DTG printing size labels - video - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

DTG printing size labels - video

Like Tree16Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 13th, 2014 Aug 13, 2014 5:21:38 PM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default ...A little Manual vs Auto PT debate fun..

Suit and mask only take 30 seconds or less... Gun takes a minute or 2 to set up initially. Not very long at all for either, but it does get hot and sweaty in there and I am always mindful of over-spraying chems into the atmosphere.

A lot of people don't employ the "suit", but when you are spraying several hundred shirts at once, in a booth, the suit becomes a necessity .

Its not a comfortable process, but I am not that fragile and do not require to be in my comfort zone at all times. The Auto would be great for pre-treating the main area, but manual is much faster for printing all 3 zones at once (I always have a helper taking the PT'd shirt and handing me a new one, like a chain process - goes quick)... Unless... you figure out that option for an attachment on the TX. That would be very interesting indeed.

Only question is, how to control spraying outside of the necessary zone on an auto? Example, I would never spray 16" wide worth of area if I only needed 13". And it would appear that every Auto PT unit has control over length, but no control over width of spray (Viper does left and right chest print zones, but we never get requests for "pocket" prints, so is non-beneficial to me personally). In which case one would be substituting PT economy, with 'convenience' (waste of product). Where I can be very efficient when applying specific coverage to only the area requiring PT, manually.

For Debate sake: To me the comparison of manual spraying vs Auto PT claims of a "perfect" and even coating, is arbitrary at best... A good example of manual spraying effectiveness is the after market Custom Hot Rod painting industry: I have a good friend who owns a successful shop in CA, he conveyed that after market auto painting is a multi million dollar business on it's own. And I don't think so much money would continue to flow in that industry if spray operators were unable to lay down an even coat of paint by hand. And in that profession, actual paint is much less forgiving than any PT I've worked with. I've also sprayed a little paint in my day (Chevelle, sad story, dont ask..) I also know something about "flat fan" nozzles in general, they spray in a "fan" pattern which means you will always have more liquid down the center of any spray pattern channel. Spray an even 5 ft long column of water on the ground (with Wagner or equivalent) on a hot day and it will illustrate my point exactly: the middle will always show much heavier coat than the sides. That is a 'fan' nozzle's trait. The only gun out there that I've used that sprays very evenly is the Graco, but it too high maintenance for me personally. And my Wagner 570's trigger is pressure sensitive which allows me to be very even while applicating. And if a particular machine only employs a center single nozzle, then there is a good chance it will add more PT to the center of the designated area during it's cycle, and less PT on the margins... I watched a Lawson spray over and over at a show once. It had 3 nozzles, and due to a light glaring on the other side of the unit, it was easy to witness 3 wet paths of PT along with 3 columns of drier PT'd area in between the wet columns. It was obviously uneven... And the price congruent with a used Honda Accord.. I don't know how effective EZ's unit is, but have been watching vids. The thing I like best is how the Auto PT unit would help greatly reduce exposure to the atomized PT in general, allowing less contact with chems.. I am positive it doesnt reduce exposure down to ZERO, but I can visualize how it will cut down exposure substantially... I mean, we really don't know the long term effects of the chems involved in PT, and why risk if you have the moola for an Auto PT machine? Everybody who wants to sell you something will insist their product is "safe", and as long as their eye doesn't twitch when they say it, we believe em! But no one can really be sure of a potentially unsafe product's characteristics until time passes and appendages start falling off.. And if you get hung up on things like that then you'll never be self employed, because occupational hazard exists everywhere. Choose your poison.. Jeez, I can remember several jobs I've had in the past that were severely hazardous to my health, but the money was there and I had to pay the bills. But if there is a way to mitigate exposure to the unknown and potentially harmful risks, then I am all for it... I am interested in the SpeedTreater TX, and if I had the extra cash I would scoop one up and give it the same thorough research battery and usage as I do everything else. Its all electric and I like the quiet aspect it presents too, because right now the loudest thing in my process is the Wagner...
Just my thoughts on manual and auto spraying in general...
All debate comments welcome here

I think both Manual and Auto fit well for DTG. Some people aren't comfortable spraying by hand, but I don't mind it, I take my time and make sure I do it right - technique didn't happen over night, and nothing will ever be perfect in either world.

I am just happy that DTG exists at all, imperfections and all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2014 Aug 13, 2014 5:37:42 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Smile Re: DTG printing size labels - video

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey
The proposed idea could also be expanded into Front Chest print size reduction and unusual logo placement options like at bottom of shirt etc with large PT saving potential
I dont think that is an option with flat fan nozzles. Unless the Auto employs a separate nozzle specifically for more narrower passes. Currently, cost effective fan nozzles don't have the ability to self-narrow, in order to be economical with PT waste. Nozzle height placement is the only way to narrow or widen width on a single nozzle... as far as I know. Perhaps simply attaching a raised platen to the TX's existing platen will add enough height to narrow the spray pattern of the SpeedTreater's existing nozzle. Thus narrowing the coverage and minimize coverage to just necessary area... And equipment zone wouldnt have to make alterations/concessions to their existing unit. Makes sense to me.. Thoughts on this Harry?

