[DIY DTG] rip&driver diydtg options discussion - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] rip&driver diydtg options discussion

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 19th, 2010 Jun 19, 2010 11:29:49 PM -   #61 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Simon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: rip&driver diydtg options discussion

I did it but the amount of ink compared with multirip seems to be zero...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 7:41:32 AM -   #62 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Honestly, the most ink that I've gotten it to lay down is printing it at 2880 X 2880 but it took an awful long time.

Bob ?;O)

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 8:34:06 AM -   #63 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I understand.... took 12 passes at 720 to achieve half the vibrancy of multirip.
In the Gutenprint manual they say that the application support full bleed for epsons... i will do some research before i pay the 800
Things are much much easier for CMYK printing

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 9:20:33 AM -   #64 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos
I understand.... took 12 passes at 720 to achieve half the vibrancy of multirip.
In the Gutenprint manual they say that the application support full bleed for epsons... i will do some research before i pay the 800
Things are much much easier for CMYK printing
I just want to make sure you are aware that when they say "Full Bleed" they mean "Borderless Printing".... which has nothing to do with saturation/ink amount.

-- Fred

The Following User Says Thank You to FredP For This Useful Post:
cmos (June 20th, 2010)
Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 9:38:32 AM -   #65 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

I really think its easily worth the money for the rip, yes its pricey but once you start playing with this software, you get a real good understanding of what goes into them.

There are so many controls adjustments etc, that i dont believe can be achieved with these other drivers that were meant for paper...unless your a software designer or super programmer.

I cant imagine the amount of time it would take to configure something like this, i think it has just evolved thru the years with the dtg technology.. i wouldnt even attempt to try and make or produce my own, because you would have to go thru all the trial and error that they already have..

I suggest to anyone considering this-download the trial versions and just check out what these programs are made of.. Im no programmer either but i think even the experienced would be put to the test... Imho..

if your serious about making money printing quality shirts this is the main tool to the whole operation in my opinion. i would just invest in a quality rip, and i know it hurts the wallet but, if you have made your own machince the RIO (return on investment) will almost be instant compared to folks that buy the commercial machines.. i cant even imagine whats running thru there mind about making a profit and paying the machine off at the same time... it would make me sweat bullets..lol

you would need to have a rock solid business model to even purchase a commercial machine or existing decorating business in place in my opinion... so your already at a huge advantage with no lease or big money purchase on the machine..

the pro rip is just an invaluable tool IMHO..

Last edited by german13; June 20th, 2010 at 09:52 AM..

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 10:07:50 AM -   #66 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Fred i was not aware of that, i think u just saved me lots of time

I agree with you Jeff, it was the first thing that i saw when i first open multirip...
But as you know things are tough in Greece this period.
In the other hand the more i print with gutenprint the more close i go to multirip
Have tried to print a photo with EKrip?

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 10:23:13 AM -   #67 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos
Fred i was not aware of that, i think u just saved me lots of time

I agree with you Jeff, it was the first thing that i saw when i first open multirip...
But as you know things are tough in Greece this period.
In the other hand the more i print with gutenprint the more close i go to multirip
Have tried to print a photo with EKrip?
yes, i have printed photos with both brands of rip..

actually the second shirt in the vid is a photo of a boat behind the graphics..but it was printed in the graphics setting..

i have printed photos also separately in the photo mode.. no issues whatsoever..

the only issue i have ran into is if you pull a pic off the internet some of the color match is not the same on some of the pics and some are spot on, so i have to figure out how to adjust this on those occasions

i will test both brands completely with all different settings etc, before i choose one.. this is not something that can be done over night.. i plan on spending about a week using both.. and truthfully i dont even know if thats enough time to make an educated decision...lol i'm sure that senarios will pop up that im not aware of, and remember i have no previous experience with rip software..

Last edited by german13; June 20th, 2010 at 10:28 AM..

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 10:37:37 AM -   #68 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

One major thing to consider when deciding is that with MultiRIP you can print from any application (Photoshop, Corel, Etc.) or you can print directly from the RIP application. With EK you can only print from the RIP app. Having dealt with the high-end manufacturers for years now... I'll tell you that this particular feature is more important than it initially appears.

