[DIY DTG] epson 1100-1900 platen designs - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] epson 1100-1900 platen designs

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 13th, 2010 Apr 13, 2010 9:30:54 AM -   #31 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Default Re: epson 1100-1900 platen designs

dk

here is the wood unit finished in black paint. dont know what kind of look your looking for but imo unless your customer is trying to screw a door knocker to it i dont believe the units quality would come to question for ya. it all depends how much body work you want to do...lol you can make either of the three methods awesome looking. if you intend to sell them i would go with plastic or use the marble coating counter top application for wood. i have used a rust-oleum brand epoxy coating for a bar top with excellent results looks like glass or plastic very strong i dont use the flakes myself . here is a site for some info this can be used on concrete or wood. www.epoxy-coat.com. you have to weigh your skills vs cost. if you dont want to deal with the cost of plastic and a cheap welder this is a great alternative. also keep in mind the fastners & glue + finishing cost + time of wood or metal it has to be finished if you plan on marketing them. unless using aluminum which is $. plastic has some advantages and would be the premium choice no finishing required comes colored no fastners required its welded and the best one off all its light weight.

hope it helps

Last edited by german13; June 8th, 2011 at 10:42 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
34Ford (April 13th, 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2010 Apr 14, 2010 3:40:32 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Benny
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Whoa a nice looking piece of machine you got there. Thanks for the tip I will see the marble coating and see what it looks like on a piece of wood.

Old April 14th, 2010 Apr 14, 2010 3:45:20 AM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

German. I tried to build my machine with wood and acrylic material before (I sell those machines) and looks pretty good but I need more professional looking machine so I will try either with plastic, steel plate, aluminum or stainless steel (the price of the unit/machine will go up for sure). I am also planning to add my machine with a stepper motor to be able to reset my platen back to zero position for now I am using the hard way manually...

Old April 14th, 2010 Apr 14, 2010 7:07:09 AM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonknight
Thanks Bob it is the one that I am looking for, Is it build with a stepper motor to move back the platen to zero position?
This model is just using the stock step motor... There are no custom electronics. It will print forward and one would have to move the platen back by hand. I'm guessing your thinking of printing on black. The 1100 will only print on white and the second pass is not necessary. The platen will keep the T-shirt horizontally aligned (see the inside wood rail). I'm thinking of using pin lasers to vertically align the platen by hand. They are cheap and you can purchase them with mounts.

Bob ?;O)

The Following User Says Thank You to colorfinger For This Useful Post:
dragonknight (April 15th, 2010)
Old April 14th, 2010 Apr 14, 2010 8:23:01 AM -   #35 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
German. I tried to build my machine with wood and acrylic material before (I sell those machines) and looks pretty good but I need more professional looking machine so I will try either with plastic, steel plate, aluminum or stainless steel (the price of the unit/machine will go up for sure). I am also planning to add my machine with a stepper motor to be able to reset my platen back to zero position for now I am using the hard way manually...
dk

i think you will be more than happy with the plastic, i would recommend you practice the welding to get the hang of it. try to do all your welds inside of the design if you can. if you need any info just ask i welded plastic for 10 yrs. i also have the capacity to mfg your unit at wholesale price if your in need of that, i use a ultrasonic welder (friction welder) this is a much more expensive welder. this method uses vibrations to form the joint. the vibrations are of high frequency. the parts to be assembled are held together under pressure between oscillating horn and an immobile anvil and are subject to ultrasonic vibrations of a frequency 20 to 40 khz at right angles to the contact area alternating high frequency stresses generate heat at the joint interface to produce an even seem weld (no raised material from welding rod) using this method would require a min of 5 units built at a time, but it is a superb method of welding plastic.

Last edited by german13; April 14th, 2010 at 09:24 AM..

Old April 14th, 2010 Apr 14, 2010 9:33:47 AM -   #36 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
you might also consider vacuum forming(depending on your design) the plastic by a local mfg to your location. this would be my second choice for a professional retail product. the plastic flat sheet is heated and then a vaccum pulls it around the mold or die..there are tooling costs involved with the molds upfront for creating the mold or die. here is the machine www.belovac.com

Last edited by german13; April 14th, 2010 at 09:39 AM..

Old April 15th, 2010 Apr 15, 2010 9:53:45 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
This model is just using the stock step motor... There are no custom electronics. It will print forward and one would have to move the platen back by hand. I'm guessing your thinking of printing on black. The 1100 will only print on white and the second pass is not necessary. The platen will keep the T-shirt horizontally aligned (see the inside wood rail). I'm thinking of using pin lasers to vertically align the platen by hand. They are cheap and you can purchase them with mounts.

