[DIY DTG] Mission accomplished "license to thrill" - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Mission accomplished "license to thrill"

Like Tree114Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 27th, 2010 Jun 27, 2010 10:31:45 AM -   #46 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Dylan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"

I had no clue about this kind of printing until two days ago I don't go to trade shows or follow the normal trend changes because old habits are hard to break and I have been printing close to 1000 shirts a week for ten years so I wanted to know if there was an easier way and I think I may have found it. If you wouldn't mind when you decide to release the plans could you possibly P.M. me with details on whether or not your going to sell them or offer for free and where to get them I am greatly interested. I have already built several printer based machines like a cnc and an engraver. So I know I can handle a build like this if they are available.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2010 Jun 27, 2010 10:38:02 AM -   #47 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyredh
I had no clue about this kind of printing until two days ago I don't go to trade shows or follow the normal trend changes because old habits are hard to break and I have been printing close to 1000 shirts a week for ten years so I wanted to know if there was an easier way and I think I may have found it. If you wouldn't mind when you decide to release the plans could you possibly P.M. me with details on whether or not your going to sell them or offer for free and where to get them I am greatly interested. I have already built several printer based machines like a cnc and an engraver. So I know I can handle a build like this if they are available.
i explained those details a few post back if you built those items..this will be a walk in the park for you...
the value of this project is the electronics wiring reroute that makes it what it is...you would have to read thru the past post to understand how special the build is incorporating no pe switch and 100% error free..

this is the first diydtg build off an epson r1900 that i am aware of, and most certainly the first one with no pe switch incorporated into the design..

Last edited by german13; June 27th, 2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old June 27th, 2010 Jun 27, 2010 11:17:26 AM -   #48 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thats one of the reasons I am so interested in your detailed plans I hate having to make aurdino controllers and if it is a small rewire that should at most take an hour I will be very very happy to build something like this.

Old June 27th, 2010 Jun 27, 2010 11:39:31 AM -   #49 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

yeah...

we tried the micro first it works to bypass the sensors but you had additional end of print timing issues..which would require additional sensors-programming etc... then there the possibility of over loading the motherboard even with separate power source..

we had the best performace with all epson firmware...even though its a manual platen placement..i dont see much difference in time when pushing a button for power placement..

if you just gota have a power placed platen you could use an actuator motion control electronics to sync it with print end etc for about 200 range with separate power source..but its a waste of money in my opinion, once you use this set up like i have it you will see the benefits...just like down town..lol

Old June 27th, 2010 Jun 27, 2010 10:15:35 PM -   #50 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

well that explains it!!!!! lol

(hack a day) posted the printer vid on there site... thanks guys.. love your site glad you like the diydtg...

Old June 27th, 2010 Jun 27, 2010 11:44:12 PM -   #51 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: R1900BUILD-Mission accomplished "license to thrill"

Thank you very much,, broo

Old June 28th, 2010 Jun 28, 2010 1:59:55 AM -   #52 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
well that explains it!!!!! lol

(hack a day) posted the printer vid on there site... thanks guys.. love your site glad you like the diydtg...

Jeff, I'm also trying to build my Epson R1900 DIYDTG this week. And I use a brand new printer T_T. Would you kindly tell me how to do the wiring modification to bypass the PE switch

Last edited by dark_cyber; June 29th, 2010 at 06:01 AM..

Old June 28th, 2010 Jun 28, 2010 5:00:50 AM -   #53 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

hey guys

I'm working on a website, but have limited time to do so. once i get it running i will link it to my signature here... I'm getting bombarded with pm,s etc-not enough time to answer everyone so i won't even try, website in the near future..

i suggest reading thru all the post here in the forums for new people to diydtg, most of your answers are right here in these forums and there are alot of nice folks here that will help you if you need it....

hope it helps
jeff

Old June 28th, 2010 Jun 28, 2010 5:13:12 PM -   #54 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

well if you need help with your web stuff shoot me a pm no charge for it I do web development in my spare time for the educational value.

Old June 28th, 2010 Jun 28, 2010 5:18:16 PM -   #55 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Justin
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Have you secured a website URL yet, Jeff? I'm ready to bookmark it, already!

Old June 28th, 2010 Jun 28, 2010 11:39:51 PM -   #56 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

not yet guys..
my day job takes alot of my time..

just got back home...my wifes looking into it i will check the status with her tommorow..its 2:30am here..
in the mean time i will start compiling the pics, files etc on the conversion its super simple..most difficult part is building the base itself it will take some time to do the detailed measurments parts list etc...im very detailed cant help it its my nature, and i do not want it to be subpar.. i dont like doing general build plans..I,m sure it will be appreciated that way however.. plus it saves the million questions if some one doesnt understand it

P.S NOZZLE CHECK PERFECT AFTER 5 DAYS GONE...PHEEEEW PRINTED WITH NO ISSUES

Last edited by german13; June 29th, 2010 at 01:09 AM..

