[DIY DTG] MICRO CONTOLLER MOD FOR EPSONS (poll) - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] MICRO CONTOLLER MOD FOR EPSONS (poll)

View Poll Results: do you find the price resonable for the objective?
yes 3 37.50%
no 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 26th, 2010 Mar 26, 2010 10:33:16 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Default MICRO CONTOLLER MOD FOR EPSONS (poll)

micro controllers (value for diy dtg) @ 400

Last edited by german13; March 27th, 2010 at 09:22 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 1:29:20 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: MICRO CONTOLLER MOD FOR EPSONS (poll)

the price was estimated at 3 - 400 only yesterday, firmed up at 400 pretty quickly didnt it ......... so your going to test it for just a week then you want us to pay a not inconsiderable sum for the hardware that has zero track record from somebody with a limited post history on this forum ? at the moment no i couldnt do it personally and im a known chancer ..........

i think you should let somebody else on here independently test it and report back, colorfinger would be a good candidate, im capable of getting a 1100 going as well, just my two pence.

Last edited by sodrisc; March 28th, 2010 at 01:56 AM..

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 8:22:29 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

yeah,
im testing it for a week, the product is produced by a professional electronics company. the testing is just for my own fiddling, its already guaranteed from the company who produces it, if they can design the robot electronics for the robots our military uses in road side bombs and the electronics for the drones, i think there more than capable of this little printer!
your correct in your independent test theory i have already discussed this with colorfinger and he will be receiving one FREE for his feed back. as far as the $400 yeah it is firmed up at that in fact it was suggested by the manufacturer to price it at double or more that price considering the price for a commercial dtg. if a person cant afford to invest 400 dollars for a tool thats going to give them reliable repeatable prints plus higher production, they will never succeed in any business venture. as far as i'm concerned the only chance an individual that would be purchasing the micro controller would take is that that they would have a working machine without all that b.s and without using sub-par printers and outdated ones that you can no longer get or get parts for.
i do appreciate the feedback thats why i posted this to test the diydtg market and if i would pursue it beyond the first units i have purchased. lets see what does corel draw cost or adobe or rip software some of them are upwards of 800. Its first grade math how many printers could you have running with this product compared to commercial units? i would have to end it this way if you have those kinda concerns for 400 dollar pricing dont buy it, use a sub-par printer or buy a 12000-20000 dollar unit! its no loss for me i dont make my living from it thats the difference and advantage i,m offering here

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 8:35:29 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
yeah,
im testing it for a week, the product is produced by a professional electronics company. the testing is just for my own fiddling, its already guaranteed from the company who produces it, if they can design the robot electronics for the robots our military uses in road side bombs and the electronics for the drones, i think there more than capable of this little printer!
your correct in your independent test theory i have already discussed this with colorfinger and he will be receiving one FREE for his feed back. as far as the $400 yeah it is firmed up at that in fact it was suggested by the manufacturer to price it at double or more that price considering the price for a commercial dtg. if a person cant afford to invest 400 dollars for a tool thats going to give them reliable repeatable prints plus higher production, they will never succeed in any business venture. as far as i'm concerned the only chance an individual that would be purchasing the micro controller would take is that that they would have a working machine without all that b.s and without using sub-par printers and outdated ones that you can no longer get or get parts for.
i do appreciate the feedback thats why i posted this to test the diydtg market and if i would pursue it beyond the first units i have purchased. lets see what does corel draw cost or adobe or rip software some of them are upwards of 800. Its first grade math how many printers could you have running with this product compared to commercial units? i would have to end it this way if you have those kinda concerns for 400 dollar pricing dont buy it, use a sub-par printer or buy a 12000-20000 dollar unit! its no loss for me i dont make my living from it thats the difference and advantage i,m offering here
my my touchy arent we, we only have your word for all the above, i dont know about you but i dont instantly trust people who make sweeping claims on the internet without proof. I better go back to never succeeding in any of my business ventures ..........

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 8:49:00 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

German, I can understand people's skepticism but these people are not into taking risk. You are correct. Any business can not succeed if they are not willing to invest in their production. Eventually, those 2200's will dry up and they will be at a loss to get business done. I commend you for taking this step. I know when I can show people it works this skepticism will erode. I don't think they understand the expense you have taken on to get this product to market. This is no minor undertaking. Don't get discouraged... Steve's is just one voice.

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 8:53:23 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

colorfinger of course im skeptical about a claim by somebody i dont know on the internet, anyone with half a brain should be, its helps keep your bank balance healthy. I want this to be a great mod as much as anyone else and i look forward to reading your feedback.

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 9:13:34 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

your concerns are valid, i clarified above. i have posted the website with some of my projects ScrubAir Ventilation Systems and Air Pollution Control Equipment on another post. I,m a mechanical design-fabricator by trade! that being said some of the companies i've been fortunate enough to contract for include but are not limited to boeing, new zealand airlines, american airlines ford, gm, dodge, john deere co, caterpillar, easton those are a few. as far as sweeping claims? what is that referring to? a micro controller for printers? thats a sweeping claim? wow!

touchy? not at all, if it were me i would ask the person his/her experience and or process before publicly denouncing it wouldnt that be proper etiquette? the question here was do you find the price of 400 dollars a value to the objective? do i expect anyone to pre purchase one of these without showing a demo (no) and who would? have i said i will post a video upon completion and explain its operation (yes)

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 9:21:59 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Dennis
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Oh boy, here it goes.

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 9:25:30 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

this is the internet, because i say i have worked for nasa, fbi, ibm, ci5 and mfi it doesnt prove anything, thats my point, your anonymous. videos can be faked, there was a ink one from china 18 months ago on these very forums, i was lucky enough to get a paypal refund that time around, so skeptical yes with a big S until its proved otherwise, that is the point im makeing, hell you and colorfinger could be the same person ................. no before you say i dont think you are, just makeing a point.
As i said i await feedback with interest.

