[DIY DTG] rip&driver diydtg options discussion - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] rip&driver diydtg options discussion

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 1:03:04 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

one of the biggest expenses is going to be getting a quaility rip for the r1900 to control the ink channels hopefully some users of different rip can comment on there preferences or there suggestions... from what i understand multirip is top dog.. i,ve even heard it made anajets rip look silly on there own machine? based on post i have read in other parts of the forum..

i noticed that sawgrass technologies recently released the powerdriver for the workforce 1100.. they already had this in place for the r1900.

this is typically used for sublimation transfers with the epsons..anyone used this before? and does it allow you to control the ink channels on the r1900? or use in place of rip?

Sawgrass Technologies - About PowerDriver

sorry for adding a thread that was already here, i didnt realize it prior to posting i've asked addmin to move it to correct area...

Last edited by german13; April 25th, 2010 at 04:11 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 5:58:22 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: rip&driver diydtg options discussion

Typically the PowerDriver is built specifically to drive the printer using the Sawgrass Inks. It is color-profiled for their inks. This may not result in the optimal color for dtg inks (unless you're using the Sawgrass dtg inks in which case it might be close). Also, the PowerDriver does not include white ink support.

The Following User Says Thank You to FredP For This Useful Post:
german13 (April 25th, 2010)
Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 6:44:23 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredP
Typically the PowerDriver is built specifically to drive the printer using the Sawgrass Inks. It is color-profiled for their inks. This may not result in the optimal color for dtg inks (unless you're using the Sawgrass dtg inks in which case it might be close). Also, the PowerDriver does not include white ink support.
I also noticed sawgrass has a que and rip download for the direct advantage printer (4800-4880 EPSON) any experience with this software and is it printer specific?

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 7:21:34 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
I also noticed sawgrass has a que and rip download for the direct advantage printer (4800-4880 EPSON) any experience with this software and is it printer specific?
Jeff,

The queue system was the printing software Sawgrass used while they were still printing dual CMYK and it was specifically designed to work with the Direct Advantage printer - which was designed in a different way than the other dtg printers and required an extra queue system. This system was designed specifically with Sawgrass' dtg inks - not the Dupont inks that everyone else uses. Ultimately, Sawgrass dropped this printing software and moved to the RIP that uses the same software code as MultiRIP GP. Of course, this was when they were selling the Direct Advantage. Now they are not and I doubt you will be able to get any support or updates on the software.

Feel free to download the queue system and see if it works with your printer. I don't think it will work on your setup and with your ink, but what is it going to hurt to try it.

Mark

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 7:26:09 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGuide
Jeff,

The queue system was the printing software Sawgrass used while they were still printing dual CMYK and it was specifically designed to work with the Direct Advantage printer - which was designed in a different way than the other dtg printers and required an extra queue system. This system was designed specifically with Sawgrass' dtg inks - not the Dupont inks that everyone else uses. Ultimately, Sawgrass dropped this printing software and moved to the RIP that uses the same software code as MultiRIP GP. Of course, this was when they were selling the Direct Advantage. Now they are not and I doubt you will be able to get any support or updates on the software.

Feel free to download the queue system and see if it works with your printer. I don't think it will work on your setup and with your ink, but what is it going to hurt to try it.

Mark
thanks for the info mark... i know absolutely nothing regarding rip...besides what i have read here.. i dont even know if that rip will work with the 1900? it was designed apparently for the 4800..

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 7:30:22 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

also whats the difference between print to rip? and print from rip? which is better etc?

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 8:02:11 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Print To RIP application means you are printing directly from the graphic software program (CorelDraw, Photoshop,...) by making some selections through the Properties / Preferences button (and usually the Advanced window). This means you are printing your file "to" the RIP and the RIP will then process the file before sending it to the printer. Here is some info on the Print To method for MRGP - MultiRIP GP Direct-to-Garment Printing Software for dtg Printers - Epson Digital Printers.

Print From RIP application means that you save your graphic in a raster format (PSD, EPS, JPG,...) and then open a specially created application for the RIP. The graphic is then imported into the RIP application and you print "from" the RIP. Here is some info on the Print From method of MRGP - MultiRIP GP Direct-to-Garment Printing Software for dtg Printers - Epson Digital Printers.

The real difference is the Print From will allow a user to have a graphic with a transparent background print it with a white underbase without having to change anything that is pure white (RGB values 255,255,255) without having to alter the pure white. The Print From method also allows the user to preview all the layers (white underbase, CMYK & white highlight layers) before the file is processed by the RIP. Most new dtg users tend to find the Print From a little bit easier to use.

