Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 18th, 2008 Jul 18, 2008 1:21:28 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Chuck
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG

At the risk of sounding awfully naive, is anyone aware of what is in the heavy-duty cleaning fluids sold or recommended by various DTG printer manufacturers?

I am a firm believer in using lots of the stuff daily to keep our print head and capping station super clean. This philosophy has served us well so far. The fluid we use seems to be very effective.

However, it isn't exactly cheap! I was wondering if it's possible to make our own, if the ingredients are readily available. We're using Dupont inks, which necessitate the need to be watchful in keeping the printer components clean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2008 Jul 18, 2008 1:36:27 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Default Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG

There is this stuff - DTG Inks - DTG Clog Protection Solution But this does not go through the print head. It only goes into the capping station. It is too thick to go through the print head I believe.

I know other people have used a special type of Windex or even Simple Green. If you do a search on Windex, you should find a post that tells you the correct one to get as the other type has some stuff that is bad for your printer. I believe Sunnydayz or Mistelwoods was the one that posted it, but I could be wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
Sunro (July 18th, 2008)
Old July 18th, 2008 Jul 18, 2008 2:45:48 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

I've used ammonia diluted with distilled water for capping station cleans.

The Following User Says Thank You to zhenjie For This Useful Post:
Sunro (July 19th, 2008)

Old July 24th, 2008 Jul 24, 2008 1:20:51 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Chuck

I've chatted with a couple of people on the phone about this topic as well, and they recommended a dilute solution of Simple Green, in light of the fact that Windex has changed its formula to include wax. Zhenjie suggests an ammonia/water solution, which would be closer to the original Windex and is likely ok too.

I'm going to grab a small bottle of Simple Green when I get the chance, and try something like a 50-50 mix with distilled water, (or perhaps even weaker than that ... suggestions anyone??)

Thanks to all for contributing their thoughts.

Old July 25th, 2008 Jul 25, 2008 10:37:57 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunro
I've chatted with a couple of people on the phone about this topic as well, and they recommended a dilute solution of Simple Green, in light of the fact that Windex has changed its formula to include wax. Zhenjie suggests an ammonia/water solution, which would be closer to the original Windex and is likely ok too.

I'm going to grab a small bottle of Simple Green when I get the chance, and try something like a 50-50 mix with distilled water, (or perhaps even weaker than that ... suggestions anyone??)

Thanks to all for contributing their thoughts.
To clean capping Ok but head no. A good cleaning flush is not only cleaning the head but also applied a protective film which increase the lifespan of the head.
If You use a small EPSON a USD100 is not so important that a Dupont Textile plotter with head at USD 3000 each
To produce a very good flush You need several components and chemical apparatus like mixer, very precise weight,etc and components are sold by 200kg drum ,so if You buy 10 liters flush/month it's better to follow.
Do not forgot that is hazardous to produce chemical products home and with no chemical notion

Old July 25th, 2008 Jul 25, 2008 11:20:18 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

thanks for the info primjet, but not all of us have $3K printheads, my current whole dtg cost me £75 so im very interested in a homebrew cleaning solution. I have also just bought some simple green, sounds like what i have been looking for, thanks for the tip

Old July 25th, 2008 Jul 25, 2008 11:47:03 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodrisc
thanks for the info primjet, but not all of us have $3K printheads, my current whole dtg cost me £75 so im very interested in a homebrew cleaning solution. I have also just bought some simple green, sounds like what i have been looking for, thanks for the tip
OK but avoid ammoniac in piezo head, better use in place urea

Old July 25th, 2008 Jul 25, 2008 12:05:38 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

funny you should say that but i have been playing about with Thiourea dioxide on a side shoot project, its the same as urea isnt it ? around how many gramms per litre would you recommend ?

Old July 25th, 2008 Jul 25, 2008 12:27:28 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
funny you should say that but i have been playing about with Thiourea dioxide on a side shoot project, its the same as urea isnt it ? around how many gramms per litre would you recommend ?
Oh no, Thiourea dioxide is a dangerous product. Urea is almost harmless.

Old July 25th, 2008 Jul 25, 2008 12:39:53 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Not a lot about 2 to 3% is enough but ask for good urea, fully transparent like water and no strong smell

Old July 25th, 2008 Jul 25, 2008 12:43:10 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

alright excuse my ignorance but isnt plain old urea just pee? are you by chance extracting any from me at the moment or are you seriously suggesting i pee in some distilled water and stick it through my printer ?

**alright i was going to edit this (instant posters regret) but i have to ask lol**

Last edited by sodrisc; July 25th, 2008 at 12:48 PM..

Old July 26th, 2008 Jul 26, 2008 4:12:53 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
alright excuse my ignorance but isnt plain old urea just pee? are you by chance extracting any from me at the moment or are you seriously suggesting i pee in some distilled water and stick it through my printer ?

**alright i was going to edit this (instant posters regret) but i have to ask lol**
You can find several kinds of urea
click for details

Search for: UREA IUPAC Nameurea CAS Number57-13-6 Chemical FormulaCH4N2O
UREA, Urea (8CI,9CI), Urea (JP14/USP), Urea ammonium nitrate solution, Urea perhydrate, Urea solution, Urea [JAN], Urea, homopolymer, Urea-13C, Ureacin-10 lotion, Ureacin-20, Ureacin-40 Creme, Ureaphil, Ureophil, Urepeal, Urepeal L, Urepearl, Urevert, Varioform II
What You need is not the urea used as fertilizer but a liquid urea which is transparent like water

Old July 26th, 2008 Jul 26, 2008 4:29:13 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

HD Cleaner from american supply in my capping station keeps things tidy

Old July 26th, 2008 Jul 26, 2008 6:22:26 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIMJET
You can find several kinds of urea

click for details

Search for: UREA IUPAC Nameurea CAS Number57-13-6 Chemical FormulaCH4N2O
UREA, Urea (8CI,9CI), Urea (JP14/USP), Urea ammonium nitrate solution, Urea perhydrate, Urea solution, Urea [JAN], Urea, homopolymer, Urea-13C, Ureacin-10 lotion, Ureacin-20, Ureacin-40 Creme, Ureaphil, Ureophil, Urepeal, Urepeal L, Urepearl, Urevert, Varioform II
What You need is not the urea used as fertilizer but a liquid urea which is transparent like water
i realised my error soon after posting and checking wiki, it was just your comment about clear and cloudy, smelly, i wasnt sure if you meant the commercial stuff or the difference between a early morning or just drunk lots of water pee, thansk for clearing that up

The Following User Says Thank You to sodrisc For This Useful Post:
alexchavel (August 16th, 2014)
Old August 8th, 2008 Aug 8, 2008 1:42:39 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

i have been using simple green for the last week to clean the head/capping station etc.... it works very well, im using 20ml of undiluted simple green per 500ml of distilled water, any more than that tends to froth to much for my liking while cleaning.

This is a discussion about Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in