You guys are gonna laugh, but I have put extensive research into spray nozzle technology too... I have been to Alibaba, Tradekey, local paint stores... and everything in between to figure out which nozzle would be best suitable for PT application. To find out which nozzle outputs the most even amount of liquid per pass... All this because I have a postponed "Mist KING" themed DIY Auto PT project on the back-burner. I really did go into this industry with the same passion as anything else I do, and I have a lot of fun trouble shooting and innovating procedures and technology on my end.

In a perfect world, I would have 3 Aeoons and 4 Auto PT units in use at all times .... And 6 Geo Knights.... And a boat, another motorcycle, and maybe a NY Style pizza joint opened just for me.. and a six pack
..In a perfect world.

Old August 13th, 2014 Aug 13, 2014 6:25:02 PM -   #33 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

Default Re: DTG printing size labels - video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmedusa
Unless the Auto employs a separate nozzle specifically for more narrower passes. Currently, cost effective fan nozzles don't have the ability to self-narrow, in order to be economical with PT waste. Nozzle height placement is the only way to narrow or widen width on a single nozzle... as far as I know. Perhaps simply attaching a raised platen to the TX's existing platen will add enough height to narrow the spray pattern of the SpeedTreater's existing nozzle. Thus narrowing the coverage and minimize coverage to just necessary area... And equipment zone wouldnt have to make alterations/concessions to their existing unit. Makes sense to me.. Thoughts on this Harry?

Greatly appreciate your interest in the SpeedTreater-TX auto pretreater. We control the width of the spray with the different spray nozzles we have. The nozzles change out in about a minute or two on the SpeedTreater-TX, allowing you to go from a 17 inch wide spray to a 12 inch wide, or smaller. You can see how quick they are to change in the maintenance video that is up. The best gauge of how well this machine lays down pretreatment is the real world feedback of actual owners of the machine, as indicated in multiple threads on the T-Shirt Forums. Now that there are several hundred of these units in the field you can get a good gauge that it does work.

_

Old August 13th, 2014 Aug 13, 2014 9:03:00 PM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipmentzone
We control the width of the spray with the different spray nozzles we have. The nozzles change out in about a minute or two on the SpeedTreater-TX, allowing you to go from a 17 inch wide spray to a 12 inch wide, or smaller.

_
Thats so great... I have a feeling we will be doing business together very soon.

Old August 14th, 2014 Aug 14, 2014 9:11:32 AM -   #35 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmedusa
Thats so great... I have a feeling we will be doing business together very soon.

I guess it's the suit or the SpeedTreater-TX.

_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0099.jpg (130.5 KB, 22 views)
limey likes this.

Old August 14th, 2014 Aug 14, 2014 11:11:46 AM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipmentzone
I guess it's the suit or the SpeedTreater-TX.

_
I got out of one suit (Corporate 'Murica' for 15 years)
- And jumped right into another one, eh?

Please PM me if and when you make progress with the TX attachments. I will call you guys soon... over there in Jersey, land of good pizza.

Old August 15th, 2014 Aug 15, 2014 5:16:30 AM -   #37 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Steven
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

the video link is down - is it still available somewhere? I would like to see what you did.

Old August 16th, 2014 Aug 16, 2014 10:00:23 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve2699
the video link is down - is it still available somewhere? I would like to see what you did.
Youtube took down my vid due to "incompatibilty" issues. not sure what happened. I will make another one next week and post a clearer video.

Apologize for the inconvenience.

The Following User Says Thank You to ghostofmedusa For This Useful Post:
scuba_steve2699 (August 17th, 2014)
Old February 19th, 2015 Feb 19, 2015 3:36:22 PM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Harry did you ever make any progress with the reduced spray area concept?
Thanks
Hope you are well

Sean

Old November 12th, 2015 Nov 12, 2015 11:05:30 AM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Hey Harry. Old thread, but was wondering if you ever got around to making a quick vid on the narrower spray nozzle for doing quick inside labels/tags, that you had mentioned last year... Either way, am interested in knowing what transpired on your end. I am still in the "suit" by the way

Old November 12th, 2015 Nov 12, 2015 1:05:10 PM -   #41 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi Ghostofmedusa, did you ever get your video reposted on youtube? I'd like to check it out. Thanks!

This is a discussion about DTG printing size labels - video that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in