[DIY DTG] Micro contoller mod for epsons - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Micro contoller mod for epsons

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 6th, 2010 May 6, 2010 1:52:05 AM -   #46 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Micro contoller mod for epsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger
I agree, the worst thing that could happen is the wife or one of the kids could be printing shirts for me and when I'm not around something goes wrong and the printer is left in a general error state... If your on a deadline you lost a whole day... Looking forward toward your controller German...

Bob ?;O)
frankly if your looking for something your wife and kids can use you need a brother GT-541 not a DIY DTG or any other DTG for that matter, most are non trivial for operation. I get zero startup issues and registration is always spot on with the current setup, i sell over 100 shirts every week direct to retail, if it was that much hard work i would have bought a commercial DTG by now, hey im not saying its perfect but it works and it works very well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2010 May 6, 2010 8:05:57 AM -   #47 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

i know there are several, general solutions to get a print all the way from the c88 up..
the goal as steve mentioned above is to get the printer to function like a brother brand or a commercial dtg at a low cost..

this is what the controller does hassel free prints for a fraction of the cost- with the controller..

Old May 6th, 2010 May 6, 2010 8:58:00 AM -   #48 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
i know there are several, general solutions to get a print all the way from the c88 up..
the goal as steve mentioned above is to get the printer to function like a brother brand or a commercial dtg at a low cost..

this is what the controller does hassel free prints for a fraction of the cost- with the controller..
What I like about the controller is that it opens up doors to other software that may provide the ability to print a white layer without complexity... For example QuadToneRIP provides the ability to control channels... If one could figure out how to get it to print to a limited number of channels on might be able to achieve a white undercoat... Just an example... but now we can look around and get more creative with our options...

Bob ?;O)

Old May 6th, 2010 May 6, 2010 9:03:55 AM -   #49 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodrisc
frankly if your looking for something your wife and kids can use you need a brother GT-541 not a DIY DTG or any other DTG for that matter, most are non trivial for operation. I get zero startup issues and registration is always spot on with the current setup, i sell over 100 shirts every week direct to retail, if it was that much hard work i would have bought a commercial DTG by now, hey im not saying its perfect but it works and it works very well.
Yes Steve and your basing this on a machine that is no longer being manufactured? How long will that last? And for how many? German2 has opened up a door for a new direction... This is for future DIY makers. I see no reason in belittling his contribution. I'm always going to move to the next generation when they become available... This makes the best market sense to me. But again this is my opinion and you are welcome to yours.

Bob ?;O)

Old May 6th, 2010 May 6, 2010 11:24:31 AM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Yes Steve and your basing this on a machine that is no longer being manufactured? How long will that last? And for how many? German2 has opened up a door for a new direction... This is for future DIY makers. I see no reason in belittling his contribution. I'm always going to move to the next generation when they become available... This makes the best market sense to me. But again this is my opinion and you are welcome to yours.

Bob ?;O)
no bob at the moment i choose to use a 1160, i can use a R1800 if i like, i can even use a R1900 if i so wish to convert one without any additional electronics, whats old about those printers ? parts are still very available for the R1800 and will be for the forseeable future. im not belittling anything german is doing, especialy in regards to the 1100, i have simply pointed out to anyone else who reads this public forum that additional electronics are not required for all newer printers, you seem to have a problem with that, why is this bob ?

Old May 6th, 2010 May 6, 2010 11:51:44 AM -   #51 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Steve, Really no problem on this end... You are basically saying there is no need for the additional electronics but admit you have never built a 1100 or 1900... The 1800 and the 1160 isn't the same beast nor are they currently in production... That's all I am saying and have been saying all along...

Everyone I know who has built a 1100 or a 1900 has run into the problem of the sensors giving a general error... Yes you can get around it and I have... I understand that people can use Multirip on the 1900 and bypass the need for additional electronics to solve this problem... I have yet to see anyone demonstrate that they have actually done this... I would love to see the video.

German's mod is for convenience and would save valuable time in troubleshooting... But please build your own 1100 without it and I expect to see you wasting time.

