Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 9th, 2008 Aug 9, 2008 3:12:12 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Chuck
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodrisc
i have been using simple green for the last week to clean the head/capping station etc.... it works very well, im using 20ml of undiluted simple green per 500ml of distilled water, any more than that tends to froth to much for my liking while cleaning.
This has become a rather interesting thread (peeing on the printhead notwithstanding ). Have you observed any negative side effects of Simple Green yet?

I have been looking at the various products offered by the makers of Simple Green, and the ones that seem most interesting are the variants made for pressure washing. They are listed as non-corrosive and non-acidic, two properties I would think are important when using to clean a print head.

The 20ml/500ml dilution would indicate it is enormously cheaper than HD Cleaner but I wonder if it would be harmful if used to power clean a 4880, not just clean the capping station and outside of the head?

The 'Aircraft' version of Simple Green is designed for use where it can come in contact with rubber, vinyl and metal items, but I haven't found a local supplier.

Under normal domestic use, it is necessary to rinse the stuff away after cleaning, so I wonder if there might be a build-up of cleaner residue after a while? Of course, the same might be true of HD Cleaner too. What none of us likely knows is whether or not there is any chemical interaction between Simple Green and ink components that might cause trouble in the long term.

Does anyone know what is in these various versions of the product? The only info I have found simply states it's non-toxic and biodegradable. Curious minds want to know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2008 Aug 9, 2008 4:21:56 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Did a little more reading, and something important came to light ... the standard household version of Simple Green should not be used on aluminum surfaces.

Although I expect that any aluminum parts in the ink delivery chain of a DTG printer are anodized for protection against water damage, this caution bears watching. The 'Aircraft' version most likely avoids this issue (of course!).

For that matter, are there any aluminum components in an Epson ink system?

Old August 9th, 2008 Aug 9, 2008 4:41:13 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

thats a little worrying...... but since i have been using simple green to clean the head/capping station i havent had to run cleans of cleaning fluid in the carts at all yet, i do run a couple of head cleans after application so i guess thats getting rid of any excess left on there ?

Old August 10th, 2008 Aug 10, 2008 1:13:39 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodrisc
thats a little worrying......
Yes, that's why I'd like to locate some of the 'Aircraft' grade Simple Green, because it should be formulated to not affect aluminum. I'm not certain that the advertised 'non-corrosive' and 'non-acidic' properties of the 'Pressure Wash' variants would qualify, so I need to dig a bit further.

With regard to our cleaning schedule (BlazerPro) we religiously clean the heads at least twice per day, even on days we don't do any printing. On days when we do a lot of printing, the capping station is cleaned at least once partway thru the day. We have found that anything less can occasionally lead to clogged nozzles simply because the head tends to dry out a bit despite a good capping station seal. Our little print shop has tightly controlled temperature and humidity, which should help (and it makes working there quite pleasant).

In another thread, I mentioned that we were having real problems with possibly non-genuine or old white ink, and it has taken a significant amount of time for this to clear up. We are going to be much more careful in that regard as well. I'm hoping that a diluted Simple Green solution could be a decent but less expensive 'de-clogger' for situations like that.

Old December 29th, 2008 Dec 29, 2008 12:38:58 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Jason

Thumbs up Re: Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG

I found a source for good "aircraft" grade simple green.

and I converted the ounces in relation to the mix that was suggested earlier in this thread.

.68 oz of simple green to 17 oz of distilled water.

OR

.8 oz of simple green to 20 oz of distilled water. (Soda bottle)

Basically a 1/25 ratio per ounce.

I hope this helps. I am eager to try this verses the $80 for 1 liter.

Old December 29th, 2008 Dec 29, 2008 12:55:03 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for the link to the Simple Green reseller. Too bad I can't easily get the stuff shipped into Canada (shipping costs more than the product, and liquids can be problematic unless really well packed).

In the mean time, we have discovered that the latest batch of HD cleaner from US Screen seems different ... rather oily and thick, and it foams easily. In conversation with the support folks, it was suggested that we dilute the HD fluid 30% with distilled water and add a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to increase its effectiveness. So far this has not caused any problems, although its tendency to foam up is a bit annoying.

Old December 29th, 2008 Dec 29, 2008 3:22:09 PM -   #22 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

I did also notice that the cleaning solution that Mesa now sells for the dtg's, the pink stuff, is really foamy. I am not sure what is up with that, but it really foams alot. When they had the clear cleaner, it never foamed.

