Before you get into DTG, things you need to know - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Before you get into DTG, things you need to know

Like Tree24Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 8:36:03 AM -   #61 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Default Re: Before you get into DTG, things you need to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx1
You really can only get about 8-10 shirts per hour on a dtg a few more if white shirt no white ink.
It depends on the machine. I just did 35 shirts, the image was 8.5"x15" on dark and I averaged 15 per hour.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 8:39:57 AM -   #62 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instacopy
Great information! That is exactly what I was looking for!

I have read a lot about this process requiring pretreatment with DTG, but the 2 machines that we have looked at in detail (Anajet and Neoflex) seem to mention that no pretreatment is required.

What exactly is pretreatment and why (or why not) would it be required?
Every DTG machine needs pretreatment for white ink. You have to spray the pretreatment on the garment in order for the white ink to sit on top of the fabric instead of absorbing into it. It also binds the white ink together so you have to use a pretreatment that is compatible with your ink.

Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 8:43:26 AM -   #63 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Great information! That is exactly what I was looking for!

I have read a lot about this process requiring pretreatment with DTG, but the 2 machines that we have looked at in detail (Anajet and Neoflex) seem to mention that no pretreatment is required.

What exactly is pretreatment and why (or why not) would it be required?
You will always have to pretreat if printing white ink on a shirt, which is required for darker shirts to have colors on them. (Kornits for example however, do print the pretreat themselves). Some machines that do not print white ink advertise that you can print on grey, yellow, light blue, light pink shirts, etc. We have tried this, but found the colors do not look vibrant, and printing a light white underbase significantly improves vividness.

Some also pretreat white shirts with a special pretreat to get the colors to last through more washes.

But, pretreating is a very important part of printing on shirts, and also the most challenging, which is why there are many printers out there who will only use white shirts to keep from this challenge. As a company having success with pretreating and using white ink, we have gathered referral business from those who don't use it.

Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 8:53:03 AM -   #64 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jon

Is pretreatment something that the printer lays down?

Or is it done by hand from a spray bottle, or?

Is it visible after the image is cured?

Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 9:03:44 AM -   #65 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Is pretreatment something that the printer lays down?
Not unless you buy a Kornit

Or is it done by hand from a spray bottle, or?
Usually done by one of two ways:
1) Paint sprayer by hand. You have to practice and test wash shirts to be sure you are laying down the right amount.
2) Pretreat machine, usually available for $4-5,000
Some people do use other methods such as a spray bottle or a paint roller, and some do the roller or brush in addition to a paint sprayer.

Is it visible after the image is cured?
The goal is invisible.... If it is visible, you did it wrong (either too much pretreat, or too much heat).

Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 9:45:21 AM -   #66 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
In my opinion, all the dtg manufacturers / distributors need to do a better job explain the steps in detail to pretreating before the purchase. This is why I recommend people interested in dtg printing to go a training class (even if you have to pay for it) before making a purchase. As mentioned by QuadGear, there are too many people that get sucked into the belief that they have to print white ink... but don't realize what the pretreating part (which is a major part) entails and all the other factors that go into white ink printing. Coming from someone that does plenty of trade shows, it is not always as easy as it looks when you get it back into your shop.

Just my opinion,

Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
soldier king (April 17th, 2015)
Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 10:59:57 AM -   #67 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeridHill
It depends on the machine. I just did 35 shirts, the image was 8.5"x15" on dark and I averaged 15 per hour.
Thats smoking Jerid!! 3 min for white and cmyk. Loading and unloading on 1 machine. You doing 720x720 both underbase and color??
The Mod 1 is awesome. Thats the one I would love to have.

Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 11:26:47 AM -   #68 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGuide
In my opinion, all the dtg manufacturers / distributors need to do a better job explain the steps in detail to pretreating before the purchase. This is why I recommend people interested in dtg printing to go a training class (even if you have to pay for it) before making a purchase. As mentioned by QuadGear, there are too many people that get sucked into the belief that they have to print white ink... but don't realize what the pretreating part (which is a major part) entails and all the other factors that go into white ink printing. Coming from someone that does plenty of trade shows, it is not always as easy as it looks when you get it back into your shop.

