T-Shirt Forums

T-Shirt Forums (https://www.t-shirtforums.com/)
-   DIY DTG (https://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/)
-   -   Mission accomplished "license to thrill" (https://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t120740.html)

essen48183 August 12th, 2010 03:46 PM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
3 belts (four if you count the original), 2 addtl shafts. the timing style belts are supposed to be something like 96% efficient as they don't need high tension. I cobbed the whole thing together (without any bearings or bushings) from stuff I had laying around the shop (except for the pulleys and belts and soon skate bearings) it worked just fine except for thepull on that extra long extension on the thin front shaft seemed like it would never be reliable. I picked up some bearings today. turns out that 8mm skate bearings are a perfect fit to a 5/16 shaft. I'm trying to conserve cash in case I end up needing to buy another rip.

I tried a multitude of options, and the way to keep the speeds exactly the same as a piece of paper using the available ratios with the available timing belts and gears was to run off that frontmost shaft... it started the calculation at .814814814 rpm... and ended up perfect in the end. starting at 1 rpm from the main pf shaft always ended up off a bit and I was questioning whether the stock pf adjustment was going to be enough to correct it out (That one extra gear is the tradeoff I made to be able to run it with multirip without the ability to adjust the feed.) That additional pf shaft is further away from the head also, so it allows placement of ball bearings and strong support which is a plus.

Without bearings (but some silicone spray) it did easily carry a load of: a board, a regular size dictionary, a thick MCAT book, a thin mathbook, and about 20 sheets of paper. (maybe 20 lbs) I overloaded it just that once to see if there was a lag from pf shaft moving and the load moving. There was no noticeable lag from stretch or play in the system. It definitely doesn't hold a candle to the system you are designing, (And there is no PF speed gain between band printing) but it should serve me well.

I thank you and everyone on these forums for the tidbits of info that got me this far. Love this group of people on here. So selfless with their time and talents.

Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to add bearings all around and make a simple single-height platten. then it should be time to get it to boot up and switch to roll mode and send it a print job. Wish me luck. Of course I'm being optimistic... things never work out that smooth. :)

102557 August 12th, 2010 06:45 PM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
I see, thats how i calculated also..

did you lower the front foremost shaft (your second drive shaft?) im just wondering because you will need to have this lowered due to the platen i cant quite remember its position on the stock printer.. the platen needs to ride approx 1/16th to 1/8 th under the print head itself for printing, and if i remember correctly it is slightly in the path of the platen in its high position?..

i said to you on the phone, i thought you would be the next to get the 1900 going error free! great job:) what kept me going was thinking about saving the 15-18k lease payment on one of these and start making money almost instantly.. now im addicted to making em..lol additionally i spoke with a local screen printer today, (he found my youtube vid) i went in to his shop, i had no idea the time effort and expense that goes into setting up on that system..burning screens etc.. i got real time view of it in action.. i can see why they like the dtg for short runs.. also he said if he could get a few of these and make em cheap he would forego that process altogether.. so i think it really comes down to cost of the machine for these guys from how i see it.. he said he gets alot of low piece requests 10-30 shirts etc.. that he has been doing these but the only way hes making money mostly is a constant volume.. i agree for sure..

i know what you mean about conserving the cash..lol;) i really think the ek rip is the way to go due to its adjustment feature alone.. i needed this for running in the 720 res with a perfect speed match, there is some backlash due to the jerky motion of the original firmware..you will see what i mean.. i would spring for the rip for sure just for this reason.. but it is quite a tool and will be set up perfect for roll mode on the 1900..lol lots o t-dozer testing;)

essen48183 August 12th, 2010 08:42 PM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
The foremost shaft is cut. It, and the PF shaft are actually both cut at about the line where the spit station starts... to align the shafts and take it easy on those plastic gears. Right now there is a custom aluminum bracket there. I probably will have to make a nylon bushing/bearing for the PF shaft... almost no clearance there. I'll post a pic tomorrow. But I have a clear path for a platten. The only thing in the way is that black plastic contraption with all the white rollers. That will pop right off if it turns out too low. I am hoping to use it as a head saver. My 2200 was way to close to the platen in my opinion. So on this one, I am starting further away.

