Spectra DTG printers - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing

DTG Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of direct to garment printing. DTG printers include Brother, T-Jet, Flexi-Jet, DTG Kiosk, Kornit, Mimaki, Tex-Jet and others! Discuss and learn about this up and coming printing technology.

Spectra DTG printers

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 21st, 2014 Jun 21, 2014 4:30:30 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Spectra DTG printers

Spectra's website
Spectra 3000 Digital Garment Printer...the affordable DTG solution

I recently found out about the $8,000 "entry level" Spectra 3000 DTG printer which was described to me as well engineered by a member here. as there's no Spectra brand thread yet, I thought it a good idea to start one, especially for everyone to share their experiences with the brand.

as I'm looking to start my own graphics company and need to buy EVERYTHING including computers and software from scratch, a decent DTG printer for just $8,000 when most START at $18,000 would be a real help to being able to get started doing tees on the side.

I hope that more info comes to light on these units as there are a lot of us here that don't have unlimited funds to work with. my TOTAL budget is $18k. what good would a DTG printer be to me if I don't have a computer to even run it off?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2014 Jun 23, 2014 2:57:43 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: Spectra DTG printers

the silence was deafening

LOOK! a tumbleweed!

Old June 23rd, 2014 Jun 23, 2014 3:42:02 PM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Charles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,353 Posts

Did you notice the warranty only applies when you attend training and excludes printhead, encoder strip etc. I would not touch this period. There is another thread that discusses the printer. This is also listed on eBay.

Old June 23rd, 2014 Jun 23, 2014 5:14:31 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jeff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentcycle
the silence was deafening

LOOK! a tumbleweed!
Hello Bentcycle.
I think the "silence" is a great testament to the printers reliability. Unfortunately a greater percentage of customers come to the forum to vent about something bad than to praise a product. I can assure you there are many printers out there and growing and they work well. A good gauge is to look at past companies that sell a printer in this price range and you will find complaints here within a month or two, Spectra has a clean bill of health you might hear insight from folks that own a competing machine or frequently promote a competing product, but you will have to be wise enough to weed those post out, bottom line is to ask those that oppose if they have ever used the machine

"Charles"
as far as the warranty there are two options for the customer full price unit with full warranty and a lower price without which the customer signs off on at there choice. The only thing not covered on warranty is what touches ink, print head etc which is typical for the industry, because you cant control the way a customer maintains there unit.

As far as "training" spectra highly recommends/enforce training. this helps the customer and spectra in the long run. would you hand a teenager the keys to car that's never driven before and say have at it? same concept for dtg, training is in the best interest of everyone to protect your investment.. hope that helps a bit. If you have questions bentcycle call Spectra and they will sort any tech/questions,warranty/ training you might have.

Last edited by german13; June 24th, 2014 at 05:46 AM..

Old June 23rd, 2014 Jun 23, 2014 5:17:16 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

"no news is good news"... hmm... i hadn't thought about it that way as i haven't really browsed the specific brand threads. most DTGs are simply out of my price range. if i get into it, i'll only have $18 to start with, and have to buy EVERYTHING with that including my computer, graphics monitor, software & blanks etc. so the affordability of a spectra is very appealing to me.

i was a bit concerned though after seeing some warnings against fast t-jet (i think) & kiosk systems at the cheaper end of the spectrum.

as to working flawlessly, i wouldn't expect that from any printer as even kornits break, but something that at least works decently would be nice.

i was hoping at least a few people have at least seen one in person at a trade show if not worked with one hands on. i guess if i eventually do get one, it will be my responsibility to share my experience with it and help the community. if it really does work reasonably well, people should know about it as a lot of members here are smaller businesses i'm sure.

i was thinking that the product is so new that maybe no one has even heard of it yet. i got a heads up on it by a member i was already talking to about DTG FAQs and he gave the impression that he was impressed with spectra's craftsmanship, especially for the price.

hopefully, i'll be getting a sample shirt as i've requested one along with literature to see if it produces decent images.

i bought some custom shirts myself somewhere and was disappointed in the quality. i had fonts done in yellow on blue and green shirts, and it looked like someone did a bad job top coating a gallon of plastisol. it had to be DTG though as each shirt was a 1 off. i won't mention where i got them as they were under $15 each, and when i simply commented on a color "correction" the shop did on a dark gray i wanted over black and some slightly annoying repositioning done on my art, they sent me 3 more free earning my respect for customer service at the very least.

i wouldn't really want to invest anything though in any DTG that produces blotchy "poorly mixed" looking colors.

thanks for adding your 2 cents. i thought i'd go for a laugh if nothing else when i saw this thread going nowhere

