What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :) - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 8th, 2008 Jul 8, 2008 10:19:29 AM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: spankthafunk
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

really great post!

I do not own a DTG printer but hope to purchase one in the sometime future. I subscribed to this thread because it will definently help me make my decision~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 10:49:52 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

What machine do you own?
T-Jet Blazer Pro

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision?

Internet, US Screen website

What is your business model?
Retail Websites

Are you happy with your decision?
Very happy... 300 shirts into owning this machine with less than 2% waste(All operator error).

What are the pros you have learned of your machine?
Loading 3 shirts at a time is alot more efficient. The machine just works as its supposed to. Print quality is amazing. We do 65% of our business in black shirts and they look great.

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine?
None at the moment.

What type of maintenance do you do?
Standard manufacturer recommended.

How long have you owned your machine?
1 month

How long did it take you to learn to use?
I previously had a t-jet 2 so I picked it up fast. A new person might take a couple weeks.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?
It doesn't fit through a regular door. We had to take the bottom cart off and tip it on it side which was easy.

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know?
There is a lot of negative stuff on the forum about US Screen products, but with this machine it looks like they have finally gotten there stuff together.

Would you recommend this machine to others?
Yes, after having the hassles with the t-jet 2 this machine is a dream come true. You turn it on and it just works like it is supposed to. To me reliability is worth alot and this printer seems to be made very well. Also, US Screen has given great support anytime I had some questions.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abmcdan For This Useful Post:
Mistewoods (July 24th, 2008), Peta (July 22nd, 2008), Rodney (July 23rd, 2008), sunnydayz (July 22nd, 2008)
Old July 22nd, 2008 Jul 22, 2008 6:33:23 PM -   #33 (permalink)
hb9
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

This is a great thread. Thanks for helping me in my research.

Old August 10th, 2008 Aug 10, 2008 5:48:38 PM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mike

What machine do you own?
Kiosk II

Visited some trade shows, reading the forums.

I sell from an online store.

Very happy.

I find it very easy to use. It was a bit intimidating before buying it but it's really so straight forward.

I wish the box the platten sits in didn't have walls like on new models. Also, I wish there were more platten sizes but that's a problem with all of the brands.

Moisten the capping station at night, keep the machine clean.

Just a few weeks.

A few hours. I was heat pressing and didn't want to switch over yet but I ran out of transfer paper and was in a jam. I had to switch over and it took me a long time that night, especially because I only had one size platten but I'm glad to be using it now.

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?
I spent so much time researching the pros and cons to finally realize there aren't any major differences. There are slight variations in teh brands but it's not like one is horrible and one is great.

I'm glad I went with a refurbished DTG Kiosk and didn't spend the money I almost did on a Brother. I also thought about a T-Jet Blazer Express but ultimately I didn't want to part with all that cash especially never having used one of these before. I'd love to have the problem down the road that I'm so busy that I'll need a second machine or faster machine. For now I saved money and got a great printer.

Definately and I do often. For under 10k it can't be beat.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tshirtguy For This Useful Post:
BestBordados+ (June 24th, 2010), Mistewoods (September 3rd, 2008), Rodney (April 16th, 2009), sunnydayz (August 10th, 2008)
Old August 11th, 2008 Aug 11, 2008 2:52:10 PM -   #35 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Just wanted to let everyone know, I have moved several posts out of this thread as we are trying to keep it on topic as a resource for people looking for reviews of machines from machine owners. If you have other DTG questions please feel free to post them in a new post. Thanks so much

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydayz For This Useful Post:
BestBordados+ (June 24th, 2010)
Old August 11th, 2008 Aug 11, 2008 3:37:01 PM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Curt

What machine do you own?
AnaJet

Read a lot of Forums, Ask people who own one and compare all of the info I could

Full service sign shop branching out into the garment printing field, this will be a subdivision of the parent company

Very happy.

I find it very easy to use. The Forums helped a ton.

I wish someone would make a machine with automatic height adjust, have gone through a few shirts due to platten not set right between hoodies to shirts, just have to get into the habit of checking this, have placed a note on the machine already to remind to check the height

Have the machine clean ever 8 hrs if we are not using it, other than that just basic cleaning and shake the white ink

Just a few weeks.

