T-Shirt Forums banner

Can any idiot run a DTG printer?

[Need Help Selecting Which DTG Machine to Buy] 
1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joe503 
#1 ·
Hi!

I have a souvenir brand and we focus on designing logos. They have lots of colors!

As a guy with zero expertise in printing, how hard is it to run a DTG machine?

When I look at videos, it looks labor intensive but simple - spray the shirt, heat it, print it, heat it, etc etc etc.

Then the parts look just like paper printers - like, ink runs out, refill it, repeat.

EASY! Right? Then I get on these forums and it just sounds like a friggin nightmare!

Who can help me out here? Is it really that bad of an idea for a *Design Guy* who really doesn't know printing and just needs a solid product for his accounts to dump money into this and get it rollin'?

Thanks!!

#2 ·
Hi!

Who can help me out here? Is it really that bad of an idea for a *Design Guy* who really doesn't know printing and just needs a solid product for his accounts to dump money into this and get it rollin'?
You need a DTG machine with almost none maintenance, pre-treatment machine and a good therm-press.

It is for example, new DTG Digital G4 printer. It is using cartridges, automatic cleanings and reminds you what manual maintenance you have to do. Automatic height adjustment and vacuum platen help a lot for non-professional user.

Anyway, it is still not a simple office printer, printing on A4 paper. To print good, and keep it running in good performance you will have to learn how it works and how to print good quality T-shirts.

#3 ·
EASY! Right? Then I get on these forums and it just sounds like a friggin nightmare!
It depends.....
CMYK DTG is just like printing on paper, but CMYK+W DTG is a freaking nightmare.

You need a DTG machine with almost none maintenance
"almost"... and until you need a new printhead. It's a consumable... right?

Also, let's just forget that different shirts need different settings...
It is doable... but time consuming, expensive, and way too many things can go wrong.

#4 ·
Hi!

Then the parts look just like paper printers - like, ink runs out, refill it, repeat.

Thanks!!
Hello there, hope all is good with you and yours.

Well... some training is a must. The print process is the easiest one: place the t-shirt on the pallet and press the start button.

However, in order to get a good print you need to know how to pretreat, handle the graphics, print and cure good as well!!!

I would suggest you to have a look at some videos on the web or if possible get some more info on the basics before you do anything else.

#5 ·
The 'lesser idiots' are much better at running a DGT.
The more you run your DTG the better it will operate.
The more you run your DGT the faster you will learn.
The more you get your hands into the machine, the sooner you become the master of your DGT kingdom.

If you do not have the volume to run everyday, you will get caught in a perpetual 're-learning' loop and maintenance that could have been avoided.

I say all that to say this, "It is all hard when you don't know the answers!"
As a business owner you signed up to be a problem solver, vision maker, crowd leader and social contributor. The challenge becomes how much time do you have AND will you love where you will be spending your time to acquire the answers.

Have you explored the 'no touch' alternatives to DTG?

#7 ·
I like the sound of this!

On that topic, however, do you think eventually the smart people who design these will get them to the point where, like automobiles, pretty much anyone can own one as long as they can press buttons properly?

If you see it going that direction, where it becomes even more automated and idiot-proof, then I am content to wait it out several years until that day arrives.

But if you think this is as good as it's going to get, then I guess I need to make a decision.

Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.