[DIY DTG] "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 1:40:03 AM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Simon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive

1.The belt must be unstretchable as you have to do with precision movement, i did my first test using vinyl sign cloth (its fiberglass cloth coated with vinyl used for outdoors banners) and i did the splice with cyanacrylate glue. The professionally made belt cost me 90euros as i had issues with the diy belt
First thing you need to do is to print the PF test from the adjustment program this will show you clearly what is happening.
The other thing is that you dont want to alter the thickness of your moving shaft-roller.... if you do so you will have to alter your drive system. If it is thicker than the stock each step will be bigger and if it is thinner then each step will be shorter. Keep in mind that you have to add the belt thickness to the diameter for you calculations
Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 1:41:49 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I forget another parameter
You have to eliminate the slippage between the platen and the belt somehow

Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 1:50:34 AM -   #33 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos
1.The belt must be unstretchable as you have to do with precision movement, i did my first test using vinyl sign cloth (its fiberglass cloth coated with vinyl used for outdoors banners) and i did the splice with cyanacrylate glue. The professionally made belt cost me 90euros as i had issues with the diy belt
First thing you need to do is to print the PF test from the adjustment program this will show you clearly what is happening.
The other thing is that you dont want to alter the thickness of your moving shaft-roller.... if you do so you will have to alter your drive system. If it is thicker than the stock each step will be bigger and if it is thinner then each step will be shorter. Keep in mind that you have to add the belt thickness to the diameter for you calculations
Hope this helps
the pf shaft is the stock diameter..so this shouldnt be an issue at all..

and i have no slippage with the platen to belt..

adjustment program print tests will not work for my printer..i use roll mode and these tests in the adjustment program are performed in sheet mode..

i had to get some modifications done in the rip to do a nozzle check and head align check in roll mode...print jockey has also been modified by the manufacturer to do this as well..

i really believe its the belt material.. im almost positive..i will try this first..the image is clear as is the text..just a bit of stretch like the belt is bouncing or stretching past what it is supposed to slightly and it makes sense..

just to be clear the size of your drive rod isnt going to matter as long as it is one to one and 5/16ths where the drive gear attaches.. take a look at the turbo jet kit i believe its page 118 of the made my own for 150 thread..there are pics there and this is a perfect example of what im talking about.. they have pulleys on the 5/16ths drive rod with a belt connecting the two.. so its oversized by about a half inch with the pulleys and + the thickness of the belt, which is attached directly to the drawer, and this kit clearly works and works well...

also think of this if you were calculating the thickness of the belt around the drive shaft you would theoretically have to calculate your platen thickness because it sits on the belt or is an extension of the belt.. this is not the correct way of calculating these ratios because the motor is driven by the encoder..

for example with the original c88 build they just use a plywood sitting on the pf rod (friction drive) and i belive they used a 5/8ths piece and it doesnt change the speed or steps so i guess what im trying to say is you could use something ten feet tall if it was light enough..lol it will not change the speed or steps of the movement unless its not one to one ratio..

Last edited by german13; June 17th, 2010 at 02:51 AM..

Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 2:23:49 AM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

try to print in draft(fast moving belt) mode and one in the highest resolution mode(slow moving belt) if in the draft mode the effect is bigger it must be slipping. if in the highres mode the effect is the same it must be that the belt design is faulty.

Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 3:10:13 AM -   #35 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenk
try to print in draft(fast moving belt) mode and one in the highest resolution mode(slow moving belt) if in the draft mode the effect is bigger it must be slipping. if in the highres mode the effect is the same it must be that the belt design is faulty.
yes i did do this as well just wasn't sure what the res was at these settings..

either way the image is the same just slightly less defined in draft mode, but the same...

like i said im pretty sure, just about positive as the pf axel does its steps the belt is stretching or bouncing 1/16th of an inch past its intended stop point due to the motor torque..and stretch in the belt

i will replace this belt with a no stretch equivalent.. i tested it pretty thoroughly for slippage and reliability in my jig before using it, however you cant see things like this 1/16th over movement due to stretch.... i guess an easy way to test it is just pull the belt lay a 1/4 sheet on the rods and platen on top of that,, then print.

Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 6:05:38 AM -   #36 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

First off, thanks for the reply. I didn't have the intention of using the 1400 as a DTG. It is a very good printer and does oversize for transfers and was relatively cheap. I have refillable cartridges for it and will use it as my regular printer when not needed for transfers. I don't do the opaque transfers for darks because I hate the feel. I feel that anything worth making a DTG printer out of, it will need to work on dark shirts. Now an idea that may help you find the correct "belt" for your machine. Have you thought about a sander belt from a large belt sander or the belt from one of the craftsman compucarve? If you can find either one to be the correct size, I don't think there would be any slipping and defiantly no stretch.

Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 1:22:36 PM -   #37 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

ok boys and girls, here is the print test of my graffic at different resolutions directly from the rip...

as you will notice the best print is the 1400x1400

so i come to the conclusion this is the belt stretching a bit...

what do you guys think?

Last edited by german13; June 8th, 2011 at 10:43 PM..

Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 4:53:11 PM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

It makes sense that the rubber-liner belt would stretch slightly - and over the length of the entire thing, those small stretches would really add up thereby making a larger design look longer than it should be. I'm interested to hear how a different belt will fare.

Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 8:15:03 PM -   #39 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

i have resolved the issue it was the belt material

i just have a little fine tuning yet..but the prints are awesome..

should have a vid of it doing a shirt here in a day or so..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (June 18th, 2010), shopthecross (June 17th, 2010)
Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 11:05:48 PM -   #40 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: CJ

Thumbs up Re: "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
i have resolved the issue it was the belt material

i just have a little fine tuning yet..but the prints are awesome..

should have a vid of it doing a shirt here in a day or so..

This has to be one if not the best thread here..

I know I am new here but thank u for all this work you have done are doing..

Look forward to your plans....

Old June 18th, 2010 Jun 18, 2010 12:06:17 AM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Jeff
when you print watch the wheel encoder very closely, check if it moves backwards after each step and adjust the tension accordingly. This is more obvious when you print at lower resolutions

Old June 18th, 2010 Jun 18, 2010 5:41:48 AM -   #42 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

posted new video of her doing shirts..
its located at the new thread-mission accomplished "license to thrill"

Old June 22nd, 2010 Jun 22, 2010 3:36:23 AM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Dennis

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t120740.html

Old June 22nd, 2010 Jun 22, 2010 4:50:52 PM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Marcus

Just a thought..... which clogs more dye sublimation or dtg? I imagine you could use either or, I think a bulk ink system would help as well. Great job.... it inspires me to make one so I can stop outsourcing!!

Old June 22nd, 2010 Jun 22, 2010 5:12:56 PM -   #45 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiq
Just a thought..... which clogs more dye sublimation or dtg? I imagine you could use either or, I think a bulk ink system would help as well. Great job.... it inspires me to make one so I can stop outsourcing!!
marcus,

not sure on the dye sub? but dtg clogs i know from experience..lol

it was my fault however... i let it sit to long before printing while building.. most times its lack of maintenance with the dtg..

anyway what part of wisconsin are you from? you might be close.. i'm going to be in lake geneva, wis this weekend....

Last edited by german13; June 22nd, 2010 at 05:32 PM..

This is a discussion about "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in