So many options Epson F2100, Brother GTX, Coldesi DTG G4, Omniprint... my head is spinning please help - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

So many options Epson F2100, Brother GTX, Coldesi DTG G4, Omniprint... my head is spinning please help

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 13th, 2020 Apr 13, 2020 11:32:11 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question So many options Epson F2100, Brother GTX, Coldesi DTG G4, Omniprint... my head is spinning please help

After years of frustration with various production partners I am in the market to get a DTG printer. From what I am reading any that have white built in eliminate the need for a pre-treatment machine?? if I am wrong please correct me on this.

I will be using this printer in my home. Initially I will not have a large volume about 100 shirts per month. But that will be increasing to 500 to 1,000 once I have my own equipment. I also own a Mac computer so it must be able to work with it.

What printer out of Epson F2100, Coldesi DTG G4, Brother GTX, or if you have a suggestion, would best fit these things?

Least waste of ink
Easiest maintenance
Least expensive maintenance
Least expensive ink
Vivid colors
Can go without use for several days without clogging up
Large sized printable area so 3XL and up shirts do not look odd due to a small printable area.

It also appears I will need a heat press and a pretreatment machine so I am looking for any recommendations on this as well

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2020 Apr 14, 2020 11:42:18 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Thanked 2,563 Times in 2,280 Posts

Default Re: So many options Epson F2100, Brother GTX, Coldesi DTG G4, Omniprint... my head is spinning please help

To use white ink you will need to use pre-treatment.
SDTC likes this.

Old April 14th, 2020 Apr 14, 2020 11:50:23 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: AL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: So many options Epson F2100, Brother GTX, Coldesi DTG G4, Omniprint... my head is spinning please help

Do you have any equipment now and if so what do you use it for?
AL

Old April 14th, 2020 Apr 14, 2020 1:16:57 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Ahh, you are seeking the UNICORN DTG.

You should know it doesn't exist.
The reality is, 'What are you willing to compromise to do your own printing?"

Since you are NEW to DTG I suggest looking at providers better suited for rookies like Katana or OPEN DTG. You will find when starting new that REDUNDANCY is your FRIEND.

Old April 14th, 2020 Apr 14, 2020 2:03:53 PM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Have you seen att transfer? They use the white ink/toner which is a better which is better than water based ink. IMO.

Old April 14th, 2020 Apr 14, 2020 4:09:29 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

SDTC, The printer is half the battle. Other things to consider on getting the best print: Shirt, Pre-treat solution, pre-treat machine and curing ink.

All of these are questionable and subject to discussion.

It's like baking a cake, you may have all the basic ingredients but everyone has their own ways of baking one..

I have a Epson F2100 and it's a good printer, not a big fan of DTG but got in the game..

Let me know if you have any questions on the F2100..

Best of luck!

Old April 14th, 2020 Apr 14, 2020 4:12:41 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

The other major thing to consider as well if the Artwork..

Needs to be 300 dpi in order to get the best print.

Too many factors to consider.

But once you have your receipt locked down then you are golden..

Old April 15th, 2020 Apr 15, 2020 5:41:42 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Ziggy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTC
Least waste of ink
Easiest maintenance
Least expensive maintenance
Least expensive ink
Vivid colors
Can go without use for several days without clogging up
Large sized printable area so 3XL and up shirts do not look odd due to a small printable area.
Based on these data--especially the part that I bolded--I would choose the Epson F2100.

Old April 15th, 2020 Apr 15, 2020 5:46:20 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublial
Do you have any equipment now and if so what do you use it for?
AL
I have no DTG shirt equipment.

I do have a mug press and a Sawgrass SG400

Old April 15th, 2020 Apr 15, 2020 5:50:30 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerFlorida
Ahh, you are seeking the UNICORN DTG.

You should know it doesn't exist.
The reality is, 'What are you willing to compromise to do your own printing?"

Since you are NEW to DTG I suggest looking at providers better suited for rookies like Katana or OPEN DTG. You will find when starting new that REDUNDANCY is your FRIEND.
I did look at the OPEN DTG and the Katana it looks like they both use Epson printers. My concern would be consistency and reliabiity with OPEN DTG.

If I was to get a more expensive printer with no redundancy and it went down I can always go to a third party POD provider temporarily until the problem is fixed. Are the newer printers that unreliable that I would have to be highly concerned that. new printer would go down ?

Old April 15th, 2020 Apr 15, 2020 5:58:50 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by selanac
Have you seen att transfer? They use the white ink/toner which is a better which is better than water based ink. IMO.
No, I do not know what that is.

I am assuming it is heat transfer rather than DTG ? That would limit it to polyester shirts correct ?

Old April 15th, 2020 Apr 15, 2020 6:08:39 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneo213
SDTC, The printer is half the battle. Other things to consider on getting the best print: Shirt, Pre-treat solution, pre-treat machine and curing ink.

All of these are questionable and subject to discussion.

It's like baking a cake, you may have all the basic ingredients but everyone has their own ways of baking one..

I have a Epson F2100 and it's a good printer, not a big fan of DTG but got in the game..

Let me know if you have any questions on the F2100..

Best of luck!
I did not know about the pre-treatment until it was mentioned earlier in this thread. So I have no idea what pre treat machine and solution to get.

Curing inks I am not familiar with, is this different from the printers ink?

My current POD partner uses Gildan's and FOL's so I would probably stick with those unless there was a reason to change to something else. I know they charge a lot more for the other brands but I do not know what the wholesale cost is as they are obviously marking it up making the profit margin slim.

