T-Shirt Forums banner

What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

221K views 239 replies 146 participants last post by  PiratePolos 
#1 · (Edited)
I have seen alot of good and bad about Dtg machines recently on here and I thought it would be nice to learn a little about each members experience with their machine and how they made the choice they did on the machine they own. If you can, cut and paste the questions below and fill in the answers for your machine. That way when others are researching, they can get real info from real users :) I will go first and answer in the next post as to leave the questions empty to make it easier to cut and paste :) Please lets keep this post friendly so it can be good research for others out there :)

What machine do you own?

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision?

What is your business model?

Are you happy with your decision?

What are the pros you have learned of your machine?

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine?

What type of maintenance do you do?

How long have you owned your machine?

How long did it take you to learn to use?

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know?

Would you recommend this machine to others?

See less See more
#116 ·
does anyone have the viper or K3? I am considering them for the "WIMS" and one pass fast as it seems the best choice for someone that may have inttermitant use (my primary job some times has me away for a week or so, so the auto pumping and circulating of the inks is a boon) till business i enough to be full time.

advice? recommendations?

#117 ·
What machine do you own?
Neoflex textile & solvent

The T-Shirt Forum, shows & exhibitions, dealers & other owners

We started out doing embroidery, then moved into vinyl & sublimation. Bought a Gerber Edge FX so we could print to vinyl including metalics. Rginestones and finaly DTG printing

Yes, very.

Versatility in that I can quickly swap to a solvent option. Large printable area 42 x 106. Closed circuit ink system.

No software manual - but this is in creation.

As specified by the supplier, daily, weekly & monthly

6 weeks.

Still learning but basics took a few days.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?
No, I thoroughly researched my options.

Read, research, read, research! You're spending a lot of money - get it right.

Definately.

#118 ·
What machine do you own? Brother GT-541

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision? The GT-541 was already a part of the business I purchased. The company I bought was a re-sale tha already had the machine there.

What is your business model? Brother GT-541

Are you happy with your decision? Yes

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? Pro: It has a decent print quality and is not a high-maintainance direct garment printer in the industry.

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? Con: Can only print multi-color desings on light color garments.

What type of maintenance do you do? Very little, does not require much maintainance.

How long have you owned your machine? I have owned the GT-541 for 15 months and the unit was on location prior to me buying the company for three years.

How long did it take you to learn to use? About 1-2 days.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now? Nope

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? Nope

Would you recommend this machine to others? Yes

#119 ·
all of this information has been a great boon in helping me decide on my first printer and well, my first step into the shirt printing world.
So far, i am feeling the best about the DTG Kiosk 3, but there isn't enough consistency in the information.
How do i know which ones have 'ink recirculation', because i only plan on using this thing every other week or so for small batches and whats up with prices!?:confused:
am i that new that i don't know where to look, but i really have no idea of how much this stuff costs!
i have a ballpark number of about $7500 for the Kiosk 3, but i am not sure.
can someone please help this hopelessly lost young fellow?

#120 ·
if you feel that "hopelessly lost" right now, then it's time to take a step back and regroup. Make a list of what you want to do t-shirt wise. then look at machines that will accomplish that. Then see the machines in person and get firm prices (the 7500 for the new machine is about half of what they quoted me here in LA). You need to go to a couple trade shows for the "glow" to wear off and so you can be somewhat more objective towards a purchase. Also, so that the "oo look shiny!!" phase is over. If they see your eyes all glazed over with purchase intent, some dealers will take you for all they can. You want to be knowledgeable as the salesperson when you talk about a real purchase so you know what you're buying and can do it level headed.

Research, research research

#121 ·
I try not to buy at a trade show unless I'm getting a good deal on the demonstrator. They always will extend the sale price a few more days past the show and a couple of times I got a slightly better price because there was no pressure on either of us. after the show, less pressure more time and at that point they know you're serious about your purchase and they won't try to blow smoke up your a#@!

