Ricoh Ri 100 DTG $5k - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Ricoh Ri 100 DTG $5k

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 25th, 2019 Mar 25, 2019 10:32:42 AM -   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ricoh Ri 100 DTG $5k

I just received this printer last week and I've enjoyed playing around with it. Thank you to those who have posted on here already as it has helped me become a little more familiar with it. The instructions don't really seem to be all that thorough.

I am preferring to print in vivid mode right now from Photoshop. While I am getting good results, I am noticing that some of the test washes I have done seem to fade in the cold water wash I am putting them through after only 1 wash.
Does vivid need a longer cure in the oven or should I be pressing them to get better washability results.

Any help is appreciated! Loving this little printer so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2019 Mar 25, 2019 11:03:22 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calista20
I am preferring to print in vivid mode right now from Photoshop. While I am getting good results, I am noticing that some of the test washes I have done seem to fade in the cold water wash I am putting them through after only 1 wash.
Does vivid need a longer cure in the oven or should I be pressing them to get better washability results.
On this page you'll see all six print modes on one shirt.
shop.inkdragondesigns.com/ricoh-ri-100-test-print/

Vivid mode does two passes over the whole print. It's the slowest mode because of that. You don't need to cure longer. All DTG prints fad a bit on the first wash without a pre-treatment.

I suggest you try some sample shirts from RTP apparel,
http://www.rtpapparel.com/products/s...o-print-shirts

They offer samples of their pre-treated shirts. These fad a lot less with any DTG printer. I got a sample from them.

Also, any ring-spun shirt will fade less. I use a lint roller before I pre-heat. Then pre-heat and print. Then cure. So ... to minimize fade:
Use pre-treaded shirts - even on white.
Use ring-spun (RTP shirts are both ring-spun and pre-teated).
Pre-press/heat.
Vivid mode is best for intensity, but Speed or Quality works for me.
Cure.
Wash to test.

What fades the most are open-ended, carded (aka cheap) shirts.

Hope that helps.

Eric

Old March 28th, 2019 Mar 28, 2019 9:51:24 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I had this same issue. Double image means you have a defective printer. The prints I was getting were worse about 1/8 inch off.

Call the Anajet customer service. They know about the double print issue with the Ri100. The cause is a bad encoder or carriage mechanism. I received a return FedEx label free of cost and the replacement printer arrived in a week.

AP
InkDragon likes this.

Old March 28th, 2019 Mar 28, 2019 10:23:02 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by APCUSTOMSHOP
I had this same issue. Double image means you have a defective printer. The prints I was getting were worse about 1/8 inch off.

Call the Anajet customer service. They know about the double print issue with the Ri100. The cause is a bad encoder or carriage mechanism. I received a return FedEx label free of cost and the replacement printer arrived in a week.

AP
I had this issue only in Vivid mode. And an alignment adjustment fixed it for me. But thanks.

Eric

Old April 2nd, 2019 Apr 2, 2019 7:31:00 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkDragon
I love it. It's fast. The design software is great. And I can print right from Photoshop.

The heatpress / heater oven is simple to use.

A shirt takes about 2.5 min to print and 3 to cure.
The pre-heat/press takes 30 sec. It came with three platens (Two A4, and one A5). I purchased another A4. BTW, for us Americans, A4 is about 8.5x11.

With three A4 platens, I can be pre/heating one shirt, and printing another, while threading another. So that's about one shirt per 3.5 minutes. so about 15 shirts an hour - full color.

What this does for me, is it gives me the ability to take one off orders at $25 per. Or small, full color orders at $25/10 shirts.

I have never found a heat transfer that lasted that long. They all seem to fade.

I still screen print, but now I can do small jobs (as in one) really fast. And the cost per shirt is like $.30 of ink. Over the years I have lost so much money on Epson or Brother inkjet printers that jammed - losing me the cost of the transfer paper.

I suspect I've spent way to much time fighting inkjet printers. Now I only have a cannon (not multi-function) for screen positives.

The Ricoh Ri 100 has a small print field, does not do black without a hack, and is not super fast. BUT ... it's super small, under $5k, and prints well. For me, it fills a niche. I have found a way to print on dark shirts, and extend the print area.

For example, I screen print one color as an overall print, then use the Ricoh to print the A4 center area. The overall look is a full color, all over print - with only one screen.

I've also done dress shirts. The printer can do a left chest all day long.

A full color logo on a dress shirt, without any screens, is profitable without any set-up. I can print left-chest logos with each person's name in no extra time. Every shirt get's a custom name.

Overall the Ricoh fits a need for either small jobs or multiple variation jobs (like names or numbers). I think the Ricoh will help me earn more business this year.

