[DIY DTG] Micro contoller mod for epsons - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Micro contoller mod for epsons

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 15th, 2010 Apr 15, 2010 2:44:20 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Default Re: Micro contoller mod for epsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
none of the connections are to the mother board itself. i agree for ease of install connectors would be the best choice, however again that comes down to cost and time to apply them...
let me rephrase that...it essentially is to the mother board but to existing leads out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2010 Apr 21, 2010 2:55:58 AM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

hey german is your machine working???

i´m curious about it...

Old April 21st, 2010 Apr 21, 2010 7:19:34 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingelding
hey german is your machine working???

i´m curious about it...
the machine is definitely working. we are working with some eleventh hour programming tweeks (the controller is professionally manufactured. we are also working on a website for the kit products (i have partnered with a fellow diy,er on this) those details will we released by him upon inception,i will debut it with a design in plastic that my company developed, German mechanical design.(the platen base) we are wraping up on that as well, its precision guided belt drive, (actuator style) for the motion control. this i will make available along with the micro..

just keep an eye here or subscribe to this thread for the released videos in the near future.

thanks jeff

Last edited by german13; April 21st, 2010 at 07:24 AM..

Old May 4th, 2010 May 4, 2010 7:50:29 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

just thought i would post an update on the microcontroller...we are getting very close to a finished product.. here is a pic of the controller with wiring to give an idea..

this is still not the final, final will be green just like most every other electronic board you see, but wiring will be same..

will post up vids on completion..
jeff

Last edited by german13; June 8th, 2011 at 10:42 PM..

Old May 4th, 2010 May 4, 2010 7:54:32 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Awesome!

Bob ?;O)

Old May 4th, 2010 May 4, 2010 10:41:02 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Benny

Looks promising

Old May 4th, 2010 May 4, 2010 1:28:33 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Guten Tag german

what epson models will be supported?

Old May 4th, 2010 May 4, 2010 2:01:29 PM -   #23 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanone
Guten Tag german

what epson models will be supported?
Sprechen Sie Deutsch...lol i know very little myself.

the models that i am focused on are the r1900 and workforce1100.

1100 for those who only want to print to white t-shirts and the r1900 for both.. the programming is the same with little variation.. the two units have the same foot print, the electronics are nearly identical with the exception of the cdr sensor on the r1900. (in reference to the sensors)

it will also work on the 1400 but is not practical for laying down enough white ink and the 1400 is not rip supported. so i will not support the 1400

so to make it simple the r1900 is the main application and the 1100 as secondary for those not wanting to deal with white ink or rip software..

the micro is designed so that it can be reprogrammed for new models that come out with just a shipping expense and program charge. in most cases this will not be required as long as epson keeps the same design of sensors which they have with the new generation printers but is not guaranteed of course..

additionally we are looking into the possibility of the existing eject button to be reengineered for the load button...just started checking in to this..it could be totally impractical but i have requested that it be looked in to by the manufacturer of the micro.

Last edited by german13; May 4th, 2010 at 02:10 PM..

Old May 4th, 2010 May 4, 2010 7:42:30 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Jeff,
I think you should consider supporting Epson 4880 and the older model Epson 4800

Old May 4th, 2010 May 4, 2010 9:14:21 PM -   #25 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonknight
Jeff,
I think you should consider supporting Epson 4880 and the older model Epson 4800
dk

my view on that is we are talking a 4-500 dollar printer compared to a 2000 dollar printer.

my target market is the diy dtg market (myself included) thats what brought me to this project. my opionion is there will be very view diyers willing to tear into a 2000 dollar printer! in most cases if you have the $ to do that you are most likely in the bracket to purchase at minimum a used or refurbished commercial unit...just my opinion.

there are also advantages to parts etc with the 1900, for example you can purchase a whole new machine for the price of a replacement print head...and have the remainder as parts...cost that out on a 4800... in my opionion to make this a viable cost effective solution you have to use what i define as a throw away printer 1900 down, but it needs to be rip supported!

i believe there is a niche market here for a low cost quality machine. there is also a fine line in my opinion as far as cost..

your not going to get a quality unit for 150 bucks its just not possible (some may define quality different than i do) the drive parts alone on my actuator design cost 140 dollars (bearings, pulleys, belt etc) not including the material and fabrication. so that being said i believe a professional functioning light weight platen base is part of this equation coupled with the controller. so i can produce a professional manufactured platen-base and controller for around half the cost of the 4800. add your r1900 you a have a great unit... or add the controller to your own design and thats even more attractive solution as far as cost to benefit.

now you have to look at it the other way with the 4800, an instant 2g's on top of the mod cost the price is getting up there?

keep in mind im offering no technical support (outside of installation instructions, video support), or warranty. so this is not an economical route for the diyer USING A 4800..IMHO. (check the warranty that most commercial dtg makers offer generally 12-18 months and some are parts and labor only?) that on a 12,000-17,000 unit is not a warranty in my opinion and warranty are only as good as the company thats backing them up?

as i have said before i cant see charging commercial prices for epson machinces,that you dont have control of production or parts futures. (outside of brother and kornit they are all just hacked epsons)

on the same token i see why they do, the more i got involved with this..printer cost, manufacturing cost, labor cost, technical support, insurance, rip software, warranty etc.

if someone came to me and said can you make a controller for the 4800? well the answer is yes, but what are you willing to pay for a 1 off controller that you will probably sell very few of? these just dont happen over night if you know what i mean and it costs to produce them. manufacturing cost, programming cost, developement cost etc... i haven,t looked at a 4800 manual to see there sensor set up..so with all this being said it could be the same and therefore configured to work...just dont think there is a good market for them in this context.

