What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :) - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 18th, 2009 Mar 18, 2009 3:27:36 PM -   #46 (permalink)
HGE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Orion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

What machine do you own?
Direct Advantage by Sawgrass Technologies

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision?

The person who supplies my embroidery machine suggested trying it, he is affiliated with Barudan which in turn was involved with Sawgrass...

What is your business model?
Local Wholesale Embroidery/DGP Shop. I also have an Ioline cutter and do Sports Twill/Film etc.

Are you happy with your decision?
Yes, and no, I like the end result of the printer, it had one hell of a learning curve and I still feel that there are things to be learned and improved upon. Overall ink price are a bit higher than I would prefer but I'm hoping in the future they will come down.

What are the pros you have learned of your machine?
It is a quick print that allows for great colors and detail. It also allows me to offer another option for my customers who do not want embroidery or would like something different that silkscreen.

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine?
Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.... Lots of cleaning that if not performed costs you money in ink and time... Also I dislike that the cleaning process, it cleans all of the nozzles instead of allowing you to choose the one that is clogged to be cleaned.

What type of maintenance do you do?
Daily cleaning of the capping station, wiper blade, flushing box and other internal surfaces that may acquire any ink. I find also on days that I do not use the machine it is imperative to keep the capping station moist. I use an eyedropper to place a mixture of 5% simple green and water to keep the print head from clogging. This works for a few days but I try to fire it up and print out at least one shirt to make sure the inks are flowing.

How long have you owned your machine?
I have had it for about a year.

How long did it take you to learn to use?
It took about a month, I was using the original software with the printer that was not performing up to expectations, once I found some new RIP software I was then was able to print a decent amount of ink on the shirt that provided good colors. I still have some problems with pictures/photos that customers bring in for printing. Most likely operator error, but I like to blame the RIP software. I still feel that there are limitations to my machine, but overall provides another service to provide.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?
Just that the average customer does not know what DGPrinting is. Most people are very excited to see final results but are a little hesitant when having it described to them.

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know?
My DGP is for lights only. Sawgrass offers an "upgrade" to white. I hear that Adv's ink is titanium based and supposedly eats up print heads. I have not converted to white ink and probably will not for a while. From what I have read here and heard for others is the pretreatment is process is something I do not want to get involved with at this time. I'm hoping it evolves in the near future.

Would you recommend this machine to others?
Depends on usage and what your needs are. I need to make it to a show and see some others in action to provide a valid recommendation.

Also I would like to add I am not sure how many people out there own this machine. I have seen very few threads about Sawgrass in general (or maybe I am missing something) and have noticed that they do not even have a subsection included in the list of DGPs. I just wanted to post this to include this machine due to lack of fore mentioning. Just my 2 cents thrown in the pot.
Have a good day…

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HGE For This Useful Post:
F213K (April 28th, 2009), Heaven1 (July 20th, 2009), Rodney (April 16th, 2009), sunnydayz (March 18th, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2009 Apr 14, 2009 2:03:08 PM -   #47 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

I'm in the beginning stages of deciding on a dtg machine and this thread was "the cats ***". Thanks , it's the best info I've read so far.

Old April 16th, 2009 Apr 16, 2009 6:21:18 PM -   #48 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Default Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

Hi! I own a Brother GT-541. Love it!!! It's so easy to use and learn about. As with any machine, the better the quality of the print, the better the result. I've owned it for about two years now. I am extremely happy with this machine. The only thing I don't like is that I can't print on dark items. BUT, if you have the money, Brother has just come out with a new machine that prints white ink now!!! If you're not going to use it you need to do a head cleaning every couple of days to keep it from drying/clogging. This machine is very forgiving, though. The cartridges are VERY easy to change...simply pull one out and plug the other in. No mess!!! I would definitely recommend this machine to anyone. If you are familiar with corel and photoshop you can begin to use this machine immediately. So simple. Love it!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to etched in stone For This Useful Post:
Heaven1 (July 20th, 2009)

Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 10:51:36 PM -   #49 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: T

We have an Anajet and it rocks! I will copy and post the questions soon!
T!

The Following User Says Thank You to TPBaker For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (May 23rd, 2009)
Old May 30th, 2009 May 30, 2009 9:06:22 AM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

[quote=sunnydayz;245737]I have seen alot of good and bad about Dtg machines recently on here and I thought it would be nice to learn a little about each members experience with their machine and how they made the choice they did on the machine they own. If you can, cut and paste the questions below and fill in the answers for your machine. That way when others are researching, they can get real info from real users I will go first and answer in the next post as to leave the questions empty to make it easier to cut and paste Please lets keep this post friendly so it can be good research for others out there

What machine do you own? MS ONE

Purchased Brother however I was misled and returned it with a LOSS after 1 month and then went to MS ONE - which I should have done in the beginning

What is your business model? MS ONE

Are you happy with your decision? TOTALLY

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? It does everything -

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? so far NONE

What type of maintenance do you do? 1 x every other day just an auto head cleaning

How long have you owned your machine? 7 months

couple of months - Pedro was tremendously hands on and available with any questions

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?
No

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? It is a very versitile machine - no limits!