Bob ?;O)
Yes what I am thinking right now is how to move the platen back to ready to print or zero position again just by a push of button like any other commercial machines. So I think I have to add another stepper motor that can rotate backward in addition of the stock stepping motor.

Old April 15th, 2010 Apr 15, 2010 10:03:33 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Dragonknight,

I believe the motor is a two pole step motor... You could test with it and see if you could send it a small voltage (I believe its 3v) and move it in reverse by reversing the leads on the motor. However, one could just as easily pick up the platen and manually align it to the pin lasers... I'm personally not interested in manufacturing these for others. Just too many things can go wrong and being technician I can imagine the nightmares that would create (Not to mention litigation). The T-Jet made everyone in the industry aware of this.

Bob ?;O)

Old April 15th, 2010 Apr 15, 2010 10:16:42 AM -   #39 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
Dragonknight,

I believe the motor is a two pole step motor... You could test with it and see if you could send it a small voltage (I believe its 3v) and move it in reverse by reversing the leads on the motor. However, one could just as easily pick up the platen and manually align it to the pin lasers... I'm personally not interested in manufacturing these for others. Just too many things can go wrong and being technician I can imagine the nightmares that would create (Not to mention litigation). The T-Jet made everyone in the industry aware of this.

Bob ?;O)
I agree with you bob on this-after dealing with the electronics portion of the project. we considered this as well in the design. it basically makes no sense to include this feature you have to load your shirt after each print anyhow...so why include a mountain of programing and electronics when you can incorporate just a push return to o or start print location....we went over and over this and imo is just not practical and again would limit the design to specific demention set-up for diyers...

in the design i came up with the drawer-you snap your shirt in and push your drawer in to its dead stop (o) or its print start location, i could not see adding a motor to do this.the engineer said it would be faster by hand with this setup..by the time it takes you to push the button you can push the drawer in.

Last edited by german13; April 15th, 2010 at 10:23 AM..

Old April 15th, 2010 Apr 15, 2010 10:20:08 AM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

German,
Thanks for the info, especially the machine name because I need that name to find the machine in my local stores. Here in my country there are lots of plastic mfg so it will be easy to find somebody that sell that kind of machine.
But I think I will try the plastic welder because it is the cheapest of all the plastic mfg processes, I know that plastic vacuum forming is the best but the cost of the machine is expensive and I can be a plastic manufacturer myself if I have the machine I can make many other type of plastic stuff such as kitchen wares plastic. So I will stick on aluminum for my future machine like many other commercial machines or maybe I will mix them up plastic and aluminum and steel plate. I just curious how much is the plastic vacuum forming will cost?

Old April 15th, 2010 Apr 15, 2010 10:25:18 AM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Bob,
That what I need to know 3v okay let me play with it but I also interested in your pin laser guide it is easier to do. Oh I know what you mean of pin laser I can find it in my local stores. Good idea let see if I can apply it in my prototype machine.

Last edited by dragonknight; April 15th, 2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old April 15th, 2010 Apr 15, 2010 10:30:12 AM -   #42 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
German,
Thanks for the info, especially the machine name because I need that name to find the machine in my local stores. Here in my country there are lots of plastic mfg so it will be easy to find somebody that sell that kind of machine.
But I think I will try the plastic welder because it is the cheapest of all the plastic mfg processes, I know that plastic vacuum forming is the best but the cost of the machine is expensive and I can be a plastic manufacturer myself if I have the machine I can make many other type of plastic stuff such as kitchen wares plastic. So I will stick on aluminum for my future machine like many other commercial machines or maybe I will mix them up plastic and aluminum and steel plate. I just curious how much is the plastic vacuum forming will cost?
the plastic is going to be your best bet, if you notice 90% of the products are made this way for example your stock printer incasement. the site was just to show you how it works, you dont need to buy the machine just find a local manufacturer that does this. your mold will be what cost the most upfront..and depending how many you order at a time will dictate manufacturing cost...

Old May 7th, 2010 May 7, 2010 4:55:20 PM -   #43 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thumbs up Re: epson 1100-1900 platen designs

Good designs

Old May 20th, 2010 May 20, 2010 1:24:26 PM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Just thought I would post an update... Here's my platen made of PVC.... Should have the CIS and everything in place this weekend... Video should follow.

Bob ?;O)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg platen.jpg (139.0 KB, 588 views)

Old May 20th, 2010 May 20, 2010 2:19:06 PM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Very sleek!! If you don't mind my asking, how much does it weigh?

This is a discussion about epson 1100-1900 platen designs that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in