Bob ?;O)

Last edited by colorfinger; May 6th, 2010 at 11:56 AM..

Old May 6th, 2010 May 6, 2010 4:39:42 PM -   #52 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

just wanted to post information regarding the claims that rip (multi rip) will over ride or over come the printers sensors...

I conferred with Mark (DaGuide) here is his quote(" The rip (MultiRip) does nothing more than create the firing commands for the print head") end quote.

as for the above mentioned 1800... the paper tray feed mechanism is still included (functioning) in the design. the pe sensor is included in the design riding on the platen as it would paper...

so this is how it normally works with paper.. 1 paper is feed into tray. 2 paper feed wheel turns (inside paper tray) it is turned by the ASF motor to deliver paper to start position under print head....as paper feed wheel turns(inside of paper tray) it spins and trips the APE sensor on the relay board along side of paper tray at a specific given time (in epsons firmware) 3. within this same sequence of the paper feed tray spins turning and triping the APE sensor it also pushes the paper into position tripping the PE sensor also within a specific time programmed in epsons firmware. the PE sensor acts as the control for print start and print end (when pe switch open its in print position when closed its ended and out of paper--at this instance the (pf wheel one with encoder) takes over with the movement of the paper (so two motors involved in delivery of the paper and 2 sensors..this timing sequence is all measured in mili seconds.

all the above conditions have to occur at exactly the given time and speed. or the end result will be error codes PAPER OUT-PAPER JAM-PAPERLOADED INCORRECTLY-OR GENERAL ERROR what it was intended to do to prevent them.
so the issue is now this printer is printing tshirts--- there is no longer paper being feed thru the tray to meet all the sensors requirements. the pe therefor has to be tripped manually within these given times either by hand or object.. since the ASF motor is not feeding the paper turning thru the APE SENSOR tripping the PE SWITCH anymore its not in control of the timing... and its nearly impossible to get with the human eye or by hand...

lets say you get it tripped that one out of five times--shirt starts printing, pe rides down platen, trips off at end of platen or print...boom OUT OF PAPER ERROR..now the paper tray keeps rotating trying to feed it paper well theres no paper it errors out...you clear print jobs-shut the printer down-start it back up to try and trip it again..

so the conclusion is it doesn't matter if the paper tray is on top underneath or in the next room...there is no paper going thru it (which is step one in the process... the only reference i can think of off hand is its like trying to take off in your manual transmission car in 5th gear, you missed four of them and its going to stall, jump spudder and whatnot..

i did this for hours and hours on end you will be lucky to trip it 1 out of 5 times... ill even give ya 2 out of 5.. it does not make practical business sense as far as production...if you are just doing this as a hobby or project that might suffice.

my opinion if there was one working it would have a video to prove it or back up its claims that it doesn't get errors and it runs consistently with multiple prints... and we would all be printing and not in the diydtg section of the forums...none of us humans have a micro processor for a brain that can control these elements by eye...
i would love for someone to prove me wrong on this...i'll be waiting (i dont want to see a single print video..lets see at least a ten minute video fully showing the shirt being loaded with the print being executed finished and repeated again and again) if i had a homebuilt dtg of this nature i would be more than proud of it and showing people how to do it!!!!

its very frustrating especially to people just starting to try this that find out they spent alot of time effort and money for false hopes on these printers (thats exactly how i felt when i reached this impasse ...i have worked the (1100 brand new)-(1400 used) and the( r1900brand new) all with the same sensor issue.. they all error out in the same fashion because there not designed to print shirts...thats why every comercial dtg based off an epson head re engineers the printers with a controller to fool the sensors...and get 12-18k for them....

like i said ill be waiting.... this is no disrespect towards anyone just the facts as i know them

Last edited by german13; May 6th, 2010 at 11:53 PM..

Old May 6th, 2010 May 6, 2010 10:42:41 PM -   #53 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

German,

Thank you... Finally sanity and honesty...