-- Fred

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 10:48:52 AM -   #69 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

This really helpful feature, the other is tha multirip supports the 2100/2200 where ekrip does not.
Yes i can see it clearly now, 800$ are flying away from my pocket

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 10:49:43 AM -   #70 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredP
One major thing to consider when deciding is that with MultiRIP you can print from any application (Photoshop, Corel, Etc.) or you can print directly from the RIP application. With EK you can only print from the RIP app. Having dealt with the high-end manufacturers for years now... I'll tell you that this particular feature is more important than it initially appears.

-- Fred
the version of ek rip i have... will print from any application also.. i can print directly from corel which i use most often or photo shop it also prints directly from the rip itself..

it also lets me print nozzle checks and head aligns from the rip application in roll mode, this was an important feature for me because i run in roll mode like dtg digital-and the mod1.. and even the epson driver would'nt do this with out doing it manually at power on..

i disscussed this with them and they modified the trial version to include it, all the rips will do it from sheet mode as does the epson driver, but none would do it in roll.. i understand that the printer jockey was modified to do this aswell, but i didnt want to use a separate program..for that kind of money its my opinion that this feature should be included..

this will be something to consider for anyone building the 1900 off the plans that i make for the unit... the printer jockey is however very reasonably priced i beleive they were running a special at 40dollars...normally 80dollars if im not mistaken, and it has some pretty awesome features aswell.. i just would prefer an all in one program...however if the features benefits of multi rip exceed ek then ill purchase the printer jockey..

this is a new version of ek released i believe june 1st version V3.4.3 so maybe these are new features that have been added...

Last edited by german13; June 20th, 2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 11:41:28 AM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I was not aware EK added print-to functionality. That's fine but be sure to run it side-by-side with MultiRIP because not all "print-to"'s are created equal. MultiRIP has a profesional grade PostScript engine in it's core, same one as a lot of the other high-end RIP's that cost thousands of dollars. The EK uses either standard bitmap-driver code supplied with the Microsoft DDK sample code or the Ghostscript engine which is not nearly as good (more than likely it's the bitmap driver though). To know for sure, try to send it an EPS file directly and see if it runs it.

As far as the Roll-feed nozzle check, yes. There is a special Printer Jockey version which ships with the mod1 that has roll-mode nozzle check. Just indicate when you order that you want that version. Along with that you get the ability to do production runs to any printer and many other handy things like timed cleanings and timed jobs, individual channel flushing. etc.

Bottom line is... if the number of units that will be purchased is worthy, the addition of the roll-mode nozzle check to MultiRIP GP can be discussed. If you get my drift ;-)

-- Fred

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 12:00:10 PM -   #72 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

I spoke with Fred on Saturday and we have decided on two things that we are going to do with MultiRIP GP.

1. We are going to include the code to also drive the 1400 printer as CMYK with 2 white channels. This will be a beta version till we can get some people that have a working 1400 dtg printer, but the code has been shown to work using a standard 1400 printer. This will allow those that are wanting to start off with a low cost printer the ability to still print on dark garments. Please note, that this will require more than 1 pass of white ink due to it only being a 6-channel printer. This code should be included into the MultiRIP GP build within the next couple of weeks. The same one license will then allow a user to control the 1390/1400, 18/1900, 2100/2200 and 4800/4880 printers.

2. I am going to include a copy of Printer Jockey (MSRP is $99.00, on sale at the very low price of $40.00 for a limited time) when you purchase MRGP from me. It is important to understand that Printer Jockey does more than just send the command to print a nozzle check or head cleaning. You can set timed prints (sample print from the channels that you select day/time you want it to happen), timed cleaning (have it run a cleaning based on when you select day/time you want it to happen), ability to save the PRN/SPL file from any Epson printer (easily reprint a job without having to go into any program and get the same exact settings), create production runs on any Epson printers without having to use any printing program to requires the use of more computer processing resources, and several other features. Please note that this program works on more than just your dtg printer (i.e. dye sub printer, film positive printer,...).

I am also working on a complete online tutorial program that will walk you through how to use the features of using the software. Most of the information is already on the FAQ page of MRGP, but it will be laid out in better format for novice users with little to no RIP experience.

