Before you get into DTG, things you need to know - Page 8 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Before you get into DTG, things you need to know

Like Tree24Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 19th, 2013 Jun 19, 2013 7:09:44 PM -   #106 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,073 Times in 920 Posts

Default Re: Before you get into DTG, things you need to know

Kevin gave you a great breakdown, Have some of your designs printed up by an outside printing company and see how sales go for 2 or 3 months. Once you have an idea of what you might expect in monthly sales you can then plug in the numbers and see if you have the profit potential to make money with your own printer.

_

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2013 Sep 6, 2013 9:50:54 AM -   #107 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Ed & Ryan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Great thread.

Old November 30th, 2013 Nov 30, 2013 5:09:46 AM -   #108 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Alistair

Great thread

Old December 6th, 2013 Dec 6, 2013 2:37:52 AM -   #109 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,073 Times in 920 Posts

The more you know before going in to this greatly increases your ability of being successful with it.

_
jgabby likes this.

Old May 23rd, 2014 May 23, 2014 2:38:46 PM -   #110 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Subcontracting the jobs to others until you have steady flow of business. Most of my customers having DTG printer problem is lack of usage.

Old June 4th, 2014 Jun 4, 2014 9:12:18 AM -   #111 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB
You say do your homework...Where do you look for that homework? The more I read the more confused I get. I do small jobs and want to trade my screen print machine in for a DTG printer so I can offer more options and 1 ups but I am confused on which one to buy.
BSB,

Here an honest opinion and you might need to answer first prior to looking into DTG. If you are prepared to do daily maintenance, getting problems daily or on a weekly basis and it is something you would like to reduce as part of your operation? You might not be ready for a DTG. Does a DTG work well when working? The answer is yes. Does it cover areas I would not do in screen printing or heat transfer? The answer is yes. Will it take time for maintenance, troubleshooting and learning something new in the DTG behavior, likes and dislikes? The answer is yes. Does the environment have to be controlled? The answer is yes.

So, if you are still ok with what's ahead of you base on the questions, then go and spend the money.

Lastly, does it take time to prep garment prior to printing? The answer is yes. Are you limited on the type of garment to print on? The answer is yes unless you have the correct pallets to use and have tested many kinds of garments, the right pretreat prep and amount, pressing time, etc. Would you need time to create profiles, template layouts, etc? The answer is yes other than what the manufacturer have already provided. Will you be spending money on both actual testing and learning? The answer is yes. Will you be spending money when the machine has issues and just takes a dump in between production, the answer is yes. Does the manufacturer have documentation on lots of the quirkiness of DTG? Probably not.

DTG is a hybrid machine that is desk jet type, which has its own issues, then put together inks that has to be maintained a certain way, and a machine that is either new engineering or repurposed, plus all the other extras you have to do on the garment then thrown in a bowl and mixed. This what you would expect.

I guess this is base on a mid level DTG. Not sure how the higher end or lower end DTG is. I would like to get my hands on those for testing as well as pretreat machines.

You can send test print to all the DTG companies and you probably get great samples. You can even read awesome DTG specs as far as speed, etc. You can even go to all the shows and see it for yourself how well it prints and you will be amazed. But if you are not comfortable with the questions I asked, you may not be ready for DTG.

Do I like our machine? The answer is yes. Does it print well. The answer is yes and it is awesome! Do I wish I had time testing a machine prior to spending a large sum of money or interviewed someone who will provide a real honest opinion and experience instead of just reading from the web or viewing it from shows? The answer is yes. Because all of those you only see the front side of the machine. Once you own one then you see what goes on behind the scene. Do I have to remind myself on what to expect from the machine and where DTG is today now that we own one. The answer is yes. If I don't, I will take the machine and drop it from the tallest building.

If there is a way for you to try pretreatment manually prior to experience it, you should.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Print1Shirt For This Useful Post:
Smalzstein (June 4th, 2014), soldier king (April 17th, 2015)
Old June 4th, 2014 Jun 4, 2014 9:33:58 AM -   #112 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Well said. I totally agreed.

Old June 16th, 2014 Jun 16, 2014 7:07:39 PM -   #113 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Reading this thread was like attending my first Fight Club meeting which, according to the rules of Fight Club, I should not be talking about lol. Got punched in the face with all the information but at the end I needed it.

Thank you once again for this thread. Glad it was created. I was looking for the "hidden" costs of DTG and found more than I expected. I am glad I did. Never knew I would need a hygrometer or even a humidifier. Time to read some more lol.

Last edited by Diligence; June 16th, 2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old June 16th, 2014 Jun 16, 2014 9:20:37 PM -   #114 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,048 Posts

I started this in 2008, glad to see it is still alive. While we had our problems with DTG and eventually sold the machine after 5 years of constant use I can say that on light garments we always made money, not so much on darks but we did get some amazing prints. I am actually wearing one now that still looks pretty good.

While we have watched the advancements in the industry and think they are great it just isn't for us today. We have replaced it with a Versacamm which works pretty well for our market which is mostly sports teams and one-offs.
Diligence likes this.

Old June 17th, 2014 Jun 17, 2014 3:34:11 PM -   #115 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for responding. I really do appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking what were exact reasons you decided to leave the DTG behind? Was it just too troublesome or did it just not fit your business model?

Old June 17th, 2014 Jun 17, 2014 4:10:52 PM -   #116 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

Well things have changed so much in just the last year. New pretreatment without window of application.wash durability is great, new printers with very little or virtually no clogging issues, ink prices at all time low.
Diligence likes this.

Old June 17th, 2014 Jun 17, 2014 5:27:26 PM -   #117 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx1
Well things have changed so much in just the last year. New pretreatment without window of application.wash durability is great, new printers with very little or virtually no clogging issues, ink prices at all time low.
That is encouraging to hear. Should I search throughout the forums for information on these advancements or is there a industry magazine or website I can read. I am also starting to research which DTG printer I should get right now.

Old June 17th, 2014 Jun 17, 2014 5:53:36 PM -   #118 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Go to the trade show like SGIA. or regional shows like ISS. You will find lots of new idea and products.
Diligence likes this.

Old June 17th, 2014 Jun 17, 2014 8:41:19 PM -   #119 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,048 Posts

Our market pretty much changed. We do a lot of sports teams and leagues so the Versacamm is a better option for us. We still do t's with it but our main T market is women so that is mostly rhinestones and glitter vinyl.
Diligence likes this.

Old October 28th, 2014 Oct 28, 2014 11:40:11 AM -   #120 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi everyone!

This forum has been a great deal of help, I am starting a T-shirt business in Brazil where I currently live. If anyone could help me out with some questions I still have:

1. Preparing the garment. I have seen the outcome of the T-shirt (100% cotton) after receiving the pre-treatment (so the ink "holds" on better) and direct print...it simply hardens the garment, requiring -somehow- a previous wash before wearing it. Do all pretreatments harden the cloth like this? Do retailers simply sell this way and let customers wash and then wear? Or am I getting something wrong? Because, as far as I have read, you could perfectly "do without" the pre-treament on light colors, but the durability of the image isn't as good. Correct?

2. Brazil is a humid place, tropical weather year round...does this affect the printer in any way? Or is dry air the only issue?

Thanks for the help!

This is a discussion about Before you get into DTG, things you need to know that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in