar 15, 2011 6:45:09 PM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: [email protected]
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Epson R1900 DTG thorough documentation, photo, and video forum

At this point you need to cut the angle aluminum Qty 2 Aluminum angle 1/16” x 3’ Lowes part number 31196 to 24”. I used my cut off saw it cut like butter.
At the end of the slider 24” Heavy Duty Drawer Slides item Lowes part number 72793 , the last one out, you can hit the release lever and it will come out. Take your angle aluminum and put it on the counter. Put the slider end on the table against the angle aluminum. Line up the back ends and mark the angle holes with a sharpie. Use a punch to center the hole. Drill the holes with the 13/64 bit. This bit gives a very snug fit. Repeat on the other side. Make sure you take note of the proper sides. When you’re done it is time to join the sliders to the angle aluminum. Note that I used the vertical holes on the sliders!

To do this you will use the Bag of 10 10/24 x ½” round head screws Lowes part number 57818 and Contractors bag of 10/24 Nylon insert lock nuts Lowes Part Number 117730. Screw the slider ends to the angle. The screws should come from the sliders with the nuts on the angle aluminum side. When it is done it should look like the photos below. Sorry I did not take photos of this process. I will be sure to take a lot in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0060.jpg (1,002.5 KB, 1479 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0061.jpg (1.10 MB, 1340 views)
kosasih and roma15 like this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feclark For This Useful Post:
aju_jp (April 1st, 2011), DTFuqua (March 15th, 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2011 Mar 15, 2011 7:03:13 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Ok you have earned the right to mount your sliders! This is easy! You will need - 10/24 X 1 ½” round head screws Lowes Part number 57861 - 0/24 Nylon insert lock nuts Lowes Part Number 117730 – and #8 flat washers Lowes Part Number 58122 . So it’s time to mount the rear of your sliders to the tunnel walls. Take the screws and put them through the sliders, then the tunnel sides, then add the washer and lock nuts. Repeat the other side and slide the slider ends back into place. Refer to the photos below if you need help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0059.jpg (914.8 KB, 827 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0058.jpg (1.07 MB, 950 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0062.jpg (1.15 MB, 597 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0064.jpg (1.29 MB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0066.jpg (1.10 MB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0063.jpg (1.23 MB, 651 views)
kosasih likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feclark For This Useful Post:
aju_jp (April 1st, 2011), ipatch (August 2nd, 2015)
Old March 15th, 2011 Mar 15, 2011 7:07:51 PM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Ok time to put the top sides on and the top side supports. If you decide to screw them make sure you predrill! I personally used my brad nailer with the 1 ¾” brads. Not much to say here just nail or screw them in place!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0067.jpg (1.17 MB, 908 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to feclark For This Useful Post:
aju_jp (April 1st, 2011)

Old March 15th, 2011 Mar 15, 2011 7:10:55 PM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Hold off on the mother board mounts as I am not so sure where to put them as of yet. When my printer arrives I will cover this portion. This is all until this weekend when I want to start on the drawer. Any heads up or ideas would be great on the drawer.

Old March 15th, 2011 Mar 15, 2011 7:17:11 PM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

I want to add the Google Sketchup files although I cannot figure out how? If push comes to shove I will invoke my web skills and make a page for them. If you have a idea let me know, I really want to share them with you, and this is the proper venue.

Old March 15th, 2011 Mar 15, 2011 7:45:13 PM -   #36 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm curious as to why you installed the aluminum angle with the foot on top. (when refering to structural angle iron or aluminum, the verticle piece is generaly refered to as the leg and the horizontal part is the foot)? Are you building with a belt drive system? If so, what made you decide to use a belt drive instead of friction drive of the platen tray? Please take lots of pictures of how and where and why you plase the PE sensor and with measurements please.

The Following User Says Thank You to DTFuqua For This Useful Post:
aRiFy (October 25th, 2011)
Old March 15th, 2011 Mar 15, 2011 8:52:29 PM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Yes a belt drive system. From reading it seems a friction drive system has been tested and abandoned a couple of times. I did start with a friction system and went to a mechanical engineer friend of mine that works at a urethane company. He told me a friction system might work but in the long run it would not be reliable in a precision setting like an inkjet. He favored a timing belt design for repeatability. With that said I am no expert and things are invented by thinking outside the box. My thought going into this is a friction based system really takes care of the timing problem if you keep you driver size exactly the same.
As for the PE sensor wow that one has me really thinking. I will be doing a lot of reading and asking questions for that one. We will do a 3D cad of what we do and also plenty of photos and measuring. I want this to be the bible of how to build this thing without a lot of guesswork. Thanks for your comment!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to feclark For This Useful Post:
aju_jp (March 16th, 2011), DTFuqua (March 16th, 2011), ipatch (August 2nd, 2015)
Old March 15th, 2011 Mar 15, 2011 9:59:10 PM -   #38 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feclark
Want to do the 7890 after I get this one correct.
I would suggest researching the pro printers with a microscope..lol you will be very surprized at the end result..

