DX5 Printhead - Regular failure on ONE Colour Channel - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

DX5 Printhead - Regular failure on ONE Colour Channel

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 29th, 2020 Jul 29, 2020 6:37:07 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default DX5 Printhead - Regular failure on ONE Colour Channel

Hi guys

We've been doing DTG for many years always with the same NeoFlex original.

In the last two years we've gone through quite a few printheads and the failure always follows the same pattern - one of the colour channels totally stops working! A printhead is lasting maybe 3 months and the dies!

We print daily to keep the inks moving and one day the printer will produce perfect prints and the next a channel will completely fail!

I always use salvaged printheads from other printers - usually the Epson 2880. I know from experience that when I completely lose one of the colour channels and do everything I know to recover it, fitting a replacement head will fix the issue immediately.

I will usually, replace the damper, reverse flush the printhead, ensure there are no clogs, check cables, and all the other usual stuff. Unfortunately these remedies don't work and there's zero printing from the broken channel.

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Would a replacement BRAND NEW printhead work longer than the 2nd hand ones I'm using?

2. Is there something 'programmed' into the the printhead that fails these printheads after a certain time/print count?

3. Is there a counter built into the head that causes the issue? If so, is there anyway of resetting the counter?

4. I have seen printheads described as 'Locked' or 'Unlocked' - what exactly does this mean?

5. Finally, is there anyway to reset a printhead to bring it back to life?

Any other info would be gratefully received as I'm getting rather tired of these problems and I'm about to 'pull the plug' after many years of DTG printing.

Cheers

John

Last edited by Stitch-Up; July 29th, 2020 at 06:44 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2020 Jul 30, 2020 3:17:02 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DX5 Printhead - Regular failure on ONE Colour Channel

You forgot to mention which color is the one failing.

Normally the channel of the most used color will fail first.
If you switch that color to a different channel, the failure occurrence will should also move. If not, then the problem is somewhere else.

Losing all the nozzles at the same time is not normal. My guess is that you have a faulty mainboard and it is somehow burning a particular channel.

There is no programmed failure in the printheads.
"Locked" means that the printhead will work on EPSON printers only.

How many prints are we talking about before the failure?

Last edited by TABOB; July 30th, 2020 at 07:07 AM..

This is a discussion about DX5 Printhead - Regular failure on ONE Colour Channel that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in