[DIY DTG] "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 3:35:15 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Default Re: "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFuqua
Very impressive. I have no electronics education but have followed your trials and tribulations as best I could. Wish I could have been some help but am lacking in qualifications from all the things you guys were talking about. Thank you for you efforts though. Are you planning on doing double printing for using white base before colors for dark shirts or would you still need the electronics ya'll were discussing in the other thread for that or will the multi rip work if you reset the shirt platen manually or will it reset the shirt platen manually?
I'm not going to use a manual return for the platen, im just going to set it at its registration mark (beginning of print).. and yes it will print the double pass with no issue.. you just have to line your platen to a registration mark on the base..

I,m using the cover open sensor to stall the print between layers or between passes, you just place the switch at the proper location at end of print.. this will stall the next print untill you release the switch..just push your platen back to its registration mark for its second pass release the switch, and presto it will resume printing the second or color layer over the white..

i have tested this using just double color prints and registration and its functions are spot on...

additionally no extra electronics or firmware needed, just some wiring extensions and rerouting at the board

hope it helps..

jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 4:12:42 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Simon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
thanks, simon..

looking forward to the end it tested my patience quite a few times.. glad i didn't give up on her now.. but it was close a few times..lol
Tell me about it....
I had to abandon the project for three weeks...i was pretty sure that everything was clogged as i all the sudden went to hospital 2 days after i installed the dtg inks. I was really tired and disappointed before i install the printer again for testing. I dont know if i am lucky or the Resolute inks are so good in the clogging issue but a perfect nozzle check boost me up. I am close to the end too
My pocket is feels itchy as the need to buy a rip comes closer every day

I have a thought about these 50 boards you produced...i wonder if we can use them as job controllers for multipass high volume production

Last edited by cmos; June 16th, 2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 4:24:58 PM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
I'm not going to use a manual return for the platen, im just going to set it at its registration mark (beginning of print).. and yes it will print the double pass with no issue.. you just have to line your platen to a registration mark on the base..

I,m using the cover open sensor to stall the print between layers or between passes, you just place the switch at the proper location at end of print.. this will stall the next print untill you release the switch..just push your platen back to its registration mark for its second pass release the switch, and presto it will resume printing the second or color layer over the white..

i have tested this using just double color prints and registration and its functions are spot on...

additionally no extra electronics or firmware needed, just some wiring extensions and rerouting at the board

hope it helps..

jeff
I'm sure it will when I get that far. You guys have just given me the confidence to rip appart a brand new printer to try this out. It's just a C120 but I figure I had better start with something a little cheaper than the 1900 for my first try. I will keep following your work while I try my first attempt to do this with a cheap and hopefully simple printer. Actualy, its not so simple to me but if I can gain some understanding with this one, I might have a chance with a 1900. Again, thank you for your work in this endeavor and if theres anything I can do to lend a hand(not likely since I don't even have a formal high school education) just shoot me an email.

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 4:33:21 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Go for it
I did it with a d78 an old drawer as a base, the half of a small backgammon case for bed, a drawer slide for linear guide, and a photo frame for platten.....when i printed the first successful double pass i started looking for a 2200 on ebay

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 4:33:50 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos
Tell me about it....
I had to abandon the project for three weeks...i was pretty sure that everything was clogged as i all the sudden went to hospital 2 days after i installed the dtg inks. I was really tired and disappointed before i install the printer again for testing. I dont know if i am lucky or the Resolute inks are so good in the clogging issue but a perfect nozzle check boost me up. I am close to the end too
My pocket is feels itchy as the need to buy a rip comes closer every day

I have a thought about these 50 boards you produced...i wonder if we can use them as job controllers for multipass high volume production
not sure it would work...they were originally for controlling the pe, and asf.. and they work for this however the end of timing of the print became the issue (there was additional sensors and processor programming needed altering the epson firmware and slowing the printer a bit...something will come into play with them..thinking of programming an auto return platen with them just for kicks.. but honestly i dont see a need for it at this point..

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 4:48:30 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I'm sure it will when I get that far. You guys have just given me the confidence to rip appart a brand new printer to try this out. It's just a C120 but I figure I had better start with something a little cheaper than the 1900 for my first try. I will keep following your work while I try my first attempt to do this with a cheap and hopefully simple printer. Actualy, its not so simple to me but if I can gain some understanding with this one, I might have a chance with a 1900. Again, thank you for your work in this endeavor and if theres anything I can do to lend a hand(not likely since I don't even have a formal high school education) just shoot me an email.
dont let your education level hold you back..the only thing thats going to holdyou back is yourself..

all you need is an understanding of how the printer works sensors etc.. the cheaper printer would prolly be a good starting point to get this understanding..

its easy once you know how it functions..

best of luck on the build..

jeff

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 4:54:11 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

When i went to a guy to paint an alumium piece for me he asked if i can make 50 shirts with a small graphic for an event... If it was 50 blacks with a big graphic that mod would give me the time to do other things in the shop. we will see...