Old January 24th, 2011 Jan 24, 2011 11:23:36 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

So, here we are, 2 years on from the last post in the discussion on Simple Green.

Any conclusions? Does anyone use this for cleaning DTG lines & prinheads? If so, what's your mixture?

John

Old January 24th, 2011 Jan 24, 2011 12:23:16 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

It's interesting this thread should wake up again 2 years later.

We have continued to use the expensive HD cleaner because there are too many unanswered questions regarding SimpleGreen to risk damaging our printer.

We stopped adding isopropyl alcohol to the mixture because there have been suggestions elsewhere that it can damage the rubber seal on the capping station. We have no proof of this, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

We still religiously clean the head and capping station seal often during a busy day, and at least once per day when not printing (including weekends). Lately business has been quite good, so keeping the printer busy and clean is paying off. Over the past 3+ years we have found that the harder you work the Blazer, the better it performs. Part of that may be due to serious attention to maintenance and cleanliness.

Now, if only someone would come up with a good bagged-ink conversion kit (Mod-1 style) for the 4880, we'd be in even better shape.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunro For This Useful Post:
FatKat Printz (January 24th, 2011), Rodney (January 25th, 2011)
Old January 24th, 2011 Jan 24, 2011 12:51:36 PM -   #25 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I'm certain there's an alternative we could mix ourselves and save a substantial amount of do$h.

When I purchased my Neoflex system I also purchased a Jet Genie Inkjet Head Cleaner - a bit of insurance against the inevitable ink clogs. However, I have to say I've not experienced any clogging.

I received an email from the inventor of the Jet Genie today when I suggested creating a cleaning mix including isopropanol. This is his reply:

"
DO NOT use alcohol!!!! You’ll ruin the print head AND the Jet Genie"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stitch-Up For This Useful Post:
Rodney (January 25th, 2011), Sunro (January 24th, 2011)
Old January 24th, 2011 Jan 24, 2011 2:37:13 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

THANKS FOR YOUR POSTING!

You have confirmed what others have suggested could be a problem. Luckily our only use of isopropanol was a *very* low percentage of the mixture, and we stopped using it months ago, so it would appear we've dodged a bullet.

Which makes me wonder ... does SimpleGreen contain even small amounts of alcohol? And is it made with either distilled or ultra-filtered water? Tiny insoluble particulates in any cleaning solution could conceivably lodge in the nozzles.

And forget about the suggestion made some time ago of using Windex ... it's very alkaline and contains a wax to make surfaces look shiny. Just lovely.

Old January 24th, 2011 Jan 24, 2011 4:45:54 PM -   #27 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 1,263 Times in 1,033 Posts

DTGInks.com sells CPS, Clog Protection Solution, for the capping station. We use it on our DTG Kiosk II and our 1280 dyesub.

The Following User Says Thank You to binki For This Useful Post:
Rodney (January 25th, 2011)
Old January 25th, 2011 Jan 25, 2011 9:24:33 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

We no longer use Simple Green, it delaminated a few of our print heads after continuous use.

What to use really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are looking for a cleaning for the capping station, wiper blade etc, then it really doesn't matter what you use as long as you clean the area daily. You can use windex, pure amonia, a combo of the two, or cut with distilled water.

If you are leaving fluid in the capping station, use the Dupont Flushing solution in your capping station as opposed to windex, ammonia or simple green.
A few of my print heads became delaminated using simple green, and ammonia based cleaners can do the same.

When using Bagged ink from Belquette, we found we don't even have to let the print head 'soak' overnight in the capping station anymore. We just clean it down with windex and when the print head is docked, turn the printer off. No auto-head cleans needed so it saves on waste ink as well.
Our humidity is on average 30% and the Belquette bags still perform amazing. Even leaving it for an entire weekend sitting in a dry but clean capping station will be ok.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TahoeTomahawk For This Useful Post:
Rodney (January 25th, 2011), Sunro (January 25th, 2011)
Old January 25th, 2011 Jan 25, 2011 12:29:35 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Good info ... thanks!! Now I'm glad we didn't try SimpleGreen or an ammonia solution.

All we need is a reliable conversion kit for Belquette bagged ink on a 4880 and we're golden

Old September 2nd, 2011 Sep 2, 2011 10:13:19 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: TM

Can you tell the process how to use the DTG Clog Protection Solution...there arent any procedures on how to use it and I can't seem to get an answer...

This is a discussion about Heavy-Duty Cleaning Fluid for DTG that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in