T-Shirt Forums banner

Are DTG's worth the investment?

[Need Help Selecting Which DTG Machine to Buy] 
2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  horrorjunkie33 
#1 ·
I heard there was issue with triblends. Is there other materials or colors that are hard to print on? I've know DTG's have come a long way in development. If these problems have been resolved, is it worth it to buy a new machine or can a year old model tackle these issues?

#2 ·
As with any piece of equipment, it is only worth the investment if you have sufficient volume to get value from the investment before it becomes junk.

DTG ink is water base. Water base ink is a bit more difficult to print on anything that is not 100% cotton (or perhaps other natural fibers). I believe there are now some DTG inks/pretreatments specially made for synthetic fabrics, but I've no idea how well they work, or if they can also be used on 100% cotton.

#6 ·
ROI is important then just purchasing a glorified ink jet printer to make small quanity of shirts.
I can buy a ink jet printer to print sublimation ink for around $200.00 that with a White toner printer costing using white toner for $695.00 to now print onto all white polyester fabrics, hard substrates and also onto DARK COTTON shirts at only $895.00 versus $15,000 to $20,000.
Look how many shirts you need to make to get your investment back. Are they worth it?????.
AL

#8 ·
Hello there, I hope you all ok!

I got a few ideas to share, perhaps it can help out a little:

2 - Why should you choose DTG printing?

Print with fewer restrictions
The main benefit of this printing technology is the types of design you can print and how fast you can print them. Since all colors are mixed with CMYK inks, you can use all colors that are within the printable color range (gamut) in every single design. You are not limited to a handful of colors, you can
go crazy with your designs. You can print photos and gradients - only your imagination is the limit.

Workflow Integration (Digitalization)
DTG is a digital technology and therefore it can be seamlessly integrated into your workflow. If you, for instance, run an online shop, you may be able to connect your shop directly to your printer and make your life much easier. Also, with Industry 4.0 and the Internet of Things around the corner, DTG opens up many options for disruptive business ideas.

Customization / Small runs
With direct to garment printing, you can make each print unique. With this, you or your customers can customize every single T-Shirt and you are also able to offer small runs of prints at a competitive cost.
Can reduce costs
Compared to screen printing, you don’t need to invest any time and money up front, like making color separations and screens or mixing the paste.

Environmentally friendly
DTG is rather environmentally friendly and generates less waste. Additionally, some inks are certified for e.g. GOTS and Oeko-Tex.

4 - What are the „downsides”?

You need a controlled room
DTG printers (especially the inks) are more sensitive to environmental conditions, mainly to humidity and temperature levels. This means you will need to place your printer inside a room where you can control the environment.
The room also needs to be clean and dust-free.

Printable materials
Whereas there is a wide range of printable materials, you may need to
test this on a case to case basis. Usually, DTG printers use pigmented waterbased inks. They work very well on cotton and many other materials. But some fabrics like polyester, blends or coated fabrics can be very challenging, especially when you want to print with white ink. Please talk to your manufacturer, they should be able to give you more information on their material compatibilities.

Height limitations
The distance between the printheads and the substrate is very low (a few millimeters). That means that the garment has to be absolutely flat. There can not be any elevations like seams, buttons, pockets or zippers.

Large Runs
If you have large runs of the same design, screen printing may be more cost-effective.

Colors
You are limited to the colors within the printable gamut, which can differ between garments, garment colors, processes like pretreatment and inks. Many colors are simply not available at the moment, like real neon colors.
In terms of color correctness and hitting specific shades like Pantone, we believe that there is lots of research going on at the moment and we are sure that this will be possible soon.

Learning Curve
There is a lot to learn when you start with DTG printing because there are many different factors that influence each other and the final printing result. Good training for the operators, sales force and designers is a must-have.

Season greetings to all!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.