What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :) - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 24th, 2009 Aug 24, 2009 7:27:05 PM -   #61 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Default Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

Chesterwayne and Nancy, could you do me a favor and copy and paste the answers from the first page of this thread and fill in the answers? That would be really awesome so that others can do a comparison based on those questions. Thanks you all are awesome for helping.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
ShirtsJustForYou (March 16th, 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2009 Aug 25, 2009 1:20:35 PM -   #62 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

What machine do you own? Kornit 931DS.... Started with a T-Jet 2

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision? Visited other users, and online.

What is your business model? E Commerce and Wholesale

Are you happy with your decision? For the most part yes.

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? Prints great quality prints in a short amount of time.

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? Lack of customer support by the manufacturer.

What type of maintenance do you do? Daily, weekly cleaning.

How long have you owned your machine? 2 years

How long did it take you to learn to use? 6 months efficiently with artwork and settings.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now? Ink Costs

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? The kornit is a great machine after the bugs are worked out. Don't expect a lot out of the manufacturer after the warranty is up. The dealers however have been pretty good.

Would you recommend this machine to others? Yes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ltadrian For This Useful Post:
Relik Apparel (August 27th, 2009), sunnydayz (August 25th, 2009), vctradingcubao (August 25th, 2009)
Old September 9th, 2009 Sep 9, 2009 4:27:14 PM -   #63 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

What machine do you own? Melco Jet (Ana Jet)

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision?
Research on the internet

What is your business model?
I started out doing sports teams and it now has unfolded in to other areas

Are you happy with your decision?
Yes

What are the pros you have learned of your machine?
It prints photo quality shirts

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine?
Darks are hard to set up. Some is operator error

What type of maintenance do you do?
I do a clean print head before printing each day. Twice a week i clean the print head

How long have you owned your machine?
6 months

How long did it take you to learn to use?
1 week. Still learning on darks

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?
Pretreatment cost and ability to print on drk shirts

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know?

Would you recommend this machine to others?
Yes

The Following User Says Thank You to mv4577 For This Useful Post:
HGE (September 16th, 2009)

Old September 27th, 2009 Sep 27, 2009 8:24:56 AM -   #64 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Dave
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

Is there a way one could make a chart of ALL the reported problems with ALL the DTG Printers reported on the forum. Charted by Brand.

This one report could be posted as a new thread and would be VERY helpful to folks trying to decide which to buy.
It will step on a few toes but so what.

Old September 28th, 2009 Sep 28, 2009 11:40:30 AM -   #65 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Angel
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We own a GT541 & GT 782
We bought the 782 due to our first Brothers rock solid performance.

my opinion NOOOO machine on the market has a better track record.

Old September 28th, 2009 Sep 28, 2009 12:39:00 PM -   #66 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: marty

take it from someone who learned the hard way . I tried two different machines that used Epson print heads and both were terrible . Machines were down all the time.

Finally wised up and got the Brother 541GT. No comparison to the others . It is a workhorse and I have run it every day without any issues at all .

Old September 28th, 2009 Sep 28, 2009 12:54:44 PM -   #67 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Keith

Default Re: What machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

What machine do you own? Brother 541

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision? Lot of online research, ISS shows, this forum.
Promotional Products dist.
Yes

Great print quality. Colors can be a little tricky.

Colors can be tricky.
What type of maintenance do you do? Not much. Thats what I love about it.
How long have you owned your machine? I started printing with my machine sept. 2008

Took a while to get the system down, had to go through one operator. Now we have a great system.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now? Nope

Need a good operator. Dont try to have some schmoe off the street run it and expect good results.

Would you recommend this machine to others? Yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to penpimp For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (October 16th, 2009)
Old October 2nd, 2009 Oct 2, 2009 9:20:03 AM -   #68 (permalink)
mividalogo