Just my opinion,

Mark
In order to get the most consistent results day after day your pretreat needs to be the same everytime. We rely on being able to adjust our pretreat application in 1% increments during production. By pretreating at the machine level, we can see live what is happening on the shirt as the ink and the pretreat come together. So if the pretreat needs to be adjusted we can doing on the spot. Pretreating in advance does not give you that opportunity. I am partial, but effeciency in this area cuts waste.

Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 1:06:14 PM -   #69 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jon

Is there a pretreat machine out there for less (Significantly less) than $4500 - $5000?

Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 4:36:51 PM -   #70 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL SAVAGE
In order to get the most consistent results day after day your pretreat needs to be the same everytime. We rely on being able to adjust our pretreat application in 1% increments during production. By pretreating at the machine level, we can see live what is happening on the shirt as the ink and the pretreat come together. So if the pretreat needs to be adjusted we can doing on the spot. Pretreating in advance does not give you that opportunity. I am partial, but effeciency in this area cuts waste.
I believe your machine is a rather unique dtg. But point is taken that a pretreat machine or in your case automated pretreat within the machine. Allows for more consistant results. However thru practice you can achieve good results without the automation. Same as painting a car by a hand sprayer vs robot at factory. Both can be satisfactory but one is the same over and over. Guess it really comes down to $$$ and what level you want to be at.

The Following User Says Thank You to spiderx1 For This Useful Post:
Old April 14th, 2011 Apr 14, 2011 5:42:40 PM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx1
I believe your machine is a rather unique dtg. But point is taken that a pretreat machine or in your case automated pretreat within the machine. Allows for more consistant results. However thru practice you can achieve good results without the automation. Same as painting a car by a hand sprayer vs robot at factory. Both can be satisfactory but one is the same over and over. Guess it really comes down to $$$ and what level you want to be at.
spiderx1
This is a great post. You said it as good as anyone could have said it.

"Guess it really comes down to $$$ and what level you want to be at."

That attitude is what can actually make DTG printers a community. I don't care what you use. I just love the process. I've printed millions of t-shirts over the years with screens - DTG is more fun. I just like hangin with people that print t-shirts. It's a brutal, but fun business and truthfully there are not that many of us when compared to office workers on the man's clock.

My business runs at a certain level and I run in different circles than you may but we are just DTG printers! This is my latest article in Impressions. It will give you an idea of why I say the things that I say. I am seriously committed to direct-to-garment printing as a means to make a living and I hope that everyone makes money as well. We haven'y even scratched the surface of the possibilities.

Good common sense post. It's better than the sniping that goes on!

Old July 4th, 2011 Jul 4, 2011 8:29:53 AM -   #72 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

First month in---we are trying to use a treated paper once we lay down ink to cure. The paper is sticking to the print. Have tried lower (325) and higher (335) temps with the same results. 3 minute press time. HELP!

Old July 4th, 2011 Jul 4, 2011 8:39:51 AM -   #73 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

There are 2 kinds of paper make sure you have the right one. For a quick test go buy parchment paper at a grocery store and see if that fixes your problem.

Old July 4th, 2011 Jul 4, 2011 10:38:40 AM -   #74 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Alex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropictsandthing
First month in---we are trying to use a treated paper once we lay down ink to cure. The paper is sticking to the print. Have tried lower (325) and higher (335) temps with the same results. 3 minute press time. HELP!
You're probably not using the right type of paper. Curing paper needs a non-stick coating so it doesn't stick to the ink (usually either silicone, Quilon or Teflon). You can feel the difference between plain paper and paper that has been coated. Your pressure could also be too high on the heat press. You're looking for light pressure when curing.

-Alex

The Following User Says Thank You to equipmentzone1 For This Useful Post:
Old July 4th, 2011 Jul 4, 2011 2:40:44 PM -   #75 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Try this light or hover for first minute.
Then medium for last 2 min. This should improve your colors as well.
The first minute is critical. Keep in mind that many use a tunnel dryer with good results. I.e. No pressure.

This is a discussion about Before you get into DTG, things you need to know that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in