Just a couple of things that the DIY DTG users might want to know.

Mark
MultiRIP

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 12:23:58 PM -   #73 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredP
I was not aware EK added print-to functionality. That's fine but be sure to run it side-by-side with MultiRIP because not all "print-to"'s are created equal. MultiRIP has a profesional grade PostScript engine in it's core, same one as a lot of the other high-end RIP's that cost thousands of dollars. The EK uses either standard bitmap-driver code supplied with the Microsoft DDK sample code or the Ghostscript engine which is not nearly as good (more than likely it's the bitmap driver though). To know for sure, try to send it an EPS file directly and see if it runs it.

As far as the Roll-feed nozzle check, yes. There is a special Printer Jockey version which ships with the mod1 that has roll-mode nozzle check. Just indicate when you order that you want that version. Along with that you get the ability to do production runs to any printer and many other handy things like timed cleanings and timed jobs, individual channel flushing. etc.

Bottom line is... if the number of units that will be purchased is worthy, the addition of the roll-mode nozzle check to MultiRIP GP can be discussed. If you get my drift ;-)

-- Fred
Fred,

I really appreciate all the info, i will do as you recommend.

if you get a chance check the version of ek out. i think you will be interested to see all of the features it includes normally like timed cleanings, timed jobs, individual channel cleanings,print purge, roll mode nozzle and head checks in roll..bed adjustments including gap and feed in all three resolution modes speed720x720 fine1400x720 and superfine1400x1400, I think multirip gp is an awesome program its hard to over look these extra included features when comparing cost, and for a person like me that wants a simplified system to operate from one program due to lack of experience with the software.. i guess it comes down to you get what you pay for... and with my lack of experience i dont really know what im looking at quite yet..but i do like the all in one package.

i will try that eps file send, to see what happens i have to find one and what it is first...lol

and again thanks for explaining the postscript engine..

Last edited by german13; June 20th, 2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 1:34:07 PM -   #74 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Does anyone know if multi-rip gp has the bed or table adjustments? the gap and feed adjustments for the different resolutions? this is mandatory using the epson firmware as a dtg at lower resolution especially the 720x720, thats not an usable res without the ability to adjust gap and feed on the 1900.. the bed is faster so it has jerky motions.. you have to set this with the rip to overcome the issue, otherwise the images are distorted and elongated.. it will prolly be different setting for each individual diydtg design.. it will print awesome at 1400x1400 because the steps are fine or smooth, but once you go to a 1400x720 or 720x720 this has to be adjusted to get the image perfect.. i have posted this vid of mark explaining the mod 1 in the other post- and he touches on this issue...here it is again... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPkl4WqYs8M

i just printed three different images from text, graphics, and photo and took the measurements from each print at 1400x1400 and changed the settings till i get the same size perfect image in the other two res by measuring them also and matching the dimensions from the different res.. it works great this way..

this is a big issue with the 1900 its a fast printer, (jerky pf) this is something i didnt consider while building.. with the epson driver it will print great in the highest res also as a diydtg, but once you change the settings image changes..part of the issue was the original belt...once i resolved that it cured 3/4ths of the problem.. but again this is where the rip becomes even more mandatory if you plan on using it in any other res than 1400x1400.. i can now print in any resolution with perfect images etc.. keep that in mind on the 1900 build...if you dont want to buy a rip..you better build a different epson printer..

i didnt get that far with with multi-rip yet!.. i cant run them at the same time on my computer for some reason..i cant even have the epson driver on the computer either? they interfere with each other, maybe this is something to do with windows xp?

but i didnt check to see if multi-rip had that feature yet? however i would assume so...can someone confirm either way...

Last edited by german13; June 20th, 2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old June 20th, 2010 Jun 20, 2010 2:33:42 PM -   #75 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

MultiRIP will not distort at the lower resolutions. It is stable from 360 dpi (which is not usable on the 1900) all the way through 2880 x 2880. Keep in mind that MultiRIP and PowerRIP mod1 (as well as several other bundled rips) are "siblings"... ie, "from the same author"... get it?

-- Fred

This is a discussion about rip&driver diydtg options discussion that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in