Before you get into DTG, things you need to know - Page 9 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Before you get into DTG, things you need to know

Like Tree24Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 28th, 2014 Oct 28, 2014 10:56:17 PM -   #121 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Before you get into DTG, things you need to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betoris
Hi everyone!

This forum has been a great deal of help, I am starting a T-shirt business in Brazil where I currently live. If anyone could help me out with some questions I still have:

1. Preparing the garment. I have seen the outcome of the T-shirt (100% cotton) after receiving the pre-treatment (so the ink "holds" on better) and direct print...it simply hardens the garment, requiring -somehow- a previous wash before wearing it. Do all pretreatments harden the cloth like this? Do retailers simply sell this way and let customers wash and then wear? Or am I getting something wrong? Because, as far as I have read, you could perfectly "do without" the pre-treament on light colors, but the durability of the image isn't as good. Correct?

2. Brazil is a humid place, tropical weather year round...does this affect the printer in any way? Or is dry air the only issue?

Thanks for the help!
Hi friend,

1. Pretreatment does affect the garment in someway. It does make it does look like it requires wash. but i dont think you need to do that, because it will go away by itself. If you show your product right after you print it, then the customer will ask some questions and you need to do some explainings.
Pretreatment makes the prints look better but not necessary. but you must make sure to use Light Garment pretreatment.

2. we live in the same hemisphere, my country (indonesia) is also very humid all year round. Make sure you buy a humidity monitor to control the humidity level of your working area.

I left DTG 2 years ago. but hopefully, it helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2014 Oct 29, 2014 12:01:28 AM -   #122 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betoris
Hi everyone!

This forum has been a great deal of help, I am starting a T-shirt business in Brazil where I currently live. If anyone could help me out with some questions I still have:

1. Preparing the garment. I have seen the outcome of the T-shirt (100% cotton) after receiving the pre-treatment (so the ink "holds" on better) and direct print...it simply hardens the garment, requiring -somehow- a previous wash before wearing it. Do all pretreatments harden the cloth like this? Do retailers simply sell this way and let customers wash and then wear? Or am I getting something wrong? Because, as far as I have read, you could perfectly "do without" the pre-treament on light colors, but the durability of the image isn't as good. Correct?

2. Brazil is a humid place, tropical weather year round...does this affect the printer in any way? Or is dry air the only issue?

Thanks for the help!
Pretreating is crucial, in my opinon, even for white shirts. Without it the ink doesn't look as bright and the image isn't as sharp... and the washability is very iffy without it (the images fade rapidly with repeat washings... and I mean 2 or 3, not dozens)... I'm fairly new to the biz and for months I thought these problems were something I was doing wrong since I was told no pretreat was necessary for light shirts (unless you were printing white ink), then I found Image Armor light pretreat and it was like a lightbulb turning on! (The one drawback was that you can't air-dry the Image Armor pretreated shirts and you have to heat press them dry, which is hugely time-consuming and inconvenient... but, again, I thought the results were worth it.)

I had never really had much of a problem with dark shirts and how they looked because, of course, I always knew to pretreat them. Just remember that the light shirt pretreat is different than the dark shirt pretreat and, frankly, as much as I love the results, it's a pain in the butt and a major time suck to pretreat every shirt AND to have to keep switching the pretreat in my sprayer.

But just this week a new universal pretreat has come on the market by a company called Firebird that works for either light OR dark shirts... and you use it whether you are printing with white ink or not to enhance your images. Even more remarkable, this new pretreat works on both polyester blends AND 100% polyester (they say it will even print white ink on poly blend dark shirts!). YAY, no more switching pretreats all the time!

I haven't used this new pretreat yet, but I've heard from sources I trust that it is excellent!

BTW, after I pretreat shirts I do not wash them to get rid of the stiffness (and I doubt anyone does), but I do mention that I've used a pretreat and that the stiffness will go away after the first time it's washed. I let then know it will extend the life of the image and make it sound like a bonus I'm throwing in.

Regarding humidity... I live in a fairly humid area too, but still have to use a humidifier to keep it above 55% (usually 65-70%) and I've never had any issues with the machine because of it... but I do have to heat press the shirts for 20 seconds or so just before I print on them to make sure there is no moisture in the fabric.

Old October 29th, 2014 Oct 29, 2014 7:01:25 AM -   #123 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsales
The cost to print a shirt remains fairly constant, whether you print 1 or 1,000 of the same design, so you really can't offer much of a quantity discount on larger orders...possibility consider using traditional screen-printing for big orders.
Make sure you get the correct price for your work to cover your ROI (return on investment).
Also most models need to be in a climate controlled environment.
Also need a separate area for pretreatment, and if not done correctly, can cause print quality issues.
Need to have a separate, dedicated electric circuit.
Most all the models using white ink will need DAILY maintenance; if not done correctly you'll have head clogs & other print issues.
Don't be the first to purchase the "new" model; wait a bit & see how this model works out.
Understand that this industry is changing rapidly; the machine model you purchase today will probably be out of production within 1-2 years, and parts availability may become an issue.
Most models have the ability to print other items, such as coasters, mouse pads, etc.
DTG in NOT a replacement for traditional screen printing.
Take the time to read thru the threads on this forum; there's lot's of really good info on most of the popular mfgs, both good & bad; go to a show & see them in action before making a purchase.
I'm sure there's more......
I think that a good point to consider..thanks pals for that enlighting ideas that helps.

Old May 7th, 2015 May 7, 2015 12:48:15 PM -   #124 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Tim

Thank you for a very open and informative thread. Great to have users give their experience with honest and open minds. Living in South Africa I suppose is ideal from a humidity and weather point of view. I have been watching the dtg industry with interest. One of my concerns regarding dtg is the voltage. Ours here is 220V. and I think the voltage in the States is 110v, so I would need a transformer should I venture into the kaleidescope of American made dtg. I think barring a few makes, most newer printers are much of a muchness. The difference would be the support that printer has in a specific area. And that would be another concern. What kind of support can one expect in another continent (another planet almost) and another time zone

Old August 20th, 2015 Aug 20, 2015 3:43:38 AM -   #125 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: dario

Hello,
I tested the firebird FBX100, thought that would be my salvation in ahorrao much money and time to change the fluid in my sprayer, but with my experience has not been good in black shirts all ok, but in the white shirts there is a problem, if you give them the sun before his first washed out yellow spots all over the shirt, anyone else have this problem?

Old August 27th, 2015 Aug 27, 2015 9:16:05 PM -   #126 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Anthony Bruce Creek
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowtsof
Hello,
I tested the firebird FBX100, thought that would be my salvation in ahorrao much money and time to change the fluid in my sprayer, but with my experience has not been good in black shirts all ok, but in the white shirts there is a problem, if you give them the sun before his first washed out yellow spots all over the shirt, anyone else have this problem?
What printer do you have Dario and have you tried any other brand of Pretreat?

Old August 28th, 2015 Aug 28, 2015 1:25:34 AM -   #127 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: dario

I have the kiosk 3,i am in Europe and I use is called pretreated FATBRIGHT but is very expensive and not just behave well in the wash, which pretreated recommend?

Old August 28th, 2015 Aug 28, 2015 8:05:36 AM -   #128 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Anthony Bruce Creek
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

There's other pretreatments out there like Image Armor and DuPont. PM me if you are interested in concentrated forms

This is a discussion about Before you get into DTG, things you need to know that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in