T-Shirt Forums

T-Shirt Forums (https://www.t-shirtforums.com/)
-   Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing (https://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-garment-dtg-inkjet-printing/)
-   -   Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG (https://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-garment-dtg-inkjet-printing/t54811.html)

Sunro July 18th, 2008 01:21 PM

Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
At the risk of sounding awfully naive, is anyone aware of what is in the heavy-duty cleaning fluids sold or recommended by various DTG printer manufacturers?

I am a firm believer in using lots of the stuff daily to keep our print head and capping station super clean. This philosophy has served us well so far. The fluid we use seems to be very effective.

However, it isn't exactly cheap! I was wondering if it's possible to make our own, if the ingredients are readily available. We're using Dupont inks, which necessitate the need to be watchful in keeping the printer components clean.

DAGuide July 18th, 2008 01:36 PM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
There is this stuff - DTG Inks - DTG Clog Protection Solution But this does not go through the print head. It only goes into the capping station. It is too thick to go through the print head I believe.

I know other people have used a special type of Windex or even Simple Green. If you do a search on Windex, you should find a post that tells you the correct one to get as the other type has some stuff that is bad for your printer. I believe Sunnydayz or Mistelwoods was the one that posted it, but I could be wrong.

zhenjie July 18th, 2008 02:45 PM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
I've used ammonia diluted with distilled water for capping station cleans.

Sunro July 24th, 2008 01:20 PM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
I've chatted with a couple of people on the phone about this topic as well, and they recommended a dilute solution of Simple Green, in light of the fact that Windex has changed its formula to include wax. Zhenjie suggests an ammonia/water solution, which would be closer to the original Windex and is likely ok too.

I'm going to grab a small bottle of Simple Green when I get the chance, and try something like a 50-50 mix with distilled water, (or perhaps even weaker than that ... suggestions anyone??)

Thanks to all for contributing their thoughts.

PRIMJET July 25th, 2008 10:37 AM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunro (Post 329864)
I've chatted with a couple of people on the phone about this topic as well, and they recommended a dilute solution of Simple Green, in light of the fact that Windex has changed its formula to include wax. Zhenjie suggests an ammonia/water solution, which would be closer to the original Windex and is likely ok too.

I'm going to grab a small bottle of Simple Green when I get the chance, and try something like a 50-50 mix with distilled water, (or perhaps even weaker than that ... suggestions anyone??)

Thanks to all for contributing their thoughts.

To clean capping Ok but head no. A good cleaning flush is not only cleaning the head but also applied a protective film which increase the lifespan of the head.
If You use a small EPSON a USD100 is not so important that a Dupont Textile plotter with head at USD 3000 each
To produce a very good flush You need several components and chemical apparatus like mixer, very precise weight,etc and components are sold by 200kg drum ,so if You buy 10 liters flush/month it's better to follow.
Do not forgot that is hazardous to produce chemical products home and with no chemical notion

sodrisc July 25th, 2008 11:20 AM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
thanks for the info primjet, but not all of us have $3K printheads, my current whole dtg cost me 75 so im very interested in a homebrew cleaning solution. I have also just bought some simple green, sounds like what i have been looking for, thanks for the tip :)

PRIMJET July 25th, 2008 11:47 AM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sodrisc (Post 330665)
thanks for the info primjet, but not all of us have $3K printheads, my current whole dtg cost me 75 so im very interested in a homebrew cleaning solution. I have also just bought some simple green, sounds like what i have been looking for, thanks for the tip :)

OK but avoid ammoniac in piezo head, better use in place urea

sodrisc July 25th, 2008 12:05 PM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
funny you should say that but i have been playing about with Thiourea dioxide on a side shoot project, its the same as urea isnt it ? around how many gramms per litre would you recommend ?

Naga July 25th, 2008 12:27 PM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sodrisc (Post 330706)
funny you should say that but i have been playing about with Thiourea dioxide on a side shoot project, its the same as urea isnt it ? around how many gramms per litre would you recommend ?

Oh no, Thiourea dioxide is a dangerous product. Urea is almost harmless.

PRIMJET July 25th, 2008 12:39 PM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sodrisc (Post 330706)
funny you should say that but i have been playing about with Thiourea dioxide on a side shoot project, its the same as urea isnt it ? around how many gramms per litre would you recommend ?

Not a lot about 2 to 3% is enough but ask for good urea, fully transparent like water and no strong smell

sodrisc July 25th, 2008 12:43 PM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
alright excuse my ignorance but isnt plain old urea just pee? are you by chance extracting any from me at the moment or are you seriously suggesting i pee in some distilled water and stick it through my printer ?

**alright i was going to edit this (instant posters regret) but i have to ask lol**

PRIMJET July 26th, 2008 04:12 AM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sodrisc (Post 330736)
alright excuse my ignorance but isnt plain old urea just pee? are you by chance extracting any from me at the moment or are you seriously suggesting i pee in some distilled water and stick it through my printer ?

**alright i was going to edit this (instant posters regret) but i have to ask lol**

You can find several kinds of urea
http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/imag....fcgi?cid=1176
click for details
http://www.chemindustry.com/images/g...rent_pixel.gif
Search for: UREA IUPAC Nameurea CAS Number57-13-6 Chemical FormulaCH4N2O http://www.chemindustry.com/images/g...rent_pixel.gif
UREA, Urea (8CI,9CI), Urea (JP14/USP), Urea ammonium nitrate solution, Urea perhydrate, Urea solution, Urea [JAN], Urea, homopolymer, Urea-13C, Ureacin-10 lotion, Ureacin-20, Ureacin-40 Creme, Ureaphil, Ureophil, Urepeal, Urepeal L, Urepearl, Urevert, Varioform II
What You need is not the urea used as fertilizer but a liquid urea which is transparent like water

TJet3Pro July 26th, 2008 04:29 AM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
HD Cleaner from american supply in my capping station keeps things tidy :)

sodrisc July 26th, 2008 06:22 AM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PRIMJET (Post 331140)
You can find several kinds of urea

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/imag....fcgi?cid=1176
click for details

http://www.chemindustry.com/images/g...rent_pixel.gif
Search for: UREA IUPAC Nameurea CAS Number57-13-6 Chemical FormulaCH4N2O http://www.chemindustry.com/images/g...rent_pixel.gif
UREA, Urea (8CI,9CI), Urea (JP14/USP), Urea ammonium nitrate solution, Urea perhydrate, Urea solution, Urea [JAN], Urea, homopolymer, Urea-13C, Ureacin-10 lotion, Ureacin-20, Ureacin-40 Creme, Ureaphil, Ureophil, Urepeal, Urepeal L, Urepearl, Urevert, Varioform II
What You need is not the urea used as fertilizer but a liquid urea which is transparent like water

i realised my error soon after posting and checking wiki, it was just your comment about clear and cloudy, smelly, i wasnt sure if you meant the commercial stuff or the difference between a early morning or just drunk lots of water pee, thansk for clearing that up :)

sodrisc August 8th, 2008 01:42 AM

Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG
 
i have been using simple green for the last week to clean the head/capping station etc.... it works very well, im using 20ml of undiluted simple green per 500ml of distilled water, any more than that tends to froth to much for my liking while cleaning.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:36 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 T-ShirtForums.com. All rights reserved.