[DIY DTG] Printing wider than original printer can - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Printing wider than original printer can

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 9th, 2010 Jun 9, 2010 9:50:32 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Printing wider than original printer can

Guys:
I'm gonna make my DTG probably from Epson r1900, but i need a wide print area, not just the 13' that the r1900 gives. I know i can make the needed mechanical changes, stretching whatever i need to stretch, and replacing what i need to replace, but i'm not sure if the printing head will move beyond its manufacturer limits. I have been told by epson technician that it is limited from the printer mainboard. If it is the case, is it possible to replace the firmware with a hacked one, in such way that the printer believes, for example, that Letter paper is 20'x40'? I'm a software developer, i believe i could make the changes but i'm just starting and i need a lot of information. I guess there is a table somewhere with the paper sizes that might be changed.
Any information will be very appreciated.
Thanks,
Martin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2010 Jun 9, 2010 12:25:44 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Dennis

Default Re: Printing wider than original printer can

You would probably need to find a longer timing CR scale also so the head would know where it is. Maybe one out of a 3800 and up printer.

Old June 9th, 2010 Jun 9, 2010 12:43:26 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Absolutely, i'm gonna need that and several more spare part items. I can buy some of them in epson. I have some others at home, i will modify some of them, and even make some others from scratch. But, i know it is something i can achieve. There are some other things that i still need to figure out, like the one i'm asking in this thread. Hope anybody knows!

Old June 9th, 2010 Jun 9, 2010 12:49:46 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Seems like it would be easier to just start with a larger printer than try to piece one together and get the firmware to match up. Otherwise, you would see the dtg manufacturers doing the same thing to same money. WOuld be interested to know how it turns out.

Mark

Old June 9th, 2010 Jun 9, 2010 1:26:02 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Simon

I thought of this too and caused me a major headache. Its like building a printer from scratch.
I hope i had a 1900 so i could be more helpful.

Old June 9th, 2010 Jun 9, 2010 3:08:07 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mark: Well, i have some reasons:
1- There is not a lot of very wide printers in Argentina. Even Epson does not have directly but through some distributors. That makes them expensive, and therefore difficult to afford.
2- I believe that buying wide assemblies to epson would be a good choice if i wanted to make machines for sale, and had a lot of money to make investments, because it is more practical, and those parts work very well already. But i'm planning to make one to do some printing work and start a small company with low capital.
3- This is just research, so i can still change my mind if this approach is not tecnically possible to me, or if i find a low cost very wide printer (this would save me time and trouble, i absolutely agree with you in this point).

Last edited by Flemming; June 9th, 2010 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Forgot name of the one i'm replying to

Old June 9th, 2010 Jun 9, 2010 6:05:21 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

I understand your reasoning, but think you are going to have too many challenges trying to frankenstein two printers together. Just my opinion. Best wishes,

Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
Flemming (June 9th, 2010)
Old June 10th, 2010 Jun 10, 2010 6:41:15 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Come on guys!! i don't believe that no one has a clue of how this could be done. Please!! any information will be useful. I promise to share the results. I know this could be helpful to other people too

Old June 10th, 2010 Jun 10, 2010 6:57:38 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Lets figure that you made a new firmware, how will you test it?
I suggest that ,if you are serious about this, to build the new wider printer.
You will need at least a new 20" shaft for the carriage and a new encoder strip with the same vertical lines per inch. The worst scenario is that you will get a fatal error when you power up the new printer. This is the first obstacle to overpass, the start up checks.

Old June 10th, 2010 Jun 10, 2010 7:13:30 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Cmos: It seems you have interesting info about this topic.
I do not have much experience writting firmware, but working as software developer for years, in some specific situations, i had to hack certain low level things. Sometimes i did it for fun, like memory cards, to get more ammo in games, and sometimes in work, for example to steal some vectorial information from rare file formats. I believe that the movement limits are just a number somewhere in the firmware, perhaps in a table with standard page sizes, and dimentions (vertical lines numbers for each). This research points to try to determine if i'm right, and get as much info as possible about this. I will not do anything unless i'm 90% sure. I know it is risky, i might brick the printer. In the worst scenario i would buy a new mainboard, fix the printer and stop trying. But if i get good results, many people will be happy to know, including me!!
Please let me know what you think. I'm serious about this research.

Last edited by Flemming; June 10th, 2010 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: forgot to ask for opinion

Old June 10th, 2010 Jun 10, 2010 7:28:00 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I feel i'm not being clear enough:
i would like to read or download a firmware file of an updateable printer model if possible, edit it with hex editor to change for example the number of vertical lines for some specific paper size, and finally update the printer with that file. I would take one or two edited bytes. It is a hacking work that consists on making suppositions of how the critical info is organized in that file, find some distribution or patterns that support the theories and apply the modifications.
It sounds simple, doesn't it?
Maybe i'm wrong, but i did this many times with other stuff, i believe this one could be similar.

Old June 10th, 2010 Jun 10, 2010 10:04:43 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I know what youre talking about. what you have in your hands? You have a 1900?
If you dont, i think a 2100/2200 is a better choice for you. Its cheap, you can find a lot of stuff because it is more than 6-7 years on the market. I found the service manual and the adjustment program very easy.

The Following User Says Thank You to cmos For This Useful Post:
Flemming (June 10th, 2010)
Old June 11th, 2010 Jun 11, 2010 4:42:32 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I did not buy it yet. I'm searching notes about firmware upgrading in epson printers. The desired scenario would be an updateable printer, wich's firmware is not encoded, with enough channels for white color (i was told that 7 or 8 are needed), and easy to find in Argentina. When i find one, then i'll make the studies over the firmware file, buy the printer, hack the firmware, upgrade, complete the project, and share it with pics and videos.

Old June 11th, 2010 Jun 11, 2010 8:39:29 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Check this thread
You can download the service manual and see if you can find something useful
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t85895.html

The Following User Says Thank You to cmos For This Useful Post:
Flemming (June 11th, 2010)
Old June 11th, 2010 Jun 11, 2010 9:10:26 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

This is very useful info! thank you.

This is a discussion about Printing wider than original printer can that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in