And the screen printer will always have an important place in my shop. I probably won't fire it up for less than $100 profit. (that's what I did when I first started and only had the screen press) Now I do much smaller orders because I have much streamlined the process. But really most of my jobs are above that now. I wouldn't want to do a 100 or 250 shirt order on a dtg. It'd take longer and cost more. Though lately I've been taking smaller jobs and charging the DTG rate just to start getting the word out that I do them. I place limits of a single color on them or two colors not touching and no halftones, and I cut the stencils on my vinyl cutter in sign vinyl and stick it to the screen. The DTG will allow me to bite into a different market/demographic (with a website that collects money and I start with printable art.) I have some local teams/orgs that are anxiously awaiting the dtg and website.

102557 August 12th, 2010 09:29 PM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by essen48183 (Post 742310)
The foremost shaft is cut. It, and the PF shaft are actually both cut at about the line where the spit station starts... to align the shafts and take it easy on those plastic gears. Right now there is a custom aluminum bracket there. I probably will have to make a nylon bushing/bearing for the PF shaft... almost no clearance there. I'll post a pic tomorrow. But I have a clear path for a platten. The only thing in the way is that black plastic contraption with all the white rollers. That will pop right off if it turns out too low. I am hoping to use it as a head saver. My 2200 was way to close to the platen in my opinion. So on this one, I am starting further away.

And the screen printer will always have an important place in my shop. I probably won't fire it up for less than $100 profit. (that's what I did when I first started and only had the screen press) Now I do much smaller orders because I have much streamlined the process. But really most of my jobs are above that now. I wouldn't want to do a 100 or 250 shirt order on a dtg. It'd take longer and cost more. Though lately I've been taking smaller jobs and charging the DTG rate just to start getting the word out that I do them. I place limits of a single color on them or two colors not touching and no halftones, and I cut the stencils on my vinyl cutter in sign vinyl and stick it to the screen. The DTG will allow me to bite into a different market/demographic (with a website that collects money and I start with printable art.) I have some local teams/orgs that are anxiously awaiting the dtg and website.

very cool...:D

you know more than i with screen prints..

got a first hand view of this and he explained some limiting factors with colors, and it looks major messy not to mention the space it takes and that monster dryer thing..

it also smelled bad..dont know if this was the ink they use or just his shop in general..

i would not venture that for sure..:p

102557 August 12th, 2010 09:32 PM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
P.S ordered the parts waited till after 12........ it is now the *THIRTEENTH* hence GERMAN13.. STORY BEHIND THAT..LOL:) AND WE ARE ON PAGE THIRTEEN OF THE FORUMS HERE... IT WILL BE A WINNER..LOL:D

essen48183 August 12th, 2010 09:38 PM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
YouTube - Robot Chicken - Jason Voorhees at Home [adult swim]

102557 August 18th, 2010 07:32 PM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunoracle (Post 745958)
I may refer to the way that are more accurate and stable, do not need any other belts, only use 3 metal rear and 1 rack, they are just teech on teech.


yeah i posted this 6 days ago ..https://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg...#post741539.in in the thread, here it is again..:)


made the decision on the drive...found the parts!!!!:) and right off the self...

i thought the cost would be more than the belt set up but after the math this way is cheaper?

the best part is the set-up is extremely simple..

its a rack and pinion drive... extremely acurate with less backlash compared to a belt..and nothing will ever need tentioning its a metal track metal gear..

that being said theres one component to this equation i have never dealt with...so i decieded to take the road less traveled..if the engineering works as designed it will be an astonishing dtg to say the least (just that one component that makes me nervous)... everything is in place the rip is setup to operate it as intended... i cant say enough about these guys they have bent over backwards for my little project and for a guy with no previous experience building dtg's...

we will see what happens when she gets together..:) to be continued............

