is dtg right for me? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

is dtg right for me?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 3rd, 2009 Aug 3, 2009 3:27:01 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default is dtg right for me?

hello, iīm new and have a bunch of questions
hi everyone,

iīve posted this in the member introductions forum, but no one seems to read it, so iīm posting it here again.

iīm sebastian from germany, 31 yo graphic designer. i have my own business as a designer for almost 7 years now, iīm pretty happy with my job-situation so far, but i always wanted to make my own shirts. so i thought i could expand my business and try to sell my designs on shirts. i have a couple of friends who always dreamed about the same thing so they would produce their shirts on the machine iīm thinking of to buy as well. i also know a lot of people in the music business, and i know thereīs a lot of demand for customized shirts in low quantities such as for tours, labels, artists etc... my main client also has the need for a couple hundred shirts a year.

as i mentioned, i donīt wanna produce thousands of shirts a month, but i also donīt want to make cheap individual shirts for anyones birthday or something like that. iīm thinking more of quantities from 10 to 100 per shirt design and a pricing of 25 to 50 euros per piece for the end-consumer ( thatīs round about 35 to 70 usd, i know that might sound much to you, but in germany thatīs a realistic pricing ).

i donīt have the room and patience for screen printing, and after a little research iīm pretty sure dtg is the right technology for me to go with, so i can print on any garment and have no limitations with colors and fades and stuff... i requested some sample-shirts from anajet, and as far as iīve read in the forums here they must be pretty good... dtg isnīt that widespread here in germany yet, so i donīt know anybody who could give me advice or further information... iīve read about the difficulties with white ink and maintenance and all that stuff and it makes me hesitate a bit. i could also imagine buying a used machine, but as i said, here in germany the dtg market is pretty small so far, and i donīt wanna buy a used machine from overseas, too risky for that amount of money...

has anyone some general advice?

thanks ahead

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2009 Aug 3, 2009 3:54:40 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: is dtg right for me?

Sebastian, Looks like you may have a good price point. The one thing that I'd do on your end is to send you art to printers that use DTG. Find out what they use and see if they can give you the quality that you want with your artwork using CMYK and white. If you do get any printer, you need to print frequently and do maintenance religiously.

Old August 3rd, 2009 Aug 3, 2009 4:08:12 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_monster
Sebastian, Looks like you may have a good price point. The one thing that I'd do on your end is to send you art to printers that use DTG. Find out what they use and see if they can give you the quality that you want with your artwork using CMYK and white. If you do get any printer, you need to print frequently and do maintenance religiously.
thanks ian... so far i only sent my own design to anajet, i will try to send it to some other manufacturers as well... how frequently would i have to print? my experience is that my job can sometimes take all my time, but i guess i could print at least one shirt a day to keep it running if thatīs enough...

Old August 3rd, 2009 Aug 3, 2009 4:11:15 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

You know it does sound like you would have a good business model for it, just make sure to do your research really well and know what to expect. If I recall correctly, isnt there a large printwear show in Germany? I can swear I remember some people going to it last year. If there is that would be a great place to go and see all the different machines in action.

Another thing to consider is there a distributor of the machine you are interested close to where you are? The support for them as you are learning is important as well as being able to get service, since they are do wiegh quiet a bit if you need to have them repaired Just some things to consider when getting into it.

It does sound like it might be a good option based on your business model though.

Old August 3rd, 2009 Aug 3, 2009 4:24:21 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydayz
You know it does sound like you would have a good business model for it, just make sure to do your research really well and know what to expect. If I recall correctly, isnt there a large printwear show in Germany? I can swear I remember some people going to it last year. If there is that would be a great place to go and see all the different machines in action.

Another thing to consider is there a distributor of the machine you are interested close to where you are? The support for them as you are learning is important as well as being able to get service, since they are do wiegh quiet a bit if you need to have them repaired Just some things to consider when getting into it.

It does sound like it might be a good option based on your business model though.
thanks... yes thereīs a show 2 hours by car away from here in october, iīm planning to go there... the distributor for anajet for example is in berlin, thatīs quite far away unfortunately... but as those printers are based on epson printers i guess a epson technician could repair it as well, right?

Old August 3rd, 2009 Aug 3, 2009 4:32:14 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Well a epson repair person is not going to have alot of the parts it would need, as there are some parts that have been modified. You can get your printheads, things like that when you need from them, but they will not work on the machine because it has been modified. You would need a dtg tech to fix it, if you ever need it. Once you have it a while though you will find that alot of what needs to be done, you can do yourself, expecially once you are out of warranty its much cheaper to do it yourself when you get to that point.

Since you will have a show coming to your area soon, I would really wait till you go the show and watch each machine print, plus your local distributors should be there I would take my own file with me to the show, and have each one print out a sample for you. You will be able to see them print, and they can also go through and show you what you will need to do maintenance wise. It really is not a big deal doing mantenance, just understanding what needs to be done is the most important.

You also might want to think of just starting your printing with cmyk, until you get the machine wired on how it works, and then add the white ink. This can save you some frustration at first if you learn this way.

Old August 3rd, 2009 Aug 3, 2009 7:52:58 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Getting a print from the vendor is fine, but I would suggest getting a reference from them from a business that uses the printer. You'll get a better picture of the service and hopefully the user might be better at producing their "art". Like Sunnydays said, get your own art, offer to pay them to do their best at reproducing it. Printing every day is a plus if you are using white ink. Having enough printing each week is essential.

This is a discussion about is dtg right for me? that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in