Old June 29th, 2010 Jun 29, 2010 4:13:18 AM -   #57 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
not yet guys..
my day job takes alot of my time..

just got back home...my wifes looking into it i will check the status with her tommorow..its 2:30am here..
in the mean time i will start compiling the pics, files etc on the conversion its super simple..most difficult part is building the base itself it will take some time to do the detailed measurments parts list etc...im very detailed cant help it its my nature, and i do not want it to be subpar.. i dont like doing general build plans..I,m sure it will be appreciated that way however.. plus it saves the million questions if some one doesnt understand it

P.S NOZZLE CHECK PERFECT AFTER 5 DAYS GONE...PHEEEEW PRINTED WITH NO ISSUES
Good to hear about the nozzle checks with no clogs. Is that with white ink? I know my old 1400 gets a clog or two if I don't print at least every third day.
Also good to know your detail oriented. It is actually obvious from what we've seen already. The more detailed the information given to the builder, the better chance they will get things at least close enough to be happy with the end results.

Old June 29th, 2010 Jun 29, 2010 5:08:05 AM -   #58 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Dan

Good job Jeff
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

Old June 29th, 2010 Jun 29, 2010 3:50:39 PM -   #59 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDan
Good job Jeff
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"
Thanks..Dan

your ink carts and ink are used in my printer..great ink great carts

The Following User Says Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
YoDan (June 30th, 2010)
Old June 29th, 2010 Jun 29, 2010 4:46:08 PM -   #60 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Getting alot of questions about adding a auto load platen so here is an option and my opinion on the subject, i touched on this subject in the other thread also...

you can add an actuator motion control electronic system to it..(google for info) (they use photo sensors for placement amongst a variety of others) there are many different options versions of this hardware some with limit switches you can set.. but it needs to be in sync with begining of print and end of print by placing the photo sensors and or limit switches. if you have ever set limits on a auto garage door opener or dealt with there saftey photo sensors its the same concept,there is no difference just in a small package some offering more settings or features, some with there own motor, some using your existing pf.. it also is its own power source..

we fooled with this a bit an opted to forego this option. we wanted to use the printer as its designs intent, multiple shirts one after the other being rear feed with multiple platens as it does with paper.. we thought if we incorporated a power load it would limit its ability to single print& loading with additional firmware not to mention other issues.. so why not have both options (manual front load for single to short runs or rear feed multiple platens-multi platen for larger runs?) with this design it is a removable platen and with all removable platens they are manually set in place, we thought add a registration mark (start point) and rear load the platen-(this is according to the printer itself orientation)the printer will automatically pull the platen to the start position of the graphic or design on the shirt...just like it does with paper. so you can simply reverse the printer at its work station and the rear of the printer can be considered the front..the bases dementions are the same and the printer is set at center of the base!!!! as you study it a bit you will understand its capabilities this way, so we actually consider the rear of the printer the front not the orientation of the printers front being the front as it is mounted on the base.. this is where you have to start thinking outside the box a bit from what you are normally used to seeing in most designs, and this is what slowed me up also on bringing the printer to fruation (trying to add firmware to front load a platen when its not necesary...)

the bottom line is you have to load a shirt anyway..so what is the exact time advantage to this? none imho with exception to doing (SINGLE RUN)two pass color or dark- black shirts which i have a solution for using the cover open sensor to stall the print between layers and manually placing the platen on 2 pass color or single run black or dark shirts, however if you are doing multiple shirts i think its far better to print the # of shirts in white ink first then refeed for the color over(leaving the shirt in its position on the platen before refeeding) just my opinion with my printers functions.. i would rather operate this way using the conveyor to its advantage , run 3-5 shirts through at a time by simply setting registration marks on the platen-base or use a 3 or 5 shirt acrylic platen or even just keep feeding it with multiple platens. if you are doing large runs it will print them one after the other like printing paper just keep feeding it platens...and if your doing dark or black shirts run all your white ink prints then run the color over after, this will also allow white ink drying time.. i designed it with multiple prints in mind, hopefully we can grow enough so i can make an army of these printers.. the conveyor gives you a ton of options and light weight delivery

i still dont think any power return or loading will ever be faster than a good designed manual set up with the 1900 or any epson printer for that matter-sorta a cross between dtg and screen printing this way..lol, just design around how the printer normally functions...power loading is more of a luxury feature like power windows to a car vs manual, imho..if you get my drift i think the only printer that will be faster is simply a faster epson printer, and im not sure that the 4800 prints any faster?, i know its a wider print. anyway there is no additional firmware that it has to run through so it will print at the epson designed speed with no delay of reading additional firmware or intializing on start up... not a big concern until your in a production setting, then its a value..

as more people start thinking outside the box of what there used to seeing, some amazing diy dtg will start poping up.. key for multiple large runs is a rear loading conveyor design.. ie just like it does paper.. just like my printer is set up, but you can also manually front load it aswell.. its really not rocket science the printer is already designed to do this, just incorporate the conveyor to accomodate it and shirts and modifying the paper delivery mechanism and its sensors...

alot of diydtgs coming out now, its awesome

Last edited by german13; June 30th, 2010 at 12:12 PM..

This is a discussion about Mission accomplished "license to thrill" that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in