jap71rx2 August 19th, 2010 01:27 AM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
hello im new to this thread have read alot of the info
can someone send me a pm and give me a little advice on what to do to get started

i can make the outer box and platen etc
need more info on the printhead mounting and paper tray and pulleys, belts

have a mate in electrical engineering and is willing to help
just need a little more simplified info

jap71rx2 August 19th, 2010 01:29 AM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
the printer is a c88 and i also have a r1900 to use
but can i use a 1410 as i have one of them aswell but it is a 6 colour
i wont to do the c88 first for trial and error
then do the bigger one r1900
can someone help me get started

jap71rx2 August 20th, 2010 01:21 AM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
@ german13 hello german13 jeff how are you mate first of all what a bloody great job you have done awesome i read somewere in a post from you that you would mfg the base design and platen is this true would you sell one to me very keen to make one have the electic side done with the help of my mate...
sorry for posting here just thought you might see it quicker

102557 August 20th, 2010 02:04 AM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jap71rx2 (Post 746749)
@ german13 hello german13 jeff how are you mate first of all what a bloody great job you have done awesome i read somewere in a post from you that you would mfg the base design and platen is this true would you sell one to me very keen to make one have the electic side done with the help of my mate...
sorry for posting here just thought you might see it quicker

thanks for the kind words..

working on implementing a rack and pinion drive to the design... should have a vid coming soon stay tuned..;) the new design is done just waiting on some mods for the rip for testing and wrapping up a few loose ends

i...pm'd you as well:)

spiderx1 August 20th, 2010 08:44 AM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
Glad to see things are still cooking on the ultimate DIY DTG. Just a thought. If the platen bed is aligned manually with an alignment mark as yours currently does I would think not much problem in backlash, as long as the same method of setting the mark, i.e. the tension on the bed is the same when set. However if sensors are used and the bed would auto set itself and then auto reset for second pass I can see a backlash error happening. I have a TJet 3 in pieces now, just for the heck of it. It uses a screw drive but seems to have registration problems. I am convinced that a great deal of these problems are due to incorrect setting, adjustment of the backlash nut on the drive. I know yours (German 13) is a manual reset which I have on my DIY and it is very accurate. Just a thought.

102557 August 20th, 2010 11:21 AM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderx1 (Post 746935)
Glad to see things are still cooking on the ultimate DIY DTG. Just a thought. If the platen bed is aligned manually with an alignment mark as yours currently does I would think not much problem in backlash, as long as the same method of setting the mark, i.e. the tension on the bed is the same when set. However if sensors are used and the bed would auto set itself and then auto reset for second pass I can see a backlash error happening. I have a TJet 3 in pieces now, just for the heck of it. It uses a screw drive but seems to have registration problems. I am convinced that a great deal of these problems are due to incorrect setting, adjustment of the backlash nut on the drive. I know yours (German 13) is a manual reset which I have on my DIY and it is very accurate. Just a thought.


hey randy!!!

its still a manuall return, however its using dual self closing sliders.. so it will return to a dead stop same position everytime.. coupled with the rack and pinion;) i think it will be hard to beat for registration...:)

lmfoil August 20th, 2010 02:58 PM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
Nice work german i like the idea on the belt what temperature was the iron set to to get the right melt
also by the term iron do you me closthe iron or plasitic welding iron?
thanks so much
did not think they made the pull shades any more lol
congrats nice job

102557 August 20th, 2010 03:09 PM

Re: Mission accomplished "license to thrill"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmfoil (Post 747091)
Nice work german i like the idea on the belt what temperature was the iron set to to get the right melt
also by the term iron do you me closthe iron or plasitic welding iron?
thanks so much
did not think they made the pull shades any more lol
congrats nice job


on the belt first i super glued it... then the wife ran it thru the sewing machine.. then i took the clothes iron on high and used the edge of it and melted the lip that was created after sewing... you can get them anywhere walmart,home depot, lowes etc etc.. a solid shelf liner material will work also (duck brand) i emphasize solid the one with the holes is to stretchy-this is made from pvc easy to glue..first use pvc plumbers glue lightly.. then sew, then erase the seam with iron..

p.s dont get the perforated ones (window pulls)there meant to be torn to size (perforation) it will tear after about 50 uses.. get the solid and cut it with a razor knife using a framing square as a guide..any straight edge will do..

i have a new design coming soon with a fixed platen..:)

hope it helps


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:56 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 T-ShirtForums.com. All rights reserved.