I have been leaning towards the F2100. The GTX seems to be faster but seems to have a lot more issues with clogging up from what I have read. Also it seems it also has ink waste issues. Although I could be wrong on that.

How many shirts can you realistically run in 1 hour on your Epson ? and about how many shirts can you get out of the ink before replacement ?

Old April 16th, 2020 Apr 16, 2020 10:16:40 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTC
I did not know about the pre-treatment until it was mentioned earlier in this thread. So I have no idea what pre treat machine and solution to get.

Curing inks I am not familiar with, is this different from the printers ink?

My current POD partner uses Gildan's and FOL's so I would probably stick with those unless there was a reason to change to something else. I know they charge a lot more for the other brands but I do not know what the wholesale cost is as they are obviously marking it up making the profit margin slim.

I have been leaning towards the F2100. The GTX seems to be faster but seems to have a lot more issues with clogging up from what I have read. Also it seems it also has ink waste issues. Although I could be wrong on that.

How many shirts can you realistically run in 1 hour on your Epson ? and about how many shirts can you get out of the ink before replacement ?
Your Pretreat machine will be determined by how many shirts will you be doing. If your doing anything above 50+ shirts a week, then I will recommend you getting a Pretreat machine. There's plenty of them out there, ranging from $1000-$5000. If you're doing less then you could use a Wagner spray gun, you could get this at your local hardware store or online. White shirts doesn't require pretreatment but you can if you want.

For pretreat solutions I have found Firebird FBX-100 Gen3 for Epson F2100 DTG Pretreatment works the best. This pretreat will not stain your shirts when you press them. Epson's pretreat is expensive and will stain your shirts.

There's two ways of curing (drying) the ink, you could heat press it or you could run it through a conveyor dryer. Both will give two separate outcomes, heat pressed will give you a smooth print and a conveyor dryer will give you a screen print feel. But you could scorch the shirt if you apply to much heat and pressure while using the heat press.

For best results it's recommended to use a 100% Ringspun shirt. Ringspun shirts have a tighter weave so it will give you a smoother surface to print on. You could use any Cotton shirt but your results will vary from shirt to shirt. Many options out there and they are all around the $3.00 mark.

The F2100 has a auto ink circulation feature that helps with the ink clogging issue. I have also heard that the GTX has print head issues with clogged ink.

As for the ink lasting, well it's almost near impossible to come up with a number. This really depends on the print and if your doing a single pass or double pass. But typically its in the near 200 prints per cartridge. The best way to track and regulate how much ink is used per shirts is by using a DTG RIP sotware. Your looking at another$1000-$2000 for this.

You will need:
- Good high resolution 300dpi artwork with transparent background.
- Ringspun shirt for best results.
- Good even coverage of pretreat, pressed and dried ready to go.
- Make sure ink is fully dried by using your heatpress or conveyor dryer.

I hope this helps. I am sure there's other people that could add to this.

Best of luck!!

Old April 20th, 2020 Apr 20, 2020 3:29:55 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneo213
Your Pretreat machine will be determined by how many shirts will you be doing. If your doing anything above 50+ shirts a week, then I will recommend you getting a Pretreat machine. There's plenty of them out there, ranging from $1000-$5000. If you're doing less then you could use a Wagner spray gun, you could get this at your local hardware store or online. White shirts doesn't require pretreatment but you can if you want.

For pretreat solutions I have found Firebird FBX-100 Gen3 for Epson F2100 DTG Pretreatment works the best. This pretreat will not stain your shirts when you press them. Epson's pretreat is expensive and will stain your shirts.

There's two ways of curing (drying) the ink, you could heat press it or you could run it through a conveyor dryer. Both will give two separate outcomes, heat pressed will give you a smooth print and a conveyor dryer will give you a screen print feel. But you could scorch the shirt if you apply to much heat and pressure while using the heat press.

For best results it's recommended to use a 100% Ringspun shirt. Ringspun shirts have a tighter weave so it will give you a smoother surface to print on. You could use any Cotton shirt but your results will vary from shirt to shirt. Many options out there and they are all around the $3.00 mark.

The F2100 has a auto ink circulation feature that helps with the ink clogging issue. I have also heard that the GTX has print head issues with clogged ink.

As for the ink lasting, well it's almost near impossible to come up with a number. This really depends on the print and if your doing a single pass or double pass. But typically its in the near 200 prints per cartridge. The best way to track and regulate how much ink is used per shirts is by using a DTG RIP sotware. Your looking at another$1000-$2000 for this.

You will need:
- Good high resolution 300dpi artwork with transparent background.
- Ringspun shirt for best results.
- Good even coverage of pretreat, pressed and dried ready to go.
- Make sure ink is fully dried by using your heatpress or conveyor dryer.

I hope this helps. I am sure there's other people that could add to this.

Best of luck!!

Thank you very much, this helps greatly

Any presses you would recommend? I am assuming if I were to get a press then I could do other flat dye sub items as well, it would just be a matter of setting the time and temperature differently?

I am thinking if I get a press I could use it for canvas tote bags is that something I would use dye sub transfer paper for? I have an SG400 not sure if that would be a big enough print area or if I would need an SG800.

I could also use it for coasters and other flat items as well correct ?

Any recommendations on the DTG RIP software?

I am not sure where to get blanks from any recommendations ?

Old April 20th, 2020 Apr 20, 2020 6:38:39 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: AL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Being you already have a ink jet sublimation printer you only need a
white toner printer and Image Clip paper for darks.
AL
PatWibble likes this.

This is a discussion about So many options Epson F2100, Brother GTX, Coldesi DTG G4, Omniprint... my head is spinning please help that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in