The Following User Says Thank You to bentcycle For This Useful Post:
german13 (June 23rd, 2014)
Old June 23rd, 2014 Jun 23, 2014 5:32:46 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
"no news is good news"... hmm... i hadn't thought about it that way as i haven't really browsed the specific brand threads. most DTGs are simply out of my price range. if i get into it, i'll only have $18 to start with, and have to buy EVERYTHING with that including my computer, graphics monitor, software & blanks etc. so the affordability of a spectra is very appealing to me.

i was a bit concerned though after seeing some warnings against fast t-jet (i think) & kiosk systems at the cheaper end of the spectrum.

as to working flawlessly, i wouldn't expect that from any printer as even kornits break, but something that at least works decently would be nice.

i was hoping at least a few people have at least seen one in person at a trade show if not worked with one hands on. i guess if i eventually do get one, it will be my responsibility to share my experience with it and help the community. if it really does work reasonably well, people should know about it as a lot of members here are smaller businesses i'm sure.

i was thinking that the product is so new that maybe no one has even heard of it yet. i got a heads up on it by a member i was already talking to about DTG FAQs and he gave the impression that he was impressed with spectra's craftsmanship, especially for the price.

hopefully, i'll be getting a sample shirt as i've requested one along with literature to see if it produces decent images.

i bought some custom shirts myself somewhere and was disappointed in the quality. i had fonts done in yellow on blue and green shirts, and it looked like someone did a bad job top coating a gallon of plastisol. it had to be DTG though as each shirt was a 1 off. i won't mention where i got them as they were under $15 each, and when i simply commented on a color "correction" the shop did on a dark gray i wanted over black and some slightly annoying repositioning done on my art, they sent me 3 more free earning my respect for customer service at the very least.

i wouldn't really want to invest anything though in any DTG that produces blotchy "poorly mixed" looking colors.

thanks for adding your 2 cents. i thought i'd go for a laugh if nothing else when i saw this thread going nowhere
Bentcycle,

First, let me say that whoever gave you a heads up has great taste Spectra does not use the original Epson motor that was designed for paper, they use an upgraded powerful version designed specifically for moving a platen (check out how many other dtgs in its class do this what you see produced in the videos of the shirts is what you get. Spectra uses a customized version of Eukon digital rip software (same rip brand used on the Anajet Epson modified printers, ie fp 125, and sprint).

there are many facets to dtg. pretreat process is important to avoid any flaws in print quality (on dark shirts especially). we highly recommend the Viper One pretreat machine along with the printer. It sprays in both directions and has the highest quality uniform spray for a pretreat machine, Imho

Best of luck on your search, hopefully you can go see the machines your considering in person to make comparison!
EricDeem likes this.

Old June 23rd, 2014 Jun 23, 2014 6:22:47 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

yes, i thought i'd read that upgrade to the OEM motor feature regarding the spectra 3000 somewhere and was really impressed by that. taking a more expensive route for higher quality and reliability is a good indicator that someone's building gear with pride over profits.

i could go on a brief tirade about a couple companies i despise for their open hostility to customers in that regard, one, besides making my $80 soundcard i bought with a used computer a coaster by breaking it's drivers and suing a guy who used to provide working ones planned obsolescence style as well as LYING about 2 mp3 players they made. the 1st one was supposed to be w98 compatible but wasn't and the other supposedly played WAVs, but only lofi mono ones it recorded itself. oh did i ever hate the customer dis-service rep that argued with me about it with an attitude, telling me to convert all of my files to flac which i had no interest in doing and ONLY authorized a return after i caught his lie in print, and showed him his own tech proving him (and the companies packaging) to be lies. oh i really really hate that company now!

so now i've seen two nods of approval for spectra as well as knowing they put at least some upgraded durability into their product. maybe the motor only costs $20 more, but it's $20 (???) they'd rather spend on their customers than filet mignon.

even at that "affordable price", $8k could still buy me 4 used cars, not that i want anything to do with cars, so i'm trying to do some research to set my mind at ease. it will be a huge step if i get into DTG.

Old June 23rd, 2014 Jun 23, 2014 7:25:38 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

