What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :) - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 23rd, 2008 Mar 23, 2008 5:48:29 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

What machine do you own? Brother

What were the sources of information you researched to make your decision?

Trade shows, forums

What is your business model? just started a retail shop, was in basement

Are you happy with your decision? couldn't be happier

What are the pros you have learned of your machine? It never lets me down, is a work horse
I have left for a month, plugged it in and started printing without even doing a test.

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine? none (well no white ink) but that hasn't hurt

What type of maintenance do you do? none. I guess I should but I must say I have not. The guy I purchased it from came and moved it for us to our new location about 2 months ago and went over everything. cleaned the heads etc. but that was the first time in 2 years

How long have you owned your machine? 2 1/2 years

How long did it take you to learn to use? the day we plugged it in

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?
That I knew about the machine sooner

Is there anything else you would like to add or let others know?
It is a great machine and if you want to get into the market, in my opinion it is the best machine out there

Would you recommend this machine to others? in a minute

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to martinwoods For This Useful Post:
AustinJeff (March 23rd, 2008), manna1111 (April 12th, 2008), Mistewoods (July 8th, 2008), Rodney (March 24th, 2008), sunnydayz (March 23rd, 2008), valgraph (March 27th, 2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2008 Mar 23, 2008 6:31:46 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Nancy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

Re: Brother. Least learning curve of any equipment I have had in a long time. One of the reasons I purchased it was the state durability of the heads. At most, I get streaks in the output, and after an auto clean, the problem is gone. Definite recommendation.

Old March 23rd, 2008 Mar 23, 2008 6:38:35 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

What machine do you own?
Flexi Jet L model.

Online forums, discussion boards, visiting shops, watching videos, reviewing business model.

What is your business model?
Contract printing first and foremost, selling retail at events, helping my friends get off their feet with design concepts and t-shirt/canvas lines, fulfillment printing for photographers (some of which are friends) along with other t-shirt shops, making a central ebay store/website for my friends designs/slogans, maybe starting a line of my own.

It's all about contract/fulfillment printing first, then not forgetting about my friends who need some help.

Are you happy with your decision?
All and all yes, although the Brother is a solid machine and sometimes I would like to have one. But when it comes down to it, can I print from top to bottom with a brother? Not without lining up prints. Does ink cost more on a brother? Yes, much more. Do print heads cost more on a brother? Yes much more. For retail sales, this may not be that much of an issue but, for contract/fulfillment printing, it effects my everyday profit. Labor cost is cheaper than ink cost.

What are the pros you have learned of your machine?
Large printing area 17"x54", I get many requests for top to bottom printing. Now if it were only 24" wide...

Pretty easy to use and maintain, though don't just think anybody can do it!

I can print on anything!!!!!!!!!

What are the negatives you have learned of your machine?
Crooked as can be, and I dont mean ddm, lol. The platens, the carriage, the bed. I, personally, have fixed all of these problems, and it was A PAIN!!! I don't really blame belquette either, I'm sure the engineering was there (one of the reasons I went with the flexi), something in the manufacturing/assembly went cuckoo. From one platen to the next the design must be moved a 1/4" this way or that, but I have both the software and hardware figured out much later!

What type of maintenance do you do?
Everything! Clean it all! It really saves on the ink.

How long have you owned your machine?
Sept, 07

How long did it take you to learn to use?
Tough question, 1 day, but then doing my first top 2 bottom print took almost a day in itself. Certain colors were hard to achieve, like silver, I never printed a silver until I got a request for it (none of my designs or most customers designs have any silver). It took maybe 30 prints to get a solid silver. Same with non garments, that took about the same, then a new RIP was released, better for t-shirts but through off all of my non garment experimentation.

Like I said too, a little crooked. Printing off the first platen in 5 minutes, printing off of 4 platens...another story. All is good now though!!!

Is there anything you wished you had known before you bought your machine that you know now?
Not really, though I wish I would have waited and got a credit for the white ink and pretreatment until I was ready to use it!!! Now I have a $400 trash pile. I still wish ddm would hook me up with some new white (hint)...

Get ready to experiment, no matter what machine you choose. Be ready to waste some money. It almost made me cry when we got a new RIP and I had a canvas order to print, the old settings were not the same. Magenta and black needed pulled waaaaaayyy back. About 30 canvas later I was happy.