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]What machine do you own?[/B] Brother GT 541[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision?[/B] Travelled to different distributors with artwork and got duplicate prints with all artwork. Marked necks with printer name in sharpy and washed one shirt from each to compare. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]What is your business model?[/B] Retail and online sales[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]Are you happy with your decision?[/B] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Yes[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]What are the pros you have learned of your machine?[/B] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial]Speed, ease of use, ability to train someone to run in about 10 minutes. I virtually eliminated the need for a screen printer. Samples in minutes from art to cure.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]What are the negatives you have learned of your machine?[/B] [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial]Fades a bit on polyester (is designed for 100% cotton). Inability to print white ink -but I order screen printed transfers for those orders. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]What type of maintenance do you do?[/B] Clean the cap station when I change the black ink cart. Lint roll the platens before shutting off for the day (Lint is about the only thing that will affect the print). [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Other than that, it's self cleaning. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]How long have you owned your machine?[/B] I purchased when there were only Mimaki, Brother, and T-Jet on the market: installed back in November 2005.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]How long did it take you to learn to use?[/B] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]10 minutes - had presold $2000 worth of printing in advance of delivery with samples. Was printing within moments of installation - had pre-production print approved in 30 minutes and was off and running at once.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?[/B] Not really, it's been a wonderful piece of equipment that has consistently made money for me.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial]There is no rip software with this machine, this is an advantage to me because it was one less thing to learn. With any inkjet garment printer you need to have climate controlled environment. I installed an A/C unit for the summer and a good humidifier for the winter (with forced hot air heat this is essential). This is an important step to prevent ink clogs on ANY printer.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]Would you recommend this machine to others?[/B][/SIZE][/FONT] Yes, I have repeatedly. Best investment in 12 years of business.

Lisa

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (October 16th, 2009)
Old October 16th, 2009 Oct 16, 2009 11:28:15 AM -   #69 (permalink)
rix
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rix

What machine do you own?
I own an M & R i-Dot

I read T-Shirt Forums, Searched the internet for DTG machines, Went to trade shows, Sent files to the companys and asked for samples so I could compare quality.

I am a Graphic Artist, Signmaker and Airbrush Artist- Retail custom signs, vehicle graphics, t-shirts and logos

I am defintely Satisfied with my decision to purchase an i-Dot

From my research I think the software works great, very good quality on prints and excellent customer service!!!

I have not found any negatives. It does what i thought it would do and more.

I clean the capping staion and any areas that get ink on them from the daily use. i set the printer in nozzel checks which are done about every four hours when not in use and i run a basic cleaning mode at the end of the day.

I have owned my machine since July of 2009

I was able to start printing the day I got it. I did receive instruction on how to run the printer when I went to Chicago. It took about a month to get comfortable with what I learned in Chicago. Mostly me remembering what I was taught.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?
I feel that the research I did prior to purchasing made it very easy to make a decision.

I am very satified with my purchase. One of the key things to DTG printing is that the printers are made to print. If you let them sit and do not remember to follow normal maintenance instructions you will have problems, but if you do follow them you will be very happy with the results.

Difintely!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rix For This Useful Post:
Dono (March 22nd, 2011), sunnydayz (October 16th, 2009)
Old October 18th, 2009 Oct 18, 2009 8:39:37 PM -   #70 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

What machine do you own?
DTG Kiosk & the oh-so-rare, obscolete DTG Express

We're not spoiled for choice in that price bracket in Australia; online only, quite a few phone calls

We're a family trust trading as a T-shirt printing service, in Adelaide, South Australia, working from a shop front & a home based workshop

Some days yes; other days not at all. On the whole we love to hate the machines, maintenance is nasty, printing is far slower than screen printing & less predictable, but they can get superb results at times. We bought our trashed kiosk second hand and it has its moments in spite of reconditioning.

This is a brief summary - my husband will contribute more, he's the kiosk king. The Express is my terrain so here's its pros: an exquisite machine. We got it second hand and with reconditioning and a few spare parts, a couple of major breakdowns and a lot of hard work we have it working beautifully about 80% of the time. Pros are it doesn't even attempt white ink, so you know where you stand; the large format means serious efficiency in bulk printing (about 3X the hourly rate of the kiosk - we do orders up to 2000); large format means I can also do fabric printing & banners, giving my business more scope.

It doesn't do dark coloured shirts; adjusting clearance manually isn't very reliable, and it's imperative to have a very very flat print surface (far more sensitive than the kiosk & harder to keep flat); the plattens we were provided with were a DISASTER and we are constantly re-engineering new solutions for quick-loading, reliably positioned, flat plattens for bulk production; I go mad with streaky nozzles & wasted ink on head cleans; 2 pass printing remains more reliable which makes it slower, but still faster than the kiosk. Slower than screen printing & people want similar prices so we do a lot of late nights.

Head wipes, general cleaning; has a very reliable self clean, though it wastes a lot of ink; because no white ink it's far better behaved than the Kiosk.

nearly 2 years

We're still learning. Every new ink set, every new job, every new & unusual customer demand makes us push its (very flexible) boundaries on a weekly basis.

That Steve the marketing man has gift of the gab & at the same time as being talented & capable, needs to be taken with a grain of salt; however also that when it behaves the machine is MAGNIFICENT, which would have saved me a lot of anxiety in the low patches when I thought we'd bought a lemon.