I can understand certain misgivings about a DTG at this price range being viable. However the Spectra has caught the attention of many high end mfgs and consumable supply companies. This is not because its a tinker toy. As for warranty, it is common, the rule not the exception that print heads, dampers, encoder strips, capping station, tubes and ribbon cables are not covered under warranty. Tech support can also be a costly item for most companies and is in the price somewhere. Spectra is the first, that I know of, low cost viable DTG entering the market with state of the art electronic programming and a higher end epson engine, which sports a pressurized ink system which will prove to be a major ingredient in reducing white ink issues. I think they deserve a good look, get some sample prints, remember washability is determined by the chemistry not the printer. Charles comment I believe came from a lack of knowledge of this printer and more from experiences with other low cost printers that have been sold on ebay. There are pretty high end printers on ebay. Also in reference to the K brand. My exposure to it is anything but stellar. Not exactly a bench mark for one to use. But JMHO.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spiderx1 For This Useful Post:
bentcycle (June 24th, 2014), cheapboxers (January 6th, 2015), german13 (June 23rd, 2014)
Old June 23rd, 2014 Jun 23, 2014 7:33:12 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Oh and BTW, I am very familiar with EK rip, the Version Anajet uses was an early version with very limited capabilities compared to the powerhouse it is today sporting pretty much every feature you could ask for in a Rip. Monstrous control of ink and output.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spiderx1 For This Useful Post:
cheapboxers (January 6th, 2015), german13 (June 23rd, 2014)
Old June 24th, 2014 Jun 24, 2014 1:54:39 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Spectra is the first, that I know of, low cost viable DTG entering the market with state of the art electronic programming and a higher end epson engine, which sports a pressurized ink system which will prove to be a major ingredient in reducing white ink issues.
hey, thanks for teaching me something new! i know that white ink on dark tees is one of the challenges of DTG and knowing that presurized ink systems improve the process is seriously important knowledge. +rep for that.

i haven't even begun to research ink formulations yet. i hope that spectra has an open ended system that lets users chose the inks they prefer. i'm not a fan of propietary systems where you're stuck using the manufacturer's ink only.

a couple years ago i bought a regular printer because i wanted to print on CDs. it sucked for inks though. it used cartridges with chips that not only refuse to let you refill the carts, but that also went dead as soon as ONE color is empty instead of allowing you to swap out just the empty color.

quality and eco friendliness are my two top concerns with doing DTG.

totally unrelated...
how do you switch your avatar's teeshirt color to black here? i could not find the option in my control panel where the update avatar feature is and where it should be and found nothing with a keyword search except threads about printing on black

Old June 24th, 2014 Jun 24, 2014 1:59:28 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You will be able to use the ink of your choice, be it good or bad, as long as it is a textile ink. To print on cd dvd etc you need a solvent ink. Solvent inks would probably melt certain components. Textile and solvent are not interchangeable.
Currently Dupont ink is at its lowest price ever if you shop around, so why go for second chair.

Old June 24th, 2014 Jun 24, 2014 3:35:41 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

i don't plan on printing on CDs. i was planning on doing that when i was trying to build a DJ system and wanted to produce slick looking demos.

as to the teeshirt ink(s) i go with, they will be whatever is most durable as long as it's non-toxic eco friendly.

it's nice to know i won't be stuck with "spectra cartridges"

white inks really seem to be the most critical aspect of DTG between cracking and clogging and fading. it's too bad no-one has done a shootout between brands all printed on the same machine and compare them after a bunch of washes directly. it's hard to compare tests when each one is separate.

Old June 24th, 2014 Jun 24, 2014 9:50:11 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
hey, thanks for teaching me something new! i know that white ink on dark tees is one of the challenges of DTG and knowing that presurized ink systems improve the process is seriously important knowledge. +rep for that.

i haven't even begun to research ink formulations yet. i hope that spectra has an open ended system that lets users chose the inks they prefer. i'm not a fan of propietary systems where you're stuck using the manufacturer's ink only.

a couple years ago i bought a regular printer because i wanted to print on CDs. it sucked for inks though. it used cartridges with chips that not only refuse to let you refill the carts, but that also went dead as soon as ONE color is empty instead of allowing you to swap out just the empty color.

quality and eco friendliness are my two top concerns with doing DTG.

totally unrelated...
how do you switch your avatar's teeshirt color to black here? i could not find the option in my control panel where the update avatar feature is and where it should be and found nothing with a keyword search except threads about printing on black
Spectra recommends and carries DuPont Artistri brand ink, they will also direct you to known (Verified) DuPont Oem ink dealers closest to your location (which is referenced thru DuPont). You can use any flavor ink you like but DuPont is the recommended brand and what the rip is profiled to..

Old June 25th, 2014 Jun 25, 2014 6:09:20 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem

There isn't that many DTG ink manufactures out there. 98% of the DTG printer manufacturers use/sell DuPont. Some just relabel it and call it something different. The other thing to remember with inks are that the RIP color profiles are developed using a specific ink set to create the correct color replication. Using a different ink could result in undesirable print quality.

Old June 25th, 2014 Jun 25, 2014 8:47:31 AM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Charles
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,353 Posts

Quote:
totally unrelated...
Your tee shirt color depends on the number of posts. I"think"you get a black tee after 1000 posts. After 3000 or so (I forget the exact number) you can choose the color of your tee

Last edited by Rodney; June 25th, 2014 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: added original quote so folks could see that this reply isn't off topic :)

This is a discussion about Spectra DTG printers that was posted in the Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in