[DIY DTG] "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 4:07:55 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,052 Posts

Default "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive

The day has finally arrived

the r1900 build is a success.. VIDEO BELOW

thought i would post up the video of my r1900 build at its birth, hopefully this will motivate others with there build, all of the epson r1900 sensors have been overcome. as you will notice in the video the pe sensor is completely obsolete and the printer is 100% error free.. it operates with its original epson firmaware (one power source) just as it would new out of the box..

I wanted to show the video from power up sequence thru a couple prints including loading and power down, something i always wished in for a video but had never seen..

in this video im using the stock epson driver and the stock epson ink.. i did this so i could utilize the sealed epson carts while making final adjustments in order to avoid printhead clogging, a fate i have all ready experienced while the printer was in limbo 7 days with refill carts and dtginks.. the print is just the homepage image twice..

in the video the printer is not secured to the base or the base covers to the base, in order to make final adjustments and get and accurate platen measurements (the one pictured is just a cardboard template patern for testing) i also have a cover for the entire printer itself.. but you can see how smooth and fast it is without it even being secured..

i have noticed during the testing that i will need to add a tensioner to the belt..i previously did not want to include them, but definetly see a need for it now.. i have the belt to loose and have a few skip marks in the print.. i simply put a little tension on the belt by hand during the print and it resolves the issue

i only have a couple things left to complete, add belt tensioner, add a platen stop for registration, complete my plexi platen, and mount my power button and additional added (2) butons for the wiring modification (they are currently just laying inside the base under the covers next to the electronics, these will be mounted on the left side just in front of where the power and usb cords come out of the design..

in my design there are no ffc (flat cable wiring extensions needed) the only extensions that are needed are with the regular wire that can be purchased anywhere.. these include the pump supply wires (its the blue one in the video along the back of the printer coming from the board and going to the pump, i used cat5e) also the apg sensor wires, just lengthened using the pesky pe sensor wire that is no longer needed.. and the other extension is the pf motor wire.. which is the only 2 solders on the whole project (soldered new extention directly off the back of the pf motor) i have of course added some wiring modifications at the board to make the printer perform as it does, it is however very simple aswell..

again just wanted to show the video before i continue with the final adjustments and with the cover off, to show the diy'ers that this has become reality? i started my research with an 1100 epson, moved to the 1400 and then to the r1900. i went thru several trials before getting these results..including multiple relay boards and a clogged print head, a mishap while cleaning the printhead (spilling solution on the pw sensor causing the board to fry.. and finally had to acquire another r1900 for the completion.. all well worth the effort, im confident this machine will pay for itself a hundred fold for the time,effort and money invested..

the design is rock solid, dependable, and 100% error free. hope you enjoy watching it as much as i did..
kushido and denizzle like this.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
debogus (August 23rd, 2010), denizzle (June 13th, 2014), Justin Walker (June 16th, 2010), out da box (June 16th, 2010), PfeifAir (July 12th, 2011), spiderx1 (June 16th, 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 5:07:22 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Angel
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 959 Posts

Default Re: "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive

have you tried it on shirts? Will you be making the "plans" public?

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 7:08:01 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Jeff, looks like real progress. Thank you for the video.

Bob ?;O)

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 9:19:57 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroJames
have you tried it on shirts? Will you be making the "plans" public?
yes it works on shirts, but you have to have the dtgink in. the stock epson ink is worthless..and the rip is mandatory..

im just using the stock inks for my final adjustments due to a previous print head clog because i left it sitting to long before printing.. also to show how it prints with just the epson driver..previously there were claims you needed a rip to fire the sensors correctly that the epson driver wouldnt accomplish it.. with this set-up the any driver will do it..

i plan on putting plans together when im all done with the project

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 9:20:41 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
Jeff, looks like real progress. Thank you for the video.

Bob ?;O)
thanks..

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 9:39:38 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

Great Job looks awesome. thank you so much.

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 9:53:46 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx1
Great Job looks awesome. thank you so much.
thank you also randy, for all the info you provided me.. anyone who provided info to me during the process will be getting the build plans first once i get it it complete

couldn't have done this build successfully without all the input..

once i get the belt tensioners fabricated, ill post up another video with it knocking down some shirts...

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 12:30:59 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Gaston
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Congratulations! excellent work Jeff ... I am very happy. I'll take your model as a reference ... and try to build ...

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 12:39:38 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgaston
Congratulations! excellent work Jeff ... I am very happy. I'll take your model as a reference ... and try to build ...
thanks a million...I will get some plans to ya..once i get the tensioners on and get it all bolted down.. and find the time to do a detailed parts and description list with diagrams..

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 1:47:24 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Luis

wow thats awesome man. look great.

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 2:08:44 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

woow congrats, i have a r1900 standing doing nothing that i would love to build into this. hope you will make plans!

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 2:39:23 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Simon

Well done Jeff.
The hard part is done only the fine tuning is left
Nicely done

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 3:15:48 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenk
woow congrats, i have a r1900 standing doing nothing that i would love to build into this. hope you will make plans!
i went to the 1900 due to it being rip supported, which is almost mandatory for the build..you can adjust the ink channel drop size etc..

after researching it a bit i also discovered several commercial manufacturers use the 1900 and previously the 1800 (same printer except the print head basically)

not the cheapest printer and not the most expensive either, Im sure it will be around for a long time to come or a version of it..

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 3:17:45 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos
Well done Jeff.
The hard part is done only the fine tuning is left
Nicely done
thanks, simon..

looking forward to the end it tested my patience quite a few times.. glad i didn't give up on her now.. but it was close a few times..lol

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 3:25:42 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Very impressive. I have no electronics education but have followed your trials and tribulations as best I could. Wish I could have been some help but am lacking in qualifications from all the things you guys were talking about. Thank you for you efforts though. Are you planning on doing double printing for using white base before colors for dark shirts or would you still need the electronics ya'll were discussing in the other thread for that or will the multi rip work if you reset the shirt platen manually or will it reset the shirt platen manually?

This is a discussion about "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in