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 9:30:08 AM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

I just want to through something out there for you to consider, german. What if someone gets the controller and installs it in some way that makes the controller no longer work properly or the controller just does not work from the start? I also considered doing a DIY dtg kit (I own dtgkit.com)... but this question kept coming up from the people that I spoke with when I was writing the business plan and doing my research. The same question will apply to any other electronics or hardware that may be provided. For example, I was considering providing a separate motor that would last much longer than the Epson motor to drive the platen. The manufacturer of the motor would only provide a limited warranty. This is one of the reasons why the markup on replacement parts for equipment is high. The manufacturer will either take the stance that it was tested before it left, so you are stuck with it or they have to make sure that their is enough margin in the product to cover for such events as mentioned above. So make sure whatever the price you set the controller or anything else is based inline with the terms of use of the item and be very clear upfront about the terms of use (i.e. even before purchase happens).

In the end, I scrapped the idea because there are just too many patents that cover everything about dtg printing. After some research, I found out that there is a high potential that if I provided a kit... I could be liable for violating one or more of these patents. Being an attorney and fully understanding the cost of litigation, my research of risk versus reward had the risk greater... so I just stopped pursuing it. That was based off of my personal situations - which your's could be much different.

Good luck with your project,

Mark

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 9:37:56 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

you went from suggesting color finger as a good candidate to we could be the same people..
etiquette...my friend...etiquette..
My opinion is you just like to talk to hear yourself.
I hate being ugly but your reply,s are self centered and make no sense, and are inconsistent to your own suggestions...

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 9:43:43 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
you went from suggesting color finger as a good candidate to we could be the same people..
etiquette...my friend...etiquette..
My opinion is you just like to talk to hear yourself.
I hate being ugly but your reply,s are self centered and make no sense, and are inconsistent to your own suggestions...
what ? re-read the same person quote above please. Personal insults, hmmmm, nice way to promote your mod and gain peoples trust ..........

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 9:58:02 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

DA GUIDE
your correct in your concerns, these are some of the concerns we had as well, and as with any electronics that you are installing yourself there are issues with warranty i agree. this is really just a project i began for expanding my wifes business economically. if i pursued it beyond my own needs this would have to be addressed. It is a diy application the electronics as far as patents i have little concern with i would own the programming. i could see some issues with base and platen ideas but again a slight variation in any product design pretty much exempts this aswell. look at all the comercial dtgs similarity. you would have to determine if you would be selling the whole kit or just electronics, i believe the true value to be the electronics. you are not really in the same bracket as the big boys, i suppose if you started selling alot of these and it gets the attention of those folks well anyone can sue you for anything right? i know turbo jet makes a kit! warranty is the main concern and i dont believe you can offer anything comparable to commercial units but its not a commercial unit? what are your thoughts

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 10:30:40 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sodrisc

I was simply stating exactly what you said regarding your suggestion of colorfinger as a test method. and thank you for reiterating that in your reply!
as to your reply to personal insults and promoting the micro controller. the product will promote itself, this is a project on diy dtg, this is not my business. if people like it they will inquire about it, if they dont they will not its simple. i was just not impressed with your etiquette. I appologize for my reply but i feel it was the truth and warranted. hopefully from here out we will have a better forum relationship!

Old March 28th, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 11:05:36 AM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

german,

Below are the links to the patents specifically on dtg printing that I found and there are probably more of them out there... you can make the call as what to do and not to do. There is not much on a dtg printer that is not covered under a patent in one form or another as most of these are very broadly written. In the end, these companies have siginificantly more money then I have. Knowing how the legal system works, it is possible to outspend someone and win. With at least two patent litigations already going on, it was just too risky of a business plan. So I just sell the RIP for those companies wanting to print white ink - which is not patented. You are correct about being a smaller player may keep you under the radar for some time, but it was more for me about what happens when you become noticed. I don't think TurboJet has sold that many kits and I know first-hand that guy has done some not-so-nice business practices (see the posts in this forum for John Kennedy or Austin Kennedy). So I would not use that as a benchmark in my opinion.

As for the warranty, I never could find an answer that most people would agree upon. Your right, you are not offering the same as a completed dtg printer. The problem I could not resolve is how can the customer test the product before they install it. You just never know what DIY people have done to the other components and how easy it would be to mess your parts up. I could not figure out a way where they could test the part before putting it into the printer. That was my dilemma. If you could figure that out, then I would just make it so if they remove a sticker or component to put it into the printer then there is no more warranty.

Best wishes,

Mark
Patents Related to DTG Printing
  • Brother Industries, LTD Printer for Cloth Patent - [2]
  • Brother Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha Contact-Area Detection Device - [3]
  • Brother Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha Fabric Printing Device Patent - [4]
  • Brother Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha Inkjet Printing Apparatus Patent - [5]
  • Brother Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha Multiple Platens Patent - [6]
  • Brother Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha Platens Device Patent - [7]
  • Brother Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha Printing Device - [8]
  • Brother Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha Inkjet Printing Appartus - [9]
  • Brother Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha Inkjet Printing Device - [10]
  • Cannon Denshi Kabushiki Kaisha Ink-jet Textile Printing System - [11]
  • Digital Imaging Systems Apparatus for Ink Jet Printing Patent - [12]
  • Kornit DOG White Ink Patent - [13]
  • Kornit DOG Digital Printing Machine Patent - [14]
  • Yetek Co., Ltd Ink-jet Printer for Digital Textiling Patent - [15]

The Following User Says Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
german13 (March 28th, 2010)

This is a discussion about MICRO CONTOLLER MOD FOR EPSONS (poll) that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in