Would you recommend this machine to others? Totally!
msprintingsolutionsusa.com

The Following User Says Thank You to payet-tees For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (June 19th, 2009)
Old June 4th, 2009 Jun 4, 2009 3:38:39 PM -   #51 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckin hotdesign
Thanks folks, This is such incredibly useful information. Has anyone out there had any experience with the new DTG Machine manufactured in Australia 'The Viper'.
Really keen for performance info. etc.
Hi Anna

Just to let you know in case you havent already seen it, there are a few dedicated viper threads already on here.

dtg viper related topics at T-Shirt Forums

Hope this helps

Old June 19th, 2009 Jun 19, 2009 5:30:48 PM -   #52 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Deitra

What machine do you own? MS ONE

Went to a print wear show. I got to see several in action and researched online and brochures.

What is your business model? DTG Viper

Are you happy with your decision? TOTALLY

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? It does everything -

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? It's like buying any first year model the next year will have the kinks worked out. Happy guinea pig though

What type of maintenance do you do? Head clean daily and full clean every 3-4 days.

How long have you owned your machine? 2 months

couple of months - A couple days for basic tees but still working on specialty items

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now? There is no manuel or error code list. I hate to call tech support to tell me how to push a button!

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? It is a very versitile machine - no limits!

Would you recommend this machine to others? I would avoid it I am the only one in my market with the machine. But to anyone else yes most definitely.

The Following User Says Thank You to deitrade For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (June 19th, 2009)
Old June 23rd, 2009 Jun 23, 2009 10:06:42 AM -   #53 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 846 Posts

What machine do you own? Anajet

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision? This forum along with screenprintinguniversity.com

What is your business model? We were a silk screen company that was/is a family business. My father-in-law "retired" and the screen equipment went to his son (2 hours away), and my wife and I bought the Anajet to service our customers.

Are you happy with your decision? Absolutely. I'm thankful I overlooked the '70's style design and bought it anyway.

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? Great prints, easy to use, prints on darks with great results, and allows us to handle any size order. We've done 1 shirt to as high as 1,500.

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? Not many. The training is enough to get you started, but I have learned so much more from these forums that have made my experience great. For the price, other platens should come with this as well as extra tubes and dampers. Also, the ink is the highest in the industry, BUT the end result is consistently great with low spoilage which allows for profit every time.

What type of maintenance do you do? Daily nozzles checks to avoid unecessary head cleanings. Clean the wiper blade and capping station every 1-2 weeks. (I know, this should be done more often.) Clean printhead with anti-static pads and cleaning solution whenever I see buildup. This physical touching of the printhead has by far been the most productive in keeping my machine printing like new. Thanks Bobbi for this tip!!! Anajet won't teach you this because they're afraid of someone being careless and ruining the head.

How long have you owned your machine? Since August 2008

How long did it take you to learn to use? Printed my first order right after filling the lines with ink. I took my design to the training and was ready to print as soon as I got home.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now? Not really. This forum is the best to gain the knowledge you need. I don't have any dealers close to me, and didn't want to go to an out of town show. These forums confirmed my decision which was between the Brother and Anajet. We chose the Anajet for the white ink and still saved $$$. The DTG brand's new machine looks very tempting though.

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? Be very careful buying one of these if you don't have a current customer base. I ran the production of our screen printing company, and didn't know jack about art, so I had to learn Corel from the ground up, BUT I had the blessing of having a current customer base calling us for shirts. This allowed me to make money while learning. Also, I run this out of my home which is allowing me to save up the money to open a full-service shop in the future. I would recommend using printers on this forum to do your early orders, which would allow you to ease into the market.

Would you recommend this machine to others? I would 100% without any reservation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 23spiderman For This Useful Post:
JACsigns (July 9th, 2009), sunnydayz (July 2nd, 2009), The Hoonies (July 6th, 2010)
Old July 2nd, 2009 Jul 2, 2009 2:29:15 PM -   #54 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

What machine do you own? Belquette Mod1

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision? Youtube video and a couple conversations with Jerid from Screeners Choice.

What is your business model? Retail Website, contract printing, dropshipping.

Are you happy with your decision? Very much. This machine is roughly double or more the speed of our other 2 machines.

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? Speed and innovative engineering makes this machine stand out from the others. One of the innovations is the quick 2nd pass so the board doesn't have to come all the way out to print the second layer. If you choose to use the advanced features in the rip software you can highly automate the artwork to printer steps. The low price is another good thing. $17,000 with shipping and extra board.

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? Can't think of too many. For a new dtg user the lack of a large detailed manual might make the learning curve slightly tougher. However, Mark, Brett and Renee give very knowledgable phone support.

What type of maintenance do you do? I do the maintenence belquette suggested. Daily washing / cleaning of wiper and capping station. The Mod 1 has a handy software control panel that allows you to make the wiper blade come out for easy access.

How long have you owned your machine? Few weeks.