Bob ?;O)

Old May 6th, 2010 May 6, 2010 11:50:14 PM -   #54 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Benny
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
I conferred with Mark (DaGuide) here is his quote(" The rip (MultiRip) does nothing more than create the firing commands for the print head") end quote.
Yes I agree with Mark, In programmer term it is called a special/Initial handshake command to the printer. As What Jeff (German13) doing is like there are many road paths to go to Rome right? you just choose your own path you like than.

Old May 7th, 2010 May 7, 2010 12:26:24 AM -   #55 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Simon

Sorry for the interruption, but i need some info in order to understand
The 1900 have a manual feed slot? or just the asf like the 1400?

Old May 7th, 2010 May 7, 2010 1:40:41 AM -   #56 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
the models that i am focused on are the r1900 and workforce1100.
any chance that the 2100/2200 will be supported?

Old May 7th, 2010 May 7, 2010 2:34:31 AM -   #57 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
German,

Thank you... Finally sanity and honesty...

Bob ?;O)
I knew it would come to this, your calling me a liar, you have something to sell to people on here, so you have a vested interest, i do not. My 1800 is currently broken, it needs a new head and motherboard (over zealous use of cleaning fluid and a syringe), im not paying to fix it just to prove you wrong. However i was not alone and as far as i know jacollie's R1800 still works, care to post a vid to prove it jacollie ? and no there are no startup problems or issues tripping the paper sensor when using multirip, you would like that wouldnt you, but it simply isnt true. why would i purchase the full multirip version if it was doing this with the watermark version ? it wouldnt make any sense, unless of course im lieing about that as well ................

I will say this to anyone who does a R1800/R1900, get as far as setting it right up, leave the paper tray attached to the top and the pe sensor where it is and trip it with the platen, download the trial version of multrip and see if it works without the need for addtitional electronics before you buy any, if it works intermittently you probably have issues with the tray binding when feeding the shirt through, not a random pe sensor error because you dont have the extra electronics, as when mine worked it wouldnt work at all without multirip, not one single time, with it does everytime as long as everything with the tray is setup correctly and of course it has to power on to a green light before trying to print anything. So now people can test this for themselves, the truth will out............

Last edited by sodrisc; May 7th, 2010 at 03:06 AM..

Old May 7th, 2010 May 7, 2010 3:13:42 AM -   #58 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Simon

I agree with Steve.
I believe any epson with a manual feed slot will work. If it can print on thick paper then the most possible is that it can be converted to a dtg without the need to add or remove something, only re-arange the parts.

I have read tons of info about the printer i make, but i found that some of this was totally wrong.
I found stuff on my printer that are not mentioned anywhere

Information here does not flow as it should be because after someone makes a successful machine he then makes a kit and sell it instead of sharing, so he keeps his secrets for himself....
Just my opinion

Old May 7th, 2010 May 7, 2010 7:44:17 AM -   #59 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodrisc
I knew it would come to this, your calling me a liar, you have something to sell to people on here, so you have a vested interest, i do not.
How did I call you a liar? I'm not selling anything. Where is my vested interest here? I'm simply sharing what my experience is... As soon as I get my 1900 up I'll test it with MultiRip... German spoke with Mark (DAGuide) and was told that MultiRip does not forgo the issues with the sensors... Did you bother to read that post?

Sorry you are taking me so personally... Ever since I brought up this difficulty you seem to have a raw *** with me... Your the one who called my contribution in these forums "fodder." I can assure I have no problem with you but it is clear you have one with me.

Peace,

Bob ?;O)

Last edited by colorfinger; May 7th, 2010 at 07:54 AM..

Old May 7th, 2010 May 7, 2010 7:54:25 AM -   #60 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

CMOS, I agree with you to some extent... I complained about the same thing about people's lack of contribution. German and I have provided pretty good pics of both of our mods... Anyone can see how mine was built and build their own... It's really an easy setup. I have not drafted up plans but if I do and someone is willing to pay where is the foul? So far my experience is only with the 1100 but I know that working with others in these forums they have run into the exact same kind of problems with the 1100, 1400 and the 1900. You simply have to read the 1400 and 1900 threads to find them... Perhaps since Steve knows how to make it work he can share his secrets.

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)

This is a discussion about Micro contoller mod for epsons that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in