For most dark one-offs, I have an OKI 711WT and the forever transfers. About $3 per print and three step process. About the same amount of time. For me, these two printers let me take small jobs at a profit.

One day I may get a DTG that has a larger field and can do black without a hack. The Kornit Breeze is about $40k or so. That's too rich for me right now. But the Ricoh lets me say YES to small jobs on light fabric, and profitably.

1,000 prints of transfer paper for lights might be $500 (paper + ink).
1,000 prints on the Ricoh is $300 and less time for the operator.
That's $200 is savings per 1k prints. So it will take a while to justify a $5k investment.

But with better quality than transfers (in my opinion), I can charge more. So I think I'll see this paid off in a quarter.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I love this printer!

Eric
Thank you great info
question How do you do to be able to print on dark shirt?
do you charge $25 per shirt?

Old April 2nd, 2019 Apr 2, 2019 8:41:29 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward1210
Thank you great info
question How do you do to be able to print on dark shirt?
do you charge $25 per shirt?

Every DTG needs a pre-treatment system to print on dark shirts.
I use one of three methods to print on darks.

My shirt pricing is between $49.95 - $24.95.
I try to say away from the $14.95 market. But for larger orders I might.

Thanks Eric

Old May 6th, 2019 May 6, 2019 12:34:58 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I had a Ricoh Ri 100 DTG and I'm using nearly 3 months. Now I had a Problem it says SC (28112). Do you know what was about it? Thanks

Old May 6th, 2019 May 6, 2019 10:19:39 AM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I contacted Ricoh, should have an answer soon.
Eric

Old May 7th, 2019 May 7, 2019 4:40:33 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxo
I had a Ricoh Ri 100 DTG and I'm using nearly 3 months. Now I had a Problem it says SC (28112). Do you know what was about it? Thanks
I have no answer from Ricoh yet. Did you get one?

On Ricoh Sublimation printers, this code is a leak in the ink line. Not sure if it's the same for the RI 100. Can you check your lines to see if any has become disconnected or if you see a bubble in one of the lines?

Eric

Old May 8th, 2019 May 8, 2019 12:20:29 AM -   #25 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
They sent me a sequence. They did not explain why it's happened.
I attached PDF file as well.
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ricoh SG 3110DN Error 28212.pdf (13.2 KB, 20 views)

Old May 8th, 2019 May 8, 2019 4:56:48 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Wow! OK. I notice that document comes from the 3110DN an inkjet printer for sublimation.

Old May 8th, 2019 May 8, 2019 11:15:21 AM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Got a better answer for you:

1. Turn the main power switch off and then back on.
2. Install the ink cartridge securely.

When the SC occurs at ink initialization:
1. Push the ink cartridge until it is inserted all the way.
2. Close the front right cover, and turn the main power on.
3. The ink initialization restarts.

When the SC occurs after an ink cartridge is replaced (after 20 prints)
1. Push the ink cartridge until it is inserted all the way.
2. Close the front right cover.
3. Do head-flushing for all colors in User Mode

Old May 19th, 2019 May 19, 2019 7:32:18 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

i have always been told that 50 washes is considered "life of the garment" and some screen printers local to me have said "20" i live of the garment..
so if the t fades at 80, that's not too bad. and for things like bags that don't get washed (or as often) the bag will wear out long before the print

Old May 20th, 2019 May 20, 2019 5:15:10 AM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlcnmstr
i have always been told that 50 washes is considered "life of the garment" and some screen printers local to me have said "20" i live of the garment..
so if the t fades at 80, that's not too bad. and for things like bags that don't get washed (or as often) the bag will wear out long before the print
This is actually, not true. Whoever told that to you was just guestimating.

If a fabric is dyed, the print will last the lifetime of the garment.
Waterbased inks and discharge will also last years. Over 80 washes.
Plastisol will last the least, BUT, if done right, will also last over 80 washes.

That said, plastisol and waterbased inks may fade over time, just as the garment will wear, and become thinner.

Heat transfers, fade the fastest. This is why DTG is superior to transfer. But a DTG print will fade on the first wash if not pre-treaded. My Ri100 prints do not fade if I use "vivid" mode. This double prints the image, but the one-wash fade test shows no fade, even on non-pretreated garments.

So there you have my two cents.

Thanks Eric

Old May 20th, 2019 May 20, 2019 6:04:02 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks..
Do you find white with pre-treat about the same as the double print without?
I’m trying to get a handle on all the new stuff... last time I considered dtg was about 7 years ago

This is a discussion about Ricoh Ri 100 DTG $5k that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in