A few hours.
Very straight forward

I researched it enough that I knew the pros and cons of each machine, about the only difference is being able to print white ink and the weight of each machine. I went with Anajet because of the weight and I wanted to be able to move it around and to take places.

I went with a dealer demo unit and saved at least 4 grand, have the extended warranty, 2 more plattens and new print head and lines. Couldnt help but buy it for that cost. And shipped to me as well.
Matt @ Advanced Color Solutions, great guy. Highly recommend him if you want to buy a Anajet
Definately would if they dont live in my town. Dont need competition.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prism For This Useful Post:
Mistewoods (September 3rd, 2008), Rodney (April 16th, 2009), sunnydayz (August 11th, 2008)
Old August 11th, 2008 Aug 11, 2008 9:00:28 PM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMclothing
Head cleaning before using it and every couple of weeks wipe the heads with windex.

i've been told by the techs for our sublimation printer, and at a vinyl application course, to never use windex to clean the machine or to clean a surface prior to vinyl application as it leaves a residue that will build up and block heads and with vinyl will break down the glue and allow vinyl to lift.

to clean our sp540 i broke open a cleaning cartridge and bottled it. few drops in the capping station fix 99% of problems.

Old August 26th, 2008 Aug 26, 2008 7:07:27 PM -   #38 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Michele

I think this is a great thread to start, especially for people who are considering purchasing a DTG machine. Each DTG machine is a bit different & has it quirks. Different brands offer different levels of support which should be considered as well.

What machine do you own? I had a TJet 3, and now own a TJet Blazer Express

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision? Going to several trades shows to see how each one worked. Bring your own art that you are familiar with & whichever brand of t-shirts that you think you want to use. Each DTG machine can print a bit differently on different brands, this is important if beautiful print quality is necessary. We picked the machine that gave us the quality that we were looking for on the shirts that we wanted to offer.

What is your business model? We provide contract work for businesses, local shirt designers, & have a retail location for personalized apparel along with Embroidery services.

Are you happy with your decision? We are content with our decision now. We have done orders as large as 500 shirts printed both sides w/ full large prints and were very happy w/ the outcome.

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? Our equipment provides wonderful print quality & a larger print area then the norm which is great for long tees. We have learned to adapt to our machine instead of fighting it. That's a big Key to the the success of the DTG machines. It's not your every day normal Ink Jet printer.

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? Where would I begin. We started out with a TJet 3 that was lemon, was handed a new one, that seemed to go okay for awhile. Moved up to a Blazer Express due to the increase need for larger print area. The machines can have a mind and attitude of their own (kinda like a boat or old car). Which can make you want to pull the hair out of your head. Now my only issue is the lag or pause time during print passes, some days when I am in a rush it can make me crazy, but I just take a step back & breathe.

What type of maintenance do you do? General clean-up - capping station, encoder stripe & occasionally we wipe down the print head itself. I find the Blazer Express much easier maintenance wise.

How long have you owned your machine? We got our TJet 3 last year, and our Blazer this year after they were released about April.

How long did it take you to learn to use? The initial learning curve took some time, especially since we had a bunch of customers that were looking for really crazy things to be done with their designs right out of the gate. I would safely say it takes a true 6 months to learn everything, all the different modes that are available especially were underbasing is involved and how each one works with different artwork, skin tones, etc.

There isn't really anything that would have prepared me for DTG printing. I knew going into this it was a realtively new printing process and that it would be a learning process.

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? Be patient, be deligent, be patient (yes again)...Do your research & choose carefully... Don't be in a rush, take your time & practice & learn. Always ask the tech support lots of questions, any time you have a chance.

Would you recommend this machine to others? yes, I would.

Thanks for this great thread!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ytmgreenville For This Useful Post:
BestBordados+ (June 24th, 2010), Mistewoods (September 3rd, 2008), Rodney (April 16th, 2009), sunnydayz (August 26th, 2008)
Old September 4th, 2008 Sep 4, 2008 9:44:25 PM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Riaan

What machine do you own?
HM1

Mostly this forum, went to a show here in South Africa, met up with Martin from Printa T. He printed a sample and gave us more info on the printer.

Starting a home based business with 2 reps (daughter and friend) that will go out and find business.

Yes, but still in baby shoes, lots and lots to learn. Very excited even if it is a little painful to mess up a good quality shirt in the learning process.

White shirts are so easy and really good quality prints.