for example i had never seen a real time print of a 48xx series commercial dtg printer..(theres a reason for this.. Imho)

they are much slower than a desktop..imho with facts there is a difference from how the printers are controlled from rip, one being the pro printers are interweaved internally (giving less control in the rip software) additionally the pro printers head travels the entire platen or page size selected: for example if you have selected an 17" platen size on a 4800 it will travel this entire distance regardless if the image is just a three inch graphic in the center.. you can change the paper/platen size to say 8x11 and it will only travel the 8 inches but will not be centered to the platen..

do some research in the why rips are so important thread on the commercial side and this is explained in detail.. allso watch one in action, to get good ink coverage it has to be printed in a high res and is very slow, when printed in a lower res its faster but, the image isnt desireable..IMHO the printers are designed for pro photagraphers hence when they select 17 width the are printing this full 17 of expensive photo paper (head travels entire width) not to many folks like to waste 17inch photo paper for a small pic/graphic..

I think the pro printers are highly overated for what us dtg'ers do.. the only advantage i see is the extra 4 inch width, i have never ran into an image that was to large by turning the shirt sideways on the platen to overcome this.. additionally we have never had the need to print over a 13" width. most of the multi platen 48xx pro printers dont take advantage of this anyways if you notice there platens are placed sideways on the table "allowing the user to easily load in this type configuration" In fact i would use a wf 1100 or two before converting a pro printer after i experimented with this.. save your money

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
aju_jp (March 16th, 2011), bjdbjd (March 16th, 2011), bushkill (March 16th, 2011), dragonknight (March 16th, 2011), DTFuqua (March 16th, 2011), ipatch (August 2nd, 2015)
Old March 15th, 2011 Mar 15, 2011 10:08:12 PM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
I would suggest researching the pro printers with a microscope..lol you will be very surprized at the end result..

for example i had never seen a real time print of a 48xx series commercial dtg printer..(theres a reason for this.. Imho)

they are much slower than a desktop..imho with facts there is a difference from how the printers are controlled from rip, one being the pro printers are interweaved internally (giving less control in the rip software) additionally the pro printers head travels the entire platen or page size selected: for example if you have selected an 17" platen size on a 4800 it will travel this entire distance regardless if the image is just a three inch graphic in the center.. you can change the paper/platen size to say 8x11 and it will only travel the 8 inches but will not be centered to the platen..

do some research in the why rips are so important thread on the commercial side and this is explained in detail.. allso watch one in action, to get good ink coverage it has to be printed in a high res and is very slow, when printed in a lower res its faster but, the image isnt desireable..IMHO the printers are designed for pro photagraphers hence when they select 17 width the are printing this full 17 of expensive photo paper (head travels entire width) not to many folks like to waste 17inch photo paper for a small pic/graphic..

I think the pro printers are highly overated for what us dtg'ers do.. the only advantage i see is the extra 4 inch width, i have never ran into an image that was to large by turning the shirt sideways on the platen to overcome this.. additionally we have never had the need to print over a 13" width. most of the multi platen 48xx pro printers dont take advantage of this anyways if you notice there platens are placed sideways on the table "allowing the user to easily load in this type configuration" In fact i would use a wf 1100 or two before converting a pro printer after i experimented with this.. save your money
I was looking at the pro printer because I have a need for the wide print (42")in the art world (not DTG). Do you think it is possible with what you have seen?

Old March 15th, 2011 Mar 15, 2011 10:50:44 PM -   #40 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
I was looking at the pro printer because I have a need for the wide print (42")in the art world (not DTG). Do you think it is possible with what you have seen?
not quite sure what your application is?

if your printing directly to a paper i dont think you would need a mod for those printers

Old March 16th, 2011 Mar 16, 2011 5:10:53 AM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
not quite sure what your application is?

if your printing directly to a paper i dont think you would need a mod for those printers
Wood and Glass need the flatbed ability.

Old March 16th, 2011 Mar 16, 2011 6:22:28 AM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Benny

Quote:
Wood and Glass need the flatbed ability.
For glass I think you need a heated platen while printing so you need to add additional heated capable platen using stainless steel material is the best or any steels.

Old March 16th, 2011 Mar 16, 2011 10:30:12 AM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

this applies to the Epson 1100 too, took two attempts to have if they got to the third

Old March 16th, 2011 Mar 16, 2011 10:34:33 AM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

this also applies to the Epson 1100
I am Spanish and I can hardly understand the plans by the actions and language, but I think I'll get that with the photos and videos there
languages

Old March 16th, 2011 Mar 16, 2011 11:34:18 AM -   #45 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: daniel

Thank you for starting the thread. I know I could have worked it out but this makes it allot easier for people get the basics and go from there.

Thank you

This is a discussion about Epson R1900 DTG thorough documentation, photo, and video forum that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in