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 5:15:37 PM -   #23 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

One thing I have been hesitant to ask but need to know now that I'm actualy gonna start trying this out is an explaination of the sensors names and what they do, cross referanced to the abreviations ya'll use and any information about where to find more information. I have tried looking through the big post and get lost . I did join the diydtg web site and have their "plans" but they aren't that good and for a different printer. I don't know what happened to the guy I sent my (I think it was $25) money to but the site shut down shortly after I joined. Again, thank you all for the help.
Terry

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 6:23:17 PM -   #24 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
One thing I have been hesitant to ask but need to know now that I'm actualy gonna start trying this out is an explaination of the sensors names and what they do, cross referanced to the abreviations ya'll use and any information about where to find more information. I have tried looking through the big post and get lost . I did join the diydtg web site and have their "plans" but they aren't that good and for a different printer. I don't know what happened to the guy I sent my (I think it was $25) money to but the site shut down shortly after I joined. Again, thank you all for the help.
Terry
The manual to each individual printer will be your best friend. I suggest reading it front to back 4 or 5 times before you start for whatever particular printer you plan to use. You will gain an understanding of the sensors and their names and functions this way.

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 7:58:45 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: ahmad

Congrats! very nice build Jeff. I am waiting for your roller conveyor plan

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 8:26:22 PM -   #26 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Angel
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
yes it works on shirts, but you have to have the dtgink in. the stock epson ink is worthless..and the rip is mandatory..

im just using the stock inks for my final adjustments due to a previous print head clog because i left it sitting to long before printing.. also to show how it prints with just the epson driver..previously there were claims you needed a rip to fire the sensors correctly that the epson driver wouldnt accomplish it.. with this set-up the any driver will do it..

i plan on putting plans together when im all done with the project
A big congrats then.

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 8:32:16 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Thank you for the clue in. I found the service manual I can look at on-line but no free download versions. I will have lots to study. there are also service manuals there for the 1400 which is the printer I currently use for thansfers and the 1900 which I will study later.

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 9:05:48 PM -   #28 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Thank you for the clue in. I found the service manual I can look at on-line but no free download versions. I will have lots to study. there are also service manuals there for the 1400 which is the printer I currently use for thansfers and the 1900 which I will study later.
the 1400 is not rip supported, but all of the sensor configurations are generally the same. i wouldn't suggest using a 1400 for building a dtg due to it not being rip supported. Just my opion.

Old June 16th, 2010 Jun 16, 2010 11:33:23 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Wow, I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. Congratulations, Jeff, on a job well done! That is truly a thing of beauty. I can't wait to finally get my 1900 to that point.

Old June 17th, 2010 Jun 17, 2010 1:09:11 AM -   #30 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

ok guys.

i put tensioners on the belt...adjusted it to several different locations..im still getting this banding effect in the print... its like it stretches the very small text and pics slightly..the best way i can explain it is lets say the words are att.net, email,news,sports...it stretches these about 1/16 of an inch down under the word to be exact as it stretches down this 1/16 inch the print gets lighter giving it a blured effect or psychodelic effect..and it does this thru out the text or pic all the way thru the print.. this may be the same problem bob is having with his graffics that are a circle being elongated and it is the same belt also..(i personally have just been printing from my homepage thru out the testing.. just to be clear this isn't a distance from the print head to object issue causing the blurred text and pic edges..

i have also adjusted the pf belt from loose at 1/16 intervals all the way to tight at this same 1/16th interval with no change..

im starting to believe it is the belt itself it has a slight stretch to it..even when tensioned properly its still a bit stretchy.. i think this may be causing the issue.. i beleive i will try a different material for the belt to see if its the cause.. what really pulls me leaning toward the belt itself is because when i do a nozzle check its absolutely perfect and if you notice during a nozzle check the pf does not move..the print head goes over in one swipe for this..hmmmm? belt?

i have heard mr belequette speak of this issue in an video interview explaining the mod 1.. he was talking in relation of the mod 1 printing two passes at low resolution.. but he mentions the epsons at high res are almost not useable at a high res due to the jerking motion of the epson firmware.. im wondering what res im printing at with the stock driver? here is that video..
anyway i have loaded the dtg ink and tomorrow eve i will try printing with the rip it has settings of 720/720, 1400x720 and 1400x1400.. i will see if this makes a difference first.. but im pretty confident its the stretchy belt material..

which leaves two choices new belt material or add a timing belt and pulley inside the rightside printer foot connecting it directly to the 5/16ths drive shaft and the rear 5/16ths idler shaft... this would definitely eliminate any timing issue (stretchy belt)..but i will try the different belt material first, im sure that would resolve it aswell..

unless someone knows another cause of this issue? that i have over looked?

Last edited by german13; June 17th, 2010 at 01:42 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (June 17th, 2010)

This is a discussion about "a new day for diydtg builders" r1900 build has come alive that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in