#122 ·
What machine do you own? Direct Advantage by Sawgrass, using an Epson 4800 Print-head ( bought a used machine and had Sawgrass refurbish it )

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision? This and other Forums, ISS and other Trade Shows, Specific DTG Printer Vendors, Pre-owned Equipment sites, etc

What is your business model? Portable Event driven DTG Printing. From T's to Portraits.

Are you happy with your decision? Very

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? Very Robust, Superior Print quality, easily maintained and except for initial startup, has operated trouble free and dependably.

High Ink Cost, erratic error sensor function waste production time, (however since most of the faults are cleared by simply re-starting print cycle, no hard cost results)

What type of maintenance do you do? Mostly manufacturers recommended, (I.E. Docking Station, Print Head,etc) also since I use it in a Concession Trailer and therefore dusty surroundings, I Vacuum the interior mechanics wipe the exterior frequently.

How long have you owned your machine? Since Nov-2009

How long did it take you to learn to use? About two weeks, learned a lot working with Sawgrass support during that time, troubleshooting what appeared and ended up to be a shipping fault. Even though the Shock Sensors did not indicate a warning.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now? Not so far, No

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? My decision to acquire this machine went contrary to suggestions by a number of past owners on this and other sites. The risk therefore needed to be compared to the Ability, Cost, Support, and Fit to our Business model. I wanted most of all to have a printer that could withstand the pounding of being mounted permanently in a towable, and this fit the bill, it's a Brute. So far its performance has justified the move. There are gaps of perhaps a week to two between working events, and other than run a graphic through it every few days between setups (for the sample designs we make anyway) we are not forced to go to any special maintenance procedures and have been able to depend on reliable performance.
So I guess what I'm saying is there are times when one persons experiences do not necessarily reflect those of another. In the final analysis "Do your own homework"

Would you recommend this machine to others? For myspecific application, absolutely Yes if you can find one.

#123 ·
You got some good advice here. The best thing you can do is get to one of the big shows. I just got back from four days of working at SGIA in Vegas and I can tell you that you need to see the gear in action. You need to spend two days, at least, hanging around the machines watching them print. You need to bring your files and ask for samples. You will be amazed at the lack of equality in the gear.

Pay close attention to the construction of the equipment as well. All DTG gear is not created equal. Shows, shows and more shows

#126 ·
Whats amazing about being at the shows is that you actually get to see problems occur. Everyone has them. Watch carefully to see how they are resolved and the reaction of the exhibitors when the gear goes down in public. This is very telling. Generally you get some insight into the service you will receive. I don't publicly comment on gear i don't own but i did see some interesting happenings especially now that every one wamnts to claim they print on black - its amazing to watch. We actually print over 90% of our goods on black so I know.

#131 ·
I am new to all of this and just starting out something small. I have read through a lot on here and while I understand the Brother Dtgs are great they are out of my price range. I am watching a few on ebay and i was wondering if these machines are worth the money. I've read a lot of bad things about the T-jet but some of the posts are old. Have they gotten better? Would one work for someone just starting out? Or would I just regret it?

#133 ·
Hello , i own the ANJET SPRINT it Is reliable easy to maintain especially for someone new to the business it does a great job on photo quality .
Whites are a snap, Black is not difficult it is all in the pre treatment.
I have 20 yrs of all kinds of digital experience Solvent, UV, Waterbased. Dye sublimation on everything from Banner, Fabric,
Flag,
Ease of operation and bang for the buck ability to print white and black, i would say the ANAJET
wins hands down. their is give and take with all machines but after my research it made the most sense.
Hope this helps you.

#135 ·

What machine do you own?