Would you recommend this machine to others?
Yep, wait, I like the money, maybe not, lol. Just know what you're doing and getting into. Can anyone load a shirt, push print, and press? Yes. Can I (or any pro) get better colors/results than a newbie, probably so!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the funk For This Useful Post:
AustinJeff (March 23rd, 2008), gtn (July 10th, 2008), Mistewoods (March 24th, 2008), Rodney (March 24th, 2008), sunnydayz (March 23rd, 2008)

Old March 24th, 2008 Mar 24, 2008 6:26:07 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Denise

love this thread I like a lot of others reading it are still waiting to get 1 i liked the look of the Anujet at the exhibition has anyone got 1 yet it did print on black and the results where very good he gave me 2 shirts to do wash tests on !white 1 black and so far they r looking good but its a lot of money to pay out and not sure i have the volume of business yet to justify it but things are looking better each week

Old March 24th, 2008 Mar 24, 2008 7:07:57 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brad

What machine do you own?
Brother GT-541

We ran a Beta test machine since Jan. of '04 and bought a production version in Aug. of '05

Servicing local business, churches and schools with logo apparel and promotional items.

Abso-friggin-lutely!

Quick print speed, easy to use, dependable. Really a very well designed and easy to use machine.

No white ink and the blues are sometimes a little dull. Ink is expensive, but no more pricey than regular inkjet ink that I print with everyday and DON'T bill for(like work orders and ship tickets).

None, other than the capping station cleaning every 800-1000 prints.

Aug. of '05 on the production model
Jan of '04 on the Beta model

No time, by the time the tech set it up, I watched him print and the menu settings he went through. Everything is very easy to use.

Nope, I got to use one for a year and a half before buying one.

Make sure you have good design software and somebody that knows how to use it.

Heck yes. I can't think of a better built printer for the same price range. I also think white ink could be a little better than it is now before I jump in. I would love to see the number of people that have a white ink printer that don't use white ink.

I would also recommend a FAST computer. We upgraded this one when we bought the printer. I assembled a top of the line system and have since upgraded it a couple times and it is still great and I run all of our films, banners and art off of one system.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mk162 For This Useful Post:
Mistewoods (April 2nd, 2008), Rodney (April 22nd, 2011), sunnydayz (March 31st, 2008)
Old April 2nd, 2008 Apr 2, 2008 8:32:53 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

What machine do you own?
Kiosk II with White Ink

Certainly asked MANY questions on T-Shirt forum and I went to a couple of small shows in the Baltimore area last year.

Currently I sell online and also to local companies in my area. I was feelling overwhelmed with selling DTG, sublimation and vinyl. So, I recently cut out sulimation because it had the least amount of profit for me.

Absolutely, I love my KIOSK. My customers love my work and I love designing in Photoshop and Corel and translating it onto the DTG.

Very easy to use and it has always been reliable!!

Not really a negative but I learned that you MUST have a speedy and high end computer or the Kiosk will not work properly. After I fixed my computer, my kiosk has been flawless.

I clean my computer every few days, capping station, and get ink out of certain areas of machine with cotton swab. I do this every few days.

February 07

It really didn't take that much time, a week I think.

I'm really happy with my decision to buy the DTG with white ink. I get many orders of black shirts that need white ink.
I recommend that you first know the market that focused to selling to before buying a DTG. Some markets prefer Silk screen or sublimation products. I made the mistake of buying everything, spent lots of money and I'm in the process of selling my sublimation products because I simply don't have the man power or the sales to justify having so many pieces of equipment. I sell DTG the most in my area online and to local vendors so I'm focusing on that only right now. I'm thankful to a supportive family. = )

I love this machine and I have had absolutely no problems with it. You absolutely have to clean the machine and keep up with the maintainence and you will never be disappointed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nabs For This Useful Post:
gtn (July 10th, 2008), Mistewoods (April 2nd, 2008), Rodney (April 22nd, 2011), sunnydayz (April 2nd, 2008)
Old April 20th, 2008 Apr 20, 2008 6:19:11 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Dave
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

I am getting ready to buy our first printer and this is very helpful. Thanks to all.

Old April 24th, 2008 Apr 24, 2008 6:15:50 PM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Jamie
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

What machine do you own? T-jet jumbo 22

Trade shows, web, and call people who own them. Testing alot of DTG printers.

print print print (more you print the more $ you get)
Very happy. I would change my decision every
Consistent prints, best printer for darks, easy to use, printing all sizes large (beach towels) and small (golf balls)
They stopped making them
Head cleaning before using it and every couple of weeks wipe the heads with windex.
1 1/2 years
about 2 weeks (but the company I bought it from let me use the T-jet2 till i got the jumbo)
How to price jobs. there wasn't to many people out there with price lists.
Make sure to do you research before you jump into anything.
I would put they don't make it any more :-) I guess i got lucky

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HMD10 For This Useful Post:
Mistewoods (April 27th, 2008), Peta (April 24th, 2008), Rodney (April 22nd, 2011), sunnydayz (April 24th, 2008)
Old June 2nd, 2008 Jun 2, 2008 5:01:02 PM -   #24 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Byron
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Any input from the Mimaki or Kornit users?

