[DIY DTG] Rifling the inside of the ink lines, to dynamically mix the ink? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Rifling the inside of the ink lines, to dynamically mix the ink?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 18th, 2010 Jul 18, 2010 2:24:03 PM -   #16 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Default Re: Rifling the inside of the ink lines, to dynamically mix the ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by essen48183
I would put my money on that degassed ink is simply ink that was stirred in a container (with air in it, but air at much lower than atmospheric pressure by way of a vacuum) and a petcock in the bottom is opened to fill up an IV type bag... which if entirely under water except for the nipple prior to filling would be free of air.
The degassing process is much more that this. There are tiny air bubbles that are incorporated into the ink. The process of degassing removes these as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2010 Jul 18, 2010 4:26:10 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
I was going to look into this bag system..i dont think its a big deal, we can prolly bag our own..

just gotta figure out the process..lol looks to just be vaccuum sealed bags..which that would be simple if thats the case.. what else can it be? just the ink with the air removed..

they call it degassed...whats the gas oxygen?
Lot of advantages to bagged or closed system. Minimizes waste u can use all the bag. Reduces air contact so less evaporation which means less gumming up. But it is sold at a premium price. About 50% more expensive. Sent u pm.

The Following User Says Thank You to spiderx1 For This Useful Post:
german13 (July 18th, 2010)
Old July 18th, 2010 Jul 18, 2010 6:21:54 PM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Justin

Old July 18th, 2010 Jul 18, 2010 6:30:58 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Mark

HaHa... I'm just curious, what was that supposed to do for the beer?

Old July 18th, 2010 Jul 18, 2010 7:01:07 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Essen
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I bet it's easier to keep the white mixed, too. Couple of kneads and flip it over at the beginning of the day. My last guess is as above, but in an enclosed system. I figured it out I think while spraying a seeping fire hose today.

semi-permeable tubing run inside a container that is under vacuum... that'd be the easiest way. It'd have an ink inlet, a vacuum out, and a degassed ink out. might even be able to be made as simple out of pvc vacuum chamber made of plumbing from home depot with teflon tubing (which is a semipermeable membranes that allows o2 and co2 passage through the walls of the tubing but not liquid). Basically like a dialysis machine, but with smaller "holes" in the membrane- hence choosing teflon.

They make teflon in very tiny tubes for medical purposes, like iv catheters. I bet you could glass a bundle of them together just at the ends then saw the ends off and you'd have a ... lemme draw it.

this is the DIG DTG forum after all.
Attached Images
File Type: png ink-degasser.png (176.1 KB, 28 views)

Old July 18th, 2010 Jul 18, 2010 7:39:32 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornover
HaHa... I'm just curious, what was that supposed to do for the beer?
... keeps the hops pigment from settling at the bottom of the beer, thus clogging the spout.... Or your liver...... Or something.....

Old July 19th, 2010 Jul 19, 2010 5:53:23 AM -   #22 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx1
About 50% more expensive. Sent u pm.
Unless you are paying $185 for a liter of ink no matter what color, it's not 50% more. Not only that, but factor in all the savings you get from extended head life, less clogging to contend with and less damage shirts which cost money in both the garment, pretreat and inks, and you quickly realize it's no where near as expensive, in fact it can be quite a bit less. The larger volume of inks uses is white, and most companies sell that at a higher price, we keep it the same. We've discussed it extensively, but open bottle inks perform much different than degassed inks. It's a long process to degas inks but we've found in the end, it's worth it.

We also have larger volume discounts (5L), mix and match any color. So in the end, the pricing for our customers truly isn't a factor.

Old July 19th, 2010 Jul 19, 2010 9:51:13 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeridHill
Unless you are paying $185 for a liter of ink no matter what color, it's not 50% more. Not only that, but factor in all the savings you get from extended head life, less clogging to contend with and less damage shirts which cost money in both the garment, pretreat and inks, and you quickly realize it's no where near as expensive, in fact it can be quite a bit less. The larger volume of inks uses is white, and most companies sell that at a higher price, we keep it the same. We've discussed it extensively, but open bottle inks perform much different than degassed inks. It's a long process to degas inks but we've found in the end, it's worth it.

We also have larger volume discounts (5L), mix and match any color. So in the end, the pricing for our customers truly isn't a factor.
Well actually the price on 1/2 liter of white is $160 plus shipping so all said and done its getting up there. I think i paid a little more than that several months back. I would have to dig out the reciept. But that a side i agree with everything else u said about the bagged ink. Varing degrees depending on dampers vs cart but it did wonders for my white ink problems and as said really minimizes waste.

Old July 19th, 2010 Jul 19, 2010 9:55:46 AM -   #24 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx1
Well actually the price on 1/2 liter of white is $160 plus shipping so all said and done its getting up there. I think i paid a little more than that several months back. I would have to dig out the reciept. But that a side i agree with everything else u said about the bagged ink. Varing degrees depending on dampers vs cart but it did wonders for my white ink problems and as said really minimizes waste.
Yes, half a liter of ink is $160, but when you purchase a liter regardless of color (i.e. 250ml of CMY&K), it's $280. Not sure if you knew that, just wanted to clarify. That being said, if you are pricing according to $160/500ml, then I see your point!

Old July 21st, 2010 Jul 21, 2010 7:50:57 PM -   #25 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,075 Posts

so rather than rifling what about something more like and intake chamber on a combustion engine that is rough to cause the mixing?

Old July 22nd, 2010 Jul 22, 2010 6:06:34 AM -   #26 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Justin,

The reason for not hearing a lot about WIMS is that virtually all of them are installed on new printers. The bag system is being considered an "upgrade" to technology on machines that were developed two or more generations ago. Stands to reason that those folks would see an improvement as the technology is newer and presumably improved. There are nearly 2000 machines worldwide running WIMS and since its introduction we have seen a noted reduction in print head replacements as well as less settling issues and ink starvation.

In regards to degassing - there are several ways to do it, Google it and you will see them. Typically it is done with a large pump (vacuum) and filters and takes a fair amount of time, though the process is not linear - meaning 10 liters doesn't take twice as long as 5 liters to degass. Degassing does help to improve ink performance (though marginally in smaller format machines like most direct to garment printers) - but settling of white ink is a far larger problem for direct to garment printing.

PS - the vortex bottle was the first thing that came to mind when I started reading this thread - good catch!

Old July 22nd, 2010 Jul 22, 2010 12:03:12 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-SWF East
PS - the vortex bottle was the first thing that came to mind when I started reading this thread - good catch!
I actually think I saw a commercial for it on TV a few weeks ago, and that is what sparked my thought process! Once again, Miller Lite puts my brain on the right path....

Old July 22nd, 2010 Jul 22, 2010 5:35:58 PM -   #28 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Walker
Once again, Miller Lite puts my brain on the right path....
Scotch works faster

The Following User Says Thank You to binki For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (July 23rd, 2010)

This is a discussion about Rifling the inside of the ink lines, to dynamically mix the ink? that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in