There are so many variables to these machines... its just going to be time and market tested, and it could be a big flop for all i know. i know another person has tried to implement a kit on a 2200-it apparently didnt do well! that could be for a number of reasons, including the printer that was used (2200) which is obsolete..i cant comment on business practices or quality besides what i've read...but the bottom line is no dtg kit producing company can warranty a 2000 kit product of this nature, that is being put together by people outside of your control with various skill levels-- (its a kit therefor you save money by doing the labor and service work)

either way at a minimum it will expand my wifes business to our projected expectations (the original goal at hand)

tell you what if you finance the project we will make a whole bunch of cool stuff? deal (and i say that in the most jubilant friendly tone i have)lol

Last edited by german13; May 5th, 2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old May 5th, 2010 May 5, 2010 9:44:42 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Yes your opinion does makes sense. I know that you have a MOQ (minimum order quantity) for your controller to be produce and the market for 4800 controller is small maybe only 2 or 3 diyers will modify 4800 (I will be the first one to make DIY DTG out of 4800 because my current machine, a commercial machine from US, can print up to A3 size and it is base on 2200), but if you buy a used 4800 I think it gonna cost you only $1000 to $1100 which is almost the same price with new R1900 ($700-$800). So I think some diyers will consider to build a DIY DTG out of 4800 considering the fact that it can print up to A2 size, well again maybe you should make a poll here to know the market need of 4800 controller and if there is enough people let say 50 people so you can produce it right? that is just my opinion. If I will make the funding than you should go to Indonesia and make some cheap DTG printer here

Old May 5th, 2010 May 5, 2010 9:54:13 AM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

dk

the r1900 new is between 400-500 us dollars, and i have seen them on ebay used for 100-150 us dollars.

.a far cry from the 4800...there print heads are similar as well..but take a look at the price on the replacement print head for the 4800....

as far as a poll...lol they dont go so well as discovered last time..you get alot of viewers very few voters and usually the people that chime in see value for the product but dont want to pay!

for example on the poll i posted regarding the micro controller the last checked numbers read like this (932viewers) (8voters) and mostly comments regarding the price!!!!!!

so ill just put it out there and its sales&reviews will dictate if theres a viable market for them..

Last edited by german13; May 5th, 2010 at 10:06 AM..

Old May 5th, 2010 May 5, 2010 10:05:09 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

ok than I should wait for DIYers of 4800 to grow...or maybe I can order a custom microcontroller to be compatible with epson 4800? You only need to change the program inside the flash memory of the microcontroller, correct?

Old May 5th, 2010 May 5, 2010 10:29:58 AM -   #29 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonknight
ok than I should wait for DIYers of 4800 to grow...or maybe I can order a custom microcontroller to be compatible with epson 4800? You only need to change the program inside the flash memory of the microcontroller, correct?
dk

i think you should take a closer look at the r1900..it is quite a nice machine with 8 channels like the 4800.

there are several commercial dtgs based off the r1900 already, that should should tell you something!!! as well.

as far as the micro controller yes you are correct..its programmed to function with the existing sensors. like i said im not familiar with the 4800 sensors it may be the same sensor setup. therefore would be compatible fairly easy.

as far as the programming of my micro-controller being able to be modified by the end user its not possible...it is heavily coded and i have copy wrighted the program... if its fooled with it will erase the program from the processor and you just wasted your money..

you can have one custom made by any suitable electronic engineer thats familiar with what your objective is..again you should cost this out...it is not cheap.

you have to develope a board, you have to write or pay to have a program created for the application...there is alot to it as i have found out..
one of the issues that i ran into is that the pf motor has to be isolated from the circuit because of the higher voltage (45v) the sensors are between 3-5volts!
i intially was going to use a parralax micro controller (pre made) it was missing some key components to function like the isolation mentioned above, therefor i had to have a board made- it started with what i thought to be a simple fix but ended with a much different and difficult avenue.

Old May 5th, 2010 May 5, 2010 10:36:31 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

have you tested a r1900 with multirip without any extra electronics ? it should work as the chassis is essentialy the same as the the R1800 and that definatly works with multirip and no extra electronics. If it does indeed work without one and i cant see any reason it wouldnt, whats the advantage to using your controller ?

This is a discussion about Micro contoller mod for epsons that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in