How long did it take you to learn to use? Having 2 other machines we had this one figured out quickly. Took a week or so to get our automated stuff setup.
Had this been our first machine it would be no different than learning another DTG machine.

Nothing really. Wish these were around before I bought T-Jet blazers

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know?
As with any DTG machine be prepared to print 4-5 days a week, control the climate, and do the daily maintenance. If you don't follow these simple things you will have constant troubles with any DTG.

Would you recommend this machine to others? Yes.

Last edited by abmcdan; July 2nd, 2009 at 02:34 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to abmcdan For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (July 2nd, 2009)
Old July 2nd, 2009 Jul 2, 2009 10:03:35 PM -   #55 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

What machine do you own? Kiosk II w/ Wims

This Forum for the majority of information. Talked to SWF Mesa and liked their service and want to help me. Watched youtube videos.

What is your business model? Wholesale

Are you happy with your decision? Very much so

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? Simple to Learn. It's a workhorse. Love the software.

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? The only negative I can think of is white ink printing, but this goes for all DTG machines with dark shirt capabilities. At least this one has the Wims for less trouble. Some people swear by white ink durability, but I just don't believe it.

What type of maintenance do you do? Clean daily, head clean, print daily, wiper clean, capping station clean, clean encoder strip once a week.

How long have you owned your machine? 6 months

A couple days, but a couple weeks to fully learn it.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now? No

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? It's a great machine at a great price point that won't let you down. I can safely say that the DTG Kiosk has made our business

Would you recommend this machine to others? Most definitely

The Following User Says Thank You to Kwelp68 For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (July 2nd, 2009)
Old August 1st, 2009 Aug 1, 2009 4:10:07 AM -   #56 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: marty

FreeJet 320TX ; orig had TJet

Learned about by reading forums and seeing in person at dealers .

I operate from my home. Print for churches; civic organizations; have my own website.

Pros: good print quality when working properly
wet capping system for print head

Cons: Maintainance ; had to have it serviced
three times w/o warranty .print head
had to be replaced - over $450.
Last week , one of the circuit boards
fried .

I purchased this unit as a demo but based on my experience I could not recommend this printer . The Epson head requires too much maintainance and the cleaning solution is expensive too .
I will look to get this replaced now under warranty and then hopefully be able to trade up to a Brother 541. mistermugsy

The Following User Says Thank You to mistermugs For This Useful Post:
sunnydayz (August 20th, 2009)
Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 8:11:02 PM -   #57 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Smile Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee305
Thanks to everybody but specially sunnydayz for starting this thread. I am absolutely new to this business and are very excited about it. I have done a lot of research and ready for the challenges to come (specially the white on dark) which will probably be most of my business anyways.

However, I am still a little overwhelmed with all the info. out there. I m probably going to buy a printer within the next 30-60 days. My primary interest at this point are the dtg hm1, viper, and will meet with a rep from m&r to check out an i dot. once i do i will come back here and share with everybody my unexperienced review. I very interested in brother but scared of the cost of ink.

I will greatly appreciate any recomendations on which decision to make.

Go with MSONE - you will be tremendously happy and will not regret - does all colors, leather, tile amazing! www.msprintingsolutionsusa.com

all the best!

Old August 20th, 2009 Aug 20, 2009 8:24:17 PM -   #58 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

If you all could please keep this thread to machine surveys it would be great Otherwise the other posts take the subject off of the surveys themselves. For this thread if you particularly appreciate a certain survey, then the thanks button is a great way to let that member know it was helpful.

This thread is for people looking for a machine and being able to compare in a survey type setting, so just saying buy this machine is not going to help them compare. If you do own a machine and want to tell others why you think they should go with that machine, simply copy and paste the questions from the first page, and fill in the answers. That way they can get a fair comparison of that machine as well.

Thanks so much for everyone's cooperation in keeping this thread an easy read for those doing research.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
BestBordados+ (June 24th, 2010), BRoeAZ (August 25th, 2009)
Old August 24th, 2009 Aug 24, 2009 3:35:00 PM -   #59 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

After carefully analyzing the different DTGs on the market, I made my decision with an industrial sized direct to garment printer (Mimaki GP-604D).

I have been using this machine for 2 years now and my clients are very happy with the apparel I've been printing for them. The quality of the prints are vibrant and has a very soft-hand. The platen size is larger than the rest 16" x 24" than the rest of the DTGs out there. Not once, were the heads clogged like some of the other stories I've been hearing. The rip system for the Mimaki is also very easy to use. You can basically transfer any image directly from your computer and the rip system will transfer it to the printer. I highly recommend Mimaki if you are looking for a professional direct to garment printer.

Old August 24th, 2009 Aug 24, 2009 4:30:02 PM -   #60 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Nancy

I just purchased an Anajet to fill in the gap for printing on dark shirts (we have a Brother that we love).

The Anajet was a miserable choice for a desert climate. We have had nothing but problems and expense.

The Following User Says Thank You to focusink For This Useful Post:
Relik Apparel (August 27th, 2009)

This is a discussion about What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :) that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in