DTG 100% COTTON vs. 50/50 COTTON POLYESTER - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

DTG 100% COTTON vs. 50/50 COTTON POLYESTER

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OSSKOBRET
  • 2 Post By TomNJ

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 20th, 2017 Jan 20, 2017 1:34:07 PM -  
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default DTG 100% COTTON vs. 50/50 COTTON POLYESTER

Hi guys,

Sorry for another thread, but this is in regards to printing on 100% cotton and 50/50 cotton - polyester.

I'm planning on printing on a shirt and hoodie. For the hooded sweatshirt, might be using Gildan 12500.

I've heard that when using DTG you should print on either 100% cotton or 80/20 cotton - polyester to get more color and vibrance.

However, I'm planning on printing on 50/50 due to my liking of a certain blank style.

Is it bad? How is the durability/quality? Does anyone have experience with this?

Can someone please provide me with an example or side by side comparison? I've looked on YouTube and other places, but can't find one.

Sorry for all the questions, but please let me know. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2017 Jan 20, 2017 1:59:42 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Nick
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: DTG 100% COTTON vs. 50/50 COTTON POLYESTER

Anything with polyester is more likely to stain. Polyester itself will melt under the sort of heat that most inks need to cure. One workaround is to press it in intervals, so breaking it up into three or four presses instead of a single one

Old January 20th, 2017 Jan 20, 2017 3:50:12 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Gene

We have been DTG-ing 50/50 for quite a while and they hold up as well as the cotton. Often they have a brighter print. We are also successfully printing on 100% poly and doing wash trials. Bright prints and they are not fading.
So you should have little problem with 50/50. You will need heavy pressure on the 50/50 after hovering for 60-90 seconds, depending on the ink amount. Then apply the heavy pressure. Do not hold down as long as cotton, but do the same time in 2-3 segments.

Old January 20th, 2017 Jan 20, 2017 5:38:21 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Michael C

I can't speak to the the subject of Poly or 50/50 being good for DTG because we just got our machine and we are still experimenting BUT as for what the other guy said about Polyester not standing up to hear... that is completely not true. We have been doing sublimation printing on shirts for years and we put 400 degrees for 45 seconds on those shirts. Far more brutal than DTG. So, I wouldn't worry about the heat on those Poly shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old March 18th, 2017 Mar 18, 2017 9:57:58 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Anna

Question: you said that you have to cure it with heavy pressure, but I've been struggling all day with my 50/50s as the heat (even brought it down from 330f to 270f) lifts the fibers and causes a fiber fluff, almost like white noise, look. Do you have any experience with this? Still have yet to make one 50/50 good enough to sell..

Old March 19th, 2017 Mar 19, 2017 12:21:15 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Bret

I did Dtg for years you do not need heavy pressure to get a good cure you need consistency of heat try letting the heat plate just rest on the garment covering your print first of course and you will notice more of the moisture evaporate from the garment this eliminates fibrillation in most cases if garment is prepared properly to begin with.heavy pressure is great for sublimation not DTG
Staycemm likes this.

Old March 19th, 2017 Mar 19, 2017 10:58:04 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Okay, thought I'd share some of my new discoveries. For 50/50 white shirts, ive found that curing on a low setting (I did 270F) with heavy pressure helps push the fibers down, so there's less filibration, which seemed counter intuitive because hovering actually raised the fibers more. The print still isn't 100% where I want to be, but oh so close!

Old March 19th, 2017 Mar 19, 2017 10:59:04 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

*fibrillation

Old March 22nd, 2017 Mar 22, 2017 9:27:30 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Renee

Color wise for us... if we print on a 100% cotton with white ink the ink is opaque and fully white. When we print on a 50/50 the white looks less bright and sometimes takes on the color of the garment. For instance the Gildan 5000 has 50/50 color such as Antique Royal and Russet. When we DTG print white ink on those colors, the ink tends to take on the color of bluish or brownish. Technically the ink is binding more with the cotton and not so much with the poly.

Also as mentioned above, the shirts tend to discolor when we heat with a heat press. Some colors show more than others. We print on the 18500 Gildan hoodies in black without discoloring them but the print is not as vibrant when compared to a Hanes F170.

Last edited by rklovestruck; March 22nd, 2017 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: miss-spelling

Old March 22nd, 2017 Mar 22, 2017 10:46:53 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

The fact that you took the time to write all of this is amazing, thanks! So aside from color vibrancy, is the ink consistent with your prints as in no holes or cracks? If so, what heat temperature do you use to cure your shirts? Just wondering if there is a more efficient way for me to do this!

Old March 22nd, 2017 Mar 22, 2017 3:12:12 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I came here to say this too. Glad you were able to respond much earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmedia7
I can't speak to the the subject of Poly or 50/50 being good for DTG because we just got our machine and we are still experimenting BUT as for what the other guy said about Polyester not standing up to hear... that is completely not true. We have been doing sublimation printing on shirts for years and we put 400 degrees for 45 seconds on those shirts. Far more brutal than DTG. So, I wouldn't worry about the heat on those Poly shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old November 15th, 2017 Nov 15, 2017 4:41:47 PM -  
Forum Member
T-Shirt Fan

We regularly print on 50/50 sweatshirts & hoodies. Pretreating with Image Armor Ultra for both light and dark seems to work well for us. We lay down white base on most all colors except white. We cure the pretreat for 45 seconds at 330 and print on an Epson F2000. We cure for 90 seconds also at 330 degrees with light pressure. Haven't had any issues and have done wash testing up to 40 cycles with no objectionable issues.

Old January 11th, 2018 Jan 11, 2018 7:54:59 AM -  
puw
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

In looking for info related to this, a more updated explanation of the issue between cotton and poly can be found here Why is Polyester So Hard to Print with DTG? - Image Armor DTG Pretreatment Solutions

This is more for people using fulfillment with large production than DIY I think, since the machinery/technology being used is different.

From what can be seen, the weave of poly doesn't help the ink. It works better with white poly shirts as darker shirt colours affect the ink colours.

So if using DTG, it seems best to stick with as close to 100% cotton as you can, and go for the best quality for the ring-spun's.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Nov 15, 2019 6:08:06 PM -  
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

[QUOTE=TomNJ;4225626]We regularly print on 50/50 sweatshirts & hoodies. Pretreating with Image Armor Ultra for both light and dark seems to work well for us. We lay down white base on most all colors except white. We cure the pretreat for 45 seconds at 330 and print on an Epson F2000. We cure for 90 seconds also at 330 degrees with light pressure. Haven't had any issues and have done wash testing up to 40 cycles with no objectionable issues.[/QUOTE]
Does this prevent dye migration?

Old 2 Weeks Ago Nov 17, 2019 7:46:15 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: AL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Tom, I think you did find something that is blocking the dye migration. 50/50 is distressed dyes and should migrate at 90 seconds.
AL

This is a discussion about DTG 100% COTTON vs. 50/50 COTTON POLYESTER that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in