It's not on the market any more sadly, because there are things it can do, like unusually big print areas, and printing the pieces of fabric before the shirt's assembled for an all-over print, and doing cushion covers and even quilts, that are what has helped our business to succeed.

be very wary if you see one second hand as there are major design flaws and it does take a LOT of work to get it to a comfortable level of consistency & reliability.

The Following User Says Thank You to bigquince For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (October 18th, 2009)
Old October 21st, 2009 Oct 21, 2009 3:08:09 PM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Frustrating - brother hasn't made it to Australia with its dtg printers yet! Reading many of the comments on Epson (of which we have 2) and brother (which seems to get good reviews from you guys) makes me realise that a Viper may not be the next step from our Kiosk...

Old October 22nd, 2009 Oct 22, 2009 7:40:29 PM -   #72 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rix
I got to see a demonstration of the Viper from the Seattle office and I was not impressed. I spent 8 hours with them working with the Viper and they could not print my design that I gave them off of a flash drive. They tried tweaking the design like I said for 8 hours and could not get it right. They said i needed to create the artwork different. I went to Chicago and saw the i-Dot from M&R. I gave them the flash drive and they opened the file and pushed print and it came out the exact way I gave them the file. So in just a few minutes I got a shirt with great quality with no adjusting. I was sold and i have owned mine for about 4 months and I am still very impressed. The i-Dot printer had meet and exceeded my expectations.
iDot from M&R - interesting! I'll look it up. How does the price compare? That's the big question for us!! Re the viper - the guys who distribute it in Australia are really fantastic; they have supported us to the hilt with emergency troubleshooting at all hours, taking parts out of their own machine to help us out etc; but the kiosk (and I imagine the Viper) are very hard work. Constant head flushing & head replacement (@$450 a head), the need to know the machine inside out, know exactly how to prepare files to get the right result, variation in the result depending on the age of the head, burst dampers, clogging, streakiness, oversaturation, undersaturation... My husband is extremely good at getting the best results from it & knows a lot of variables, but it's really costing more than it's earning at the moment.
Can you give me more specifications on the machine you're mentioning so that I can find out whether it's available in Australia? Thanks heaps! Alice

Old October 22nd, 2009 Oct 22, 2009 8:01:51 PM -   #73 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigquince
iDot from M&R - interesting! I'll look it up. How does the price compare? That's the big question for us!! Re the viper - the guys who distribute it in Australia are really fantastic; they have supported us to the hilt with emergency troubleshooting at all hours, taking parts out of their own machine to help us out etc; but the kiosk (and I imagine the Viper) are very hard work. Constant head flushing & head replacement (@$450 a head), the need to know the machine inside out, know exactly how to prepare files to get the right result, variation in the result depending on the age of the head, burst dampers, clogging, streakiness, oversaturation, undersaturation... My husband is extremely good at getting the best results from it & knows a lot of variables, but it's really costing more than it's earning at the moment.
Can you give me more specifications on the machine you're mentioning so that I can find out whether it's available in Australia? Thanks heaps! Alice
Its probably best to start a new thread with specific questions about a printer, that way it will keep this one on topic of the survey of machines. There is a M & R sub section in the dtg section of the forums that can be found here M & R Digital - T-Shirt Forums, where it would be the perfect place to ask this question, and keeping this one on topic Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
BestBordados+ (June 24th, 2010)
Old October 23rd, 2009 Oct 23, 2009 10:49:08 AM -   #74 (permalink)
rix
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rix

I was told it is available in Australia. I hear the guy to talk to uis Rick Bach. I have some numbers for you to call.
Toll Free:800-736-6431
Outside US: 847-967-4461

Just tell them you are from Australia.
The Price comparison is about the same. I bought extra plattens and extra inks along with the bulk ink system. I believe with all of the add ons I added the difference was less than $1,000.00

I have had my i-Dot for about 4 monthsw now and there is maintenace that you need to follow but if you run the nozzel check when you are not working and a head cleaning (which is pennies) you should be fine. I have not needed to power cleanings which do use alot of ink but maybe once in the last 3 months. That was because I let the printer sit for days and did not print. If you print every day a least something with the white ink the basic nozzel checks every 4 hours when not in use and wipe the capping staion and squeegee one a day you will be fine. Mine just keeps working. I have had some problems but it was always user error and not the printer.

The Following User Says Thank You to rix For This Useful Post:
bigquince (November 1st, 2009)
Old November 30th, 2009 Nov 30, 2009 12:10:15 PM -   #75 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Shaun

I'm going to be straight up about this... I've seen quite a few DTG prints and NOTHING can compare to a well manned, well maintained Kornit with somebody behind the operating mechanics who knows colors and the software! Hands down!

Just my two cents from experience.

This is a discussion about What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :) that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in