The key in either method is knowing which settings you should select based on your garment color and the artwork (i.e. file format, colors in artwork, color management settings,...). Hope this answers your question.

Mark

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
german13 (April 25th, 2010), qqbob (September 21st, 2011)
Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 8:03:14 PM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
thanks for the info mark... i know absolutely nothing regarding rip...besides what i have read here.. i dont even know if that rip will work with the 1900? it was designed apparently for the 4800..
FYI - The code for the 1900 printer is not the same as the code for the 48X0 printer.

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 8:12:05 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I wrote the Direct Advantage RIP (PowerRIP Direct Advantage by iProof Systems) so I'm pretty familiar with it ;-)

I can't divulge too many details of the "nuts and bolts" of the mechanism as I am under a non-disclosure agreement but I can say that both the RIP and the Driver create jobs for the DA Queue which in turn sends them to the printer. Special handshaking is necessary to drive the Direct Advantage so their queue cannot be used to drive a different printer, even one based on the same print engine.

The driver only supports a dual-cmyk configuration. The RIP supports white ink, enhanced connectivity, previewing, the ability to import bitmaps directly and a few other goodies.

[EDIT] As DAGuide said... A 1900 cannot be driven with a RIP/Driver which was designed to drive a 48X0. MultiRIP GP will drive either one. Actually, it will drive a 4800, 4880, 1800, 1900 or 2200. It also has pretty much the same feature-set as the D.A. RIP.

-- Fred

Last edited by FredP; April 25th, 2010 at 08:19 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to FredP For This Useful Post:
german13 (April 25th, 2010)
Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 8:14:40 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

mark,
thanks again for the info...
i have a couple additional questions...my wife uses corel wouldn't the easiest option be printing( to) in that respect..

also what method do most commercial dtg,s use? from or to?

or is both options available with the rip either way?

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 8:24:45 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Benny

I am making my own RIP but the problem is I need to put some kind of copy protection there or USB dongle key.

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 8:35:51 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredP
I wrote the Direct Advantage RIP (PowerRIP Direct Advantage by iProof Systems) so I'm pretty familiar with it ;-)

I can't divulge too many details of the "nuts and bolts" of the mechanism as I am under a non-disclosure agreement but I can say that both the RIP and the Driver create jobs for the DA Queue which in turn sends them to the printer. Special handshaking is necessary to drive the Direct Advantage so their queue cannot be used to drive a different printer, even one based on the same print engine.

The driver only supports a dual-cmyk configuration. The RIP supports white ink, enhanced connectivity, previewing, the ability to import bitmaps directly and a few other goodies.

[EDIT] As DAGuide said... A 1900 cannot be driven with a RIP/Driver which was designed to drive a 48X0. MultiRIP GP will drive either one. Actually, it will drive a 4800, 4880, 1800, 1900 or 2200. It also has pretty much the same feature-set as the D.A. RIP.

-- Fred
so the direct advantage rip will drive a 1900? with some kind of special hand shaking? care to elaborate on that fred...as i mentioned before i'm rip illiterate... so basically if you use a different print queue it will work? and a print queue is?

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 8:57:10 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

No, the DA RIP will not drive the 1900. Sorry for the confusion. MultiRIP GP will drive the 1900.

A queue, in the context of this discussion, is a software program that accepts print jobs and keeps them until told to send them to the printing device. You can think of it as a big "buffer" which stores print jobs.

The DA queue will NOT drive a 1900 either. Sorry.

-- Fred

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 9:00:08 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

additionally say a fellow designs his own dtg machine to market...and of course it will need rip.. do the commercial dtg,s generally include rip software for there units? leave it to the consumer to purchase additionally. also what are some realistic numbers in these senarios? i would speculate of course if it was bought separately it would be the going retail cost of course... if it was labeled specifically for a brand those are the #'s i ask of?

or labeled for a specific brand and bought at point of purchase? if anyone cares to elaborate on those senarios?

Last edited by german13; April 25th, 2010 at 09:05 PM..

Old April 25th, 2010 Apr 25, 2010 9:16:48 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

i was watching some vid of the mod 1 (belquette) i noticed this unit prints color twice something to the effect of 2 low resolution prints to achieve 1440. i assume this is rip software designed specifically for this. i guess it has a 2 pass or 1 pass mode...there would be additional programming to the board itself to achieve the controls but does the rip have to match or can those functions be accomplished using multi rip?

sorry i know a million questions but thats how you learn

This is a discussion about rip&driver diydtg options discussion that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in