Ink transferred on Teflon Sheet - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Ink transferred on Teflon Sheet

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 25th, 2019 Jun 25, 2019 9:16:51 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Alex
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Ink transferred on Teflon Sheet

Does anybody else have any experience of this occurring..

When I cure a t-shirt, if I use teflon or maybe even parchment paper, if I try to use it again afterwards it can transfer remnants of the ink from the last cure to the one you're currently doing.

What would you recommend to use for cleaning these then if so?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2019 Jun 25, 2019 11:05:37 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Ink transferred on Teflon Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbox3
Does anybody else have any experience of this occurring..

When I cure a t-shirt, if I use teflon or maybe even parchment paper, if I try to use it again afterwards it can transfer remnants of the ink from the last cure to the one you're currently doing.

What would you recommend to use for cleaning these then if so?
Teflon can be cleaned with water, or even lacquer thinner.
Parchment paper should be single use, but you can often reuse it a few times. Make sure you are hovering long enough before pressing, as this will reduce the chance of ink sticking to the sheet.

Old June 25th, 2019 Jun 25, 2019 4:10:39 PM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,003 Posts

use this --->>> https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bak...433SLINER.html

Old June 25th, 2019 Jun 25, 2019 8:47:33 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I feel like you have some other issues going on here. You're not pressing hard enough, or hot enough, or long enough. Or some combination. I go days at a time between cleaning the teflon on the bottoms of my heat presses. There's never supposed to be any ink coming off the shirt onto the teflon. Walk me through what you're doing?

Old June 25th, 2019 Jun 25, 2019 10:39:39 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Emilio

I have occasionally experienced some trace of plastisol ink left on the teflon sheet. As soon as it cools off a bit, you can simply rub it off. I use a paper towel to thoroughly scrub the teflon.

But I use a teflon sheet like this only rarely, mainly to correct a mistake. I wouldn't use it for regular curing. It's best to cure all your shirts in a dryer.

Old June 26th, 2019 Jun 26, 2019 12:05:07 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I believe he's talking about DTG ink, not plastisol, as he's posted this is the DTG forum section... Most of us strictly DTG printers don't have conveyor dryers. DTG inks get their wash fastness by fusing under a heat press with parchment, silicone, or teflon sheets.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedClothing For This Useful Post:
Emilio2000 (June 26th, 2019)
Old June 26th, 2019 Jun 26, 2019 3:38:33 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedClothing
I feel like you have some other issues going on here. You're not pressing hard enough, or hot enough, or long enough. Or some combination. I go days at a time between cleaning the teflon on the bottoms of my heat presses. There's never supposed to be any ink coming off the shirt onto the teflon. Walk me through what you're doing?
From what I believe the only things worth noting is.. I don't have a hover press, so maybe you may argue the ink may still be wet when curing. I press on a low pressure. The teflon I use isn't integrated into my press, I use teflon sheets. When this has happened in the past with parchment paper, if I leave the paper over night I never get the accidental transfer on the next occasion.

Does this point towards there still being moisture in the ink on the sheet, for it to be able to transfer, or could it still be transferred anyway if heated up to the right point?

The reason I'm troubled over this is, I'm having to swap between 3 sheets of teflon currently, and I find cleaning them a slightly difficult task as I cannot see where exactly the ink is (small incidents) until it's too late.

Any input/advice much appreciated people, nice one!

Old June 26th, 2019 Jun 26, 2019 5:55:22 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,502 Times in 2,220 Posts

When you need cover paper to come in direct contact with ink, be it plastisol or DTG, use disposable one-and-done paper. Too much labor wasted cleaning teflon sheets after ever pressing or every 3rd pressing.

We use parchment paper.

Old June 26th, 2019 Jun 26, 2019 6:10:10 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbox3
From what I believe the only things worth noting is.. I don't have a hover press, so maybe you may argue the ink may still be wet when curing.
That's exactly what it is! If you don't have a hover press, then your only safe option is single use parchment paper.

Old June 26th, 2019 Jun 26, 2019 12:00:59 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
That's exactly what it is! If you don't have a hover press, then your only safe option is single use parchment paper.
This is not correct. We don't hover at our shop. Hovering decreases long term washability. We have regular teflon covers on each press. No issues with ink sticking to the teflon. He still has an issue somewhere.

Old June 26th, 2019 Jun 26, 2019 12:16:35 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
This is not correct. We don't hover at our shop. Hovering decreases long term washability. We have regular teflon covers on each press. No issues with ink sticking to the teflon. He still has an issue somewhere.
So everybody in the industry advising to hover and avoid using Teflon sheets is wrong?
Hovering does not decrease washability if the pre-treat and white ink settings are correct.

Pressing without hovering (as you do) can improve the washability of a bad print, but will also result in muted colors.

Old June 27th, 2019 Jun 27, 2019 9:08:12 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
So everybody in the industry advising to hover and avoid using Teflon sheets is wrong?
Hovering does not decrease washability if the pre-treat and white ink settings are correct.

Pressing without hovering (as you do) can improve the washability of a bad print, but will also result in muted colors.
Hey, you caught on quick! I am saying that everybody in the industry is generally wrong. Hovering definitely does decrease washability. You've evaporated water off the top of the ink instead of using that water evaporating to fuse the ink together. It's a trade off in that you'll get a slightly shinier print, which goes away after the first wash, but increased long term wash fastness. I'll wait while you go run some wash tests.

It also does not result in muted colors. It would only results in muted colors if you're pressing wayyyyyy too hard. I'll wait while you try that too.

The point, going back to the original post, is that I believe he has some issues with temp/time/pressure or something else completely. Maybe his heat press isn't flat on the bottom. Is the ink in the same spot on the teflon every time? Maybe his heat press has coils that are bad and low temp areas. Does he have a heat gun to check the temp on the bottom of his press? Maybe he doesn't have actual teflon. Maybe it's a bad cover or bad batch of teflon sheets.

Regardless of how we do it at our company, or you do it at yours, a hundred thousands shirts printed here without any hovering tell me he shouldn't have any ink left on a teflon sheet.

Old June 27th, 2019 Jun 27, 2019 11:39:46 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
You've evaporated water off the top of the ink instead of using that water evaporating to fuse the ink together.
DTG ink is not concrete and does not need water to cure. On the contrary, DTG inks only cure after the water has evaporated.

If the print is good, they can be can be cured in a tunnel dryer without a problem (no pressure at all).

This is a discussion about Ink transferred on Teflon Sheet that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in