DTG hidden costs - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

DTG hidden costs

Like Tree34Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 18th, 2019 Oct 18, 2019 10:39:13 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DTG hidden costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighborhood PS

Hope it helps, shocked to see my video on the forums!
We like to share cool videos.

who told you about the video? I see we have a traitor on our forum

The Following User Says Thank You to seacookie For This Useful Post:
Neighborhood PS (October 19th, 2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2019 Oct 19, 2019 2:20:19 AM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacookie
We like to share cool videos.

who told you about the video? I see we have a traitor on our forum
Lol to be fair I'm a nerd for numbers, so I was deep diving into the analytics page for the video. That's when I noticed t-shirtforums pop up as an external referrer out of nowhere. I was curious to see in what context it came up, so I google searched the video share link and t-shirtforums.com... and here we are! At least that's what my inside man told me to say. Heh heh.
seacookie likes this.

Old October 19th, 2019 Oct 19, 2019 6:54:50 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Heh heh.
The whole truth is that I stumbled on your video about Ken closing his DTG. I watched the video, liked it and I was surprised that you don't have many subscribers. Video was really good and your energy is all over the video. Sooooooo,
watching 1k+some left overs I sad to my self: this guy need some push. So I subscribed. Then I got that video about dtg cost under you tube recommendation.

Sooooooooooo, now you need to be nice to me, cause you don't have many subscribers, yet. Heh heh.

The Following User Says Thank You to seacookie For This Useful Post:
Neighborhood PS (October 20th, 2019)

Old October 20th, 2019 Oct 20, 2019 9:10:52 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacookie
The whole truth is that I stumbled on your video about Ken closing his DTG. I watched the video, liked it and I was surprised that you don't have many subscribers. Video was really good and your energy is all over the video. Sooooooo,
watching 1k+some left overs I sad to my self: this guy need some push. So I subscribed. Then I got that video about dtg cost under you tube recommendation.

Sooooooooooo, now you need to be nice to me, cause you don't have many subscribers, yet. Heh heh.
That's actually really nice of you to do that, wow. Having been in business for what 10 years now, I'd doubt that 95%+ of my Facebook friends would even bother to like a post, much less go out of their way to give me a plug. You have my deepest appreciation seacookie. I'm glad you told me the back story, I'd have never know the story behind some text on an analytics screen, what a rabbit hole! To find out it was a real life act of good will just makes my weekend!

Old October 20th, 2019 Oct 20, 2019 10:51:44 AM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
That's actually really nice of you to do that, wow. Having been in business for what 10 years now, I'd doubt that 95%+ of my Facebook friends would even bother to like a post, much less go out of their way to give me a plug. You have my deepest appreciation seacookie. I'm glad you told me the back story, I'd have never know the story behind some text on an analytics screen, what a rabbit hole! To find out it was a real life act of good will just makes my weekend!

seacookie is a good egg

The Following User Says Thank You to into the T For This Useful Post:
Neighborhood PS (October 20th, 2019)
Old October 20th, 2019 Oct 20, 2019 1:45:37 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: AL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Why would anyone pay $15,000 to $20,000 for a Ink Jet printer that you can buy for $150.00.

you can buy a $150.00 and sublimation cartridges to print hundreds of substrates including shirts.

It doesn,t make any financial logic.

Old October 21st, 2019 Oct 21, 2019 1:16:40 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublial
Why would anyone pay $15,000 to $20,000 for a Ink Jet printer that you can buy for $150.00.

you can buy a $150.00 and sublimation cartridges to print hundreds of substrates including shirts.

It doesn,t make any financial logic.
You can't print cotton shirts with sublimation inks.
DTG Merch likes this.

Old October 21st, 2019 Oct 21, 2019 10:36:44 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Ilan

Quote:
OP of that youtube video here. The maintenance is going to be more in line with the $4,000 estimate these days. 2010-2013 was the wild west in terms of QOL issues for DTG's. The ink cost, production cost, and time per piece makes DTG really targeted towards the lower volume/higher complexity market that screen printers can't service. My primary reason for staying out of that market in recent years is that I haven't found many customers willing to pay for good creative while only ordering low quantity. And in my market, not too many people walk in with a dozen full color, print ready designs, looking for a few of each to get rolling. Rather than POD we typically inventory and fulfill. Yes this leaves a large number of unproven startup brands looking elsewhere, but it also has allowed us to work with brands with traction who can invest a few thousand to soak up the extra margin on each sale over the next few months. We also get to bill three times, production, storage, and shipment. The last two are paid by the end customer while providing a convenience to our client.

Over the years I've tried a lot of processes, some stuck, some didn't. We have/had a CAMS machine (sold), DTG (sold), multiple manuals and eventually an auto, several heads of Embroidery, vinyl plotter, and a converted 4800 for sublimation. Even so, screen printing generates 80%+ of the revenue in our model, while having the lowest production cost and highest revenue per hour of all imprint methods. Some DTG centric businesses do well, as the commenter seacookie referenced expressed. I would say with absolute confidence that his business is in the small minority of DTG operations. Most simply don't scale into multiple machines and find their hook. Of those that do, they're offering something special. Take a peek at John Santos' POD tour of the DTG one stop shop.

Also, most screen printing shops don't scale to auto, and most businesses fail. So I get that it's a low lying argument to make. I'm saying from a risk/reward standpoint, there tends to be more capital investment and risk for a DTG startup compared to a screen printing startup. Given perfectly equal failure and success rates, the DTG startup dropouts will be burned harder than their screen printing counterparts. And of those that want to put their production on ice for a few years and come back to it. The Screen Printers will be coming back to wet plastisol long after the dead DTG print head has ossified to the tune of thousands in repair.

I couldn't imagine financing $20,000 in screen printing gear with no customer base, it's simply not necessary. But the same can't be said of DTG, if you want to own/operate, there's a real pay to play aspect to get into the minor leagues.

Hope it helps, shocked to see my video on the forums!
Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for your response, I saw your video even before posting this thread (I did like and subscribe to your channel). The internet is flooded with DTG success stories and itís hard to find an objective and informative video like yours, it was certainly an eye opener for me so I want to thank you for that.

I am a Graphic Designer and I want to start a business of my own, thatís why I thought a DTG/POD business could be a nice fit for me, but after doing lots of research I realize that it is not as profitable as I thought and it isn't worth the risk. Iím sure if someone already has an established screen printing business, it will make sense adding DTG to complement it, but starting from scratch (without previous experience) just a DTG business must be tough. I estimated that I will have to sell around 1000 T-shirts a month just to get a decent profit, and thatís only working on my own, I couldnít see myself selling an average of 40 T-shirts per day, not even after a year in business (If I got that lucky).

Donít get me wrong, I think DTG is a wonderful technology, and Iím sure there are some people making a good profit from it. I havenít quit the idea entirely, I just know that I have to approach it differently. My idea now is to open an online shop on RedBubble or a similar website where I can upload my designs, build brand awareness on social media and see how it goes, the only thing I can lose is time and maybe some money on ads and SEO, but it is not going to be even close to the $40,000 investment I was considering for my business. If that works out well maybe Iíll consider opening a business of my own or even partnering with an already established POD business and offer them to run a DTG department, will see.

Thanks again for taking your time to answer.

Cheers!

This is a discussion about DTG hidden costs that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in