The Following User Says Thank You to vctradingcubao For This Useful Post:
fogfor (May 17th, 2009)
Old June 9th, 2008 Jun 9, 2008 6:04:10 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Default Re: What machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :)

Wow amazing thread, I learned so much from reading this thank you!!! I went to the DTG website and am impressed! I think I will probably purchase this once I get to the point of buying.

Thanks again, this thread is going to help so many people!!!

Barbs

Old July 1st, 2008 Jul 1, 2008 9:25:46 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Curt

I havent seen a comment about Anajets? Does anybody use them? I am thinking about buying one for the fact they use the closed ink system, the same as my Rolands. Right now I am a full service sign shop and wanted to venture into shirt printing to do short runs for wholesale and my customers. I am looking very strongly at a Anajet, I dont really like all of the problems T jet is having and all of the new procedures that come out daily about it from the factory to the dealers.
Any Anajet users out there?

Prism

Old July 1st, 2008 Jul 1, 2008 10:44:02 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Hi Curt,

It might be good to start a thread asking for anajet owners to give info. I have tried to get feedback from all different machine owners on this thread but it seems there are not as many anajet owners, so the feedback hasnt gotten here

Old July 5th, 2008 Jul 5, 2008 6:46:27 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

What machine do you own?
T-jet Blazer Express

Internet, talking to current owners, and this forum

Started as a laser engraving shop, about 2 years later moved into print&cut vinyl. 1 year later looked at garment printing and took the plunge. Most sales are online but local sales are also picking up

Yes

Allows you to print those full color graphics onto garments that the local screen print shops can't. I like the idea that someone can walk in, order a shirt or two and walk back out the door with their product in less than 1 hour.

I wish it was faster. For small orders it is great, large orders I turn down.

Daily head cleaning, nozzle checks, clean the capping station and give the white ink bottles a shake or two.

Purchased in Feb of '08

Uncrated the machine at 9am and was printing shirts by 1pm. Still don't have the white ink printing down to a science but learning. I have been running a Roland sp300 for quite some time so the software came pretty easy to me along with operation of the printer.

No, I can't say there is. I had given serious thought if I really wanted the white ink ability and don't regret that decision at all.

Just do your research before you purchase as you are putting out a BIG chunk of change. These machines, as like any other brand of DTG do have a steep learning curve to them. Don't expect to be selling shirts the first or 2nd day you get up and running. It was 2 weeks and 20+ shirts later before I felt confident that I was now able to print and offer for sale my product. Don't forget about the daily maintenance, if you do, your going to have nothing but problems. Don't get frustrated when things don't go your way. I read some forums where people are very disappointed with the DTG machines and I honestly believe 99% of that is operator error. These machines are not plug in and go folks, they take time and patience to learn.

Yes I would, but keep an eye on this technology as it is changing as you read this article.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mike2468 For This Useful Post:
beobe13 (September 9th, 2008), Gunslinger (July 6th, 2008), Mistewoods (July 6th, 2008), Peta (July 7th, 2008), Rodney (July 7th, 2008), sunnydayz (July 5th, 2008)
Old July 7th, 2008 Jul 7, 2008 3:12:43 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

In order to keep this thread on track, please post any new questions as a new topic in this section of the forum. Let's let this thread focus on "which DTG do you own and why did you make your decision on it" with the answers from Bobbielee's survey in the first post. I think it gives a great overview from actual DTG operators on the machines they own.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rodney For This Useful Post:
BestBordados+ (June 24th, 2010), Mistewoods (July 8th, 2008), Peta (July 7th, 2008)
Old July 8th, 2008 Jul 8, 2008 9:40:11 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Marilyn

What machine do you own?
Flexi-jet L

Talked to distributors, read forums, and went to see the machine at Printwear Show

We have been doing embroidery for many years, added laser engraving a few years ago, bought the Flexijet about 2 years ago and just added the VersaCam about a month ago.

Yes

We can print t-shirts, bags, hats, and numerous other items which adds to our overall business

I wish it had a better white ink for a more softer feel on the dark shirts.

Daily cleanings, flush lines and carts about every 2 or 3 months and have replaced the printhead about 8 months ago.

Purchased in June 2006

Mostly only about 2 to 3 months, but we always learn some new tips or tricks as we go along.

No, I just wish the white inks were better.

Figure out what you want from a machine, do the research and pick the machine that fits your needs best.

Yes, it is a good machine and Belquette is a good manufacturer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BML Builder For This Useful Post:
Mistewoods (July 8th, 2008), Rodney (July 8th, 2008)

This is a discussion about What DTG machine do you own and how did you make your decision on it :) that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in