[DTG Pretreatment] When do i know when pretreatment goes bad? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

[DTG Pretreatment] When do i know when pretreatment goes bad?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 7th, 2019 Oct 7, 2019 8:53:55 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default When do i know when pretreatment goes bad?

Hey everyone! I just recently purchased 6 gallons of pretreatment from the company i purchased my DTG printer because i hate constantly ordering every week/two weeks.. depending how business goes. My problem is i am not familiar on how long pretreatment suppose to be good for. I wanted to know if anyone knows if they can tell if a pretreatment is bad.. like is there anyway to check?

Can i just look at it when i spray down on a shirt or look inside the bottle and notice that the pretreatment is old, like an expired milk lol.

Thank you all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2019 Oct 8, 2019 3:22:16 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Karolis
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: When do i know when pretreatment goes bad?

Hey, i will reply off my experience.

Black pre-treatment liquid starts to have some kind of impurities. When you pre-treat t-shirt it's like white solid dots appear from pre-treatment. If that happens, pre-treatment liquid went bad... It's like it starting to crystalize and you should stop using it for production. You may try to filter it and you may have a chance to recover it.

White and polyester pre-treatment liquid will start smell bad, but except from the smell, we ain't had any issues in production. I never noticed any impurities in white or polyester pre-treatment liquid.

I think if pre-treatment liquid is tightly closed and stored in the cool dark place (no direct sunlight) it just shouldn't go bad. It's chemicals after all.

The Following User Says Thank You to onlycashholder For This Useful Post:
BrunoMendez (October 8th, 2019)
Old October 8th, 2019 Oct 8, 2019 10:12:50 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Everson

Hello there!

I'd like to give a few suggestions as well:

1- Pretreatment (as well as the white ink) needs to be agitated at least 3 times per week.
2- Pretreatment solutions should have at least 6 months shelf life (check with the supplier)
3- To check if the pretreatment has gone bad: do a visual inspection in the barrel/bottle. If there are sediments at the bottom of the barrel probably it's too late.
4- You can do this check to verify whether the pretreatment solution is for Dark/Coloured garments (designed to work with the white ink).
- Agitate well the bottle of pretreatment.
- Pour 10 - 20 ml in a clean container.
- Put 5 - 10 drops of white ink in.
- Stir it.

When the white ink immediately transforms into a ball of gel, the pretreatment is still good for use AND is a Dark/Colours solution.

5 - On the other hand, if the white ink simply integrates with the pretreatment, making a "milky" solution, this pretreatment was designed for White/Light Colours.

Hope that helps.

-

The Following User Says Thank You to DTG Merch For This Useful Post:

Old October 8th, 2019 Oct 8, 2019 1:15:59 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I personally exclusively use Firebird pretreat and have so for a few years now. Firebird has a money back guarantee with their pretreat. They cover a few things under that guarantee among that is a shelf life of one year and you do not have to dilute or shake their pretreat. I personally have never had pretreat sit around for a year but the closest I got was 9 months and I never bothered to shake it or anything and it printed fine right away. Not all pretreat is created equally I have learned over the years. And for Firebird to put their money where their mouth is says something on their products, they also have pretreat designed for specific ink types instead of a one size fits all there they custom tailor their formulations to a specific printer and their ink type. I'm not saying it is the best pretreat in the world or anything I just have not used anything that is better and even Firebird has some limitations on what it can do but it has a lot less limitations then some of the other pretreats on the market.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ghoster32111 For This Useful Post:
Old October 8th, 2019 Oct 8, 2019 8:16:51 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I appreciate every single person respond. I'm definitely will be using the technics from now on. I usually have my extra gallons sitting around for 2/3 weeks until i actually use it.

I was told that the shelf life is a year. Thanks again guys.

This is a discussion about When do i know when pretreatment goes bad? that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in