At this stage I think the printer must think the user does not know what the heck he is doing I think the printer is right, but we will get there soonest.

We do headclean before switch off at night, clearning of capping station and general clearing of machine. Do nozzle check in morning befor we print. Still need to finetune our maintenance routine.

1 Week.

Still learning. White is so easy and the prints come out really nice. Coloured shirts are a challange though. High quality black shirts seem not not work as well with some of the settings. Printing at 1440x720 2 passes works for one shirt, but not for the other. Will post a question on this later.

One can never know too much. One thing maybe was to be able to spend a day or two at a dtg printer owner to see how the printer prints on various cotton "makes" and quality and to see how they do thinks.

Thanks to all of you (a good couple of names comes to mind) on this forum that helped us make the dicission to select and buy our machine. Now it is up to us to make it work for us, but it is nice to know that there is a forum like this where one can find, ask and suggest ideas.

Yes

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riaan For This Useful Post:
BestBordados+ (June 24th, 2010), Rodney (April 16th, 2009), sunnydayz (September 4th, 2008)
Old September 5th, 2008 Sep 5, 2008 8:35:57 AM -   #40 (permalink)
Former Member
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brian

What machine do you own?
Kiosk2

This Forum and going to shows taking my own art work and having them print it and comparing!

I have sign business and offer promotional product and had clients ask about shirts

Yes, there is a learning curve even if you have run plotter and printers.

White and light color shirts are easy money!

Nothing at this time, before I purchased this machine I knew there would be time spent on maintenance. And as far as I am concerned as long as you do it daily dosen't seem to have any problems

I follow the schedule I was given by SWF East, with one exception I place a few drops of distilled water on caping station every night and I do the cleaning after use!

5 Weeks.

After the training I was printing Light shirts and dark shirts. Some of the dark shirts seemed to have slight problem on washability all seem fine now!

No surprises here!

Make sure you do your research and yes the maintenamce is more than a printer printing just CYMK. White ink to keep working correctly does require daily maintenance!

Yes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vinyl signs For This Useful Post:
Rodney (April 16th, 2009), sunnydayz (September 5th, 2008)
Old September 10th, 2008 Sep 10, 2008 1:00:46 AM -   #41 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Smile Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

What machine do you own? T-jet balzer express

What were the sources of information you had researched to make your decision? i had been working at the convention center prior to getting into the t-shirt biz,so i had the chance to see earlier models in action at the SGIA show a couple of times

What is your business model?custom design,web store,full service printing embroidery & vinyl graphics

Are you happy with your decision? yes very much so

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? i love the feel and the amazingly viberant images i am able to produce,even on black garments,also the versitility it gives you to do non-textile objects

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? if you don't keep a tight maintenance schedule you can experience serious prodution problemes

What type of maintenance do you do? all component that need attention recieve it on a daily basis from cleaning nozzles to making sure there is no lint accumulation

How long have you owned your machine?6month

How long did it take you to learn to use?i opted for the training class that the manufacturer offers so i got tha hang of it pretty quick

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? all in all it's a great investment

Would you recommend this machine to others?most definitely

The Following User Says Thank You to kdot27 For This Useful Post:
Rodney (April 16th, 2009)
Old January 19th, 2009 Jan 19, 2009 10:55:10 AM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

What machine do you own?
Brother gt541
tradeshows, demos from vendors and this forum.
walk in t-shirt store in bussy area , fast turnout and mostly "one of a kind" or small runs.Vinyl, laser transfer ,embroidery and now dtg.
yes
What are the pros you have learned of your machine? Speed, this machine is fast enough to make the client wait while you print the t-shirt in front of him, and very high clearance in platten so uneven surfaces are printed with just definition loss in the lowest parts.
Over the neck, pocket or zipper prints,allows for eyecatching effects.
The build quality, this thing has big R&D written all over it.
Last but not least, being able to run this printer from an 8 year old computer.
What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? is not a negative, but baby plattens from brother are a bit expensive, and necesary if you are doing small sizes ( most vendor second size platens are expensive anyhow)
Machine's own "strong head cleaning" whenever noozle chack fails ( usually once after a while without being used), and brother includes a head cleaning pack if manual cleaning is required.
How long have you owned your machine? Mine over a week, the demo machine i tried for 3 weeks ( around 100 prints)
1/2 day
No, I try to get as much info as possible, and this machine has not given me any surprises.
Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know? Always try to buy at tradeshows or during one ( my distributor gives me the trade show price without having to go there phisically), getting discounts and extras is a lot easier.
If it fits their business model, absolutely,