DTG Viper

videos on youtube and this forum, and unfortunately the sales rep at a trade show

general screenprinter

NO

it does look good when it works

its a converted ink jet printer and it does not play well with the inks if you are not using it every single day

tons, cleans everyday, cleaning fluid in capping station if its not going to be used, drawing distilled water through cleaning tubes after every use to stop ink drying and blocking them

year and a half

half a day, then taught myself how to clean it by reading up about the epson printers on the net

how easy it is to get blocked when not being used, that it was just a converted epson printer

don't buy a machine that is just a converted ink jet that is used to print photos

NEVER

#136 ·
Awesome post. Spent about an hour reading every post and learned more than I had in several weeks of initial research. Unbiased and hugely valuable.

I have one question?
I feel like having a larger print area from a product like the neoflex would be really important but it doesn't seem to be something people really have an issue with from smaller print areas like the HMI and veloci jet.

I seem to have narrowed down between these products. Any thoughts on print area. i will be making custom clothes for my own line of clothes for babies, kids and adults. I will also try and make extra money on the side by printing shirts for local clients.

Does anyone feel like the product they own is limited by the print size?

Thanks.

#137 ·
I am blown away by people's praise of the Anajet. Ours is horrible, unreliable, inconsistent in output. Nearly unusable with desert low humidity, even with a humidifier. Outrageously expensive to print with, and requires too much maintenance.

In contrast, our Brother 541 is a dream machine. It's only downside (a big one), is that it does not print white.

#138 ·
What machine do you own?

Fast T-Jet2

This forum.

Mainly local selected customers. I don't have time for a large volume of sales.

Yes, for the amount of prints I do monthly this is a great printer.

Easy to maintain and repair

White ink separation, had an ink leak that fried the print head.

Clean print head, wiper, capping station after each printing, a few drops of cleaning solution in the capping station to keep everything damp.

1 year

Set the machine up and started printing a few minutes later. Got some help from Harry at the equipmentzone with the RIP software and that was it.

Dark pretreatment is an art and takes time to master

Nothing I can think of right now

For a small shop or home based business this is a great printer. Small orders are easy to do. I have done 200 shirt orders on mt T-Jet 2 and it is way too much work. Loading and unloading the platen is not as easy as most of the newer printers.

#140 ·
Hi,

I just wanted to let those know that were debating the kornit versus epson based machines, I have moved those threads to a new thread of its own. You can find it here http://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-garment-dtg-inkjet-printing/t148316.html.

This thread is strictly for answering the questions that were posted in the first post, to give feedback on all machines and answering those specific questions to give equal feedback on each machine..

If you would like to debate the merits of two machines back and forth then the new thread that I linked to above would be the place to do it. If it does not apply to your machine, and you would like to give more info on your printing and machine outside the questions of this survey, you are more then welcome to start a new post on that subject manner. Otherwise lets keep this thread free from posts other then the original survey questions.

It would be much appreciated, if you have a machine and have not filled out the survey questions, to go to the first page, copy and paste the questions and answer them, so that those that are looking, can also get your feedback in this survey as well on the machine you own.

Thanks for helping to keep this thread on track :)

#142 ·
This is a valuable post, my thanks to all who posted and kept it on track. I've read every post at least once.

I have a question. This post is now about three years old and many of the posters who originally posted only owned their machines for a few weeks or months when they gave feedback. Would it be possible for you guys to give an update on your purchase and if you're still happy with your purchase or are planning on making any changes?

#143 ·
I have a question. This post is now about three years old and many of the posters who originally posted only owned their machines for a few weeks or months when they gave feedback. Would it be possible for you guys to give an update on your purchase and if you're still happy with your purchase or are planning on making any changes?
I'm a NeoFlex owner since July 2010 & posted here some months ago.

I struggled with the old RIP software but the new RIP has transformed things for me - it's fantastic & so is the NeoFlex - I'm delighted with it. Support from AA has been first class too.

#144 ·
Well I posted back in 2008 and I am still happy with my choice. Since I purchased this machine I have only gone through one print head. a though understanding of ink-jet printers helps. The only problem I have had with SWF is not as fast of a reply when an issue would/did arise. Other than that no complaints!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.