[DIY DTG] epson 1100-1900 platen designs - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] epson 1100-1900 platen designs

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 6:36:16 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Default epson 1100-1900 platen designs

i posted this in the moving forward thread. thought it might be better to start a separate thread so its easy to find and others can post there designs here! this is just a mixed design i put together based off existing commercial machines. trying to make it simple as possible. the shirtbox-drawer is in the rough yet still have to attach my auto height adjusting spring system, drill my air holes like the (rainbow printer) and primer-paint. i fabbed this out of 18ga shheet metal tried 22ga first but it was a little thin for my liking and warped slightly when welding. the 18ga works awesome. this can be fabbed from sheet metel, plastic or wood with some creativity. i really like the self adjusting height-it will automatically adjust to your material thickness.

Last edited by german13; June 8th, 2011 at 10:42 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 6:42:38 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Benny
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: epson 1100-1900 platen designs

Very nice, Cool design and very clear pictures so everyone can make it by only see all your pictures.
Thanks

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 10:32:38 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yes, very nice...

Bob ?;O)

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 11:19:24 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

thanks guys appreciate it its been a labor of love, i lot more detailed than i originally anticipated i have decided to make one minor change to the above design, i am going to use 1/2 birch for the part the shirt actually lays on. im doing this in the event i make a kit for the whole design it will allow people to easily interchange it in case they want to do golf balls n such. you just copy platen size drill the appropriate holes with hole saw for placing your item and add the correct size spacer to sink the spring loader (makes different platens affordable or diy

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 2:14:40 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Very nice! I've been reading a lot of threads here in the diy dtg section - but this is my first time actually posting anything here . I like your design, but what would you recommend to somebody who doesn't have a shop or capabilities to weld and stuff?

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 3:00:39 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

McCrocket

(option 1)you have a couple options your local weld shop for sheet metal the actual cost of material is pretty cheap, however you will have a labor charge and a cut charge thats the killer for instance another shop here in my town charges 3 dollars a cut that can add up fast. its still well worth it!
(option 2) you can build it out of plastic i have a thread here( build your base and platen from plastic) with info and tutorials on how to weld, the welder is cheap 35 bucks. however the material pvc sheet is a little more costly than sheet metal but still well worth the cost. you can use regular wood cutting tools to cut this as well table saw, skill saw, drills etc
(option3) you can build it out of wood- with normal tools as well however i would still reccomend a metal or plastic.. top frame or holder it could be steel, stainless steel or aluminum..the only issue with wood is your tolerances if they are tight woods strength is best at 3/8 and up..for instace i have a 14" opening for my drawer to travel under the printer-my print area is 13" that only gives me an 1/2 inch on each side for the frame and everything to work...so if you were to use 1/2 wood you have no room to incorporate the frame & such. they way i have above. you could go with thinner wood but i just dont think it wood hold up long with day to day use. if you go with plastic you can use thinner material and retain superior strenth it would work well requires only basic tools .
(option4) all else fails and or you dont have carpentry skills you can buy it from me
hope it helps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
McCrockett (April 7th, 2010), spiderx1 (June 8th, 2010)
Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 3:08:25 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

German,

Didn't you say you would sell these? That's an option you did not mention.

Bob ?;O)

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 3:18:09 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

bob
option 4, however i have'nt researched the legal issues for the platen designs. my main gig on this project will be the micro controllers thats really the key issue. i might sell the platens-base out the back door however. the key word is (sell) theres away around everything say with a donation you receive one free

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 3:31:05 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

bob
i have a real good feeling this is going to irritate some of the big commercial guys. i can get away with the micro controller easy no probs there. however if i couple the micro with my base platens well you do the math if you can get something equal to 12,000 unit for 10,800 less.thats what scares me i dont have there kinda $ to litigate with em

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 3:51:54 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I see... Production does sound like a drag.

Bob ?;O)

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 3:58:52 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

my goal is to print shirts and if the micro controller business is there ill do that aswell i dont have to produce those

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 4:07:26 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrockett
Very nice! I've been reading a lot of threads here in the diy dtg section - but this is my first time actually posting anything here . I like your design, but what would you recommend to somebody who doesn't have a shop or capabilities to weld and stuff?
i just checked some measurements i believe you can go with wood using 1/4 inch thickness along the 17" side 1/2 for the rest. just have the top frame made or make it exactly like the rainbow printer just a snap in top frame, my top version is experimental yet, and i might just do it exactly as the rainbow printer box before its complete. you have the room and strength with that method. i might just go ahead and fab it from wood because thats what im guessing most people will do here....+ alot faster.
i have most of the material in wood so i will start fabricating one up with the wood method, ill post some pics when its done. then i can give you specifics on the measurements

Last edited by german13; April 7th, 2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 5:48:24 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Unhappy Re: epson 1100-1900 platen designs

Well, after reading your plastic welding thread - I must admit, I'm intrigued. I like the $35 price for the welder and I could probably rent an air compressor for cheap. I'm not too familiar with PVC prices, but they couldn't be too bad... right? Anyhow, the only thing that's really holding me back from building a diy dtg is the lack of a solid RIP program for specifying exactly which channels to print from (seems like nobody has a single definite answer). Also, correct me if I'm wrong - but it seems like many RIP programs tend to make the white layer very light - so it doesn't really stand out enough on a black shirt.

Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 5:53:56 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

McCrockett

i have really high expectations for the 1900 using marks (da guide) rip program. i am told that this will work wonderfully, i believe you can use 4 channels of white. if you cant get enough down with that i would be shocked. daguide will better serve you in that area thats his specialty. try pm him with your questions

The Following User Says Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
McCrockett (April 7th, 2010)
Old April 7th, 2010 Apr 7, 2010 7:31:53 PM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrockett
Anyhow, the only thing that's really holding me back from building a diy dtg is the lack of a solid RIP program for specifying exactly which channels to print from (seems like nobody has a single definite answer). Also, correct me if I'm wrong - but it seems like many RIP programs tend to make the white layer very light - so it doesn't really stand out enough on a black shirt.
I think you are going to more than happy with the amount of white ink that can be put down with an 8-channel printer. If you want, we (MultiRIP) can create a white swimming pool of ink (AKA a waste of money) if you really want it on a 1800 / 1900 printer because of the drop sizes available and the current viscocity of white ink. Most users pull the white ink volume slider down into the 80% range to prevent it from flooding. This is also based on having a good nozzle check of course.

The one thing I will tell anyone that is interested in creating their own DIY DTG printer and needs is a RIP is to "try it before you buy it." You can download the MultiRIP GP from this link - Download a free trial version of MultiRIP RIP Softwares. You can learn how to install and use the MultiRIP GP software through all the videos and PDFs on this page - MultiRIP GP Direct-to-Garment Printing Software for dtg Printers - Epson Digital Printers. You will see you have several options to control the amount of white ink that is deposited. The RIP will put a watermark across the print until you validate the software. But you will be able to see enough of the design to determine if the software works for you. I recommend to most new dtg owners to use the Print From application as it allows you to preview the white underbase layer and allow you to make adjustments.

I think a quick tour of the dtg forums will show the majority of issues with dtg printers is not the RIP, but the hardware. So if you can take care of building a solid DIY DTG printer, then you should not have an issue with the RIP.

Good luck with your build!

Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
McCrockett (April 8th, 2010)

This is a discussion about epson 1100-1900 platen designs that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in