[DIY DTG] Possible CISS problems - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Possible CISS problems

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 3rd, 2010 Jun 3, 2010 9:19:40 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Simon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Possible CISS problems

I have never used a ciss before, and i have minimal experience with refillable cartridges, so i need some feedback from more experienced users.
Some issues that i have in mind are:

How the height of the bottles affect the ink delivery
What will happen after a period of inactivity
Where the ink level should be compared with the printhead level
Can i use a ciss without cartridges if i somehow install autoreset chips in the carriage?
Thank you all in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2010 Jun 3, 2010 5:33:21 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Dennis

Default Re: Possible CISS problems

I had experience with ciss on a Epson R380 and I liked it.
However I did not use the printer often and finally the black clogged. Now here is whats weird.
I bought two more used R380's and even without installing the ciss they had black clogged head problems.

So, lets just say the R380's had a issue and it wasn't the ciss's fault. So moving on.

I dont think you would want to connect a ciss up directly without the carts. That would make the height of the tanks really critical.
You would either have a positive pressure on the head or a negative pressure.

You dont want leaks, and you dont want air getting pulled back into the head.

The carts act as a buffer you might say and they work so darn good.
The tubes leading from my tanks to the carts would develop air pockets in them. But...... its not a problem. Because your really only topping off your carts when its needed.

Basically a ciss is just a automatic cartridge filler so you dont have to do it ever so often with syringes.
Personally I like the ciss system, if you print a lot.

Old June 3rd, 2010 Jun 3, 2010 5:42:22 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Oh and one other thing. I am talking about a ciss system that is added to a gravity feed printer.
Some printers like the Epson 3800 or Ricoh's are like what you mentioned. The tubes are direct to the print head. But they are built for that type delivery.

Old June 4th, 2010 Jun 4, 2010 6:10:40 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ford, I just installed a CIS on my 1100... What a mess. The device will operate at different altitudes. Some tips to get you started. One, look at the actual print head. If you see pooling of ink your CIS reservoir is too high. Second, don't fill the reservoir containers to the top. Fill them up to below the air hole... I experienced both problems. I had ink running out of the reservoir and pooling. Once I figured out where the reservoir needs to be all is OK.

I hope this helps,

Bob ?;O)

Old June 4th, 2010 Jun 4, 2010 6:19:41 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mine worked great. I had the tanks sitting next to the printer.
But I can see how there would be a problem if they were to high or to low.
Here is the system I had.
I have it for sale since I sold the 380.

Old June 4th, 2010 Jun 4, 2010 12:51:37 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos
How the height of the bottles affect the ink delivery
You will have to find out YOUR perfect height settings for the ink bottles ( it depends on the type of ink you use and some enviromental conditions like humidity, temp. and atmospheric pressure may have an influence onit )

If you see ink dripping on the bottomside of the printhead, then your bottles are too high and you will have to lower them (just like colofinger wrote before) than try print a solid image , if any ink-starvation occurs , yout bottles are to low. so you need to play a little bit

Quote:
What will happen after a period of inactivity
depends on how long this period will last.
i can leave my printer (cmyk only) offline for 2-3 days, but i always put a few drops of cleaning fluid in the capping station. when using white ink you should run your machine on a daily basis, or at least do some headcleanings , otherwise the white ink may settle in the carts.

Quote:
Can i use a ciss without cartridges if i somehow install autoreset chips in the carriage?
NO. i dont remembert the exact reason , but you should always use cartridges or dampers.
they have a microfilter and it has to do something with the underpressure...

Old June 4th, 2010 Jun 4, 2010 8:53:23 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Simon

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I hope that i have a lot of orders, so i can install a CISS .
When i do so i will post my experience too. I even consider of making a diy ciss with an agitation system
Thanks again

Old July 22nd, 2010 Jul 22, 2010 1:10:17 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Nelly

I have this exact same printer! I need help! i was using a CISS that i got from Macro enter , it work beautiful for about 2 years considering i only use this to print Cd's and some flayers now and then , out of the sudden it gave me a error message to change the cartridges , i turned the printer off and on and nothing , i gave up threw the CISS away and install the original cartridges and now is giving me a error that they cannot be recognized , one i take 1 cartridge out it recognizes all the other but says that there is a missing cartridge , i install this and all of them are not recognized again. Help anybody ??

Old July 22nd, 2010 Jul 22, 2010 1:30:30 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru6601
I have this exact same printer! I need help! i was using a CISS that i got from Macro enter , it work beautiful for about 2 years considering i only use this to print Cd's and some flayers now and then , out of the sudden it gave me a error message to change the cartridges , i turned the printer off and on and nothing , i gave up threw the CISS away and install the original cartridges and now is giving me a error that they cannot be recognized , one i take 1 cartridge out it recognizes all the other but says that there is a missing cartridge , i install this and all of them are not recognized again. Help anybody ??

Did the system you installed clear and replace the printers firm wear with it's own? This is what I have experienced with refillable carts and CISS carts.

Old July 22nd, 2010 Jul 22, 2010 1:51:57 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Nelly

No the firmware was never replaced.

Old August 10th, 2010 Aug 10, 2010 11:48:37 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the memories...

This is a discussion about Possible CISS problems that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in