Printing over fuzzy fibers? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Printing over fuzzy fibers?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RobP614
  • 1 Post By equipmentzone
  • 1 Post By Ghoster32111
  • 1 Post By Ghoster32111

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 17th, 2014 Sep 17, 2014 6:14:22 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Rob
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Printing over fuzzy fibers?

I was at the NBM tradeshow a few weeks ago and was watching the Anajet MP10i print and it was printing on a pretty fuzzy garment that if I tried to print on with my Epson based DTG printer would look horrible. I'd have white fibers sticking up thought the underbase...

Yet the print after pressed look perfect!

Is it my printer? Or just an epson based DTG thing?

I have been fighting with this issue on district DT5000's all of this week (which normally print great)

-Rob
MZDEELO likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2019 Jul 9, 2019 8:23:52 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Sonya
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Printing over fuzzy fibers?

Hi! I'm having the same issue with Bella/Canvas. The print looks terrible with white fibers sticking up. Regular Gildans look great.

Old July 9th, 2019 Jul 9, 2019 9:05:57 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,068 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish3264
Hi! I'm having the same issue with Bella/Canvas. The print looks terrible with white fibers sticking up. Regular Gildans look great.

Try pressing the shirt first with a heat press for a few seconds to flatten the fibers.

_
DTG Merch likes this.

Old July 9th, 2019 Jul 9, 2019 12:11:28 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

What Harry said is some good advice a pre-press before pretreating will lay down fibers. If the shirt has a ton of fibers still use a paint brush and brush in one direction (doesn't matter which direction just go one way.) Then dry your pretreat you will get a nice smooth area to print on. These techniques will work on any shirt that has fuzz but one last trick which I advise to only the most skilled F2000/21000 users is this, If your are still getting fibers sticking up add a 5sec delay between the layers this will help you get a nice vibrant print as well as give you time to lay a piece of clean parchment paper across the wet image and pressing gently with the side of your hand slide it down the length of the image ( all in one direction again) this will press the fibers into the wet under base and when the color goes across it the fibers will not poke through. Then just cure as normal. These techniques can reduce you fibers sticking up by at least 80% also a quality pretreat will help as well.
DTG Merch likes this.

Old July 10th, 2019 Jul 10, 2019 10:10:37 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Sonya

We ended up using heat press vinyl our last order because we just couldn't get a good smooth print. I'll try your tips and hopefully we can print the next batch!! Thanks!!

Old July 10th, 2019 Jul 10, 2019 10:17:33 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish3264
We ended up using heat press vinyl our last order because we just couldn't get a good smooth print. I'll try your tips and hopefully we can print the next batch!! Thanks!!
For what it is worth I print on Bella's all the time and I usually can get away using just the brushing of the pretreat technique. The only down side is this adds a few seconds to every shirt but you get a better print. It becomes the Quality VS Quantity argument. I still always brush its second nature for me. I rather have something look good then have my name attached to a bad print. But that's my personal preference, I know a few shops out there that only care about speed and not about quality.
DTG Merch likes this.

Old July 11th, 2019 Jul 11, 2019 8:00:21 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Everson

Hello to all:

Very good recommendations indeed.
I'd like to add one more: If you use a tunnel dryer after applying the pretreatment on the t-shirt; heat press the t-shirt while still damp (and dry it out while heat pressing). The results will be even better.

This is a discussion about Printing over fuzzy fibers? that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in