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loloxa For This Useful Post:
BestBordados+ (June 24th, 2010), Rodney (January 19th, 2009), vctradingcubao (January 20th, 2009)
Old January 25th, 2009 Jan 25, 2009 7:44:21 AM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Kenneth

What machine do you own?
KORNIT 931

MESSAGE BOARDS AND TRADESHOWS and lots of sleepless nights thinking about it.

WE DO CONTRACT PRINTING FOR SOME LARGE COMPANIES AND NEW INTERNET WEBSITE STORES

5 MONTHS IN - YES- ITS MADE OUR WORKLOAD EASIER AND WE GET ORDERS OUT QUICKER

I AM PRINTING SOME AMAZING SHIRTS WITHOUT BURNING SCREENS AND DOING SEPERATIONS - it is a learning process to do this though.

It waste lots of ink. This could be avoided I am sure, I also think the ink should cost about $10 a bottle, Do to the cost of the machine. Also the fixative should cost you around 5.00. This would enable you to recover your initial cost quicker and enable you to buy more machines.

daily cleaning and lots of tinkering with the dryer to figure out the correct time and temp. Plus every shirt brand and country that its made in changes the fixation spray settings...This also changes the way your shirt prints.

How long have you owned your machine? about 5 months

STILL LEARNING. - this also could be better. We were suppose to get 3 to 4 days training... (at about $1000.00 a day cost)... we got maybe a day if that.

Yea, that it wasted so much ink, That needs to be factored into the shirt cost. Plus it takes forever for them to send you stuff..parts and what not. To many loops to jump through.

I hope you have patience, you will need it for every stage of owning this machine, from getting it in, installing it, learning how to use it, communication with them..(on the phone with tech support).. But I think it will be worth... If you have the time to waste they are their for you!

If you have a good business already, and this will help you improve it.
or if you already have the money that it takes to get this without putting you in a bind. YES!!!!

Also you need to be computer savvy. Learn how to use Photoshop really well first!! If you need to rely on others to get your artwork and if you are starting a business.. It would be hard for you to get everything going and pay for the machine... I would think long and hard about it.

In Summary, I love the machine and I think it was a wise decision for my company. It was a bad time economy wise to purchase this but We are counting on this to give us the edge over our competition to set our prices lower and our output quicker. So far this has worked.

I will keep you posted. KORNIT ROCKS!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kenscott For This Useful Post:
Rodney (April 16th, 2009), sunnydayz (January 26th, 2009), vctradingcubao (January 25th, 2009)
Old January 26th, 2009 Jan 26, 2009 12:48:50 PM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dona

Just got back from the Long Beach Show, did some checking on these machines. Their are so many to choose from. The ones that did really stick out where the the DTG, Brother and the Tjet. I was impressed with the white ink circulating to keep an even consistacey with the DTG. The Brother I heard great things about from owners and talking to them directly, they all say the same thing, they miss the ability to do black, the Tjet was not so impressive, and did leave me with more questions. Right now the prices are very good. From 13 to 20 thousand depending on the size of the machine. We did find that doing the same design on the smaller and one on the larger machines (same brand) the larger machines did print a more colorful design. The spread of ink is larger, about two fingers and the smaller is about one finger.

I was wondering if everyone could mention the price they paid for their machines in their discriptions. Like I had mentioned I saw so much it was kind of hard to keep everything so straight.

And yes the show was actually amazing! Seems that with the economy like it is, they are really wanting to work with you, which means work for them.

The Following User Says Thank You to speshl For This Useful Post:
BestBordados+ (June 24th, 2010)
Old February 25th, 2009 Feb 25, 2009 1:56:44 AM -   #45 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: steve

Hi,
This really is a great thread! I just returned from the Orlando ISS show and am at the smae crossroads, which company and modelo to choose from. I am new to all of the technical, but am an experienced designer.
If anyone would like to share any of their opinions and/or experiences with me, I would be very grateful!
Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to nevets For This Useful Post:
wilbur499 (April 5th, 2011)

This is a discussion about What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :) that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in