[DIY DTG] buid your own base and platens from plastic - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] buid your own base and platens from plastic

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 24th, 2010 Mar 24, 2010 12:24:04 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Post buid your own base and platens from plastic

for those interested in building there own base or platens from plastic here is a great site with equipment, and tutorials i recommend using pvc as the source material. Seelye, Inc.: welding projects, thermoplastic welding (see the how to weld section)you will need a small air compressor for this tool and if you have any questions i might be able to help you aswell, i do it for a living, aswell as shielding gas mig welding. they have a great plastic welder at harbor freight tools, www.harborfreight.com just type in item# 41592-8vga or plastic welder in the search on there site. its the orange 1 made by chicago electric 35 bucks, this is a mirror product of seelye welder -400 bucks. the harbor freight unit only comes with a basic welding tip due to patent and legal reasons, but seelye tips fit the harbor freight unit. when ordering tips dont mention the harbor freight unit they are not fond of it for obvious reasons. *an additional note for those who want to make an easy adjustable platen take a look at your common house hold ironing board that collapses, by using this simple design makes the platen awesome and if you want to use an enclosed t shirt box like the rainbow printer just simply add a spring to the bottom*
hope it helps ya and of course YOUR WELCOME!

Last edited by german13; March 26th, 2010 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: add info

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
colorfinger (March 25th, 2010), finep ts (June 25th, 2010), Swagger11 (March 25th, 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010 Mar 25, 2010 7:24:12 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Benny
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: buid your own base and platens from plastic

Wow! Sound interesting thank you hope they can shipped outside the US

Old March 25th, 2010 Mar 25, 2010 10:58:01 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

German, this is shear genius... Thanks!

Bob ?;O)

Old June 22nd, 2010 Jun 22, 2010 10:00:01 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Hey German, I think I'm ready to start buying materials for my build. You've talked me into building a PVC base, but to be honest - I am totally clueless. I have found the welder that you recommend (harborfreight one). But would you recommend purchasing the pvc type II high impact plastic from Seelye? Also, what would you recommend as far as dimensions of pvc sheet? I think a thickness of .25" is preferred. And perhaps a 48"X48" sheet? And I guess the polypropylene rods...?

Last edited by McCrockett; June 22nd, 2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old June 22nd, 2010 Jun 22, 2010 10:22:40 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrockett
Hey German, I think I'm ready to start buying materials for my build. You've talked me into building a PVC base, but to be honest - I am totally clueless. I have found the welder that you recommend (harborfreight one). But would you recommend purchasing the pvc type II high impact plastic from Seelye? Also, what would you recommend as far as dimensions of pvc sheet? I think a thickness of .25" is preferred. And perhaps a 48"X48" sheet? And I guess the polypropylene rods...?
you know i gotta sleep some time...

i sent you a pm..and no to the last thing you added..if your using pvc sheet (which you are) you will be using pvc rod.. poly- vinyl -chloride.... and make sure you get the same color material as the rod...unless you want pin stripes..

you might want to try your hand at solvent welding..ie plumbing glue..lowes longer set-up time, you have to build a jig to hold the parts square while gluing and drying..parts have to be perfect cuts no gaps, and after it is saw cut sand the edges smooth..just like gluing plumbing pipe (tight tolerances for a good bond)..

and here is an important tip...if you remember anything remember this... what ever circular or table saw you are using to cut with make sure the blade has a high teeth count and the smallest tooth blade as you can get lowes also..... then set your blade just a smidge higher than the thickness of the plastic... the safest way to do this is with a jig saw but its slower..PLASTIC LIKES TO KICK BACK WHILE BEING CUT...just ask my brother, he cut off two fingers doing this..they put em back on.. let me tell ya putting fingers back on is expensive!!! not to mention you have to find them first...then pack em in ice and bring them to the hospital with you..THE ABOVE WILL ELIMINATE THAT.. SCARED YET...WELL GOOD IT KEEPS YOU SAFE..

Last edited by german13; June 22nd, 2010 at 11:50 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to 102557 For This Useful Post:
finep ts (June 25th, 2010)
Old June 22nd, 2010 Jun 22, 2010 10:28:56 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

oh yeah here is some research you can do... might make it easier for the novice..

find out what sizes you can get a square pvc fence post, im pretty sure they make a 6x6..and find out if you can get it near 1/4 thick..this is important for the build specs ...very

if you can find that the build is a snap...will explain if you have questions in pm..

Last edited by german13; June 22nd, 2010 at 11:36 PM..

Old June 23rd, 2010 Jun 23, 2010 3:27:58 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Dennis

PVC plastic.
Do a google search and immediately comes up the "poison plastic".
Apparently a lot of plastics are in schools and as we all know the small children stick things in their mouths and it must be toxic if chewed on. Oh well, I dont think we are going to chew on your printer base.

Here is one place I found that has white pvc in sheets.
White Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Sheeting | U.S. Plastic Corp.

McMaster Carr sells it but not in white.
McMaster-Carr

Last edited by 34Ford; June 23rd, 2010 at 03:33 AM..

Old June 23rd, 2010 Jun 23, 2010 8:16:12 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Ford
PVC plastic.
Do a google search and immediately comes up the "poison plastic".
Apparently a lot of plastics are in schools and as we all know the small children stick things in their mouths and it must be toxic if chewed on. Oh well, I dont think we are going to chew on your printer base.

Here is one place I found that has white pvc in sheets.
White Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Sheeting | U.S. Plastic Corp.

McMaster Carr sells it but not in white.
McMaster-Carr
its not good when its manufactured...most houses are sided with this...they call it vinyl siding.....poly (VINYL) chloride siding... and most drink water from it every day PVC plumbing if its not in your house plumbing which is 90% of the case especially new homes or post 1970, its at your city water treatment facility that delivers your water if you have walked down the plumbing section at the home store all pvc.

not to mention the million other things that we use everyday with this in it... plasic lawn chairs=pvc pool liners=pvc, it goes on and on...

but yes it is a good idea not to eat it... i know it looks pretty and everything...but not edible

Last edited by german13; June 23rd, 2010 at 08:41 AM..

Old June 23rd, 2010 Jun 23, 2010 9:02:50 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

the material i used is pvc type II high impact plastic.. therefor it can be solvent welded ie( plumbing glue) it just takes a bit longer to set up and your cuts have to be precise even the cut edges sanded smooth for good contact.. i suggest making a square jig for those not confident about the plastic welding..

i use the plastic welder because my edges dont have to be perfect the rod fills it. then i just sand the top level..

also you could build it from plexi ie acrylic,plexi glass lexan available at lowes..this can be painted with acrylic paint and will look the same or vinyl stickered.. the best part of this material is it is solvented welded also but its bond is instant.. heres the trick you use (mek) available at most hardware stores including lowes..lol its branded as a parts cleaner and its some potent stuff..lol (this is the main ingredient in most plastic glues) you will use it in its pure form, it has the consistency of water use a syringe or hypo applicator to apply the liquid to the pieces to be bonded, instantly becomes one piece make sure you have it in a jig no taking it apart (this is how fish tanks are made) what it does is disolve or soften the molecules for a second between the two pieces that are to be joined then it hardens intertwining the two pieces molecules ie (becomes one piece) its not gluing, solvent welding

additionally you polish the edges using a map gas torch..similar to the small propane torch just different gas... it makes it awesome...

P.S DO NOT ATTEMPT TO POLISH THE EDGES WITH ANY MEK PRESENT IT IS EXTREMELY FLAMABLE..

This is a discussion about buid your own base and platens from plastic that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in