[DIY DTG] Can it be done - wide format epson DIY? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > DIY DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for those do it yourselfers who are working on building their own DTG machine.

[DIY DTG] Can it be done - wide format epson DIY?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 23rd, 2010 Feb 23, 2010 6:03:32 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Can it be done - wide format epson DIY?

K,

Well I'm working on the problem with my build... The issue for me has nothing to do with my skill... Yes, there are no problems with the C88. It is a simple unit. Yes, Gutenprint with Gimp should do the trick.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2010 Feb 25, 2010 4:51:44 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Colorfinger,

I have built a C88 printer to print on golf balls and have had problems with the paper sensor. If I build one from a 1400 will a rip solve the issue with the paper sensor? The 1400 will be for T-Shirts. I have read hundred of post from the different threads and i'm a little confused about this

Old February 25th, 2010 Feb 25, 2010 6:35:50 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100proof
Colorfinger,

I have built a C88 printer to print on golf balls and have had problems with the paper sensor. If I build one from a 1400 will a rip solve the issue with the paper sensor? The 1400 will be for T-Shirts. I have read hundred of post from the different threads and i'm a little confused about this
The paper sensor is a real problem... I suspect that an older 1400 will work but Epson changed the model and I suspect it works like the other wide format printers. You could try the Multirip Trial and see if it actually solves the problem. Steve says it will. If you join the DIY DTG Yahoo group there is a fellow who says he has developed a RIP for around $150 that will print the White layer.

I've got a few ideas that I want to try but little time. I'll get back if I find a solution. All I can say is give it a try. I recommend you go with the R1900. The 1400 will not lay enough white down and will require at least two runs. The added benefit of the R1900 is that it has a Teflon covered head.

Just my opinion. Perhaps somebody who has done it might chime in...

Bob ?;o)n

Old February 25th, 2010 Feb 25, 2010 6:51:00 PM -   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Bob,
Thanks for the information. You have made a bunch of great posts and I appreciate you sharing you information. Have you converted one of the C88? If so how did you trip the paper sensor. If you like I could post some pictures of the paper sensor retrofit. I have a 1900 that I use for transfers and proofing but it was expensive. I would hate to convert one with out knowing if the sensor or sensors could be activated.

Jimmy

Old February 26th, 2010 Feb 26, 2010 5:57:32 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Jimmy,

No I dived in and am converting a Workforce 1100. I have studied the service manual for the 1100, 1400 and 1900 and they are basically the same. I can trip the sensor manually and that isn't the real problem. The problem is that Epson has encoded additional logic into the tripping of the sensors that I haven't quite been able to overcome in a predictable fashion. I have a 1400 that I use for creating separations but the additional channels are of little use as a DTG in my opinion. I'll let you know if I get it nailed.

Bob

Old February 26th, 2010 Feb 26, 2010 1:30:40 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks Bob. Again I appreciate you sharing your info.

Jimmy

Old February 26th, 2010 Feb 26, 2010 2:29:23 PM -   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I am going to get an epson 1100 and start converting it this weekend. $199 at Best Buy.

Old February 26th, 2010 Feb 26, 2010 2:32:22 PM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100proof
I am going to get an epson 1100 and start converting it this weekend. $199 at Best Buy.
Look forward to hearing your progress... I've got everything stripped down and mine created. I'm just stuck.

Bob

Old February 28th, 2010 Feb 28, 2010 10:04:07 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Here we go... I was able to get a reasonable print using Gutenprint for Windows. There is still an issue where the printer will give a "Fatal Error." I just keep shutting the printer off and on till it stops. Of course you are wasting allot of ink since it reinitializes each time.

You can not use the print driver shipped with the 1100. I believe the R1900 will be the same since the 1100 documentation states that the APG sensors are identical to the R1900.

I can not speak for the 1400 but I've yet to see anyone demonstrate that they have gotten the newer model 1400 to work.

Sorry for leaving more fod...

Bob ?;O)

This is a discussion about Can it be done - wide format epson DIY? that was posted in the DIY DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in