Brother GTX vs Epson 2100 (Which One) - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Brother GTX vs Epson 2100 (Which One)

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 28th, 2018 Mar 28, 2018 7:15:56 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Brother GTX vs Epson 2100 (Which One)

Looking to purchase one of these (since I'm assuming these are the best 2 on the market) as soon as possible. I figure if I gonna invest this much money, that I might as well get the best.

I have read A LOT of reviews stating that the GTX waste tons of white ink and that the ink for this machine is double the cost of ink for other machines. Aside from that I haven't read other compliants.

Are their any other pros/cons I should factor in with either machine? Thank you for any info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2018 Mar 28, 2018 7:52:42 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Ziggy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Brother GTX vs Epson 2100 (Which One)

Okay, so just this morning (noon-ish) I attended an Omniprint webinar. Well, they called it a webinar. It was more like a sales pitch. But anyhow, it looks like the GTX costs $22,000 and the FJ2100 is in the $17,000 range. Can the GTX be $5,000 better?

So far on this site there are a few people with GTXs and only one (I think) with the Epson. The guy with the Epson loves his printer.

Anyhow, other contenders would be the Ricoh 3000 (3 heads) also at around $17K or 6000 (6 heads)--I don't know the price and the Omniprint 330 TX with only one head. Or maybe even the 330 TX Plus which can also print on poly. These two printers are $17K and $22K.

Of course, you may be able to find better prices if you shop around.

The Following User Says Thank You to DrivingZiggy For This Useful Post:
teedizz (March 28th, 2018)
Old March 28th, 2018 Mar 28, 2018 10:10:13 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Truly appreciate it. So can the Epson or Brother print on polo?

Old March 29th, 2018 Mar 29, 2018 7:23:45 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I have been searching which printer to buy for two months. I talked to 5 gtx owners 3 of them recommended the printer. 2 were neutral. those who recommended said "who cares the ink cost, just charge it to the customer" 2 who had no comment on gtx said " about two hundred prints half of the white ink gone" Another gtx owner said soon brother will decrease ink cost and update a new firmware that will eliminate ink waste.

The Following User Says Thank You to learner For This Useful Post:
teedizz (March 29th, 2018)
Old March 29th, 2018 Mar 29, 2018 10:21:22 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Yes, this is a very difficult decision. Lol. I've been reading and reading but don't know of any cons for the Epson as of yet so I guess I'll have to wait for more people to take possession of them.

Old April 18th, 2018 Apr 18, 2018 8:07:54 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedizz
Yes, this is a very difficult decision. Lol. I've been reading and reading but don't know of any cons for the Epson as of yet so I guess I'll have to wait for more people to take possession of them.

The Epson ink also is not cheap but not quite as bad as the insane Brother prices. Personally I would go with the Epson, although I'd wait it out a bit if you can, until there is more real world feedback e.g. for ink wastage. The Brother really only seems to work for limited markets, business models and from the initial frenzy there is a lot of negative feedback coming in now.

Old April 20th, 2018 Apr 20, 2018 5:36:50 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Roger

That would be a game changer if this happens. Hard to believe a company as big as Brother would not make adjustments to make the GTX more attractive to the average t shirt tycoon!

Old July 22nd, 2018 Jul 22, 2018 3:03:41 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I just bought the Epson and awaiting delivery. Sales rep had both the GTX and SC-F2160. Was really only looking at the Brother but the Epson landed as we were negotiating. I studied hard and compared everything and it was all very close but it came down to a few things:
1. Maintenance. Epsons cleaning procedure has way less wastage. Also has a holiday mode so can be shut down.
2. Warranty. 3 year full cover on everything as opposed to 1 year.
3. The Brother is the full on production beast. Faster, slightly, but Epson seemed to be friendlier to the entry level printer.
Im sure there will be different thoughts about my decision but it is what it is and I cant wait to get my hands onto it.

Old July 22nd, 2018 Jul 22, 2018 10:57:11 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocOz
2. Warranty. 3 year full cover on everything as opposed to 1 year.
Are you sure on that? So the printhead is covered for 3 yrs without any extra payments? I was also actually told this by an Epson rep at a trade show, but assumed he'd got it wrong.

Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 3:15:46 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Definitely full warranty!
You pay for the extended warranty to make it 3 years but it still came to the same price as the GTX which only had 1 year.

Old May 24th, 2019 May 24, 2019 6:11:00 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

hey hows it going looking to purchase printer soon hows the epson been treating you

Old June 5th, 2019 Jun 5, 2019 7:25:04 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: BrotherGTPrinters

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipmentzone
Both the Epson F2100 and the Brother GTX can print on polo shirts.

One factor to also consider is that the Brother GTX has to be left on 24/7 and runs an automatic head cleaning every few hours pushing ink through the printhead into waste tank to keep the nozzles from clogging. The Epson F2100 can be completely shut off at the end of a print day. We have left them off for up to 3 weeks without issues.

_
Brother recommends the GTX printer to stay on 24/7 because it allows the printer to circulate the white ink and it reduces the start up time. While it is idle and plugged in, no ink is lost during a white circulation. The printer at the end of production does one cleaning to introduce cleaning solution into the wet cap to allow for the printer to sit idle without use and reduce chances a print head clogs.

Old June 5th, 2019 Jun 5, 2019 8:39:10 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Chris

Crazyteesrva- I tried to message you but your mailbox is full.

Might be time to delete all those mailers & inserts. lol

Old June 5th, 2019 Jun 5, 2019 11:00:48 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I like the Omni 330 +
However, you expressed a great concern for the cost of ink. If this minor element of printing is important to you, I must ask, "Do you have a plan B when the printer you buy is out of commission for a day or two or week?" This MUST be your major concern and most certainly if you intend to purchase only one printer.

In my opinion a lower cost printer that provides redundancy is a smart purchase than a best of class printer on thin ice.

Your question was specifically about the GTX or Epson. Of the two, GTX would be my preference. BUT, before pulling the trigger call their help line. if help is hard to come by, that is the definition of thin ice.

Old June 5th, 2019 Jun 5, 2019 11:04:42 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Chris

Right or wrong, from what I've read I have this vision of the Brother GTX hemorrhaging ink like an SR-71 leaking fuel while sitting on the tarmac, and I think you need to USE that printer to justify its high cost. Do you have the volume?

If not, then the Epson would be a tier down from the GTX. Of course you can't buy parts for the F2100 and after 3 years you have a printer just waiting to become a boat anchor.

You've probably never heard of the Summit AT:
https://www.dtgamerica.com/global-in...ochure-web.pdf

It's based on the Epson P800, you can buy parts and work on it yourself after the 1 year warranty expires and it's been around for several years, first as the Resolute R-Jet5i, now as the SMART Jet, TECH Jet & Summit AT.

They were priced at $13,000, including CADlink RIP, but are going up to $15,000 soon if they haven't already.

At $13,000 I think it compares favorably to the Epson F2100 on sale, but I'm not sure I'd pay $15,000 if the Epson was still on sale.

At $13,000 you could buy two for just a little more than a GTX and a little more + than the Epson and have your redundancy.

This is a discussion about Brother GTX vs Epson 2100 (Which One) that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in